PDA

View Full Version : *Official* A Very Weird WIN!!!! 8/2/2007 Postgame Thread

MCHSoxFan
08-02-2007, 05:08 PM
The title says it all. Thank God the SOX WON!!!! Really. I mean the Yankees have been hot in this series and Jon gives up our 8-run lead. Man, it just sucks. :angry:

However, as I said, the Sox do WIN!!! :D:

Mr.1Dog
08-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Woo hoo? Four guys go down to injury, we Garland gives up 8. Nothing to get too excited about. But I guess it is a win in the grand scheme of things.

rdivaldi
08-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Hats off to the bullpen, especially a very impressive return by Mac.

And a big congrats to Dye for showing all the dopes in LA and Boston why they should have given up a few unproven players for him.

October26
08-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Yes the game is over, and like Alex Cintron, my stomach hurts; like Thome, my back hurts and like Erstad, my hamstring hurts. Ya think I'm having sympathy pains?

Sox win, though and avoid a sweep. Too much excitement in this game for me ,however. The bullpen gave up LESS runs than the starter - Jon Garland. Weird.

SoxSpeed22
08-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Outscored them 5-1 after the 2nd inning. The bullpen did their job, now let's hope that Buehrle and Vazquez go deep into the next two games against the Tigers.

southside rocks
NICE work by the bullpen!

downstairs
This was the second time in baseball that both teams have scored 8 or more in the same inning.

ZombieRob
Is Buckvich the player of the game?I hate to admit it,he's got to be right there.

palehozenychicty
08-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Jon Garland is going through his annual slump, and the Sox win with a good bullpen performance. :?:

If MacDougal could've done his thing, we'd probably be a lot better off right now. Oh well.

October26
08-02-2007, 05:15 PM
I forgot to mention that A-rod DIDN'T hit his 500th home run against the Sox. This is news, given how we've been pitching of late.

MCHSoxFan
08-02-2007, 05:15 PM
Here is the thing, though. The Sox bullpen did good and so did the offense. However, our starter did bad and there were a lot of players taken out do to some kind of pain. This is how 2007 has been. One or two things go good for a game and then not not for another. While the things that went when bad one game, maybe really good another. Not good.

HotelWhiteSox
08-02-2007, 05:16 PM
Clemens knocked out early and Jenks blows em away to close it out, sound familiar?

Okay, a little bit different this time around, but yeah

soxinem1
08-02-2007, 05:16 PM
Woo hoo? Four guys go down to injury, we Garland gives up 8. Nothing to get too excited about. But I guess it is a win in the grand scheme of things.

MacDougal looked like 2006. He was sharp, threw strikes, and went after the hitters.

Bobby Jenks looked a little crisper than he has in awhile too.

But Garland is, well, Garland.

HotelWhiteSox
08-02-2007, 05:17 PM
Sox don't give up the lead after Podsednik inserted into the game, interesting...

Chicken Dinner
08-02-2007, 05:17 PM
The only thing missing was Clemens limping off holding his hammy. :D:

MCHSoxFan
08-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Sox don't give up the lead after Podsednik inserted into the game, interesting...

YEEEEESSSS!!!!! :D:

Mr.1Dog
08-02-2007, 05:19 PM
MacDougal looked like 2006. He was sharp, threw strikes, and went after the hitters.

Bobby Jenks looked a little crisper than he has in awhile too.

But Garland is, well, Garland.

I am glad the bullpen pitched well...I didn't see the game or follow the game thread that closely. It's good to hear about Mac! After Garland's last two games, I wasn't expecting a whole lot from him.

cheezheadsoxfan
08-02-2007, 05:21 PM
What a strange game, but at least no sweep. Nice to see Mac getting it back. No comment about Cintron's stomach, it's would be just too easy.

Palehose Pete
08-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Yup, no sweep. And that's a good thing.

eriqjaffe
08-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Nice to see Erstad making it all the way into the 7th inning today!

:bandance:

At this rate, I think Vazquez will have more complete games than Darin.

ChetChat
08-02-2007, 05:28 PM
This was the second time in baseball that both teams have scored 8 or more in the same inning.

Not only is it a win, but we're making the record books! :o:

SouthSideSid
08-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Yes! Good win against a very hot team. Let this be the start of the hot streak back to .500 ball.

TDog
08-02-2007, 05:41 PM

But the only time when two teams scored exactly eight runs in the same inning.

The Sox apparently batted for more than a half hour in the second inning. I don't know if Garland had stiffened up, but it must have been like coming back after a rain delay without the opportunity to loosen up. I certainly don't consider his effort an indication of any problem. And but for the bottom of the second, the Yankees had only a solo home run against the Sox.

