MCHSoxFan
08-04-2007, 09:08 PM
Man, today was just GREAT!!!

Frater Perdurabo
08-04-2007, 09:08 PM
Nice job by everyone except MacDougal.

whitesoxfan
08-04-2007, 09:10 PM
Let's close out the deal and sweep these *****es.

Frater Perdurabo
08-04-2007, 09:11 PM
I like my postgame thread title better. :tongue:

I know that "winning series" means little more than a moral victory at this point.

Still, it's nice to get another win against a quality team above us in the standings.

Let's all hope that Gavin figures things out tomorrow and that the bats come out to give him some staunch run support.

SOXBOY
08-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Ozzie no sunday B.S. line-up we need to sweep!

cbone
08-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Nice win, sweep em tomorrow!!

MCHSoxFan
08-04-2007, 09:13 PM
I like my postgame thread title better. :tongue:

Well, you know, I like to be the *Postgame Person* :D:

Frater Perdurabo
Let's close out the deal and sweep these *****es.

Yes, a sweep would be sweet! With this schedule the Sox have remaining, I really think they can hurt a lot of teams' postseason prospects. It would be nice to have some momentum going into next season, not unlike how better play in the second half of 1989 served as a springboard into 1990.

TomParrish79
http://www.fmstar.com/graphic/j/j0171.jpg
Starting to come together!

Vernam
08-04-2007, 09:14 PM
I'll never understand why some contending team didn't snap up Jermaine before the deadline.

The Sox have nothing to lose now, and they might end up as a team that no contender wants to face these last couple of months.

Vernam

Frater Perdurabo
Well, you know, I like to be the *Postgame Person* :D:

How long before the game ended did you start typing up your postgame thread? :redface:

cheezheadsoxfan
Nice win. Where are all the Javy haters?:redneck

MCHSoxFan
08-04-2007, 09:15 PM

Well, Hall will NOT be in the line-up. He did play yesterday. Erstad/Andy will probobly play tomorrow. We just need for Gavin to go the distance tomorrow. Last time he pitched, (Which was aginst DET), the Sox did something we are not used to this year. A come-back.

Frater Perdurabo
08-04-2007, 09:16 PM
I'll never understand why some contending team didn't snap up Jermaine before the deadline.

The Sox have nothing to lose now, and they might end up as a team that no contender wants to face these last couple of months.

Vernam

I think JD is using that as some serious motivation. I hope he decides to stay with the Sox and that he carries that chip on his shoulder into next season, to have another season like his monstrous 2006.

Frater Perdurabo
08-04-2007, 09:17 PM

The Sox really have a solid rotation.

Buehrle may not have "Randy Johnson" stuff, but he's an ace. Vazquez always has had "ace" stuff. Now he's putting it together, too. The Tigers' radio announcers really had a lot of nice things to say about him, too.

JB98
08-04-2007, 09:18 PM
Nice win. Detroit has to be sick of playing us. We're 5-2 against the Tigers in the past couple weeks. Let's make it 6-2 tomorrow and make it really hurt.

DrewSox56
08-04-2007, 09:18 PM

Great minds think alike (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1652628&postcount=84)

JB98
08-04-2007, 09:19 PM

Buehrle may not have "Randy Johnson" stuff, but he's an ace. Vazquez always has had "ace" stuff. Now he's putting it together, too. The Tigers' radio announcers really had a lot of nice things to say about him, too.

The rotation is why I have hope for 2008. Quality starting pitching is the hardest thing to acquire in baseball. We have it. The other parts of our team are broken, but KW can fix it all in one offseason if he acts wisely.

Frater Perdurabo
08-04-2007, 09:21 PM
Nice win. Detroit has to be sick of playing us. We're 5-2 against the Tigers in the past couple weeks. Let's make it 6-2 tomorrow and make it really hurt.

I don't like our odds. The Sox are facing Jordan Tata tomorrow. (Jordan Who?) We all know how well the Sox hit rookie pitchers. Plus, we've got Floyd going for us. Then again, he's waaaaay overdue for a great start.

JB98
08-04-2007, 09:22 PM
I don't like our odds. The Sox are facing Jordan Tata tomorrow. (Jordan Who?) We all know how well the Sox hit rookie pitchers. Plus, we've got Floyd going for us. Then again, he's waaaaay overdue for a great start.

I don't like our odds either. Hopefully, Floyd will surprise us. Tomorrow is the difference between an OK trip and a great trip.

lostfan
08-04-2007, 09:23 PM
I love ruining the division race. If I can't have it I want to be a hater. Nobody else can have it either.

