PDA

View Full Version : sox gain

soxwon
08-04-2007, 11:35 AM
In 12 days the sox have gained 4-1/2 games.
the twins have gained 3 games in that time
If we keep this up by sept 15 we should be in first place!!!
KEEP DA FAITH!!!

MCHSoxFan
08-04-2007, 11:38 AM
KEEP DA FAITH!!!

I will. If this does actually happen, I will be there when it happens. I will be at USCF for the WHOLE LAA series.

YEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!! :D:

hi im skot
08-04-2007, 11:52 AM
KEEP DA FAITH!!!

I'll have what he's having.

Frater Perdurabo
08-04-2007, 12:02 PM
It's like hoping for rain in the Sahara, but with all the games the Sox have remaining against the Central, in a weird sense the Sox "control their own destiny" if they start sweeping their opponents:

DET: 3 home, 5 away
CLE: 6 home, 3 away
MIN: 3 home, 3 away
KC: 6 home, 4 away

What is certain is that with all these division games, plus games against Seattle, Oakland, LA and Boston, the Sox will have a lot to say about who wins the Central and the Wild Card. They can help make or break the postseason hopes for a lot of these teams.

JB98
08-04-2007, 12:10 PM
I think we need to go 43-10 in our remaining 53 games in order to make the postseason. Every time we win, we peel a section.

WhiteSox5187
08-04-2007, 12:11 PM
Oh my God...folks, this team ain't makin' the playoffs, we can cause a lot of headaches for contenders and if we get red hot we MIGHT be able to be .500, but anyone who is thinking of playoffs should either be entering rehab or awaiting the men in white coats.

eastchicagosoxfan
08-04-2007, 12:34 PM
I think we need to go 43-10 in our remaining 53 games in order to make the postseason. Every time we win, we peel a section.

KEEP DA FAITH!!!

Just win today. One game at a time. Winning streaks, and sweeps are still one at a time. If the team finishes .500, it would be a surprise. On an aside, the Sox Pythagorean win formula puts them 19 games under as of today. Interpret what you want out of that.

TDog
08-04-2007, 12:51 PM
I will. If this does actually happen, I will be there when it happens. I will be at USCF for the WHOLE LAA series.

YEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!! :D:

Neither the Indians or Tigers would be good enough to win the AL East or West. Geography has created what appars to be a hot division-title race. It's doubtful the way the teams in the Central are playing that a Central team has a shot at the wild card, but that won't be clear until the end of August.

On June 20, the Sox fell 10 games below .500 for the first time at 29-39. They nave been playing 1 game over .500 since. On June 20, both the Indians and Tigers were 42-29, 11.5 games up on the Sox. The Twins were 6 games ahead of the Sox. The Sox were 2.5 games ahead of the Royals.

Since June 20, the Sox have lost a half game to the Indians, gained a half game against the Twins and lost a game to the Royals. The division has been stagnant. The Sox aren't in the process of a surge comparable to the 1951 Giants, 1964 Cardinals, 1969 Mets, 1978 Yankees or even the 2005 Indians. Making such a run is still possible. A three- or four-team division race is possible if the Sox and Twins put hot streaks together.

People around here like to believe that the AL Central is the toughest division in baseball, but it has been there for the taking this year, if only the Sox had played decent ball.

Taliesinrk
08-04-2007, 12:57 PM

That's What I'm Talking About!!!

Bobby Thigpen
08-04-2007, 01:01 PM
KEEP DA FAITH!!!
:bong:
Put it down and step away man.

DickAllen72
08-04-2007, 01:24 PM
People around here like to believe that the AL Central is the toughest division in baseball, but it has been there for the taking this year, if only the Sox had played decent ball.
Yep.

soxwon
08-04-2007, 01:25 PM
Put it down and step away man.

lighten up- its all in fun.
of course we wont make the playoffs, but its a fact we have gained
4+ games in 12 days.

DickAllen72
08-04-2007, 01:25 PM
KEEP DA FAITH!!!
It's going to happen. :gulp:

SOXBOY
08-04-2007, 01:34 PM
No matter what happens at least the Sox are playing much better.

Law11
08-04-2007, 01:34 PM

Yeah cause thats realistic..
They've shown us in the past year plus they are fully cabable of a run like that.

Juice16
08-04-2007, 01:45 PM
They've shown us in the past year plus they are fully cabable of a run like that.

I don't think you get his statement.

downstairs
08-04-2007, 01:55 PM
lighten up- its all in fun.
of course we wont make the playoffs, but its a fact we have gained
4+ games in 12 days.

Yeah, many teams do that in 4 days.

LITTLE NELL
08-04-2007, 01:57 PM
Oh my God...folks, this team ain't makin' the playoffs, we can cause a lot of headaches for contenders and if we get red hot we MIGHT be able to be .500, but anyone who is thinking of playoffs should either be entering rehab or awaiting the men in white coats.
I keep going back to 05 and how Cleveland almost caught us. For that reason Im not giving up, this team can and just might get hot.

QCIASOXFAN
08-04-2007, 02:01 PM
I keep going back to 05 and how Cleveland almost caught us. For that reason Im not giving up, this team can and just might get hot.
:lol:

areilly
08-04-2007, 03:28 PM

That would be awesome if the Sox finished second and just barely missed the playoffs because of two ****ty months of baseball out of the gate.

