illini81887
08-04-2007, 12:29 PM
3run shot off of Kyle Davies

Crede_Fan
08-04-2007, 12:35 PM
Here's to 300 more.

JermaineDye05
08-04-2007, 12:36 PM
Congrats to Alex, hopefully he or Pujols will one day take over Barry's spot. I just don't think they used some sort of substance as Barry did, considering neither of them has really grown as Barry has.

MCHSoxFan
08-04-2007, 12:37 PM
Man, I was just about to post it. :(:

MCHSoxFan
08-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Thank God the Sox did not give it up to him. I thought it was funny how the Sox gave up a ton of home runs, however, A-Rod did NOT hit one off of us.

Also, didn't KC give up 499 to him? :D:

y2j2785
08-04-2007, 12:55 PM
At least he didnt do it against the Sox, congrats A-rod!

Woofer
08-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Congrats to him, hopefully he hits alot more, really surprised it didn't come off the Sox.

TDog
08-04-2007, 01:20 PM
With some players, milestone home runs take the pressure off and the home runs follow more frequently. The White Sox don't have to play the Yankees again, so that's not a problem. The Yankees play three more against the Indians and eight against the Tigers, so home runs there would be welcome.

It would be nice to see the Yankees miss the postseason, though. And other than home runs contributing to wins against non-Sox AL Central losses, I don't care if Rodriguez ever hits another home run.

itsnotrequired
08-04-2007, 01:34 PM
Thank God the Sox did not give it up to him. I thought it was funny how the Sox gave up a ton of home runs, however, A-Rod did NOT hit one off of us.

Also, didn't KC give up 499 to him? :D:

A mere 23 (4.6%) of ARod's homers have been at the hands of the Sox. Out of AL teams, only the Rangers have given up fewer (14) but he did play three seasons there. Also, those 9 fewer HRs come with 174 fewer PAs.

Amazingly, he has more HRs against the Mariners (26) than the Sox despite playing there for seven years.

MUsoxfan
08-04-2007, 01:45 PM
A mere 23 (4.6%) of ARod's homers have been at the hands of the Sox. Out of AL teams, only the Rangers have given up fewer (14) but he did play three seasons there. Also, those 9 fewer HRs come with 174 fewer PAs.

Amazingly, he has more HRs against the Mariners (26) than the Sox despite playing there for seven years.

I remember a double-header against the M's a few years back where he hit one of the longest HR's I've ever seen.

I'm actually surprised he doesn't have a bunch more off the Rangers. They've always had notoriously ****ty pitching and he played those 7 years with the M's

CubKilla
08-04-2007, 02:35 PM
Yay :rolleyes:

thomas35forever
08-04-2007, 02:45 PM
Good job, A-Rod. May you pass up Barroid in the distant future.

Rockabilly
08-04-2007, 02:52 PM
IMO he is one of the best players of all time..

Frontman
08-04-2007, 03:26 PM
Congrats A-Rod. I'm sure he's glad to get that monkey off his back.

Now, with all the homers the Sox gave up, I would of at least liked from them to give one to Alex; so I could of watched it live. Either way, glad to see the kid do it.

Now COME ON THOME!!!

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-04-2007, 03:41 PM
Good for him. As an above poster noted, I would LOVE to see him pass up Barroid in the future. Good luck, and here's to many more.

WhiteSoxJunkie
08-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Before this season, I wasn't much of an A-Rod fan. I didn't like him, but I didn't dislike him. This season I have found myself rooting for him just because of what Bonds is about to do and I would much rather have A-Rod have the record than Barroids.

wilburaga
08-04-2007, 03:59 PM
The ball landed two or three rows from where I was sitting for Thursday's game. Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

W

HotelWhiteSox
08-04-2007, 04:08 PM
Meh, for me everyone is now guilty until proven innocent, you can't tell by looking at body type with baggy clothes on top

Fool me once...

UserNameBlank
08-04-2007, 05:20 PM
Fool me once...
...shame on you.

Fool me twice...

...you can't fool me twice. :)

hose
08-04-2007, 05:24 PM
ARod is going to go down as one of the all time greats when he's done playing.

Domeshot17
08-04-2007, 05:29 PM
This is the only keeping me from being truly pissed about Barry being allowed to break the record, knowing Arod has a great chance to own it someday, and it appears rightfully so.

Frater Perdurabo
08-04-2007, 07:35 PM
ARod is going to go down as one of the all time greats when he's done playing.

I imagine the old-timey old timers who would defend Babe Ruth might have something to say about it, but A-Rod may go down as the best player ever.

Both have a batting title, but A-Rod is on pace to break the career HR mark. Ruth played most of his home games at Yankee Stadium, with its ridiculously short right field porch. A-Rod's played lots of places, but never in a stadium so perfectly configured for his talents (no left field as short as right field at old Yankee Stadium). Ruth pitched, but A-Rod has two Gold Gloves at shortstop, and probably would have more if Derek Jeter wasn't surgically and sentimentally implanted at the position. A-Rod already has more than double Ruth's total of stolen bases and is only 116 doubles behind Ruth's career mark for doubles.

FarWestChicago
08-04-2007, 10:10 PM
I imagine the old-timey old timers who would defend Babe Ruth might have something to say about it, but A-Rod may go down as the best player ever.You can dismiss the fact Ruth was a great pitcher if you want. But, let's see your boy Pay-Roid get somebody out from the mound. :wink:

Nellie_Fox
08-05-2007, 01:23 AM
Every rule change in the the modern era, real or de-facto, has been to help the hitters. They outlawed the spitter, took scuffed balls out of play, took dirty balls out of play (different issues), lowered the mound, put in "batter's eyes" in centerfield instead of customers in white shirts, took away the inside pitch, (allowing hitters to put on armor and hang over the plate while ejecting pitchers who try to push them back), replaced monstrously large ballparks with bandboxes. I'm sure I'll think of more.