Erstad going down isn't going to hurt the team much because it's a novelty to have him in the lineup. He doesn't seem to have been ready to come back on his two returns from the disabled list. Of the players who came out of the game, the only lasting problem could be Thome.

This was a memorable game.

Years ago, Harry Caray was calling a game with the White Sox rallying in the ninth while down by a bunch of runs. He told the story calling a game where the Brooklyn Dodgers scored like 10 in the ninth to tie the Cardinals, only to have the Cardinals win the game in the bottom of the ninth. I mentioned that to my father, and he said he was listening to the game in New Jersey. (He was a Dodgers fan.) This game will be one Yankees fans remember, especially if they miss the postseason.

"Remember when we scored eight runs in an inning to tie the White Sox and lost the game?" Against the White Sox."

The White Sox have just given Yankees fans a bad memory, something I didn't consider possible.

AJ Hellraiser
08-02-2007, 05:45 PM
Is it just me or has Bukvich been pretty good lately?

I feel like ever since that game in Boston when he basically just let it fly and threw some sweet chin music at Man-Ram, he's been much better... his ball has had better pop and he hasn't been afraid to attack hitters inside...

I'm not saying he's a savior to the bullpen issues or anything, but if he continues to pitch well this year then maybe he can be the 5th or 6th man next year (i.e. one of the first guys out of the pen)...

I guess what I'm saying is that the Sox appear to have so many holes that the more that can be filled in-house means less that KW has to spread out the money for on the market.. therefore, he can focus more money on a select few individuals...

*cough* *cough* A-rod... *cough*

JungleJimR
08-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Mac was awsome - The Yankee announcers, Girardi and Lieder, went on and on about his unbelievable stuff and that in the past he relied too much on his slider, which he couldn't control then.

DickAllen72
08-02-2007, 05:56 PM
I guess what I'm saying is that the Sox appear to have so many holes that the more that can be filled in-house means less that KW has to spread out the money for on the market.. therefore, he can focus more money on a select few individuals...

*cough* *cough* A-rod... *cough*
Boras claims A-Rod is going to be baseball's first $30M player. I'd rather spend that money on Zambrano and the bullpen with change left over.

Chicken Dinner
08-02-2007, 05:59 PM
Is it just me or has Bukvich been pretty good lately?

It's just you.

JB98
08-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Wow. I really thought we would end up allowing 15-20 runs today after Garland got knocked out early. Inexcusable performance by Jon, but a good job by the bullpen. As other have noted, MacDougal looked sharp. He says this is the first time he has been pain-free all year, and it shows.

BTW, Jenks hasn't allowed a single baserunner in his last seven outings now. No walks, no hits, no HBPs. Nothing.

eriqjaffe
08-02-2007, 06:07 PM
Is it just me or has Bukvich been pretty good lately?Bukvich has been a very tall midget lately.

eriqjaffe
08-02-2007, 06:07 PM
Inexcusable performance by Jon...not his worst of the year, though. :(:

JB98
08-02-2007, 06:10 PM
...not his worst of the year, though. :(:

The Twins outing was pretty bad. It was worse statistically, but by my standards, this performance was worse.

To be given an eight-run lead and blow it all the next half-inning is a joke. I'd expect this crap from somebody like Gavin Floyd. But Jon is a two-time 18-game winner in this league. A lot is expected of him. He should be embarrassed by that effort.

whitesoxfan1986
08-02-2007, 06:23 PM
The Twins outing was pretty bad. It was worse statistically, but by my standards, this performance was worse.

To be given an eight-run lead and blow it all the next half-inning is a joke. I'd expect this crap from somebody like Gavin Floyd. But Jon is a two-time 18-game winner in this league. A lot is expected of him. He should be embarrassed by that effort.
Garland is beginning to worry me. It seems that the same virus that infected Buehrle during the second half of last season is infecting Garland this second half. The similarities are striking. Both had an ERA in the low 3s during the first half of the season, both got shellacked in one game, then after that both have become crap for the remainder of the season. Well, that may possibly happen. Then we end up with the same situation with Jon next year that we had with Mark this year. Trade value is at a low, so a trade during the offseason makes no sense due to the crap teams are offering. Then we are backed into a corner. If by some wierd circumstance we are in the playoff race next year, Garland has had a good season, and we are forced to trade him at the deadline because he doesn't want to sign a deal similar to Buehrle's, then there will be outrage. He has to pull it together for the rest of the year, because I'm sure we don't want another situation like Buehrle's again next year. :(:

delben91
08-02-2007, 06:24 PM
He should be embarrassed by that effort.