The Dude
08-04-2007, 03:33 PM
KEEP DA FAITH!!!

soxinem1
08-04-2007, 03:43 PM

http://www.movievillains.com/images/phelps.jpg

'Wrong team, wrong owner!!'

LITTLE NELL
08-04-2007, 03:50 PM
That would be awesome if the Sox finished second and just barely missed the playoffs because of two ****ty months of baseball out of the gate.
No ,it would be awesome if we won. The ****ty month was June, 10 and 18 in June.

MisterB
08-04-2007, 04:30 PM
http://www.movievillains.com/images/phelps.jpg

'Wrong team, wrong owner!!'

Yes, I agree that revealing a topless picture of Reinsdorf would not have the same motivating effect. Unless you peeled a section for each loss...

GAsoxfan
08-04-2007, 05:16 PM
At this point, I'd be happy if the Sox caught the Twins by the end of the season.

JB98
08-04-2007, 05:20 PM

I don't think you got the joke.

I obviously don't think the Sox are going to make the playoffs. In fact, I think they will finish around 75 wins.

balke
08-04-2007, 05:27 PM
But in this division 75 might just win it!!! /teal

MarySwiss
08-04-2007, 05:40 PM

Well, that's a bit extreme, don'tcha think? :wink:

I'm pretty sure most of us are figuring the team will miss the playoffs, but until they do, I see no harm in a little optimism. And as Frater said, we have a lot of games left within the division. So let's hope that if we go down, we go down with flags flying, heads held high, proudly singing "Don't Stop Believing."

As opposed to going down blaming some poor, hapless fan for interfering with a foul popup. :tongue:

NoNeckEra
08-04-2007, 06:17 PM
No, we are not yet mathmatically eliminated.
But in baseball terms, we've been out of it since early June, and there is no sign at all this is anything but a .500 team for the rest of the year.
Any more optimism than giving us an outside chance at catching the Twins is strictly "cubtalk".

Noneck
08-04-2007, 06:47 PM
And silly me keeps looking over the shoulder at the Royals.

John Barrett
08-04-2007, 08:37 PM
in '05 ...Cleveland was 14.5 games out on Aug 4 th ...they came within 2 of us by Sept. 27....today (Aug 4) the Sox are 11 games out ....there is still hope

Frater Perdurabo
08-04-2007, 08:43 PM
in '05 ...Cleveland was 14.5 games out on Aug 4 th ...they came within 2 of us by Sept. 27....today (Aug 4) the Sox are 11 games out ....there is still hope

Didn't the Indians cut the deficit to one game?

soxwon
08-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Yeah, many teams do that in 4 days.

we need minn to beat clev we beat det we are 11 out

John Barrett
08-04-2007, 08:47 PM
MN won and we are almost there

Noneck
08-04-2007, 08:57 PM

Clev wasn't in 4th place with 3 teams ahead of them, thats a huge difference..

Frontman
08-04-2007, 09:30 PM
Ok, letme hear ya!

Doooooooon't stop, belieeeeeeeeeevin!
http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2005/10/28/93CmhKrq.jpg

Dude, I'd like to believe, but it ain't happenin. Let the Sox play for pride at this point, and yes; stranger things have happened. But don't get your hopes up.

WhiteSoxJunkie
08-04-2007, 10:10 PM
Didn't the Indians cut the deficit to one game?

IIRC, it was 1.5 games after the Sox lost the game after the Crede walk off.

HawkDJ
08-04-2007, 10:21 PM
Look out AL Central

DrewSox56
08-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Clev wasn't in 4th place with 3 teams ahead of them, thats a huge difference..

Games are games. It makes NO difference.

Bobby Thigpen
08-04-2007, 11:00 PM
Games are games. It makes NO difference.
Uhhhhh.... Yeah it does matter. Because when the Sox beat one of the three that are in front of them, the other two benefit. You'r not just trying to catch one team. If you beat the Tigers 7 times, you may gain 7 games on them, but so may the Twins and Indians.

Noneck
08-04-2007, 11:10 PM
It appears that some posters on this thread have been infected with the cub virus and delirium has set it. Please get well soon.

gosox41
08-04-2007, 11:12 PM
It appears that some posters on this thread have been infected with the cub virus and delirium has set it. Please get well soon.

This virus will clear up with after watching a dose of Gavin Floyd pitch tomorrow. If his limited past is any indicatin, instead of picking up 3 games against Det this weekend, we'll pick up one.

Bob

DrewSox56
08-04-2007, 11:24 PM
Uhhhhh.... Yeah it does matter. Because when the Sox beat one of the three that are in front of them, the other two benefit. You'r not just trying to catch one team. If you beat the Tigers 7 times, you may gain 7 games on them, but so may the Twins and Indians.

Your formula doesn't work. If you keep winning, you catch up. It's that simple. You're looking at the steps, I'm talking about the journey.

Noneck
08-04-2007, 11:34 PM
If you keep winning, you catch up.

NO, you only catch up if the teams above you also lose.

John Barrett
08-04-2007, 11:35 PM
:darkclouds:This virus will clear up with after watching a dose of Gavin Floyd pitch tomorrow. If his limited past is any indicatin, instead of picking up 3 games against Det this weekend, we'll pick up one.

