PDA

View Full Version : Fix the team!

HotelWhiteSox
08-02-2007, 05:42 PM
I'm sure there are other threads like this, so apologies in advance, merge if nec. I don't have any specifics, just general ideas. I don't think we're this bad, but we definately have holes, I was trying to think of some outside the box ways to help. Of course, I'm not a GM, so I'm sure many of these could sound stupid. Anyways:

- Holes - SS (let Uribe walk), OF, bullpen
- Trade Thome (nothing personal), keep Dye on the cheap (will anyone else want him?), and move him to DH. Have Thome bring back some help for some of the holes
- I am probably in the minority but I am okay with Pods back (with Ozuna as well as insurance). Maybe one of our AAA OFs or Owens takes another spot, and a free agent signing for the other. Bye bye Erstad.
- Hmm, Contreras, doubt anyone wants him, either move him to mop up, or just eat some money.
- Possibly throw in some minor leaguers in some deals, try for lightning in a bottle?

So I'm guessing:
SS - very good player acquired in the Thome deal
OF - mixture of FA, resignings, and minor leaguers
Pen - again signings and trade magic, hope for some rebound from our guys
SP (Contreras spot) - FA? Minor leaguer?

There's also a question of what to do with Crede. Trade value is probably shot right now, you keep him and let Fields try the outfield? Ship him for what you can get? Have him start to get the value back up then ship him mid season? Keep Fields waiting a little bit more?

- Also, wanted to add, Jenks is one of my favorite players, but if worst comes to worst and no one else (you are willing to give up) has trade value, I wouldn't boycott the Sox for having him go.

Again, it's very general, I didn't research available names (you think Young would be a good SS fit?), I'm late for class in twenty minutes, but just wanted to write some ideas and see others.

munchman33
08-02-2007, 06:06 PM
I don't know about fixing our problems, but I can tell you what's likely to happen.

Uribe's option is picked up, mostly because there's no viable available options at a decent price.

Dye will be offered arbitration, and will walk. We'll get two picks for him. Both will end up being pitchers.

Jerry Owens will be our starting CF. Pods will be back and in left. We'll be priced out of the main free agent OF market, and we'll end up signing a risky, injury plagued veteran to battle Sweeney for playing time in right. Despite how Sweeney plays, Ozzie will play the veteran nearly everyday.

Kenny will continue to trade for "arms" for the pen. We'll add a few fireballers who haven't had success. The pen will start with Jenks, McDougal, Thornton, Logan, and Jose Contreras. The last spots will be battled for through spring training, and will include either the "arms" Kenny trades for or the "arms" Kenny traded for last year.

Buehrle, Garland, Vasquez, and Danks will return to the rotation. Spring will see Gavin Floyd basically given the fifth starter job (because we lose him if he doesn't make the team next year), and he will proceed to do everything in his power to make sure Gio Gonzalez breaks camp as the fifth starter, just as he did this year with Danks. Floyd is selected by the Royals in the rule 5 draft. He wins five games all year, all against the sox.

Joe Crede and Scott Boras will refuse to give the White Sox the ability to look at Joe's back until they decide whether or not to tender him a contract, forcing Kenny to cut ties. Fields gets the third base job. Half of the WSI community blames Kenny for being stupid. The other half blames JR for being cheap.

Richar remains the second basemen. Paulie, A.J., and Thome all return as well.

IceczMan
08-02-2007, 06:30 PM
Kenny will continue to trade for "arms" for the pen. We'll add a few fireballers who haven't had success. The pen will start with Jenks, McDougal, Thornton, Logan, and Jose Contreras. The last spots will be battled for through spring training, and will include either the "arms" Kenny trades for or the "arms" Kenny traded for last year.

There is no way that we start next season with Contreras in the bullpen. That is just unimaginable on so many levels.

soxtalker
08-02-2007, 06:44 PM

- Trade Thome (nothing personal), keep Dye on the cheap (will anyone else want him?), and move him to DH. Have Thome bring back some help for some of the holes

You can't. He's got a no-trade clause, which he waived to come home.

MCHSoxFan
08-02-2007, 06:58 PM
I don't know about fixing our problems, but I can tell you what's likely to happen.

Uribe's option is picked up, mostly because there's no viable available options at a decent price.

Dye will be offered arbitration, and will walk. We'll get two picks for him. Both will end up being pitchers.

