PDA

View Full Version : Season ticket holder impact of new MLB deal with Stubhub

Vernam
08-03-2007, 03:28 PM
I'm surprised that no one (so far as I can find) has posted about the major deal MLB and StubHub announced yesterday: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2007-08-02-ebay-stubhub-mlb_N.htm

I've read conflicting things about whether teams will be at liberty to still run secondary sales through TicketMaster, as the Sox do with their Ticket Exchange. I don't like how TM lets tickets be sold for way over face value (and I'm sure StubHub will, too), but the exchange is a huge plus for season ticket holders like me who don't want to get stuck holding unused tix. The team takes a 10-percent cut, I think. It's very convenient, though TM doesn't enable parking pass sales. I'd like to see that changed, whether or not it's via StubHub.

A gripe of mine with the Ticket Exchanges is that -- because no money actually changes hands -- the proceeds can only go into your Sox account, which is applied to next year's tickets. Great for the team because it's an incentive for people to renew their packages for 2008. Not so great for someone who wants to cancel.

Season ticket holders can probably expect a communication about it soon from the Sox. I'd definitely like to know the scoop before renewing.

Vernam

It's Dankerific
08-03-2007, 04:02 PM
Wow. Thanks for the information.

I do wonder how its going to negatively impact me... but heres to hoping they dont change much about stubhub.

salty99
08-03-2007, 04:15 PM
I like this since now hopefully you can post tickets at any price.

itsnotrequired
08-03-2007, 05:19 PM
I'm surprised that no one (so far as I can find) has posted about the major deal MLB and StubHub announced yesterday: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2007-08-02-ebay-stubhub-mlb_N.htm

I've read conflicting things about whether teams will be at liberty to still run secondary sales through TicketMaster, as the Sox do with their Ticket Exchange. I don't like how TM lets tickets be sold for way over face value (and I'm sure StubHub will, too), but the exchange is a huge plus for season ticket holders like me who don't want to get stuck holding unused tix. The team takes a 10-percent cut, I think. It's very convenient, though TM doesn't enable parking pass sales. I'd like to see that changed, whether or not it's via StubHub.

A gripe of mine with the Ticket Exchanges is that -- because no money actually changes hands -- the proceeds can only go into your Sox account, which is applied to next year's tickets. Great for the team because it's an incentive for people to renew their packages for 2008. Not so great for someone who wants to cancel.

Season ticket holders can probably expect a communication about it soon from the Sox. I'd definitely like to know the scoop before renewing.

Vernam

The way I read the article, it sounds like StubHub will implement a similar system but rather than the money going to you season ticket account, it would go directly to you. Or perhaps you could set it up to go to your account direct? I would also imagine rules would be in place to prevent people from reselling lower than face. I can't imagine the teams want to be "undersold".