Bob

WhiteSox5187
08-05-2007, 12:12 AM
Some people here having (in jest, for the most part I hope) made the comparsion between the '06 Twins, the '05 Indians, '78 Red Sox, and '51 Giants, but correct me if I'm wrong, while they did make big comebacks, at this point in the season (August 5th) weren't they all OVER .500 too?

DrewSox56
08-05-2007, 12:14 AM
NO, you only catch up if the teams above you also lose.

Good luck in life with that attitude.

There are people who make themselves, and there are people who are made.

I know where you fit in. I get it.

DrewSox56
08-05-2007, 12:15 AM
Some people here having (in jest, for the most part I hope) made the comparsion between the '06 Twins, the '05 Indians, '78 Red Sox, and '51 Giants, but correct me if I'm wrong, while they did make big comebacks, at this point in the season (August 5th) weren't they all OVER .500 too?

It's your point - Look it up.

Bobby Thigpen
08-05-2007, 12:19 AM
Your formula doesn't work. If you keep winning, you catch up. It's that simple. You're looking at the steps, I'm talking about the journey.
Sorry Buddha.

Forget the fact that if you win 7 against the Tigers and the Indians win 7 those days as well that they are still some 10 games in front of you. Right?

DrewSox56
08-05-2007, 12:22 AM
Sorry Buddha.

Forget the fact that if you win 7 against the Tigers and the Indians win 7 those days as well that they are still some 10 games in front of you. Right?

It's ok. You can either W or L. Only options for our boys.

And change your screen name.

Noneck
08-05-2007, 12:23 AM
Good luck in life with that attitude.

There are people who make themselves, and there are people who are made.

I know where you fit in. I get it.

Attitude? It's a fact! A team can only gain ground on a team above if the team wins and the team (or teams in this situation) above them loses. This is not an opinion it is a basic fact.

DrewSox56
08-05-2007, 12:27 AM
Who disputed that?

I said as long as we continue to win, we can gain ground.

Was I wrong?

Noneck
08-05-2007, 12:42 AM
Who disputed that?

I said as long as we continue to win, we can gain ground.

Was I wrong?

Yes we "CAN" gain ground on any team above us that loses. I don't think you ever used that word before. You stated "If you keep winning, you catch up. It's that simple." That is not correct. I hope you understand now, if not, you probably never will.

DrewSox56
08-05-2007, 12:50 AM
So I had to say the word "can" profusely?

How did we get in the spot we are now? "L"s, that's how.

They came loose and fast too.

Get it?

Nobody is going to send you a special note telling you that you are remarkable for your negativity regarding the White Sox failing to make the playoffs, if that happens. "Oh, Noneck - you were so RIGHT! Have all my $ and my two daughters... Not."

Ok?

Do you UNDERSTAND?

We all know it's been bad. Everyone here loves this team.

All we can do is work hard to keep winning. Cleveland, Detroit - it matters.

I don't even know why I'm continuing to talk to you, to be honest.

CLR01
08-05-2007, 12:52 AM

How did we get in the spot we are now? "L"s, that's how.

They came loose and fast too.

Get it?

Nobody is going to send you a special note telling you that you are remarkable for your negativity regarding the White Sox failing to make the playoffs, if that happens. "Oh, Noneck - you were so RIGHT! Have all my $ and my two daughters... Not."

Ok?

Do you UNDERSTAND?

We all know it's been bad. Everyone here loves this team.

All we can do is work hard to keep winning. Cleveland, Detroit - it matters.

What the hell are you talking about? I don't know why you are continuing to talk either.

Noneck
08-05-2007, 12:57 AM

Get it?

Do you UNDERSTAND?

No, No and please don't. Thank you.

Bobby Thigpen
08-05-2007, 09:20 AM
It's ok. You can either W or L. Only options for our boys.

And change your screen name.
What's wrong with my screen name?

Sorry I didn't consult you first, master.

EMel9281
08-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Where's Jim Mora when you need him?

soxinem1
08-05-2007, 10:44 AM
This is not 1994 and not the AL West. Being as far under .500 as we are, and closer to last place than third we have to face the facts.

Winning a division with four starters, an under-achieving line up, and no bullpen is not going to cut it.

I believe KC may well be a factor when all is said and done.

Either way, we've gone a totally different path from pre-2006 when a lot of people were talking five-peat!!

DickAllen72
08-05-2007, 11:15 AM
89 wins will probably be enough to win this division. Will it be the Twins or the White Sox? That is the question.

TDog
08-05-2007, 12:10 PM
89 wins will probably be enough to win this division. Will it be the Twins or the White Sox? That is the question.

I wouldn't be surprised if the AL Central title went to a team winning in the 80s. The Indians and Tigers have been struggling lately. And of late, the White Sox have had a better bullpen than the teams at the top. I posted in June that if it were just the Indians and Tigers to catch, the Sox would have a better shot.

Every team in the division is flawed. It's possible that every other team in the division could go into a more consistent losing mode, playing .500 against each other and miserably the East and the West. The Tigers have eight games remaining with the Yankees. The Indians have just three. If the Sox get hot in that environment, they could get back in the race.

They couldn't get hot enough to win the wild card, though.

jabrch
08-05-2007, 12:16 PM
I love the optimism around here after a few wins in a row. It beats the hell out of the complete crap that this place is after a few losses.