Jerry Owens will be our starting CF. Pods will be back and in left. We'll be priced out of the main free agent OF market, and we'll end up signing a risky, injury plagued veteran to battle Sweeney for playing time in right. Despite how Sweeney plays, Ozzie will play the veteran nearly everyday.

Buehrle, Garland, Vasquez, and Danks will return to the rotation. Spring will see Gavin Floyd basically given the fifth starter job (because we lose him if he doesn't make the team next year), and he will proceed to do everything in his power to make sure Gio Gonzalez breaks camp as the fifth starter, just as he did this year with Danks. Floyd is selected by the Royals in the rule 5 draft. He wins five games all year, all against the sox.

Joe Crede and Scott Boras will refuse to give the White Sox the ability to look at Joe's back until they decide whether or not to tender him a contract, forcing Kenny to cut ties. Fields gets the third base job. Half of the WSI community blames Kenny for being stupid. The other half blames JR for being cheap.

99.99999999999% CORRECT. I am not sure about Jose/Gavin. I really hope this off-season is really GOOD. I think it will go fast because we will be watching what KW will do or NOT do. I will most likely will be mad at KW. He will get some A/AA pitchers. I just hope he gets some good OF players. I am not the best at judging players, however. This off-season (2006-2007) was slow and boaring. All I did was watch WS05 DVD's.

munchman33
08-02-2007, 07:01 PM
There is no way that we start next season with Contreras in the bullpen. That is just unimaginable on so many levels.

Don't be so sure. He's got the stuff to be a really good reliever. Two very dominant pitches in his fork and fastball. Throwing for one or two innings at a time might be what he needs at this point in his career. Guns blazing, try and hit this kinda stuff.

I realize he makes a ton of money, but this is the only way we're going to get any kind of production from him. And honestly, we're almost there right now. If we had any other kind of decent SP option, he'd be in the pen permenantly already.

southside rocks
08-02-2007, 07:33 PM
Don't be so sure. He's got the stuff to be a really good reliever. Two very dominant pitches in his fork and fastball. Throwing for one or two innings at a time might be what he needs at this point in his career. Guns blazing, try and hit this kinda stuff.

I realize he makes a ton of money, but this is the only way we're going to get any kind of production from him. And honestly, we're almost there right now. If we had any other kind of decent SP option, he'd be in the pen permenantly already.

Jose disagrees with you. He said "Maybe for the remainder of the year I'll be in the bullpen, but I fully expect to start next year. If they don't want me as a starter next year, I want to be out of here."

Ozzie agreed, saying they're not going to pay $10 million to a long-relief guy.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070802&content_id=2125294&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

munchman33
08-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Jose disagrees with you. He said "Maybe for the remainder of the year I'll be in the bullpen, but I fully expect to start next year. If they don't want me as a starter next year, I want to be out of here."

Tough ****. You don't like it, retire.

Ozzie agreed, saying they're not going to pay $10 million to a long-relief guy.

I must have missed Ozzie's promotion to general manager.

JB98
08-02-2007, 08:35 PM
My hunch is Uribe's option will not be picked up.

KW is not going to stand pat this offseason. I'd be stunned if there weren't major changes to the everyday lineup, as well as the bullpen.

oeo
08-02-2007, 08:44 PM
I must have missed Ozzie's promotion to general manager.

They shouldn't pay a long reliever $10 million. Either he will be gone (we trade him and eat up most of his contract), or he'll be starting, unfortunately.

My hunch is Uribe's option will not be picked up..

I don't think it will either. If anything, it will be declined and a new deal will be worked out (who else is going to sign the guy)...hopefully if this happens, it's just as a bench player.

As for Pods, he won't be back either. Ozzie has already shown his frustration in the guy not being able to stay healthy.

munchman33
08-02-2007, 08:51 PM
They shouldn't pay a long reliever $10 million.

No, but they might be in that position. Eating the contract is not something this organization would do.

Honestly though, I don't see Jose as a long reliever. I see him as a short reliever. His stuff is actually pretty similar to John Smoltz's. He could become a very valueable 7th or 8th inning guy, if he can get his head on straight. Throwing in relief is a lot different. It's all out every pitch. Jose could thrive in a situation like that. A "come and get it" type attitude.

