PDA

View Full Version : Retirement In Erstad's Future?

Puffy Palmeiro
08-02-2007, 03:52 PM
I have always admired Darin as a talented player, consummate professional and fiery competitor. He fits in on this team perfectly ... when he is healthy. That, unfortunately, has been a rarity in 2007. It appears he suffers from a multitude of chronic problems that are exacerbated by playing baseball. What kind of contract does he have, both dollar and term wise? Do you perceive him as a contributing member of the 2008 White Sox, or would retirement be his best option at this point?

Boondock Saint
08-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Athletes get injured, old or young. Them's the breaks. I don't know what his contract is, but it's certainly not the best move for him to retire when he still has good baseball in him.

oeo
08-02-2007, 03:55 PM
Athletes get injured, old or young. Them's the breaks. I don't know what his contract is, but it's certainly not the best move for him to retire when he still has good baseball in him.

Athletes don't get injured like Erstad does. I think he's living in a 60-year-old body.

balke
08-02-2007, 04:00 PM
Jon, Macdougal, Contreras, Haeger, Podsednik, Bukvich, Erstad, Dye all to hang up the spikes be traded or have contracts bought out? These threads and more at WSI tonight.

To be fair, this probably could be Erstad's last season.

Puffy Palmeiro
08-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Looking at his career stats, Erstad has only played 1 full season since 2002. Worse yet, since his phenomenal year in 2000 (240 H 25 HR 100 RBI 28 SB .950 OPS), he has not posted an OPS of over .750. His season highs since then have not exceeded 10 HR, 73 RBI and a .295 BA. At 33, he is unquestionably over the hill physically and with a battered body, the mental side starts to deteriorate as well. No room for him in 2008, I respectfully opine.

eriqjaffe
08-02-2007, 04:07 PM
Erstad's contract, according to Cot's (http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/chicago-white-sox.html)...

1 year/$1M (2007), plus $3.5M 2008 option

signed as a free agent 1/07
07:$0.75M, 08:$3.5M club option ($0.25M buyout)
2008 option may increase:
to $6M with 600 PAs in 2007
by $0.25M for winning 2007 Comeback Player of the Year

buyout for 2008 may increase to as much as $1.25M based on 2007 PAsI don't think we're gonna have to worry about him getting 600 PAs this year.

He'll probably be off the Sox' hands for a quarter of a million next year. KW would have to be crazier than we thought to pick up a $3.5 million option on Injurestad.

Puffy Palmeiro
08-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Cot's is a great website! First time user - thanks for linking it! A bit offthread, but Jenks is only yanking down $450,000 in 2007? Why isn't he barking for a long-term deal at the going rate for premier closers? He has proven himself, no?

eriqjaffe
08-02-2007, 04:25 PM
Cot's is a great website! First time user - thanks for linking it! A bit offthread, but Jenks is only yanking down $450,000 in 2007? Why isn't he barking for a long-term deal at the going rate for premier closers? He has proven himself, no?He's still within his first three years of ML service. His contract is automatic until he's arbitration eligible. I'd expect the Sox to negotiate something with him at that time.

santo=dorf
08-02-2007, 04:43 PM
Athletes don't get injured like Erstad does. I think he's living in a 60-year-old body.
Nah, it's all bad luck. It's just not the Sox's year especially with injuries like these. I mean seriously, Thome, MacDougal, Crede, Pods and Erstad all with DL stints? We're so unlucky and if we didn't have these injuries we'd be in this thing.

munchman33
08-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Cot's is a great website! First time user - thanks for linking it! A bit offthread, but Jenks is only yanking down $450,000 in 2007? Why isn't he barking for a long-term deal at the going rate for premier closers? He has proven himself, no?

That isn't the way baseball works. Your first four years, you basically make minimum. Your next two, you go to arbitration. Then you become a free agent, where you get the big money. Jenks has a long way to go before he makes the big bucks.

spiffie
08-02-2007, 04:54 PM
Nah, it's all bad luck. It's just not the Sox's year especially with injuries like these. I mean seriously, Thome, MacDougal, Crede, Pods and Erstad all with DL stints? We're so unlucky and if we didn't have these injuries we'd be in this thing.
Really, no one could have seen any of those coming. Especially Pods and Erstad, they've been ironmen the last few years.

QCIASOXFAN
08-02-2007, 05:02 PM
I think he will be back and stay healthy all year in 08.

santo=dorf
08-02-2007, 05:08 PM
I think he will be back and stay healthy all year in 08.
:bong:

I just noticed "Home" was left out of the title.

thedudeabides
08-02-2007, 05:11 PM

I know what your getting at but there is some bad luck involved in having all of these guys hurt at essentially the same time. It would kill other good teams with rosters just as injury prone.

The Red Sox roster in the last couple of years has had Schilling, Beckett, Manny, Drew, Lugo, Varitek, Timlin on the dl.

Tigers recedt dl stints- Mags, Polanco, Rogers, Sheffield, Guillen

Do I even need to list the Yankees?

These are good teams and if they had injuries to all these players they would certainly struggle.