GlassSox
08-04-2007, 09:24 PM

No Javy hater here! Great game Javy. :D:

MCHSoxFan
08-04-2007, 09:24 PM
The rotation is why I have hope for 2008. Quality starting pitching is the hardest thing to acquire in baseball. We have it. The other parts of our team are broken, but KW can fix it all in one offseason if he acts wisely.

That is the exact situation. If KW is SMART...REALLY, REALLY SMART, during the off-season , we shall be doing quite well in 2008.

Frater Perdurabo
08-04-2007, 09:25 PM
I don't like our odds either. Hopefully, Floyd will surprise us. Tomorrow is the difference between an OK trip and a great trip.

What the Sox do have going for them is that all the pressure is on the Tigers. They have just lost two in a row to us (and four in a row overall). They have not been playing well. They are the ones trying to avoid being swept at home by a sub-.500 team. They are the ones who have gotten pwned by the Sox in their home park for the past two years. They are the ones who have fallen out of first place. By comparison, the Sox have to know that they probably aren't going anywhere. Therefore, they should have very little pressure on them.

Frater Perdurabo
08-04-2007, 09:25 PM
The Tigers announcers just mentioned that the Nationals have the longest current win streak in the majors: 5 games. :rolling:

Frater Perdurabo
08-04-2007, 09:27 PM
With Floyd starting tomorrow, will Contreras be available out of the pen?

It would be nice if each of them could just give the Sox four scoreless innings, and then go to Jenks for the ninth.

Tragg
08-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Nice win.

We are now .500 post all star break.

Walk and a hit from Richar in a tough batting position. Owens needs to get on base more - only 5 walks all season for a slap hitter.

A top flight CF and/or lead off hitter and we're back in the hunt....but easier said than done.

GlassSox
08-04-2007, 09:28 PM
Great solid game (although MacDoodle still scares me)! Get the sweep and stretch it into a long streak.

34rancher
08-04-2007, 09:31 PM
Great solid game (although MacDoodle still scares me)! Get the sweep and stretch it into a long streak.

20 games ought to do it...

Frater Perdurabo
08-04-2007, 09:32 PM
Nice win.

We are now .500 post all star break.

Walk and a hit from Richar in a tough batting position. Owens needs to get on base more - only 5 walks all season for a slap hitter.

A top flight CF and/or lead off hitter and we're back in the hunt....but easier said than done.

It's too bad that all the CFs on the market really are not prototypical leadoff hitters - they really aren't even high-OBP guys.

Tragg
08-04-2007, 09:39 PM
It's too bad that all the CFs on the market really are not prototypical leadoff hitters - they really aren't even high-OBP guys.

I think they're all a tad past their prime anyway (talking about the stud CFs on the market).
I'll take a fast gap hitting CF and a separte leadoff guy. We probably need to trade...we have a bevy of stud pitching prospects which should be in the rotation, pen or traded within a year or 2.

Owens needs to improve a lot to make this club next year, imo...a lot. But, Ozzie's batting him leadoff and giving him every chance in the world and I hope it continues.

Did Macdougal look as bad as his boxscore? Exhibit A why you don't give young talent for the professional middle reliever.

DrewSox56
08-04-2007, 10:01 PM
I think they're all a tad past their prime anyway (talking about the stud CFs on the market).
I'll take a fast gap hitting CF and a separte leadoff guy. We probably need to trade...we have a bevy of stud pitching prospects which should be in the rotation, pen or traded within a year or 2.

Owens needs to improve a lot to make this club next year, imo...a lot. But, Ozzie's batting him leadoff and giving him every chance in the world and I hope it continues.

Did Macdougal look as bad as his boxscore? Exhibit A why you don't give young talent for the professional middle reliever.

Mac was bad. We needed a K out of him. He couldn't deliver.

JB98
08-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Mac was bad. We needed a K out of him. He couldn't deliver.

At least he didn't walk anyone with a four-run lead.

I know....damning with faint praise.

Frater Perdurabo
08-04-2007, 10:07 PM
At least he didn't walk anyone with a four-run lead.

I know....damning with faint praise.

Very faint.

But you have to give him some credit. He's trying. VERY trying...

Vernam
08-04-2007, 10:19 PM
I think JD is using that as some serious motivation. I hope he decides to stay with the Sox and that he carries that chip on his shoulder into next season, to have another season like his monstrous 2006.I could see a one-year deal somewhere under $10M, with an option for the same amount and a big buyout clause. I just don't want to see two years (much less three) guaranteed. But yeah, I do hope JD's in RF for us next year.

If we finish Detroit tomorrow and then sweep Cleveland, I predict some seriously irrational exuberance will break out 'round these parts. :bandance:

Vernam

cheezheadsoxfan
08-04-2007, 10:22 PM
With Floyd starting tomorrow, will Contreras be available out of the pen?