HotelWhiteSox
08-02-2007, 10:23 PM

This is a great post

thomas35forever
08-02-2007, 10:46 PM
My hunch is Uribe's option will not be picked up.

KW is not going to stand pat this offseason. I'd be stunned if there weren't major changes to the everyday lineup, as well as the bullpen.
Good post. I do not expect to see Uribe in a Sox uniform next season. My faith in KW might be shaken otherwise.

JB98
08-02-2007, 11:02 PM
They shouldn't pay a long reliever $10 million. Either he will be gone (we trade him and eat up most of his contract), or he'll be starting, unfortunately.

I don't think it will either. If anything, it will be declined and a new deal will be worked out (who else is going to sign the guy)...hopefully if this happens, it's just as a bench player.

As for Pods, he won't be back either. Ozzie has already shown his frustration in the guy not being able to stay healthy.

Pods is a goner; I agree. KW had tremendous faith in the 2006 team, faith to a fault, in fact. Last offseason, he really felt like the everyday lineup needed no major alterations. As a result, he kept a few position players a year longer than he probably should have. Regardless of what people think of his moves, KW is a smart man. He's not going to make the same gaffes two offseasons in a row.

At minimum, we'll have three new additions to the everyday lineup next April.

HawkDJ
08-02-2007, 11:14 PM
I'd rather them pay $10 million for an effective reliever than $10 million for a horrendous starter.

chisoxfanatic
08-02-2007, 11:19 PM
I see Rowand being signed(and I am a huge supporter of him) and inking a 3-year deal with Jermaine Dye. I also see them testing out Podsednik for another year, as well as keeping Uribe, who is one of "Ozzie's guys," even though I haven't a clue why. They will go after one starting pitcher and a bullpen arm or two.

Guys I see definitely gone are Crede and Cintron (won't be needed when we'll have Ozuna back), as well as Contreras (IF he doesn't seem useable in the bullpen).

ND_Sox_Fan
08-02-2007, 11:27 PM
I'd rather them pay $10 million for an effective reliever than $10 million for a horrendous starter.

That was my point with this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89542&highlight=contreras+closer) a while back. I really would like to see him return to form as a starter, but that just might not be possible.

I really look forward to the off-season.
1) I don't think Uribe will be back
2) I would really like to see at least one more of our stockpile of 4th outfielders offloaded (Pods and Erstad - only have two now that Mack is gone).
3) If Dye is back, hopefully he is in LF - if he is gone, he is gone
4) Find a taker for Toby Hall - injured or not, he is a terrible catcher
5) Hopefully Richar earns the 2B job
6) Hopefully Owens continues to perform and finds a spot in the OF (not necessarily center)
7) Keep Thome only to DH against RHPs, and if Dye re-signs, put him in as DH against LHPs. Ozzie would love the lefty-righty switch, and it is clear Thome can't hit LHPs

WhiteSox5187
08-03-2007, 01:02 AM
I see Rowand being signed(and I am a huge supporter of him) and inking a 3-year deal with Jermaine Dye. I also see them testing out Podsednik for another year, as well as keeping Uribe, who is one of "Ozzie's guys," even though I haven't a clue why. They will go after one starting pitcher and a bullpen arm or two.

Guys I see definitely gone are Crede and Cintron (won't be needed when we'll have Ozuna back), as well as Contreras (IF he doesn't seem useable in the bullpen).
Ozzie has ripped Uribe as much as any ohter player...I think lately though his poor play (especially at the plate) just speaks for itself...I'm not so sure what moves I'd make at this point. I'm not going to speculate until after the season and see where we are then.

SBSoxFan
08-03-2007, 09:50 AM

I agree with this. I've posted previously that it's likely the Sox will have the same outfield as in 2005. Regardless, I think the Sox will have a new CF'er, Dye in right, and Pods/Owens in LF. I don't know how that fits with the rest of the roster, but it's likely that Andy Gonzalez will be the super-utility bench guy so they won't need as much diversity on the bench.