I recall him using the word "embarassed" and also "inexcusable" to describe the Twins outing, I imagine we'll read something similar from Jon tomorrow about today's game. Long gone are the days where Jon would blame his defense, or lack of run support, he's definitely taken more responsibility the last several years.

delben91
08-02-2007, 06:25 PM
If by some wierd circumstance we are in the playoff race next year, Garland has had a good season, and we are forced to trade him at the deadline because he doesn't want to sign a deal similar to Buehrle's, then there will be outrage. He has to pull it together for the rest of the year, because I'm sure we don't want another situation like Buehrle's again next year. :(:

If the Sox are in the race, they won't trade away key pieces just because they're pending free agents. They didn't trade away Konerko in 2005.

JB98
08-02-2007, 06:27 PM
Garland is beginning to worry me. It seems that the same virus that infected Buehrle during the second half of last season is infecting Garland this second half. The similarities are striking. Both had an ERA in the low 3s during the first half of the season, both got shellacked in one game, then after that both have become crap for the remainder of the season. Well, that may possibly happen. Then we end up with the same situation with Jon next year that we had with Mark this year. Trade value is at a low, so a trade during the offseason makes no sense due to the crap teams are offering. Then we are backed into a corner. If by some wierd circumstance we are in the playoff race next year, Garland has had a good season, and we are forced to trade him at the deadline because he doesn't want to sign a deal similar to Buehrle's, then there will be outrage. He has to pull it together for the rest of the year, because I'm sure we don't want another situation like Buehrle's again next year. :(:

Garland's last six outings:
- Horrible vs. Twins
- Beats Orioles
- Good vs. Indians - Jenks blows game
- Horrible vs. Red Sox
- Beats Blue Jays
- Horrible vs. Yankees

He's been very inconsistent, which is unusual for him. Typically, he's consistently good or consistently bad.

whitesoxfan1986
08-02-2007, 06:35 PM
- Horrible vs. Twins
- Beats Orioles
- Horrible vs. Red Sox
- Beats Blue Jays
- Horrible vs. Yankees

He's been very inconsistent, which is unusual for him. Typically, he's consistently good or consistently bad.
IIRC, Garland gave up 3 ER in each of the games he wasn't crap in. That's not what I want to see out of him, and that is what concerns me. I guess that my standards for good starts are a little more strict than others. I'll give them to you:
0 ER-Awesome, shut out what more can you ask for
1-2 ER-Good outing
3 ER- decent but not great
4 ER-teetering between decent and crap
5+ ER-Crapola
I guess Jon spoiled me during the first half because at his worst he was giving up 4 or 5 ER but never more than that, along with the fact that those starts were few and far between. Now at his best he's giving up 3 ER. What's not to be worried about?

KyWhiSoxFan
08-02-2007, 06:52 PM
I did not see the game, but looking at the box score and what people have noted about Macdougal, it shows how an effective Macdougal is so critical to the team. When he is good (which he was not the first four months of the season until set down), he changes the complexion of the pen.

I hope he is 100% healthy next year and is an integral member of the bullpen. As we've seen, experience is critical to being a reliever -- you can't just be a hard thrower -- and it's good to see him have success once more. In New York, no less.

Railsplitter
08-02-2007, 07:04 PM
I got off work at four and I was surprised the game was on when I turned on the car radio. That was nothing compared to my surprise when it was anine inning game.
:bandance:

Railsplitter
08-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Almost forgot. A lady who was at the game called the Score after the game on her cell phone.

Now that's a fan, to have that number on speed dial. :wink:

MDF3530
08-02-2007, 07:19 PM
The second inning of today's ballgame has been so typical of this season:

Get a lead and **** it up.

TDog
08-02-2007, 07:27 PM
The second inning of today's ballgame has been so typical of this season:

Get a lead and **** it up.

From then on, the Sox continued to score and the bullpen held the Yankees. That makes the final 78 percent of the game atypical of the season. There is good news to be found that doesn't involve a single-inning aberration in an otherwise strong game.

If the Yankees just miss qualifying for the postseason this year, they can look back at an afternoon in August against the White Sox, much like White Sox fans look back to an afternoon against the Yankees in 2003.

MCHSoxFan
08-02-2007, 08:04 PM
- Horrible vs. Twins
- Beats Orioles
- Horrible vs. Red Sox
- Beats Blue Jays
- Horrible vs. Yankees

Looks like he will BEAT his next oppenent.

JB98
08-02-2007, 08:08 PM
Looks like he will BEAT his next oppenent.

Cleveland should just forfeit next Wednesday's game now. :D:

soxinem1
08-02-2007, 08:33 PM
- Horrible vs. Twins
- Beats Orioles
- Horrible vs. Red Sox
- Beats Blue Jays
- Horrible vs. Yankees

Which means, like his entire career, he's inconsistent, right?:rolleyes:

Brian26
08-02-2007, 08:39 PM
And a big congrats to Dye for showing all the dopes in LA and Boston why they should have given up a few unproven players for him.