That said, I fully anticipate watching the post season from my couch, not my seats at the park.

churlish
08-05-2007, 12:45 PM
I love the optimism around here after a few wins in a row. It beats the hell out of the complete crap that this place is after a few losses.

I agree. There's virtually no chance for the Sox to make the playoffs, but with the schedule they have the rest of the way, it is conceivable if everything broke their way.

At least the bullpen is better of late, too. That two-plus month span where the bullpen was disgusting was the most difficult time I've ever had watching Sox games. The score was irrelevant, as it seemed to be only a matter of time before the pen would blow the game open. Now, they're playing hard, a few guys are hot, and they are much more enjoyable to watch.

jabrch
08-05-2007, 01:00 PM
I agree. There's virtually no chance for the Sox to make the playoffs, but with the schedule they have the rest of the way, it is conceivable if everything broke their way.

It would take major miracles...I wouldn't bet on it. But WSI is so much more fun when we win - and it saves me the hassle of having to continually expand my Ignore List.

santo=dorf
08-05-2007, 01:13 PM
It would take major miracles...I wouldn't bet on it. But WSI is so much more fun when we win - and it saves me the hassle of having to continually expand my Ignore List.
So why don't you post somewhere else if you hate so much?

Not everybody is a fan of your "Sox can do no wrong, KW has won more titles than you" posts.

I would be curious as to how people would view this team if we somehow won this division. For more than four months this has been a bad team, one of the worst in the majors. If we somehow pulled a rabbit out of our hat and won the division, would everyone all of the sudden say we were no doubt the best AL Central team in 2007?

Noneck
08-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Optimism is great even if it is quixotic. But one needs to realize what is needed for the dream to be fullfilled.

MISoxfan
08-05-2007, 01:23 PM

Not everybody is a fan of your "Sox can do no wrong, KW has won more titles than you" posts.

I would be curious as to how people would view this team if we somehow won this division. For more than four months this has been a bad team, one of the worst in the majors. If we somehow pulled a rabbit out of our hat and won the division, would everyone all of the sudden say we were no doubt the best AL Central team in 2007?

If we won the division I would say we were the best AL Central team in 2007. Is there another way of deciding that I'm not aware of?

jabrch
08-05-2007, 01:30 PM
If we won the division I would say we were the best AL Central team in 2007. Is there another way of deciding that I'm not aware of?

I'm sure the dopes at BP, the resident geniuses and the propeller heads would find a wa to disagree with you.

eastchicagosoxfan
08-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Hope is free. I'll indulge.

Nellie_Fox
08-05-2007, 02:08 PM

Not everybody is a fan of your "Sox can do no wrong, KW has won more titles than you" posts.Let's not make it personal.

NardiWasHere
08-05-2007, 03:09 PM
If we somehow pulled a rabbit out of our hat and won the division, would everyone all of the sudden say we were no doubt the best AL Central team in 2007?

:?:

No, seriously, what does this even mean?

JB98
08-05-2007, 05:28 PM
I don't think we have any chance of making the playoffs. Still 10 games out with 51 to play and three teams to pass. We need a miracle, but if you've stuck by the team this far, you might as well keep watching and keep hoping. I sure as hell don't have anything else to do in August except hope for Sox victories.

The players on the team need to take the attitude that they're going to play this thing out all the way to the end, because you just never know. You don't want to cheat yourself and create a "what-if" scenario. There will be plenty of time to reflect on what went wrong when the season is over.

soxfanreggie
08-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Do we have a shot to win the Division? Yes. Is it likely with 3 teams ahead of us? No. I wish we could play the Tigers every day because we have done very well against them this year.

soxinem1
08-05-2007, 07:13 PM
I hope to all hell that they do come back, and I applaude the optimism some fans have shown.

I also like the fact that the crowds have not dwindled to 17K either.

But if we lose it, I hope it is by double-digits. The one thing I'd hate is to end up losing a playoff spot by a handful of games or less, and even give KW the temptation to stand pat, because even if this team does come back by some miracle, it is very flawed in several areas and needs many new. quality faces in 2008.

MarySwiss
08-05-2007, 07:22 PM

Well, the Twins won the division last year, but were one and done in the playoffs. The Tigers --OTOH--made the World Series as the wild card--and then proceeded to choke away the Series to a (cough!) NL Central team.

In other words, I don't think it's all that clear-cut.

Grzegorz
08-05-2007, 08:06 PM
And of late, the White Sox have had a better bullpen than the teams at the top. I posted in June that if it were just the Indians and Tigers to catch, the Sox would have a better shot.

The 2007 Chicago White Sox, much like their 2006 brethren, have not shown the ability to play consistent winning baseball.

It is possible that "the times they are a-changin'" but I wouldn't bet on a post season apperance in 2007.

The intrigue is in the composition of the 2008 version of the Chicago White Sox.

Etownsox13
08-05-2007, 09:25 PM
All that's really going to happen is we're going to open the door for the Twins to win it this year.

rdivaldi
08-05-2007, 09:58 PM
The one thing I'd hate is to end up losing a playoff spot by a handful of games or less, and even give KW the temptation to stand pat, because even if this team does come back by some miracle, it is very flawed in several areas and needs many new. quality faces in 2008.

Whether we win the division by 20 games or lose it by 20 games I will be sure of one thing, KW will NEVER stand pat.

jabrch
08-05-2007, 10:06 PM
Whether we win the division by 20 games or lose it by 20 games I will be sure of one thing, KW will NEVER stand pat.