Flight #24
08-03-2007, 10:12 AM
My honest guess as to what will happen:

- Dye resigned to 2/$20 with a mutual option for a 3d year
- Uribe, Erstad, Cintron options not picked up
- Garland dealt for a package including an RP and a young SS
- Veteran RP signed for ~$3M
- Rowand signed for 4/$40
- Crede resigned to a 1yr $5M deal (unlike Maggs, this is relatively routine surgery and he'll rehab in the states so they'll have a much better sense of how he's doing.)
- Pods resigned to 1yr / $2-3M deal as 4th OF

Rotation: Buehrle-Vazquez-Danks-Gio-Contreras (And if Jose flops again, a #5 from the group of Broadway-Sisco-Masset)
Bullpen: Jenks - Thornton - Macdougal - Veteran RP - Young RP from Garland trade - Logan/Bukvich
IF: Konerko-Richar-Young SS from Garland trade - Crede - AJ (with Thome-DH)
OF: Owens/Pods - Rowand - Dye
Bench: Gonzalez - Terrero - Pods - Fields - Hall

Total payroll: $~98M (or roughly what they're paying now)

However, in my dream scenario, they start Fields in LF & Owens in CF, forgoing either Dye or Rowand. They then take that $10M, add in Crede's $5 (assuming that he'll be dealt in early '08 after showing he's healthy), and add in the $10M needed to raise the Sox outlay to what the total payroll is this year and use it all to sign ARod. After trading Crede (and bringing up Sweeney), the lineup goes Owens-Sweeney-ARod-Thome-Konerko-Dye-Fields-AJ-Richar and the total payroll's at $108-110M.

Zisk77
08-03-2007, 10:21 AM
I'm sure there are other threads like this, so apologies in advance, merge if nec. I don't have any specifics, just general ideas. I don't think we're this bad, but we definately have holes, I was trying to think of some outside the box ways to help. Of course, I'm not a GM, so I'm sure many of these could sound stupid. Anyways:

- Holes - SS (let Uribe walk), OF, bullpen
- I am probably in the minority but I am okay with Pods back (with Ozuna as well as insurance). Maybe one of our AAA OFs or Owens takes another spot, and a free agent signing for the other. Bye bye Erstad.
- Hmm, Contreras, doubt anyone wants him, either move him to mop up, or just eat some money.
- Possibly throw in some minor leaguers in some deals, try for lightning in a bottle?

So I'm guessing:
SS - very good player acquired in the Thome deal
OF - mixture of FA, resignings, and minor leaguers
Pen - again signings and trade magic, hope for some rebound from our guys
SP (Contreras spot) - FA? Minor leaguer?

There's also a question of what to do with Crede. Trade value is probably shot right now, you keep him and let Fields try the outfield? Ship him for what you can get? Have him start to get the value back up then ship him mid season? Keep Fields waiting a little bit more?

- Also, wanted to add, Jenks is one of my favorite players, but if worst comes to worst and no one else (you are willing to give up) has trade value, I wouldn't boycott the Sox for having him go.

Again, it's very general, I didn't research available names (you think Young would be a good SS fit?), I'm late for class in twenty minutes, but just wanted to write some ideas and see others.

Ok here's my take:

- Thome's not getting traded becuase of contract. He plays out contract and retires. Konerko moves to DH, Fields to 1st base from LF in 2 years.

- Wouldn't be surprised if Pods and or Erstad are traded if they get through waivers. Maybe Pods comes back on one year deal.

- Originally thoght we would keep Uribe but with his 5 mil option coming we are going to save money for the big splash.
- What is the big splash you say? Arod of course. However, we get outbid for him (not by the scrubs either) and settle for Vizquel instead for a year or 2.
- Contreras pitches better in the bullpen and we trade him to the mets but have to eat part of his salary and get little in return.
-Floyd either wins 5th starter in sp, is packaged in trade, or becomes a long releiver.
-Sox sign 2 free agent relievers, such as Linebrink
- Sox do not go after Andruw Jones but sign one of the following Hunter, Rowand, Or Cameron.
- Dye is re-signed at a discount and has incentives in his contract including one on what his weight is.
- Crede fires Boras (as he said he would if he made it impossible to re-sign with sox) signs a one year deal to show he is healthy and then signs a long term contact the next year at a home town discount fields plays a couple of years in left before moving to 1b. He also gives joe and paulie aan occasional day off (mack's old role).
-Owens and Terrero become fourth and fifth of's.
- If Kenny sdoes not sign a FA OF he will have a blockbuster trade...Vasquez and 2 or 3 prospects for Carl Crawford and then sign a FA starter.