TDog
08-05-2007, 02:58 AM
I imagine the old-timey old timers who would defend Babe Ruth might have something to say about it, but A-Rod may go down as the best player ever. ...

Babe Ruth stole home eight times.

If you want to compare Rodriguez to Ruth, you can ignore the fact that as late as 1927, Ruth hit more home runs than every opposing American League team. You can also overlook the fact that while Ruth has a .342 lifetime batting average, he was 94-46 as a pitcher. That's a .671 winning percentage.

StillMissOzzie
08-05-2007, 03:20 AM
Every rule change in the the modern era, real or de-facto, has been to help the hitters. They outlawed the spitter, took scuffed balls out of play, took dirty balls out of play (different issues), lowered the mound, put in "batter's eyes" in centerfield instead of customers in white shirts, took away the inside pitch, (allowing hitters to put on armor and hang over the plate while ejecting pitchers who try to push them back), replaced monstrously large ballparks with bandboxes. I'm sure I'll think of more.

MLB expansion has diluted the pool of quality pitchers.

Just tryin' to help!

SMO
:gulp:

Frater Perdurabo
08-05-2007, 07:37 AM

I guess we're going to get into the old farts v. young whippersnappers argument again. :tongue:

Some have estimated that up to 40% of MLB players - including pitchers - are juicing today. (A-Rod has never been accused of doing so.) Even those that aren't have access to better nutrition, personal trainers, year-round workout programs, etc. Most teams back then had one or two very good starting pitchers - who did pitch deeper into games than today's starters and started on shorter rest - but they also had several rag-armed pitchers throwing meatballs. Most hitters in Ruth's era couldn't do much with them, but Ruth did. Ruth was ridiculously better than the rest of his competition, in part because his competition was vastly inferior to today's competition. The "remainder of the competition" has caught up with the top superstars of today because the talent pool is worldwide.

In Ruth's era, a greater percentage of young American men played baseball, but:

- the U.S. population was smaller
- Latin Americans and Asians didn't play in the MLB
- African-Americans couldn't play in the MLB
- many men were killed or injured and permanently disabled in war
- many men died young of things like influenza and food poisoning
- many men were permanently disabled in farm or factory accidents
- many good players couldn't pursue an MLB career becuase they had to work a real job
- many great players in rural areas weren't noticed and therefore weren't signed by MLB clubs

Frater Perdurabo
08-05-2007, 07:39 AM
as late as 1927, Ruth hit more home runs than every opposing American League team.

You can also interpret those comparisons as "the rest of the AL completely sucked."

DoItForDanPasqua
08-05-2007, 11:35 AM
I guess we're going to get into the old farts v. young whippersnappers argument again. :tongue:

Some have estimated that up to 40% of MLB players - including pitchers - are juicing today. (A-Rod has never been accused of doing so.) Even those that aren't have access to better nutrition, personal trainers, year-round workout programs, etc. Most teams back then had one or two very good starting pitchers - who did pitch deeper into games than today's starters and started on shorter rest - but they also had several rag-armed pitchers throwing meatballs. Most hitters in Ruth's era couldn't do much with them, but Ruth did. Ruth was ridiculously better than the rest of his competition, in part because his competition was vastly inferior to today's competition. The "remainder of the competition" has caught up with the top superstars of today because the talent pool is worldwide.

In Ruth's era, a greater percentage of young American men played baseball, but:

- the U.S. population was smaller
- Latin Americans and Asians didn't play in the MLB
- African-Americans couldn't play in the MLB
- many men were killed or injured and permanently disabled in war
- many men died young of things like influenza and food poisoning
- many men were permanently disabled in farm or factory accidents
- many good players couldn't pursue an MLB career becuase they had to work a real job
- many great players in rural areas weren't noticed and therefore weren't signed by MLB clubs

Though only fair way to evaluate a player is to compare him to his contemporaries. It was mentioned earlier that Babe Ruth was hitting more home runs than whole other American League teams. Let's break it down further.

In 1927 Ruth hit 60 home runs while the American League hit, including those 60, 439. So Ruth hit 13.6% of all homers in the AL that season. In 2006 the bottom eight teams in the AL combined for 1310 homers. To accomplish the same feat as Ruth, a player would have to hit 170 long balls.

TDog
08-05-2007, 01:03 PM
You can also interpret those comparisons as "the rest of the AL completely sucked."

Which must have been why Babe Ruth was such a successful pitcher. As the holder of the all-time home run record by a wide margin, with his talent fading, he pitched on about three years rest in 1933, he pitched a complete game win. He pitched a 14-inning complete game World Series win in 1916.

In 1915, as a full-time pitcher (no games in the outfield) throwing 217 innings, Ruth hit just four home runs in 92 at bats. He faced 895 hitters and allowed three home runs.

By Ruthian standards, Rodriguez isn't nearly as good. Only once has he hit better than .321, and then it was only .358. When Ruth hit .393, he didn't even lead the American League, despite the dearth of talent at the time. he did hit over .370 four other times and once did lead the league. And while he led the league in striking out a few times, he never struck out 100 times in a season. Rodriguez has struck out more than 130 times in each of the last three seasons.

One thing they have in common is they have both been booed in New York. Ruth should have retired after the 1933 season, when he hit just .288. He hit just 12 home runs in his last two seasons. He also hit just nine home runs in his first four seasons, which were part of the dead ball era. When he hit 29 home runs, while still pitching, in 1919 he had almost three times as many home runs as anyone else in he league.

You can't compare the statistics. I'm not even a big Ruth fan. But if Rodriguez eventually pitches 17 shutouts as Ruth did, or if he even comes close, I'll consider your argument.