PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have trouble watching games?

PatK
08-02-2007, 10:30 AM
This team has me really not giving a crap about baseball anymore.

They are painful to watch. Between Contreras being an automatic loss, to Uribe being an automatic out, and everything else in between, it's like I can't stomach a whole game.

It used to be that I wouldn't miss the start of the game. If I was in the car, I'd have it on the radio. If I was at home, I'd have it on TV or radio.

Now, it's like "oh, the game's on. Lemme check the score".

And of course, most of the time, it's disappointing.

As much as we bag on Cubs fans, I can't see how they put up with crappy baseball year in year out like they do. This has been horrible to watch.

I guess I can look forward to seeing potential players for next year's roster, but that's about it.

aryzner
08-02-2007, 10:40 AM
I have to admit I have trouble watching when I know that Contreras is pitching the game.

When it's Buehrle I can definitely watch, I love to watch him pitch. Garland or Vazquez, I can watch and it isn't that bad. I guess when Danks is on the mound it's alright, too.

But yeah all in all this season is tough but I still watch and love to see the Sox win.

PatK
08-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Yeah, thank God for Mark and Javy keeping things interesting.

Marqhead
08-02-2007, 10:50 AM
It's definitely tough. I still get excited to watch Buehrle pitch. For the most part I watch the starter, and then turn off either the radio or tv as soon as the bullpen comes in. Despite our record I still get so angry when the bullpen blows a good game pitched by our starters.

HotelWhiteSox
08-02-2007, 10:57 AM
Yes, which is weird since I watched all the post dynasty Bulls since I enjoy watching guys develop, but not when the expectations were so high. Okay, maybe you look to see Richar, Owens, Fields, but when Contreras is pitching, ouch.

I've been watching a lot more soccer lately

Mr.1Dog
08-02-2007, 11:01 AM
Yeah, thank God for Mark and Javy keeping things interesting.

Not to mention seeing what the future has with Danks, Fields, and Owens.

DumpJerry
08-02-2007, 11:08 AM
I have to admit I have trouble watching when I know that Contreras is pitching the game.

When it's Buehrle I can definitely watch, I love to watch him pitch. Garland or Vazquez, I can watch and it isn't that bad. I guess when Danks is on the mound it's alright, too.

But yeah all in all this season is tough but I still watch and love to see the Sox win.
You realize you just listed 80% of the games as "watchable?"

thegooch
08-02-2007, 11:10 AM
but when Contreras is pitching, ouch.

It's awful watching him pitch. Its been like this since Opening Day too. What could Ozzie have possibly seen in spring training to let this guy start OD over Buerhle?

southside rocks
08-02-2007, 11:17 AM

Um, no. I don't think I will ever feel that way, although during the early 1990's I came close -- the strike, etc.

Watching the Sox games is different this year than it has been in previous seasons, but I still want them to play good baseball and I really want them to not finish under .500. So I look for the little things that are signs of hope for better days ahead, like Ehren Wasserman's relief stints, or Josh Fields' improvements at the plate.

And every now and then, there's a gem, and I couldn't enjoy it more if they were 20 games in first place. Like last Saturday night: gorgeous summer evening, I had great lower-deck box seats, Buehrle and Halliday pitched a fantastic game, the Sox won on the hits of a couple of the kids, and the fireworks show was really good. Did I sit there and think 'but they're not in first place'? No, I just really enjoyed myself.

If that's all there is this season, I'll take it. And I'll be back next season with high hopes, because I can't give up White Sox baseball.

PatK
08-02-2007, 11:25 AM
If that's all there is this season, I'll take it. And I'll be back next season with high hopes, because I can't give up White Sox baseball.

That's the way I'm trying to look at it. I don't want to prove correct Cubs fans' consensus opinion of us that us Sox fans only watch when we're winning and that WE are the bandwagon fans.