Mr. White Sox
08-03-2007, 10:56 AM
I thought KW should've traded Garland at the deadline. Now, I'm sure he would have had there been a great offer on the table, so it's not his fault. However, I have a feeling Garland's trade value will decrease quite a bit before the end of the year; the team isn't giving him wins (which still matter in terms of trade value for some reason), and his ERA is climbing. That being said, trading Garland for a SS and pitching prospect (even a bullpen guy) seems like a major priority this off-season, due to the incredibly week SS class this year. KW's other possibility could be trading Vazquez and re-signing Garland, but I think Vazquez is going to be the better pitcher for the next two or three years.

A lot hinders on Crede's ability to recover from surgery. I think it's 50/50 right now whether or not the Sox non-tender him, so I really can't make any educated guesses here.

KW's big splash this FA period, IMO, will be Eric Byrnes at 4 years and ~47mil. I'd dislike this move at best, so let's hope he doesn't make a major run at Byrnes or the other "top-tier" FA CF's who will be vastly overpaid, such as Druw Jones, Torii Hunter, Mike Cameron and even Aaron Rowand. I personally think Corey Patterson would be a solid enough investment provided the OF corner spots have reliable, consistent hitters, but that's a big if with Sweeney, Dye, Owens and maybe Fields as possible contenders to start in the OF next year. Byrnes could be a solid enough signing if he isn't overpaid (no more than 30mil a year for 3 years, which definitely won't happen), placed in LF and paired with a FA CF. Wishful thinking, though.

As often as I can disagree with BP, their suggestion to sign Kosuke Fukudome seems like a good one. A guy who can hit .280 with a bunch of doubles and 10-20 HR would be an ideal 2-hitter, which could take the pressure off Richar and would shore up a corner OF spot. Having Fukudome in one spot with the possibility of a Sweeney/Dye or Sweeney/FA platoon in the other spot (or Dye platooning with Thome at DH) seems like a better one than the current options.

However KW plays it, this offseason will be huge in terms of trades, signings, and future impact on this team. It should be fun.

soxfan43
08-03-2007, 12:57 PM
If Uribe is back on this team next year I will have lost all faith in Kenny. I am a big Kenny supporter, even during this year. But Uribe has to go. His defense is slipping, hes slow and looks worse than Anderson or Borchard at the plate this season. There isn't much out there on the free agent market for SS, so I see Garland getting moved. He's a FA after 2008 and I don't see him taking the hometown discount like Buehrle. He'll go after the big money, so might as well move him for a young stud SS. I think that's hands down the biggest offseason need. A young DP combo of Richar and whoever we get in a Garland deal would be stellar.

palehozenychicty
08-03-2007, 01:11 PM
My honest guess as to what will happen:

- Dye resigned to 2/$20 with a mutual option for a 3d year
- Uribe, Erstad, Cintron options not picked up
- Garland dealt for a package including an RP and a young SS
- Veteran RP signed for ~$3M
- Rowand signed for 4/$40
- Crede resigned to a 1yr $5M deal (unlike Maggs, this is relatively routine surgery and he'll rehab in the states so they'll have a much better sense of how he's doing.)
- Pods resigned to 1yr / $2-3M deal as 4th OF

Rotation: Buehrle-Vazquez-Danks-Gio-Contreras (And if Jose flops again, a #5 from the group of Broadway-Sisco-Masset)
Bullpen: Jenks - Thornton - Macdougal - Veteran RP - Young RP from Garland trade - Logan/Bukvich
IF: Konerko-Richar-Young SS from Garland trade - Crede - AJ (with Thome-DH)
OF: Owens/Pods - Rowand - Dye
Bench: Gonzalez - Terrero - Pods - Fields - Hall

Total payroll: $~98M (or roughly what they're paying now)

However, in my dream scenario, they start Fields in LF & Owens in CF, forgoing either Dye or Rowand. They then take that $10M, add in Crede's $5 (assuming that he'll be dealt in early '08 after showing he's healthy), and add in the $10M needed to raise the Sox outlay to what the total payroll is this year and use it all to sign ARod. After trading Crede (and bringing up Sweeney), the lineup goes Owens-Sweeney-ARod-Thome-Konerko-Dye-Fields-AJ-Richar and the total payroll's at $108-110M.

Josh Fields ain't riding the bench next year. I think Garland will get traded to a California team, preferably the Dodgers.

