PDA

View Full Version : You go 9 or keep score?

soxwon
08-04-2007, 11:03 PM
Do you stay through all 9 innings, or leave early?
Do you keep score?
Ive been keeping score since the 80's but i give up aftert awhile 6-7 innings.
Ive usually leave a bit early depending on the score.

FedEx227
08-05-2007, 12:07 AM
I like to stay the whole game, no matter what the score is. I love baseball doesn't matter if its 8-0, 15-0, 1-0, baseball is baseball to me.

Palehose Pete
08-05-2007, 12:09 AM
stay all 9. always. unless my wife was giving birth, or some tragedy befell me or a loved one, i can't imagine leaving the park early. i don't keep score, though.

DSpivack
08-05-2007, 12:11 AM
I only leave the park early if it's a team other than the Sox. Even then, only if it's not a close game.

WhiteSox5187
08-05-2007, 12:17 AM
I've been known to come to the park late on occasion and when I come late, I don't keep score. I try to stay all nine innings unless it is a complete rout and the weather is miserable. But if the weather is nice and it is a rout or it is a good game in miserable weather, I will stay all nine.

thomas35forever
08-05-2007, 12:48 AM
I like to stay the whole game and in fact, never leave my seat. The fact that I've been keeping score at games since I was nine is a key contributor to that statement.

dakuda
08-05-2007, 12:49 AM
The only game I have ever left early was the 18-inning game against Boston last year. I brought my brother, and part of getting him there was my promise to have him home in time to take his girlfriend out to dinner.

Little did I know, their dinner was Quizno's. I thought he meant he was going to take her out somewhere where they at least bring your food to you.

I don't keep score. I just have no desire to do so while at the park.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-05-2007, 01:44 AM
I've never missed Thunderstruck but I did leave early once, and it wasn't my fault. (My sister left her car in a no parking zone and was afraid she was going to get a ticket.)

FireMariotti
08-05-2007, 02:01 AM
If I can control it, I try to never leave a game early. I want to enjoy the 9+ innings I paid for, especially with the way ticket prices are these days.

As for keeping score, I also find no interest in doing it at a game. I'd rather just sit back, relax, and soak in the game than worry about marking down a scorecard. I like to be sociable with the people around me whether I know them or not, and I find that many people who are busy jotting down the score do not seem approachable.

MUsoxfan
08-05-2007, 02:38 AM
I leave a game early very rarely...usually it's due to other obligations. I don't care what kind of game I'm at (baseball, basketball, football or hockey) ANYTHING can happen. For many years my dad would take me to games and always leave after the 7th in baseball or with 5:00 to go in hockey regardless of the score in order to beat traffic. I always got mad at him for doing that and in the last couple years when I've been the one supplying tickets, he never leaves early anymore. I always tell him that traffic is part of the game.

I don't keep score though.

Nellie_Fox
08-05-2007, 02:48 AM
For many years my dad would take me to games and always leave after the 7th in baseball or with 5:00 to go in hockey regardless of the score in order to beat traffic.I always thought that if you want to beat the traffic you shouldn't bother going to the game. Would you pay for a ticket to a movie or a play and leave before it was over?

eastchicagosoxfan
08-05-2007, 04:22 AM
I leave a game early very rarely...usually it's due to other obligations. I don't care what kind of game I'm at (baseball, basketball, football or hockey) ANYTHING can happen. For many years my dad would take me to games and always leave after the 7th in baseball or with 5:00 to go in hockey regardless of the score in order to beat traffic. I always got mad at him for doing that and in the last couple years when I've been the one supplying tickets, he never leaves early anymore. I always tell him that traffic is part of the game.

I don't keep score though.
I like to stay for the whole game. My dad hates baseball. But, he took my brothers and I to games, maybe two a year. He always had us out of the park by the end of the seventh. I think the moment I had a friend with a drivers license, he handed me the tickets he got through work.

Railsplitter
08-05-2007, 06:14 AM

Beating traffic. Ever carefully watch the clip of Kirk Gibson's 1988 Series homer? About the time you see ball reaches peak height, you can see a set of brake lights come on. You can miss something like that

Bucky F. Dent
08-05-2007, 07:24 AM
I stay all nine and I keep score when there are not small children involved.