No kidding - he won a World Freaking Series and didn't stand pat.

rdivaldi
08-05-2007, 10:21 PM
No kidding - he won a World Freaking Series and didn't stand pat.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

Thome_Fan
08-05-2007, 10:30 PM
[quote=Frater Perdurabo;1652400]It's like hoping for rain in the Sahara, but with all the games the Sox have remaining against the Central, in a weird sense the Sox "control their own destiny" if they start sweeping their opponents:

I don't know about rain, but I've always wanted to have tea in the Sahara...
:redneck

jdm2662
08-05-2007, 11:10 PM
To me, this reminds me of one those fake runs the White Sox go on late in the season and pretend to give us hope. How many seasons have they done that? I'm certainly happy they are playing better, but where was this all season? I'm really afraid this will open it up for Minnesota, which is the last thing I want.

ilsox7
08-05-2007, 11:15 PM
To me, this reminds me of one those fake runs the White Sox go on late in the season and pretend to give us hope. How many seasons have they done that? I'm certainly happy they are playing better, but where was this all season? I'm really afraid this will open it up for Minnesota, which is the last thing I want.

Who cares what it does for anyone else? I just care that this team has looked good for a few games now and some of the young guys are contributing.

munchman33
08-05-2007, 11:43 PM
To me, this reminds me of one those fake runs the White Sox go on late in the season and pretend to give us hope. How many seasons have they done that?

I remember one very special season when they didn't.

voodoochile
08-06-2007, 07:38 AM
I refuse to give up hope until it is all but mathematically impossible. I'm still mostly just hoping we can mess with the pennant race, but there are a lot of games against the division leaders left and the Sox seem to be owning those teams right now.

One game at a time. One series at a time. GO SOX!!!

eastchicagosoxfan
08-06-2007, 07:46 AM
Just win on Tuesday.

russ99
08-06-2007, 09:20 AM
It's like hoping for rain in the Sahara, but with all the games the Sox have remaining against the Central, in a weird sense the Sox "control their own destiny" if they start sweeping their opponents:

DET: 3 home, 5 away
CLE: 6 home, 3 away
MIN: 3 home, 3 away
KC: 6 home, 4 away

What is certain is that with all these division games, plus games against Seattle, Oakland, LA and Boston, the Sox will have a lot to say about who wins the Central and the Wild Card. They can help make or break the postseason hopes for a lot of these teams.

Let's get above .500 first and then see what's possible.

10 games back for me is usually the cut-off for having any shot at all and the Sox are right there now. If they can make a 4-5 game dent in the next 2 weeks, then we might have a chance, especially if the starters remain consistently good and the pen can hold it together.

Detroit and Cleveland are scuffling now, but I don't think they will the rest of the season. It's a big longshot for the Sox at this point.

MCHSoxFan
08-06-2007, 09:41 AM
You know, it is pretty funny. Right as the Sox start to play both the Tigers and the Inidans, they start to slip.

Now... LET'S TAKE ADVANTAGE!!!

Oh, by the way, does anybody know how SEA has been playing lately? Were the actually playing good teams? All I know is that they lost yesterday to BOS. Thanks!!!

Chips
08-06-2007, 09:44 AM
soxwon is one of my favorite posters here, optimistic guy he is.

balke
08-06-2007, 11:02 AM
I refuse to get optimistic, cause it really hurts when they start losing. But, I will root for the best. There's been bigger combacks in MLB history, and this team is now for the most part healthy and playing to their potential. At the start of the season, I thought they were the best or second best in the division counting out injuries. So theoretically they should now play like the best or second best through the rest of the season.

They could possibly even be better now with Owens and Richar looking good. Owens is probably more valuable than Ozuna right now.

MCHSoxFan
08-06-2007, 11:37 AM
soxwon is one of my favorite posters here, optimistic guy he is.

That what I thought and told him at Grinder Bash.

MCHSoxFan
08-06-2007, 11:42 AM
. Owens is probably more valuable than Ozuna right now.

I am soooo glad I JUST read that. I was talking to someone in the players tunnel (I just got back), and I saw Pablo Ozuna. He looked physically good. He did not have crutches or casts and he was walking noramlly.

itsnotrequired
08-06-2007, 11:44 AM
I am soooo glad I JUST read that. I was talking to someone in the players tunnel (I just got back), and I saw Pablo Ozuna. He looked physically good. He did not have crutches or casts and he was walking noramlly.

You were just in the player's tunnel?

Gosox1917
08-06-2007, 02:52 PM
I'll say this: Being 10 games out of first never felt so good.

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-06-2007, 03:19 PM
I'll say this: Being 10 games out of first never felt so good.

I agree with that statement. Focus on Tuesday and Tuesday alone.

Cat Thief
08-06-2007, 03:31 PM
Oh, by the way, does anybody know how SEA has been playing lately? Were the actually playing good teams? All I know is that they lost yesterday to BOS. Thanks!!!

MLB.COM

itsnotrequired
08-06-2007, 03:36 PM
MLB.COM

Never heard of it...

chisoxmike
08-06-2007, 03:38 PM
MLB.COM

Never heard of it...