SBSoxFan
08-03-2007, 01:13 PM
If Uribe is back on this team next year I will have lost all faith in Kenny. I am a big Kenny supporter, even during this year. But Uribe has to go. His defense is slipping, hes slow and looks worse than Anderson or Borchard at the plate this season. There isn't much out there on the free agent market for SS, so I see Garland getting moved. He's a FA after 2008 and I don't see him taking the hometown discount like Buehrle. He'll go after the big money, so might as well move him for a young stud SS. I think that's hands down the biggest offseason need. A young DP combo of Richar and whoever we get in a Garland deal would be stellar.

This is a bad situation. If the only way to upgrade at short is through a trade (and I don't consider Eckstein a worthwhile upgrade), I don't think I'm comfortable with trading Garland with Jose in such a state of flux. Worst case scenario is Danks has to move up to #3 and then you have to fill in #4 and #5. That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

soxfan43
08-03-2007, 01:22 PM
It most definitely is a bad situation. But if the Sox aren't willing to pay Garland at least what Buehrle's getting, he's going to walk in free agency. Might as well get some value that will help in the immediate future instead of the comp picks.

mcp5185
08-03-2007, 01:52 PM
-Trade Garland to the Yankees for Joba Chamberlain and Melky Cabrera.
-Trade prospects to the Orioles for Miguel Tejada.
-Trade Contreras, to whatever team is willing to take at least half the money owed.
-Trade/sign Randy Wolf. (He has an option of 9 million with the Dodgers who have too many starters.
-Sign Linebrink for 3.5-4 million a year.

CF- Owens
LF- Cabrera
DH- Thome
1B- Konerko
SS- Tejada
RF- Dye
3B- Fields
C- Pierzynski
2B- Richar
Bench- Hall, Ozuna, Gonzalez, Anderson, Terrero

1. Buehrle
2. Vazquez
3. Wolf
4. Danks
5. Gio/Chamberlain/Floyd
BP- Jenks, McDougal, Thornton, Logan, Wasserman?/other young arm, Linebrink.

ZombieRob
08-03-2007, 02:37 PM
Who do you keep next year? Is more the question here.Thome,I woulnd't be heart broken if K.W dealt him.Seems last 3 years his back is progessivly getting worse.Erstad,I like him but way to injury prone.Looking at the F.A list ,hurts me to say this but bringing Pods back would actually make sense.

Mr. White Sox
08-03-2007, 02:40 PM
I personally think Linebrink is declining and will be an overpaid, overrated bullpen arm this winter.

Garland is not worth Joba Chamberlain alone, let alone both of those guys. Garland + a top prospect (DLS? Egbert?) might land you Tejada, but I'm not sure about his contract structure or his current injury status.

Randy Wolf is an interesting choice as a 4th starter, but I just don't know about the guy's injury history.

Domeshot17
08-03-2007, 03:00 PM
Said this in a different thread and sticking with it.

Trade Garland and Crede to Anaheim for Shields Santana Aybar and Figgins. I think Santana can rebound with Cooper and I think Bud Black leaving is a huge reason for his decline this year.

Trade Contreras for B spec, hope you only have to pick up 2.5 mil a year

Sign Rowand for a discount (which Im thinking is possible)

Use Money from Garland Crede Contreras to make a run at Zambrano

makes the rotation Zambrano Buehrle Javy Danks Santana/Broadway/Eg/Gio (possibly Contreras)

lineup would look like

Figgins LF
Richar 2b
Thome DH
Konerko 1b
Dye RF (2 year deal with mutual 3rd year option at 8.5 year 1 9 year 2 and 10 option)
AJ C
Rowand CF
Fields 3b
Aybar SS

Bullpen is a lot more sound with Shields infront of Macdougal and Thorton infront of Jenks. Masset hopefully rebounds same with Logan. could potentially be a very good 6 man part of the pen. Last spot you let guys like Floyd and Sisco compete for as the long man.

Shore up with the bench with a better back up SS, round it out with Pods (4th OF) Ozuna Hall Owens maybe.

thomas35forever
08-03-2007, 03:43 PM
I honestly hope Crede, Fields, and Pods all return next year. However, I see Pods being left out of that trio with Fields moving to left. Signing Rowand is a real possibility, but I doubt it'll happen. Owens will start in center next year. We really should sign JD to a multi-year deal so he can finish out his prime on the South Side.

DrewSox56
08-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Said this in a different thread and sticking with it.