I have left early once in my career as a baseball fan. We were in lower deck seats at Victory Field in Indianapolis. My daughter was just over two at the time, and she was having a meltdown which had gotten beyond the point of being "cute" for those around us.

We learned our lesson, when I'm with my kids, we sit in the grass outfield "bleachers" at the Vic. I do not consider those games that I have attended as much as picnics with a baseball game nearby.

johnr1note
08-05-2007, 08:03 AM
If at all possible, I stay the entire game. I have only left the park early when there's an unavoidable situation (e.g., the rain delay on opening day, 2006 -- I had my then 8 year old son with me, and he had school the next day, so we had to leave before play resumed).

I used to keep score religiously, from the time I was a lad, until about the time I was in my early 30s. (I am 47 now). My Dad, who is as much a baseball zealot as anyone and who I shared season tickets with for years, derided me for keeping score. He claimed you might miss something important. In reality, once I started bringing my kids to the games, it was hard to keep score AND help keep the kids in the game through conversation. I guess I don't multi-task well. Now I just sit and enjoy the game AND the company of those around me.

BRDSR
08-05-2007, 08:40 AM
In '04 I left an April game in the 9th inning that the White Sox were losing by three runs. The White Sox won by one run. I've haven't left a game early since.

I keep score sometimes. My wife likes to keep score even more than I do, strangely, so I usually fill in for 2-3 innings. I can take it or leave it though.

oeo
08-05-2007, 08:48 AM
In '04 I left an April game in the 9th inning that the White Sox were losing by three runs. The White Sox won by one run. I've haven't left a game early since.

Not only can anything happen in a baseball game (unlike most other sports), I feel if I paid full price for a ticket, I'm getting my money's worth. Whether they're losing 15-0 or winning 15-0, leaving early would be a waste.

Brian26
08-05-2007, 09:37 AM
I kept score for every game I went to in 2005 except for World Series Game 1. I kept score for most of the games I went to last year.

I filled up two Scoremasters in those two years and never got around to buying a new one, until this past week. I haven't kept score so far this year, but I plan on doing it for the last two months of games I go to.

Brian26
08-05-2007, 09:39 AM
Not only can anything happen in a baseball game (unlike most other sports), I feel if I paid full price for a ticket, I'm getting my money's worth. Whether they're losing 15-0 or winning 15-0, leaving early would be a waste.

I generally agree with you, but there are times when you just know that it's ok to leave a little early. Case in point would be the second game of that Twins doubleheader last month.

oeo
08-05-2007, 09:55 AM
I generally agree with you, but there are times when you just know that it's ok to leave a little early. Case in point would be the second game of that Twins doubleheader last month.

See, but that's when 'anything can happen in baseball' comes up. There are some exceptions, but performance isn't one of them, IMO.

whitesoxwilkes
08-05-2007, 10:12 AM
I will occasionally leave early if it's a blowout...but never if the Sox are winning. I know, anything can happen.

I have kept score at about 95% of the games I have been to since I was 14.

LauraJ14
08-05-2007, 10:46 AM
My sister and I go to games and we rarely leave early. You never know what you might miss. I think the only game we left early in the last 5 years was opening day 2006, during the rain delay, because we both had to be at work early in the am.
My sister keeps score at each game, I fill in for her when she needs a break. I like that she keeps score because we don't get to hear the announcers telling us stats like Iguchi needs a single for the cycle or Dye is looking for strikeout #4 in the game, we can just look at the scorecard.

soxfanreggie
08-05-2007, 11:08 AM
Been keeping book forever, starting with when my Dad was finishing up his career. Usually only do it when I'm by myself or with a friend or two.

As for leaving the game early, never a Sox game. If it's a minor league game, college game, or HS game and a blow-out...don't mind leaving early. If it's a game I'm umpiring and is a blowout early, heck yes I feel like leaving.

The Critic
08-05-2007, 12:04 PM
I haven't seen the end of a game in a long time.
I like to arrive early to catch BP, relax and soak in the ballpark setting, and I like to leave early to avoid traffic jams and crowded train cars.
I really don't care if I miss something. I enjoy baseball, it's my favorite sport since Wirtz damaged my love of hockey, but I don't feel the need to see every second of every game.
My daughter likes to leave early, too, and that's perfectly fine by me.