I wish Richar would have played last night. I know he's a lefty and all, but lets see what he can do at the big leagues. We already know what Andy Gonzalez can do, and it's not pretty,

Chicken Dinner
08-02-2007, 11:41 AM
I'm just waiting for the Kenny Williams appreciation thread to start. :D:

Lip Man 1
08-02-2007, 11:50 AM
Pat:

Here's your answer to those Cub fans...basically that all those years of filling Wrigley Field to see garbage provided no incentive for management to do anything to try to win. They couldn't put one more person in that place....so why should they try to improve the club?

Cub fans have been fools for years for supporting trash.

Fortunately Sox fans have a better taste when it comes to baseball.

Lip

MCHSoxFan
08-02-2007, 12:09 PM

They are painful to watch. Between Contreras being an automatic loss, to Uribe being an automatic out, and everything else in between, it's like I can't stomach a whole game.

It used to be that I wouldn't miss the start of the game. If I was in the car, I'd have it on the radio. If I was at home, I'd have it on TV or radio.

Now, it's like "oh, the game's on. Lemme check the score".

And of course, most of the time, it's disappointing.

As much as we bag on Cubs fans, I can't see how they put up with crappy baseball year in year out like they do. This has been horrible to watch.

I guess I can look forward to seeing potential players for next year's roster, but that's about it.

Yeah, I agree. Since I just had surgery, all I do is lie in bed. I said to my grandma, "Can you turn on the game?" She turned it on. In the 3rd inning both games, I said, "Put on the Brewers!".

Also, I am always checking who will be pitching when I go to the games. I have been lucky lately because Jose has NOT been pitching when I go. In fact, I cannot even remember the last time I saw him pitch live when I was at USCF.

kitekrazy
08-02-2007, 01:51 PM
That's the way I'm trying to look at it. I don't want to prove correct Cubs fans' consensus opinion of us that us Sox fans only watch when we're winning and that WE are the bandwagon fans.

How many real Cub fans are there? Most people go because it's Wrigley field.
I don't lose sleep if someone labels me a "band wagon" fan. Every team has them.

In anything else, if a product is not good most people don't spend money on it. It works like that in professional sports with a few exceptions.

southside rocks
08-02-2007, 01:58 PM

Meh. I know what you mean, but I don't care what any fans of the northside baseball team might think of me, or of Sox fans in general. Some of them think a lot of bizarre things, from what I have observed over the years.

There's a difference between watching the games on TV (or listening to them on radio) and going to the park. I will always turn on the game, but I go to the park way more in the years when they are fielding a winning or competitive team. If the Sox revert to the bad old days and ways, I will not go to as many games, probably -- and neither will a lot of people, I believe -- but I won't stop turning on the game and watching/listening. :tongue:

Boondock Saint
08-02-2007, 02:14 PM
I have to say, watching Buehrle and Halladay last week was an absolute joy to watch...there's ALWAYS good baseball to be seen, if you just keep watching.

jabrch
08-02-2007, 02:14 PM
I love watching baseball. Watching this team is easier on me now since I look at it the same way I look at most any other team. I'm not attached to it. I don't have my hopes up for it. I'm waiting for a brand new team next year.

ArkanSox
08-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Pat:

Fortunately Sox fans have a bitter taste when it comes to bad baseball.

Lip

(fixed)

It's frustrating, but I'll still watch, as we wait for better days to come.

Puffy Palmeiro
08-02-2007, 02:54 PM
I heard this was the first time in MLB history that 8 runs were scored by both teams in the same inning. That can't be factual? Think I'll play 8-8-8-8 in the Illinois Lottery tonight.

Paulwny
08-02-2007, 02:59 PM
I heard this was the first time in MLB history that 8 runs were scored by both teams in the same inning. That can't be factual? Think I'll play 8-8-8-8 in the Illinois Lottery tonight.

From the AP:

It took exactly 1 hour to play the second inning Thursday, as New York and Chicago each scored eight runs. It was only the second time in major league history both teams scored eight or more in an inning. The first was only a little more than three years ago, when visiting Detroit scored eight and Texas had 10 in the fifth inning of the Rangers' 16-15, 10-inning win.