Trade Garland and Crede to Anaheim for Shields Santana Aybar and Figgins. I think Santana can rebound with Cooper and I think Bud Black leaving is a huge reason for his decline this year.

Trade Contreras for B spec, hope you only have to pick up 2.5 mil a year

Sign Rowand for a discount (which Im thinking is possible)

Use Money from Garland Crede Contreras to make a run at Zambrano

makes the rotation Zambrano Buehrle Javy Danks Santana/Broadway/Eg/Gio (possibly Contreras)

lineup would look like

Figgins LF
Richar 2b
Thome DH
Konerko 1b
Dye RF (2 year deal with mutual 3rd year option at 8.5 year 1 9 year 2 and 10 option)
AJ C
Rowand CF
Fields 3b
Aybar SS

Bullpen is a lot more sound with Shields infront of Macdougal and Thorton infront of Jenks. Masset hopefully rebounds same with Logan. could potentially be a very good 6 man part of the pen. Last spot you let guys like Floyd and Sisco compete for as the long man.

Shore up with the bench with a better back up SS, round it out with Pods (4th OF) Ozuna Hall Owens maybe.

So you feel that KW can pull of a trade of Crede and Garland (one off a non-year really, the other a bad one)for 4 major league ready players on the Angels AND cash????

And it would be enough to get into the Zambrano sweepstakes?

Just Wow.

PatK
08-03-2007, 03:50 PM
I can't believe how many people thing were going to get some kind of "discount" for Aaron Rowand.

DrewSox56
08-03-2007, 03:52 PM
I can't believe how many people thing were going to get some kind of "discount" for Aaron Rowand.

I didn't even get to that part, but you're right.... :rolleyes:

spiffie
08-03-2007, 04:03 PM
I think that as the team crawls out of the terrible stretch it had early this year and plays decent but not great ball that it will give Williams the reasoning needed to not shake things up too much. I would guess that next year you'll see the following guys currently on the roster/DL still here:

Starters:
Konerko - 1B (1) 12M
Richar - 2B (2) .3M
Uribe - SS (3) 5M
Crede - 3B (4) 5.5M
Podsednik - LF (5) 3M
Dye - RF (6) 10M
Thome - DH (7) app. 8M (w/Phils money included)
Pierzynski - C (8) 5.5M
It sounds like the Sox want Dye to stay, and he wants to be here. Hopefully what we're seeing now is what we'll get in 2008. I have a feeling Uribe stays no matter what some of us might want to see happen. Pods likely gets another one year flyer to stay healthy, with the knowledge that if he can't do it this coming year he's done.

Bench:
Ozuna (9) 1.25M
Owens (10) .4M
Hall (11) 1.75M
The Sox love Ozuna, and Owens will be around because they like the speed he brings.

Rotation:
Buehrle (12) 14M
Garland (13) 12M
Vazquez (14) 11.5M
Contreras (15) 10M
Danks (16) .5M
Jose will get a shot in 2008 most likely. The Sox are likely going to hope his marital woes will be behind him by then and his body perhaps rested after pitching less at the end of this season.

Bullpen:
Jenks (17) .6M
Thornton (18) .875M
MacDougal (19) 1.95M
Logan (20) .4M
These four seem like good bets to stick around.

The only real areas of question are the following as I see it:

CF - Anderson/Erstad/Sweeney all could be in the mix. I would add Owens here but I can't imagine him not staying up as an overall backup OF. I would guess right now that it ends up being Erstad (21 3.5M) and Sweeney (22 0.5M).

Bullpen - I would guess this is the most likely spot to see outside names brought in. I would guess we see a veteran from outside (23 3M) and a young kid from the farm (24 0.3M).

The last spot either goes to Andy Gonzalez or a 7th bullpen arm, depending on if they want to carry 11 or 12 pitchers (25 0.3M). That team would have a payroll of about $110 million. That's the scariest thing about next year, is that that lineup, with no real improvement over our currently assembled team, would still be at the very upper limit of our payroll. In order to get payroll to a level where the Sox could reasonably look to add any outside help of any consquence they'd have to trim a good 10-20 million. No one is taking Jose's contract, so you would likely have to move Garland or Javy. Then you decline Erstad and Uribe, and don't resign Pods. Trading Crede could be an option, but that would likely be pure salary dumping until he proves he can return to a high level after back surgery. That gets you back down to around 90 million, but you're then looking at:

Starters: Konerko, Richar, Gonzalez, Crede, Sweeney, Owens/BA, Dye
Rotation: Buehrle, Javy/Jon, Jose, Danks, Gio/Floyd/Egbert
Bench: Owens/BA, Ozuna, Hall, ?, ?
Bullpen: Jenks, MacDougal, Thornton, Logan, any two of Wasserman/Day/ Massett/Aardsma/Sisco/Bukvich/etc.