WhiteSox5187
08-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Been keeping book forever, starting with when my Dad was finishing up his career. Usually only do it when I'm by myself or with a friend or two.

As for leaving the game early, never a Sox game. If it's a minor league game, college game, or HS game and a blow-out...don't mind leaving early. If it's a game I'm umpiring and is a blowout early, heck yes I feel like leaving.
I've always wondered if umps felt like that, like a MLB game between say Pittsburg and Cincy in the middle of August and its' a blow out if the ump tells the batter "Ya better swing, cuz if it's close, it's gonna be a strike."

bigsoxfan420
08-05-2007, 02:01 PM
I usually stay all nine innings, but there are occasions when I have left early. I haven't left early since I moved to the city, since I take the Red Line I don't really care about traffic. As for keeping score, never. I never learned and don't really care to.

On the side, does anyone LISTEN to the game on radio while at the Park? I always thought that was strange and anti-social.

HomeFish
08-05-2007, 02:26 PM
I went through a phase where I kept score, but I don't do it anymore. I feel it takes me out of the game. I can't really stand up and clap if I have paper and pencil in hand, and if I have to write down what just happened.

soxfanreggie
08-05-2007, 06:29 PM
WhiteSox5187,

Maybe I should provide some background. I umpire a lot of Little League games in the area. My job prevents me from doing most school ball games. We have two leagues in town..BNBA and AJB. AJB is more recreational as BNBA is travel teams. I do mostly AJB games. Sometimes I am stuck at games that are 18 or 20 to 0 after 3 innings. I had a coach who was down 24-0 (it was a league that limited a team to 6 runs per inning) and wouldn't end the game. Thus, they had to institute a 15-run rule after 3.5 innings, in addition to the 10-run rule after 4.5.

If I was umpiring more competitive ball, I wouldn't want to leave. However, there are some games where it's just inhuman to keep playing (I'm talking 20, 30, or 40 to nothing). It's also a drag on the umpires when one team is dejected and one team really isn't trying anymore but one coach won't end it.

If I got an MLB level salary, I certainly wouldn't want to leave, but I'm getting probably $4 to $6 per hour umpiring...more for the love of the game and so the kids have an umpire there. Things got better in the league tournament where there were more competitive games. Sometimes the leagues have 2 or 3 teams that are awesome, a couple mediocre teams, and then a bunch of teams with little to no experience.

Brian26
08-05-2007, 07:51 PM
I went through a phase where I kept score, but I don't do it anymore. I feel it takes me out of the game. I can't really stand up and clap if I have paper and pencil in hand, and if I have to write down what just happened.

I'm the opposite- I feel like keeping score keeps me in the game. Writing down what happens only takes a second or two- it doesn't detract from the game experience at all. It only enhances it.

MDF3530
08-05-2007, 07:55 PM
I stay the whole game even if my team is getting blown out.

ilsox7
08-05-2007, 08:01 PM
I've never stayed past the 3rd inning.

Viva Medias B's
08-05-2007, 08:05 PM
I usually stay the whole game. When I do leave before the game ends, its usually when the Sox are seemingly hopelessly behind.

Also, I do keep score.

Brian26
08-05-2007, 08:06 PM
I've never stayed past the 3rd inning.

Shall I assume you've never "switched by the seventh" then? Shame. :D:

MCHSoxFan
08-05-2007, 08:54 PM
stay all 9. always. unless my wife was giving birth, or some tragedy befell me or a loved one, i can't imagine leaving the park early. i don't keep score, though.

Same as me. I just love being at the ballpark. Do not keep score, either.

MCHSoxFan
08-05-2007, 08:55 PM
Shall I assume you've never "switched by the seventh" then? Shame. :D:

Nice one!!! :D:

Etownsox13
08-05-2007, 09:18 PM
Stay all nine always (the first exception being that Sunday Cub game this year, couldn't take it anymore)...As for keeping score, it depends who I go with, if I go in a group, usually no keeping score, if I go with only one other person then I usually do.

esbrechtel
08-05-2007, 10:52 PM
Almost always stay the whole game and usually get to use the quote..."That's why you don't leave early!!!"
I keep score on and off although this year I planned to keep score all the time but got ready to pull my hair out so I gave up...

