PDA

View Full Version : Richar looking good

tdwiek
08-05-2007, 12:03 PM
I was very dissapointed at first with the loss of Iguchi, as I'm sure many of you are. However, after watching Richar the last few games, I am very impressed with his defensive abilities. He has far more range than Iguchi has. And he put down a nice bunt against Detroit last night.

soxfanreggie
08-05-2007, 12:07 PM
Completely agree! I am looking forward to seeing how he progresses in the off season and have confidence right now that he's ready for a much longer stint in the bigs. You need someone in the line-up who can get a bunt down, combined with his defense, will really help the Sox next year.

jabrch
08-05-2007, 12:29 PM
There was no reason to keep Iguchi - if we want him back next year, it seems that bridge is still open. I hope Iguchi goes out and wins his second World Series title. I hope Aaron Cunningham makes it in Arizona. Meanwhile, we get a chance to see what Richar can be.

soxwon
08-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Lil Richar- A.L. Allstar 09
whoo whoo

Mr. White Sox
08-05-2007, 02:19 PM
Lil Richar- A.L. Allstar 09
whoo whoo

It's hard to see Richar ever becoming an all-star, but with the dearth of talent at second in the AL, I suppose it's possible. Of course, Dustin Pedroia will most likely be a 15-time all-star by the time his career is over, just because of the city he plays in, his "scrappiness", and the lack of talent elsewhere.

Richar has a shot to be a solid producer in a lineup who won't hurt you defensively and can make some nice plays. Sounds good to me.

BainesHOF
08-05-2007, 03:21 PM
Richar looks like he has a chance to be the best overall Sox second baseman since I began watching the team in the early '70s. I exclude Roberto Alomar, possibly the best second baseman in baseball history, since he was with us only a short time.

Orta was the best hitter, but his defense was shaky. Cruz was probably the best defensively, but he had trouble on the offensive end reaching first base. Durham was probably the overall best, but he could be erratic in the field and Richar already looks like he's smarter and has a better feel for the game than Sugar Ray.

At the very least, Richar looks like he can be penciled in at second base for 2008, which is no small thing considering all the holes and uncertainties we have at the moment.

HotelWhiteSox
08-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Potential lead off man?

whitesoxlass
08-05-2007, 03:47 PM
I agree with most of the above, I think Danny Richar has a chance to be here for awhile and I would just liketo see him get the ball out of his glove sooner and next time get a better jump on PUDGE before he tries to steal 2nd

Other wise, play on KID

:D:

MCHSoxFan
08-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Yep. I really loved what I saw of him and today really did it!!!!

soxfanreggie
08-05-2007, 07:04 PM
When asked what kind of ring he would like-All-Star or WS-I'm guessing he would choose WS. I think he's the kind of 2nd baseman that would be a part of WS championship team. Him and Owens have really infused some energy into this line-up.

Rockin Robin
08-06-2007, 10:20 AM
It's hard to see Richar ever becoming an all-star, but with the dearth of talent at second in the AL, I suppose it's possible. Of course, Dustin Pedroia will most likely be a 15-time all-star by the time his career is over, just because of the city he plays in, his "scrappiness", and the lack of talent elsewhere.

Uh, well that, and the fact that he's a damn good ballplayer.

Malgar 12
08-06-2007, 04:52 PM
I exclude Roberto Alomar, possibly the best second baseman in baseball history, since he was with us only a short time.

Not to mention Alomar was a shell of his former self by the time he put on his white sox.

soxinem1
08-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Richar looks like he has a chance to be the best overall Sox second baseman since I began watching the team in the early '70s. I exclude Roberto Alomar, possibly the best second baseman in baseball history, since he was with us only a short time.

Orta was the best hitter, but his defense was shaky. Cruz was probably the best defensively, but he had trouble on the offensive end reaching first base. Durham was probably the overall best, but he could be erratic in the field and Richar already looks like he's smarter and has a better feel for the game than Sugar Ray.

At the very least, Richar looks like he can be penciled in at second base for 2008, which is no small thing considering all the holes and uncertainties we have at the moment.