I don't envy Kenny Williams this offseason. He has a hell of a job on his hands. If he can make 2008 work, his ninja skills can never be questioned again.

The Immigrant
08-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Man, this thread is depressing.

gosox41
08-03-2007, 10:40 PM

Let me add to this by saying the 2 picks will be pitchers who won't see the light of day in a maor league uniform.

Bob

Tragg
08-03-2007, 11:32 PM
We need a CF and a RF and a legitimate bench bat. The CF needs to bat leadoff and have gap power.
The RF needs to be somone like Dye was.
Maybe we resign Dye, but I worry about his ; maybe he could be a great bench bat and backup DH, but I doubt he wants that position. Or maybe we play Dye in left and Sweeney in right.

I'm not convinced we'll have that much money to spend. Releasing most of the bench will save some money, but we may give Dye a raise, pay Contreras not to pitch...I think we'll have budget issues. I have no idea when or how we get a CF except to say that we have good ML pitching and top prospects in the minors.

End this experiment with slap hitters and hackers up and down the lineup - it's been a disaster. Ozzie batted last for a reason.

A. Cavatica
08-04-2007, 12:14 AM
Uribe has to be the first one to go. No way he's worth $5M.

There is no replacement in the organization (I don't get Ozzie's love affair with Andy Gonzalez) so we obviously have to trade for a SS. Cabrera might be achievable; so might Renteria. I don't see us winning a kind of bidding war for A-Rod.

Rowand's a good bet to return, though not at a discount. I agree with the poster who mentioned Hunter and Cameron as other possibilities. At this point none of the kid outfielders have established themselves, but Owens is doing well enough to make Pods expendable.

Frater Perdurabo
08-04-2007, 07:23 AM
Sign Aaron Rowand and all will be fixed! :rolleyes:

The two most important issues of this offseason are bullpen and leadoff hitter.

If KW can take care of those needs without trading any of the "core," most everything else should fall into place.

misty60481
08-04-2007, 11:35 AM
I agree with tragg this slap hitters is not getting job done. The Cell is made for power hitters. I know we were really hurt with injuries this year but I think if we hang on to most of the players we have we can do good. I would like to see Fields given a try at 2nd base, we need his bat in line-up. I dont know about Ozuna he is 33 and coming off bad injury, if it slows him down he isnt much use to us, I say let him go I wish we would have kept Mack he had speed and some pop in his bat, I think if KW could pick up one big bat in FA, an outfielder with Dye in RF, Erstead in CF, and FA in RF we will be ok, PK at 1st, Fields at 2nd, Richar/Uribe at SS, Crede at 3rd, AJ/Hall at C, if all play at potential we are ready to compete. Our reloef pitching is getting better and MB, Garland, Visquel, Danks,--either Jose or Floyd as #5 we have as good a staff as most AL teams. I dont see much future in Gonzales or Owens, I know speed seems nice but we need hitting first..I would like to see KW get Adam Dunn, I know he strikes out a ton but he has good upside.

WhiteSox5187
08-04-2007, 12:14 PM
We need a CF and a RF and a legitimate bench bat. The CF needs to bat leadoff and have gap power.
The RF needs to be somone like Dye was.
Maybe we resign Dye, but I worry about his ; maybe he could be a great bench bat and backup DH, but I doubt he wants that position. Or maybe we play Dye in left and Sweeney in right.

I'm not convinced we'll have that much money to spend. Releasing most of the bench will save some money, but we may give Dye a raise, pay Contreras not to pitch...I think we'll have budget issues. I have no idea when or how we get a CF except to say that we have good ML pitching and top prospects in the minors.

End this experiment with slap hitters and hackers up and down the lineup - it's been a disaster. Ozzie batted last for a reason.
See, I don't think that CF necessarily need to be our leadoff guy...we need a new SS and he could be the leadoff guy.