PDA

View Full Version : YES Net for sale

Paulwny
08-02-2007, 12:06 PM
From Fortune Magazine:

NEW YORK (Fortune) -- The New York Yankees' cable network, the YES Network, is for sale, Fortune has learned. And some baseball insiders and Yankees limited partners are wondering whether the team itself might be next.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/08/01/news/companies/yes_sale.fortune/index.htm?postversion=2007080206

Viva Medias B's
08-02-2007, 09:13 PM
From Fortune Magazine:

NEW YORK (Fortune) -- The New York Yankees' cable network, the YES Network, is for sale, Fortune has learned. And some baseball insiders and Yankees limited partners are wondering whether the team itself might be next.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/08/01/news/companies/yes_sale.fortune/index.htm?postversion=2007080206

The article goes on the suggest that George is not in the best of health these days.

soltrain21
08-02-2007, 09:19 PM
Baseball will be very strange to me once George is no longer a part of it.

Frater Perdurabo
08-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Baseball will be very strange to me once George is no longer a part of it.

I don't want to wish ill on anyone, but I wish he'd sell the team to someone with lots of money and good intentions but who runs the team into the ground. I'd like another century or two to pass until the Yankees make another World Series.

soxfanreggie
08-02-2007, 11:07 PM
I know he was going to have his (now ex) son-in-law take over, but I don't know if he has anybody in mind. Pick me George, pick me. I'd run the team for a year, sell, and buy a big stake in the Sox.

palehozenychicty
08-03-2007, 09:52 AM
I know he was going to have his (now ex) son-in-law take over, but I don't know if he has anybody in mind. Pick me George, pick me. I'd run the team for a year, sell, and buy a big stake in the Sox.

Goldman Sachs is speaking with private equity firms about making a bid. Here is the Post's latest take this morning. I think it'll be a package deal a la Henry's purchase of the Sawx and NESN.

linkee (http://www.nypost.com/seven/08032007/news/regionalnews/bombers_may_be_sold_with_yes_net_regionalnews_pete r_lauria.htm)

chaerulez
08-03-2007, 11:17 AM
I don't want to wish ill on anyone, but I wish he'd sell the team to someone with lots of money and good intentions but who runs the team into the ground. I'd like another century or two to pass until the Yankees make another World Series.

And George hasn't done a good job of mismanaging his resources and his team underachieving? They haven't won a World Series since 2000 and been to one since 2003. Might not seem like a long time, but with their payroll it's a big deal over there. Steinbrenner was responsible for the Yankees getting Sheffield when everyone else was telling him to get Vlad. For some reason he decided not to break the bank on Beltran and how is stuck with a Damon/Melky platoon. He wanted to get Giambi and Mussina at all costs. Because Yankee contracts are backloaded, and the aging of the two players they've been paying very high yearly salaries and not getting that value in return. Even the organization has poorly handled correct moves, such as getting A-Rod. They let Jeter, a much poorer defensive SS than A-Rod, keep the most important infield position rather than upgrade the defense with A-Rod at SS. Kind of like how the Cubs let Soriano take CF even though he wasn't even that great of a LF. It was just silly, don't cater to what position these players want to play, you pay them the millions put them where they help the team. But remember, Jeter is the ultimate leader and winner. With the talk that the team gets handed down to his sons, I've heard they know even less about baseball, so it'd be funny if a McCaskey like downfall happens over there.

Anyone also notice the YES network is worth more than the Yankees themselves?