MeteorsSox4367
08-05-2007, 11:21 PM
I'm the opposite- I feel like keeping score keeps me in the game. Writing down what happens only takes a second or two- it doesn't detract from the game experience at all. It only enhances it.

Thanks, Brian. That's exactly how I feel. I think I'm more into the game if I keep score. I can still shoot the breeze with whomever I'm with and still maintain my scorecard. Plus, I try to save 'em all for my archives.

As for lasting nine innings, my philosophy is pay for nine, stay for nine. Unless the weather is really awful (rain and/or cold), I'm staying. I love the game and the tickets cost too damn much to leave in the seventh.

WhiteSox5187
08-06-2007, 01:34 AM
WhiteSox5187,

Maybe I should provide some background. I umpire a lot of Little League games in the area. My job prevents me from doing most school ball games. We have two leagues in town..BNBA and AJB. AJB is more recreational as BNBA is travel teams. I do mostly AJB games. Sometimes I am stuck at games that are 18 or 20 to 0 after 3 innings. I had a coach who was down 24-0 (it was a league that limited a team to 6 runs per inning) and wouldn't end the game. Thus, they had to institute a 15-run rule after 3.5 innings, in addition to the 10-run rule after 4.5.

If I was umpiring more competitive ball, I wouldn't want to leave. However, there are some games where it's just inhuman to keep playing (I'm talking 20, 30, or 40 to nothing). It's also a drag on the umpires when one team is dejected and one team really isn't trying anymore but one coach won't end it.

If I got an MLB level salary, I certainly wouldn't want to leave, but I'm getting probably $4 to $6 per hour umpiring...more for the love of the game and so the kids have an umpire there. Things got better in the league tournament where there were more competitive games. Sometimes the leagues have 2 or 3 teams that are awesome, a couple mediocre teams, and then a bunch of teams with little to no experience.
Well...I didn't think you were an MLB ump! But I imagine ya know, for a regular MLB ump to be in the middle of a blow out in 95+ heat in a game that has no importance to the playoffs in the middle of August, it can't be any fun.

I also must defend the art of keeping score, I've seen here that people are saying "It takes me out of hte game, I can't enjoy conversation, can't stand up and clap..." and I gotta say I keep score at most every game and I have absolutely no problem in keeping up conversation or jumping up out of my seat and clapping when Paulie hits a HR or something....but maybe I'm just a good multi-tasker.

tacosalbarojas
08-06-2007, 12:51 PM
Thanks, Brian. That's exactly how I feel. I think I'm more into the game if I keep score. I can still shoot the breeze with whomever I'm with and still maintain my scorecard. Plus, I try to save 'em all for my archives.

As for lasting nine innings, my philosophy is pay for nine, stay for nine. Unless the weather is really awful (rain and/or cold), I'm staying. I love the game and the tickets cost too damn much to leave in the seventh.
Gospel all around here for my money. It only takes a second to write down 5-3 - scorekeepers are accessible - talk to us!

ChiSoxGirl
08-06-2007, 05:37 PM

Gospel all around here for my money. It only takes a second to write down 5-3 - scorekeepers are accessible - talk to us!

I agree with all of you guys. I keep score in my Scoremasters book at probably 95% of ballgames I go to- home & away- because it keeps me more focused on the game and enhances my ballpark experience (and helps with saving money at the concession stands :wink:). But at the same time, I'm still able to hold conversations with my friends or other fans around me without a problem. I may have to tell someone to hang on for a minute while I score a tough play, record a pitching change, or tally up a pitcher's numbers, but it's not a big deal. I can even be seen texting while keeping score sometimes! Tacosalbarojas is right, talk to us - we're accessible! :smile:

IlliniSox4Life
08-07-2007, 02:49 AM

That's probably the only game I've left early from in the last 5 or 6 years (well, I left early from an Angels-Seattle game in Anaheim, but if it's not the Sox it doesn't count). Even then, I think I stayed into the 9th inning, but left before it was officially over.

Chez
08-07-2007, 01:49 PM
I stay till the end -always, alway, always! Few things in life are more enjoyable to me than attending an MLB game. And I keep score -- have every scorecard from games I've attended since 1970 (10-20 games per year).