:rolling:

WSox4life
08-06-2007, 04:19 PM
Food for thought:

Twins last year this date: 9.5 back, won the division (granted they were 20 games over and .5 out of the WC in back of us for the Wild Card, but irrelevant since they took the division)

Cle 05 this date: 12 back, ended up finishing 5 back since they choked against KC and couldnt beat our C lineup for 3 games, where one win probably wouldve gotten them in the playoffs. They were only about 4.5 back of the WC though.

MCHSoxFan
08-06-2007, 04:23 PM
You were just in the player's tunnel?

Yes.

Cat Thief
08-06-2007, 04:30 PM
Yes.

Just now. Still?

:dunno:

MCHSoxFan
08-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Just now. Still?

:dunno:

WHAT? If you wanna know if I was in the players tunnel, the answer is YES. I will be happy to answer another question. However, waht do you mean by, "Still?"

chisoxmike
08-06-2007, 04:38 PM
WHAT? If you wanna know if I was in the players tunnel, the answer is YES. I will be happy to answer another question. However, waht do you mean by, "Still?"

How? Why? Who did you pay? Etc...

MCHSoxFan
08-06-2007, 04:42 PM
How? Why? Who did you pay? Etc...

I am friends with a batboy (In the Sox clubhouse). Also, another preson who works in the clubhouse. Also, if there is opening, I am GUARANTEED the batboy job.

Cat Thief
08-06-2007, 04:44 PM
Who's your friend? Stuben?

MCHSoxFan
08-06-2007, 04:47 PM
Who's your friend? Stuben?

:D:!!!!! It's StRubin!!! :D: No, it's Mooney.

WSox4life
08-06-2007, 06:26 PM
MCH how old are you, Im guessing there is an age limit?

I think were doing it. We had higher expectations and bigger payrolls than those other teams whove done it, and we are overcoming some injuries. Some guys are coming back to normal and the guys that arent have been replace by young, hungry guys. Plus almost all of our starters can shut you down. Anyone who has watched knows the bullpen is better lately. So we have to go like 33-18? Thats how we started last year, and this is almost the same team, definately possible. One game at a time, when youre hot, when it rains it pours works both ways.

IronFisk
08-06-2007, 07:00 PM
Since when did so many on here think like cub fans?

MCHSoxFan
08-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Since when did so many on here think like cub fans?

What do you mean?

munchman33
08-06-2007, 08:01 PM
What do you mean?

I think he means "delusionally."

Seriously. It doesn't make sense even to bring it up. Maybe if they get it down to five. But that's a big if.

gosox3072
08-06-2007, 08:52 PM
Im disappointed in all these people who are just shooting down people with a bit of optimism for this season and calling them cub fans because of it. We are playing good baseball right now, hopefully we can make a run out of it and give us a little excitement. Its tough to follow your team when theres no excitement.

jdm2662
08-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Im disappointed in all these people who are just shooting down people with a bit of optimism for this season and calling them cub fans because of it. We are playing good baseball right now, hopefully we can make a run out of it and give us a little excitement. Its tough to follow your team when theres no excitement.

There is nothing wrong with liking how the team is playing now. However, the team is SEVEN games under .500 in AUGUST. They currently sit in fourth place, ten games out. Can the Sox come back to win? It's possible, but highly unlikely. Every year when the Cubs go on some type of winning streak, they claim it's their year! It's rather annoying to hear, and I can certainly see the reference.

All baseball teams throughout the season go on both winning and losing streaks. The 1989 White Sox are the worst White Sox team in my lifetime. They won eight games in a row at one point during the season. The 2005 World Series champion White Sox lost seven games in a row at time during the season. Also, the White Sox are famous for going on late runs in the season when they are way out of first place (see 1987, 1998, 2002, 2004 as some examples). With the state of the division now, had the White Sox lineup was even average, they be in a good position. MY thoughts on this latest run, where was this earlier in the year (queue in the Hawk's lame excuses/company propaganda)...

gosox3072
08-06-2007, 09:06 PM
There is nothing wrong with liking how the team is playing now. However, the team is SEVEN games under .500 in AUGUST. They currently sit in fourth place, ten games out. Can the Sox come back to win? It's possible, but highly unlikely. Every year when the Cubs go on some type of winning streak, they claim it's their year! It's rather annoying to hear, and I can certainly see the reference.

All baseball teams throughout the season go on both winning and losing streaks. The 1989 White Sox are the worst White Sox team in my lifetime. They won eight games in a row at one point during the season. The 2005 World Series champion White Sox lost seven games in a row at time during the season. Also, the White Sox are famous for going on late runs in the season when they are way out of first place (see 1987, 1998, 2002, 2004 as some examples). With the state of the division now, had the White Sox lineup was even average, they be in a good position. MY thoughts on this latest run, where was this earlier in the year (queue in the Hawk's lame excuses/company propaganda)...

Im not saying that this is our seasnon. Im not saying were gonna make the playoffs now. Im just saying there is a possibility we could. I wouldnt have said that 2 weeks ago. I dont think theres a problem with having a glimmer of hope left in the tank

MISoxfan
08-06-2007, 09:12 PM
Well, the Twins won the division last year, but were one and done in the playoffs. The Tigers --OTOH--made the World Series as the wild card--and then proceeded to choke away the Series to a (cough!) NL Central team.

In other words, I don't think it's all that clear-cut.

Yes that is true and I don't really care for the wild card because of it. However, if we somehow win this division I seriously doubt the Wild Card is coming from Central.