I like Richar so far, but Durham should still be with the team. He was signable and totally given away for nothing (we even had to pay OAK to take him). Overall, he was one of the best middle INF position players the White Sox ever produced.

Sure, he had a couple issues, but Durham was great on popups and DP's. Iguchi's production was less and has far less range than Durham had when he was here, and he's labeled a hero.

My major gripe with Durham was that he never developed into a better baserunner and bunter. He probably could have hit .300+ if he mastered bunting better. Sometimes he waas a bonehead on defense, but he got to a lot more balls than Iguchi.

But I cannot make judgement on Richar after, what 7-8 games, that he is MLB ready.

Honestly, I'd like to see him at SS.

Foulke You
08-06-2007, 06:19 PM
I like Richar so far, but Durham should still be with the team. He was signable and totally given away for nothing (we even had to pay OAK to take him). Overall, he was one of the best middle INF position players the White Sox ever produced.

Sure, he had a couple issues, but Durham was great on popups and DP's. Iguchi's production was less and has far less range than Durham had when he was here, and he's labeled a hero.

My major gripe with Durham was that he never developed into a better baserunner and bunter. He probably could have hit .300+ if he mastered bunting better. Sometimes he waas a bonehead on defense, but he got to a lot more balls than Iguchi.

But I cannot make judgement on Richar after, what 7-8 games, that he is MLB ready.

Durham was a quality overall player. My biggest beef with him on offense was that he fell in love with the long ball for long stretches too often which bumped up his strikeout and popup total. He would have been better served being more of a singles hitter with his above average speed. (*Hawk Voice* I looooooved to watch Ray run) He also had the most uneven defensive ability I've ever seen in a 2B. He made great plays when he ranged to his left but couldn't make the plays nearly as well moving to his right. I could never figure that one out with him.

While I like what I've seen out of Richar so far, I agree with you though, we have way too small of a sample size to decide what type of player he is going to be. I think we'll know more about him by the end of September though. Hopefully, we'll all feel comfortable with him starting at 2B for the '08 Sox and that will be one less hole to fill via free agency.

GAsoxfan
08-06-2007, 06:30 PM

I keep seeing people throw out this idea. Richar was originally a SS, but he was an absolute butcher over there. I believe he led the minors in errors the year before he switched to second.

soxinem1
08-06-2007, 06:41 PM
I keep seeing people throw out this idea. Richar was originally a SS, but he was an absolute butcher over there. I believe he led the minors in errors the year before he switched to second.

It just seems his arm looks more natural throwing from SS, though his running backhand at 2B yesterday shows he has the athletic ability to play there.

That 'absolute butcher' stuff has to be looked at with a grain of salt. Guillen, Ventura, and Crede had high minor league error totals too, plus many minor league parks do not have major league groundskeeping methods.

I remember when former MLB OF Otis Nixon was a minor league SS and made like 56-60 errors in back to back seasons! Ouch!!

I also remember a certain former White Sox OF-now GM who was moved over to 3B.

Now those were butchers!

UserNameBlank
08-06-2007, 06:50 PM
Danny Richar really makes me wonder about the D-Backs' farm system. If this guy looks this good and wasn't even in their plans, who else do they have that we might be able to acquire?

Danny has good speed, is pretty quick and has nice speed, has some pop and has a pretty quick bat too. Me likely very much. Hopefully KW finds a defense-first SS of the same mold.

GAsoxfan
08-06-2007, 08:27 PM
It just seems his arm looks more natural throwing from SS, though his running backhand at 2B yesterday shows he has the athletic ability to play there.

That 'absolute butcher' stuff has to be looked at with a grain of salt. Guillen, Ventura, and Crede had high minor league error totals too, plus many minor league parks do not have major league groundskeeping methods.

I remember when former MLB OF Otis Nixon was a minor league SS and made like 56-60 errors in back to back seasons! Ouch!!

I also remember a certain former White Sox OF-now GM who was moved over to 3B.

Now those were butchers!

Here's a write-up on him from January 2006. Apparently footwork is his big issue.