It would be nice if each of them could just give the Sox four scoreless innings, and then go to Jenks for the ninth.

Sounds like a plan.:smile:

FarWestChicago
08-04-2007, 10:25 PM
Nice win. Where are all the Javy haters?:redneckThey are hiding, of course. They root for Javy to lose so they can proclaim themselves "brilliant" and run like cockroaches when the lights come on when he wins.

spongyfungy
08-04-2007, 10:31 PM
Anyone find this quote from Ozzie about Vazquez kind of unusual?

"He battled and gave us the innings we needed," manager Ozzie Guillen said. "This was a positive sign for him -- when he doesn't have good stuff, he's usually bad."

still funny

DrewSox56
08-04-2007, 10:35 PM
That's a compliment, and Ozzie is right.

I was surprised at the high pitch count in the 6th, for example, despite being pretty stingy.

He didn't have his best stuff tonight for sure, but he adapted. EXTREMELY good to see from Javy. That's what makes a good pitcher great.

JB98
08-04-2007, 10:39 PM
Anyone find this quote from Ozzie about Vazquez kind of unusual?

still funny

That quote by Ozzie highlights the reason I've never been a Vazquez fan. When his 'A' stuff is there, yeah, he's real good. But what about when he doesn't have it? He has struggled big time throughout his career with keeping his team in the game without his best stuff.

That's what's encouraging about tonight's outing. Vazquez wins without his best. That's something we see fairly regularly from Buehrle and Garland. It would be nice to see Javy toughen up and gut out games like he did tonight on a more regular basis.

DrewSox56
08-04-2007, 10:40 PM
That quote by Ozzie highlights the reason I've never been a Vazquez fan. When his 'A' stuff is there, yeah, he's real good. But what about when he doesn't have it? He has struggled big time throughout his career with keeping his team in the game without his best stuff.

That's what's encouraging about tonight's outing. Vazquez wins without his best. That's something we see fairly regularly from Buehrle and Garland. It would be nice to see Javy toughen up and gut out games like he did tonight on a more regular basis.

:thumbsup:

Nellie_Fox
08-05-2007, 01:13 AM
They are hiding, of course. They root for Javy to lose so they can proclaim themselves "brilliant" and run like cockroaches when the lights come on when he wins.Being negative is the ultimate "no-lose" proposition. They can glory in being "right," or they can say how happy they are that they were wrong.

Noneck
08-05-2007, 01:21 AM
They are hiding, of course. They root for Javy to lose so they can proclaim themselves "brilliant" and run like cockroaches when the lights come on when he wins.

It may not be negativity. It may be frustration, we all go through that and posting is better than kicking your dog. Unless you are the quarterback from the falcons.

ilsox7
08-05-2007, 01:32 AM
I could see a one-year deal somewhere under $10M, with an option for the same amount and a big buyout clause. I just don't want to see two years (much less three) guaranteed. But yeah, I do hope JD's in RF for us next year.

If we finish Detroit tomorrow and then sweep Cleveland, I predict some seriously irrational exuberance will break out 'round these parts. :bandance:

Vernam

JD has already said he will not accept a 1 year deal. We'll need to offer 2 with some sort of vesting option for a 3rd year if we want to sign him.

StillMissOzzie
08-05-2007, 02:39 AM
Nice game, another series win, but prolly too little too late. I did get a chuckle about Hawk trying to blow a little sunshine where it would not otherwise go, with (and I paraphrase here) "You know DJ, a good August and a really good September, you never can tell..."

Sure, stranger things HAVE happened, and the Sox got a lot of things going their way all at the same time for once...JD and some more of the offense are getting hot, the bullpen has been performing admirably, the starters have continued to do well for the most part...I'll start hyperventilating if and when the Sox go on a hot streak and win 8-9 more in a row, maybe 9 of 10, and get back to .500, but no sooner.

SMO
:gulp:

SBSoxFan
08-05-2007, 05:02 AM
How long before the game ended did you start typing up your postgame thread? :redface:

Who said he waits until after the game ends? :D:

Railsplitter
08-05-2007, 05:56 AM
:bandance::bandance::bandance:

The Sox haven't swept a series or taken four straight since sweeping the D-Rays. et's see both change.

Grzegorz
08-05-2007, 08:17 AM

Great win... This team doesn't roll over.

As for the White Sox having a solid staff I'd a little more pessimistic. There is a need for a fifth starter plus I'd like to see Garland drop that ERA a bit. As of late, Garland has had his struggles.

As a whole the potential to be a solid to an above average staff is there with Danks improving and Masset possibly being the fifth starter (Floyd has a lot to prove before he's locked down that fifth starter slot).