Still, you caught me :smile:.

MISoxfan
08-06-2007, 09:14 PM

I'm sure the dopes at BP, the resident geniuses and the propeller heads would find a wa to disagree with you.

Have those guys decided whether or not we made the playoffs a couple of seasons ago yet?

rdivaldi
08-06-2007, 09:26 PM
I'm not on the playoff bangwagon, but don't go ripping the guys who are more optimistic by calling them Cub fans. There's a huge difference between this White Sox team and the usual group of Cub crap. This team has a large group of players that have actually won the World Series together and have shown the ability to win games in large bunches (eg. the 2006 White Sox going 52- 27 from April to June and the 2005 White Sox going 53- 24 in that same timespan).

I'm not saying it's possible, but at least we know that these guys have done it before which is more than what a Cub fan can say.

For those interested our record in August and September over the past two years is not very good. 31- 28 in 2005 and 28- 30 last year. If we get to .500 before the end of the year, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

spiffie
08-06-2007, 09:43 PM
I'm not on the playoff bangwagon, but don't go ripping the guys who are more optimistic by calling them Cub fans. There's a huge difference between this White Sox team and the usual group of Cub crap. This team has a large group of players that have actually won the World Series together and have shown the ability to win games in large bunches (eg. the 2006 White Sox going 52- 27 from April to June and the 2005 White Sox going 53- 24 in that same timespan).

I'm not saying it's possible, but at least we know that these guys have done it before which is more than what a Cub fan can say.
Konerko
Uribe
Pierzynski
Dye
Podsednik
Buehrle
Garland
Contreras
Jenks

That's all that's left of the 2005 World Series team. 8 guys who played the entire season, and one guy who came up late in the year. Admittedly the names on that list are many of the most important ones, the real leaders of the team, but still this team is pretty far removed already from that 2005 team.

munchman33
08-06-2007, 09:53 PM
Im disappointed in all these people who are just shooting down people with a bit of optimism for this season and calling them cub fans because of

It's probably becauase the vast majority of those people are the same people starting threads about how ridiculous Cubs fans sound every year when their team really isn't in it but they're doing the same thing.

There's nothing wrong with a little optimism, as long as it's tempered by realism. Sure, we're not mathematically eliminated. Sure, we're playing better. But we've gone on this tremendous tear, and things are still pretty bleak. Talking playoffs is absurd. And Sox fans talking about how we're going to make the playoffs this year like it's something that's gonna happen...well, it just plain makes the rest of us look bad.

Tongue and cheek talking division is okay. Hoping we can get back in, but admitting how incredibly difficult that will be is okay. But some people are talking like we've got this thing locked up, and we're not evening competing yet.

AnkleSox
08-06-2007, 10:03 PM

Seriously. It doesn't make sense even to bring it up. Maybe if they get it down to five. But that's a big if.

If it's down to five before September I'll be pretty excited. If not, I'm still quite excited for next year with these new guys.

chisoxfanatic
08-06-2007, 10:20 PM
The only thing I'm looking forward to at this present moment is seeing the development of Fields, Owens, and Richar, as well as getting over .500, being competitive and being a nice spoiler too. Hopefully KW has something "up his sleeve" this offseason and is able to get something together either this November or at the Winter Meetings.

voodoochile
08-06-2007, 10:38 PM

Oh shut up...

Where's your sense of adventure? Of wonder? of hope? Of being a fan?

I'll freaking believe until they are all but mathematically eliminated. Call it 10 games out with 15 to play. Until then, let me dream a little.

You sound like a riot at parties.

Why are you drinking all that beer? You're just going to have a hangover in the morning. Oh no, don't talk to the pretty girl, she'll never go home with you. OHMIGAWD! Skinny Dipping?!??!??! Who know's who has been swimming in that pool, the germs... the germs... the germs...

:rolleyes:

Come on, Munch, live a little...:supernana:

santo=dorf
08-06-2007, 10:56 PM
The Twins were swept by the Chokeland A's last year in the playoffs.
The Tigers beat the Yankees 3-1, and swept the Chokeland A's. They fell apart in the World Series, but they were no doubt the best team in the AL.

Last year the Tigers were better than the "One day Champions" Twins.

jabrch
08-07-2007, 12:01 AM
I swear there are some people who must come here just to find a place to crap. What's with some people insisting that everyone be negative?

I don't think we have a freaking chance of making the playoffs, but there's no way in hell I am going to try and poop on someone elses enjoyment of the season just so I can look smart.

I doubt anyone seriously thinks we are going to make the playoffs - but cheers to those who are enjoying baseball this season. I'm with you - I enjoy baseball, in particular White Sox baseball, win lose or draw. If you can't enjoy the game of baseball, that's your perrogative - but screw off if you think I am going to let your perpetual negativivity and your need to show off how much you know ruin MY enjoyment of the game.

MISoxfan
08-07-2007, 12:30 AM
The Twins were swept by the Chokeland A's last year in the playoffs.
The Tigers beat the Yankees 3-1, and swept the Chokeland A's. They fell apart in the World Series, but they were no doubt the best team in the AL.

Last year the Tigers were better than the "One day Champions" Twins.

You said that if the White Sox win the division in 2007 that they won't be the best team in the Central. If the White Sox win this division and somehow the second place team wins the wild card then MAYBE you have a leg to stand on.