Really, a rather precarious situation for the Sox to be in right now. They couldn't trade Dye for fair value because his value wasn't that great before the break (due to his poor play), and now he's starting to really heat up, which is going to make it harder for them to sign him to an extension at a reasonable price. You have to wonder why he couldn't have played this well before the deadline.

The Sox need to sign him cheaply ASAP or just accept the fact that he's going to be gone this winter.

TomParrish79
08-02-2007, 08:42 PM
i didnt get to see the game...but atleast we won

JB98
08-02-2007, 08:48 PM
Which means, like his entire career, he's inconsistent, right?:rolleyes:

No.

First half 2005 - really good
Second half 2005 - meh
First half 2006 - really terrible
Second half 2006 - really good

He doesn't typically go one good start, one bad start. He's either good or bad for an extended period of time.

soxjim
08-02-2007, 08:57 PM
I was on the elliptical when the SOX scored 8 runs. A shower and wildberry water later the score was 8 up. Just glad the SOX won. The Yankees have been scoring runs in bunches lately.

DickAllen72
08-02-2007, 09:08 PM
Don't look now, but over the past ten games the White Sox have the best record in the AL Central. :bandance: :gulp:

soxinem1
08-02-2007, 09:19 PM
Don't look now, but over the past ten games the White Sox have the best record in the AL Central. :bandance: :gulp:

The big "What If........................'

Frater Perdurabo
08-02-2007, 09:36 PM
The big "What If........................'

The big "What If" is the 4-14 record the Sox had against NL teams this year. :(:

chisoxfanatic
08-02-2007, 10:29 PM
For those who actually were able to watch the game today, did Ersty, Thome, and Cintron look like their injuries were of the day-to-day kind, or will one or more land on the DL?

thomas35forever
08-02-2007, 10:33 PM
The big "What If" is the 4-14 record the Sox had against NL teams this year. :(:
Sadly, even if the Sox went 18-0 in interleague play, it still might not have been enough for a playoff spot considering our division.

soxinem1
08-02-2007, 10:34 PM

Even if that was reversed, they'd still not even be a .500 team.

The BIG 'What If' list has about eight or nine items on it. Way too many.

JB98
08-02-2007, 10:40 PM
For those who actually were able to watch the game today, did Ersty, Thome, and Cintron look like their injuries were of the day-to-day kind, or will one or more land on the DL?

They are all day-to-day. Only Thome has been ruled out for tomorrow's game. Jim says he hopes to return Saturday.

Lip Man 1
08-02-2007, 10:46 PM
Getting that big lead and then losing it almost immediately reminded me of this one from July 1990:

Game Played on Saturday, July 14, 1990 (D) at Yankee Stadium

CHI A (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1990/TCHA01990.htm) 1 6 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 - 8 17 0
NY A (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1990/TNYA01990.htm) 0 2 1 1 0 0 3 0 0 0 - 7 11 3

Lip

JB98
08-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Getting that big lead and then losing it almost immediately reminded me of this one from July 1990:

CHI A (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1990/TCHA01990.htm) 1 6 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 - 8 17 0
NY A (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1990/TNYA01990.htm) 0 2 1 1 0 0 3 0 0 0 - 7 11 3

Lip

I believe the Sox blew a 9-3 lead in the eighth inning to the Brewers during July 1990 as well. They were wearing those "Turn Back the Clock" unis at the old park, IIRC.

soxfanreggie
08-02-2007, 11:10 PM
A win is a win, but it's hard watching Jon get shelled out there several times now.

Nellie_Fox
08-03-2007, 01:10 AM
...therefore, he can focus more money on a select few individuals...

*cough* *cough* A-rod... *cough*Not going to happen.

chisoxmike
08-03-2007, 01:13 AM

Lip

I was at this gem...

Sunday, May 12, 1996

Yankees (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/1996.shtml) 0 0 0 2 2 5 0 0 0 9 13 1
White Sox (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/1996.shtml) 1 7 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 8 10 1

Larry Thomas took the loss for the Pale Hose.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA199605120.shtml

Grzegorz
08-03-2007, 05:55 AM
A win is a win, but it's hard watching Jon get shelled out there several times now.

His recent performances are bothersome but a win is a win. Upper echelon pitchers achieve consistency; I expect to see improvement from one of the "better" pitchers in MLB.

SBSoxFan
08-03-2007, 10:59 AM
I was on the elliptical when the SOX scored 8 runs. A shower and wildberry water later the score was 8 up. Just glad the SOX won. The Yankees have been scoring runs in bunches lately.

That'll learn ya for drinking wildberry :o: water. :D:

southside rocks
08-03-2007, 12:39 PM
The Dugout has a nice take on yesterday's game, here:
http://dugout.progressiveboink.com/archive/nick150.htm