Flight #24
08-02-2007, 05:18 PM
I believe that Darin woudl retire, and promptly trip over the doorway to the retirement home, break his ankle, then when he left the hospital on crutches, dislocate his shoulder, and while trying to balance with a leg and an arm in casts, pull his hammy.

Tragg
08-02-2007, 05:35 PM
Based on what everyone says about his personality and such, he should have started his coaching career yesterday. He'll probably be a good one.

Time to bring up Sweeney: Sweeney in right, Owens in CF and Dye in LF. Pods gives them and Thome a day off.

JB98
08-02-2007, 06:14 PM
Based on what everyone says about his personality and such, he should have started his coaching career yesterday. He'll probably be a good one.

Time to bring up Sweeney: Sweeney in right, Owens in CF and Dye in LF. Pods gives them and Thome a day off.

Is Sweeney healthy? He's sat out a couple games in Charlotte.....

soxinem1
08-02-2007, 09:46 PM

As long as he's not a 'Strength and Conditioning' Coach. He'd be getting hurt all the time.

JB98
08-02-2007, 09:47 PM
As long as he's not a 'Strength and Conditioning' Coach. He'd be getting hurt all the time.

Doesn't seem like this injury is real serious. It is being described as "cramps."

kobo
08-02-2007, 10:02 PM
I believe that Darin woudl retire, and promptly trip over the doorway to the retirement home, break his ankle, then when he left the hospital on crutches, dislocate his shoulder, and while trying to balance with a leg and an arm in casts, pull his hammy.
:rolling:

santo=dorf
08-03-2007, 12:46 AM
Doesn't seem like this injury is real serious. It is being described as "cramps."
He missed a month spraining his ankle and another month playing half an inning on it.

Put a fork in him.

The Immigrant
08-03-2007, 10:33 AM
That isn't the way baseball works. Your first four years, you basically make minimum. Your next two, you go to arbitration. Then you become a free agent, where you get the big money. Jenks has a long way to go before he makes the big bucks.

Some teams sign their young stars to long-term contract early, thus covering their arbitration years and the first couple years of free agency. Sizemore and Peralta on the Indians have such deals. The Sox would be smart to offer a similar deal to Bobby to lock him up.

palehozenychicty
08-03-2007, 10:42 AM
Really, no one could have seen any of those coming. Especially Pods and Erstad, they've been ironmen the last few years.

I know, right? Teal is beyond unnecessary here.

Flight #24
08-03-2007, 10:54 AM
I vote for Darin's new nickname....the Black Knight!

http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_pictures/grail/large/HolyGrail020.jpg

"Tis but a flesh wound!"

mcfish
08-03-2007, 03:55 PM
Some teams sign their young stars to long-term contract early, thus covering their arbitration years and the first couple years of free agency. Sizemore and Peralta on the Indians have such deals. The Sox would be smart to offer a similar deal to Bobby to lock him up.1) there's still plenty of time to offer Bobby such a deal, if desired. He's only just about to finish year 2 of service time, I believe. 2) I wouldn't want to offer a really long term deal to any relief pitcher, especially a closer. 3) If I'm right about service time, the Sox have Bobby locked up for 4 more years, and we don't give pitchers longer than 3 year deals.

Position players such as Sizemore and Peralta would a slightly different situation.

thedudeabides
08-03-2007, 05:33 PM
I vote for Darin's new nickname....the Black Knight!

http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_pictures/grail/large/HolyGrail020.jpg

"Tis but a flesh wound!"

I like it! :smile:

Tragg
08-03-2007, 07:20 PM
NOt to worry: Ozzie has that power-hitting Erstad at 1B, and in the favorable 2 spot in the order. Ozzie offense at its best.

Frater Perdurabo
08-03-2007, 07:46 PM
If he retires, will he still be hitting .400?

A. Cavatica
08-03-2007, 09:25 PM
NOt to worry: Ozzie has that power-hitting Erstad at 1B, and in the favorable 2 spot in the order. Ozzie offense at its best.

With Andy Gonzalez leading off, no less.

California Sox
08-03-2007, 09:29 PM
I'm not a huge Erstad fan, but even I am shocked at how bad he looked tonight. Two balls that combined wouldn't have made it to second base and two strikeouts. No wonder he was hitting .140 at Charlotte. Maybe it is time to stick a fork in him.

UserNameBlank
08-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Which happens first?

Erstad hits a home run or Erstad re-injures his ankle? Seriously.

I love how KW dumps Mackowiak to keep Podstad in the OF. He did it to play Owens every day? Yeah, right. Owens already was playing every day.

Mack was worth the money we were paying him. Pods, El Grindo... not so much. If the Sox didn't want to play Sweeney they could have started Mack in LF, Owens in CF, and used Terrero as the backup CF. Instead, they opt to go with two lesser players that actually cost more money. Mack + Terrero > Los Jugadoras Del Minor Leaguos Rehabilitos Assignmentos.

santo=dorf
08-04-2007, 08:20 PM
FWIW, Mack was having a monster July with a 1.132 OPS. Apparently that's only good enough for a 23 year old A-baller who will likely never wear a White Sox jersey without hitting up Grandstand, yet he would've been a better choice in our outfield over our current outfield options. Completely foolish.