MISoxfan
08-07-2007, 12:32 AM
And no I don't think they'll win the division, but it doesn't hurt to indulge.

santo=dorf
08-07-2007, 05:44 AM
You said that if the White Sox win the division in 2007 that they won't be the best team in the Central. If the White Sox win this division and somehow the second place team wins the wild card then MAYBE you have a leg to stand on.
Right. You asked for a situation where the division winner should not be considered the best team in the division that year. I think the 2006 Tigers are a good example, and the 2004 Red Sox.

munchman33
08-07-2007, 09:37 AM
Oh shut up...

Where's your sense of adventure? Of wonder? of hope? Of being a fan?

I'll freaking believe until they are all but mathematically eliminated. Call it 10 games out with 15 to play. Until then, let me dream a little.

But there's three teams that need to tank! If it was 10 games out with 15 to play but only one team ahead of us, I'd feel better about it. But there are two teams ahead of us by double digits, and the other team is the defending central champ, and they're hotter than we are.

I swear there are some people who must come here just to find a place to crap. What's with some people insisting that everyone be negative?

I don't think we have a freaking chance of making the playoffs, but there's no way in hell I am going to try and poop on someone elses enjoyment of the season just so I can look smart.

I doubt anyone seriously thinks we are going to make the playoffs - but cheers to those who are enjoying baseball this season. I'm with you - I enjoy baseball, in particular White Sox baseball, win lose or draw. If you can't enjoy the game of baseball, that's your perrogative - but screw off if you think I am going to let your perpetual negativivity and your need to show off how much you know ruin MY enjoyment of the game.

No one is saying don't cheer for the Sox. I don't see that written anywhere on here.

voodoochile
08-07-2007, 09:43 AM
But there's three teams that need to tank! If it was 10 games out with 15 to play but only one team ahead of us, I'd feel better about it. But there are two teams ahead of us by double digits, and the other team is the defending central champ, and they're hotter than we are.

No one is saying don't cheer for the Sox. I don't see that written anywhere on here.

The Sox have 25 games or so left with those 3 teams. Some of the problem can be dealt with directly.

Not saying it's likely, but the unbalanced schedule and the way it split up this year (start and end in the ALC) plays in our favor.

jabrch
08-07-2007, 09:45 AM

Nor did I say that anyone said that. What I see is people crapping on other people's optimism.

munchman33
08-07-2007, 09:46 AM
The Sox have 25 games or so left with those 3 teams. Some of the problem can be dealt with directly.

Hmmm...okay fair enough. Not likely, but certainly more possible than I thought at first.

HawkDJ
08-07-2007, 12:10 PM
The problem is, if we sweep Cleveland but Detroit sweeps Tampa Bay, we're still 10 games back for the division. It will be very difficult to pass 3 teams.

Law11
08-08-2007, 12:52 PM
"The amount of games left, obviously we're not mathematically out of it or anything like that, but it's hard to say we're in it," Konerko said. "You just keep playing."

This after last night 2-1 loss.

At least the players are realistic..

eriqjaffe
08-08-2007, 12:57 PM
"The amount of games left, obviously we're not mathematically out of it or anything like that, but it's hard to say we're in it," Konerko said. "You just keep playing."...and that's why he's the captain. Rally those troops!

downstairs
08-08-2007, 01:00 PM
...and that's why he's the captain. Rally those troops!

Capitan does not equal cheerleader.

Law11
08-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Capitan does not equal cheerleader.

Thats what the kool-aid drinking fans are for..

balke
08-08-2007, 01:19 PM
We'll know after this series if there's any fighting chance for the team. If they get swept by Cleveland, its goodnight. If they come out of the series 9.5 back... the dream lives on. Dye would have to finish the season .300 and Garland and Contreras would have to pull their heads out of their bums, but the dream would still be there.

DrewSox56
08-08-2007, 01:21 PM
We'll know after this series if there's any fighting chance for the team. If they get swept by Cleveland, its goodnight. If they come out of the series 9.5 back... the dream lives on. Dye would have to finish the season .300 and Garland and Contreras would have to pull their heads out of their bums, but the dream would still be there.

Not to mention less O-Fers and a few 9th inning hits from Captain "Realistic" would help.

spiffie
08-08-2007, 03:12 PM
"The amount of games left, obviously we're not mathematically out of it or anything like that, but it's hard to say we're in it," Konerko said. "You just keep playing."

This after last night 2-1 loss.

At least the players are realistic..
I would have been able to indulge a sliver of hope for myself if we had swept Cleveland, but to lose like we did last night...I think football season has officially begun.

SBSoxFan
08-08-2007, 03:29 PM
I would have been able to indulge a sliver of hope for myself if we had swept Cleveland, but to lose like we did last night...I think football season has officially begun.

And on a night Minnesota and Oakland both lost. :angry::whiner:

Cat Thief
08-09-2007, 04:07 PM
A win tonight cuts it too single digits.......I'll keep dreaming.....

ThomesHomie
08-09-2007, 07:44 PM
The tribe goes to play the Yankees, then the tigers, so hope people hope.

MCHSoxFan
08-09-2007, 08:05 PM
A win tonight cuts it too single digits.......I'll keep dreaming.....

YES AND...

MCHSoxFan
08-09-2007, 08:06 PM
The tribe goes to play the Yankees, then the tigers, so hope people hope.

...YES