Defense: This is where Drew/Upton might actually be doing Richar a favor. At one point in the season he led all the minor leagues in errors, and his 32 put him among the leaders overall at the end of the year. Richar has a cannon for an arm, but his footwork has been a thorn in the Diamondbacks side from day one. He tends to throw flat footed far more often than he needs to, and is the type of player that will make a spectacular play, and the muff the routine grounder.
Of course, at second base throwing flat footed is the norm, and the focus can be learned. After Drew signed and claimed the shortstop job, Richar saw extensive time at second base, and that might be his clearest shot to the Majors. His speed led some to believe that center field might be his eventual destination, but that may have been as much about the dearth of center fielders in the D'Backs system as anything Richar showed

http://diamondbacks.scout.com/2/494556.html

FarWestChicago
08-06-2007, 10:20 PM
Iguchi's production was less and has far less range than Durham had when he was here, and he's labeled a hero.LMAO!! Durham wasn't called The Fire Hydrant because he had range. Nobody with that much athletic ability has ever had such pathetic range. I guess you're a big fan of fly balls to the warning track, too. :D:

TornLabrum
08-06-2007, 10:23 PM
LMAO!! Durham wasn't called The Fire Hydrant because he had range. Nobody with that much athletic ability has ever had such pathetic range. I guess you're a big fan of fly balls to the warning track, too. :D:

Let's be more precise. Durham's range was pretty good going to his left. His range going to the right was nothing short of pathetic.

itsnotrequired
08-06-2007, 10:58 PM
Let's be more precise. Durham's range was pretty good going to his left. His range going to the right was nothing short of pathetic.
true dat

Brian26
08-06-2007, 11:01 PM
LMAO!! Durham wasn't called The Fire Hydrant because he had range. Nobody with that much athletic ability has ever had such pathetic range. I guess you're a big fan of fly balls to the warning track, too. :D:

Ray Durham = the biggest garbage time player I've ever seen in a Sox uniform. He'd always give you that meaningless solo home run in the 8th inning after the Sox were already down by six. Good luck, though, if he ever came up with men in scoring position late in a close game.

soxinem1
08-06-2007, 11:10 PM

Except for maybe Joey Cora, Scott Fletcher, and Julio Cruz before he hurt his foot, I don't really remember who the last 2B was that had any kind of range to both sides. But none of those guys were around long, and Durham was aces on the DP and those goofy pop-ups or Texas Leaguers.

I never said Durham was perfect, and I agree, he used to cheat off the bag a little too much. But all in all, he brought more to the table than anyone I recall in my lifetime of White Sox 2B and was one of the better players the Sox produced up the middle in a long, long, time.

JorgeFabregas
08-06-2007, 11:39 PM
Gooch and Durham's career fielding stats are pretty similar, FWIW. I'm not entirely sure what to make of zone rating or Range Factor, but they seem more informative than errors or fielding percentage.

Gooch RF 4.78 ZR .829
Durham RF 4.85 ZR .811

Now, when you consider that Durham was much faster than Gooch back in the day and that Durham played more of his prime years in MLB than Gooch did you can see why he was often frustrating to watch in the field.

Bill Naharodny
08-06-2007, 11:49 PM
Danny Richar really makes me wonder about the D-Backs' farm system. If this guy looks this good and wasn't even in their plans, who else do they have that we might be able to acquire?

Same with Dan Uggla -- not in their plans -- and went Rule V to Florida, as I recall.

spawn
08-07-2007, 08:25 AM
I was a little skeptical of Richar when I'd heard he was getting called up, and the way Hawk and DJ were drooling over him. It reminded me of when the Sox traded Durham because Willie Harris was gonig to be our second baseman of the future. But I love what I see out of Richar. He looks to be a very good bunter, and seems to have the team mentality instead of the "me" mentality. And he looks like he has an idea of what he's going to do at the plate. I'm looking forward to seeing him for a full season next year.

HomeFish
08-07-2007, 11:46 AM
Good luck, though, if he ever came up with men in scoring position late in a close game.

There was that one game against Detroit where it was tied at like 12-12, and Ray Durham came in off the bench with a scarf around his neck because he had a really bad sore throat and drove in the winning run.