Puffy Palmeiro
08-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Thanks! The sports radio "talking heads" in Kalamazoo, Michigan aren't exactly famous for their investigative journalism.

Bobby Thigpen
08-02-2007, 03:28 PM
I can't watch it. This team is pathetic and I can't stomach watching them. And this is the first year I've really had that problem. I enjoyed watching them even in the late 90s more than I do this team. It's just bad and I can't watch it.

soxinem1
08-02-2007, 03:50 PM
I've always watched as many games as I can, and yes, it is tough to watch rough teams. But I had plenty of experience from the 70's on, so that is not too much of an issue.

The bigger problem for me is LISTENING to a game on the radio either in my garage or at work.

I grew up with the likes of Joe McConnell, Lorn Brown, Harry, etc and enjoyed John Rooney once I became an adult, but listening to Farmer and Singleton makes the bad product even tougher. Farmer was OK as a color guy, and Singleton has improved, but together, OUCH!

I was even annoyed with them in the first half of 2006 when the team had a decent record, but now it's like gas on the fire, especially considering that Farmer was not too hot of a pitcher, either.

SouthSideSid
08-02-2007, 03:52 PM
I can't watch it. This team is pathetic and I can't stomach watching them. And this is the first year I've really had that problem. I enjoyed watching them even in the late 90s more than I do this team. It's just bad and I can't watch it.
I really thought I would have more time on my hands with the Sox having a down year. I thought I wouldn't want to watch the games as much since the team was leaving all hope of the post-season behind, but I still find myself watching every game I can.
This year my kids are just learning from me how to cuss at the TV.

esbrechtel
08-02-2007, 05:29 PM
Not to mention seeing what the future has with Danks, Fields, and Owens.
This is why I watch and Richar...

JB98
08-02-2007, 05:36 PM
I have to say, watching Buehrle and Halladay last week was an absolute joy to watch...there's ALWAYS good baseball to be seen, if you just keep watching.

I was at that game, and it was wonderfully played. Really, our whole last homestand (with the exception of the Contreras shellacking) was good baseball. All three games against Toronto were well-pitched and well-played by both sides.

Then, the Sox relapse into what we saw in New York. At times, we play well, but the losses this year have been inordinately ugly and embarrassing.

We are just a poor team this year, and it's hard on the eyes at times. The won-loss record doesn't lie.

TDog
08-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Pat:

Here's your answer to those Cub fans...basically that all those years of filling Wrigley Field to see garbage provided no incentive for management to do anything to try to win. They couldn't put one more person in that place....so why should they try to improve the club?

Fortunately Sox fans have a better taste when it comes to baseball.

Lip

Unfortunately, that attitude also inspires periodic rumors, since the late '60s, that the Sox are headed for a city where people will do a better job of supporting them.

There is something to be said for the sort of blind loyalty to the Cubs fans show. There also is something to be said for those of us (when we're within a couple hundred miles of Chicago) who go out to the ballpark to see the Sox, not because they are in a pennant race or playing great baseball, but because we're Sox fans.

It would be great if more people had this attitude.

JB98
08-02-2007, 05:44 PM
Unfortunately, that attitude also inspires periodic rumors, since the late '60s, that the Sox are headed for a city where people will do a better job of supporting them.

There is something to be said for the sort of blind loyalty to the Cubs fans show. There also is something to be said for those of us (when we're within a couple hundred miles of Chicago) who go out to the ballpark to see the Sox, not because they are in a pennant race or playing great baseball, but because we're Sox fans.

It would be great if more people had such an attitude.

As much as I hate the way the 2007 White Sox play baseball, I've attended 14 games this year and will probably have attended 20-22 by the time the year is over. I've cut back a little bit this season, but I'm not going to stay away unless I feel management is completely incompetent. I don't have that feeling at this time.

cheezheadsoxfan
08-02-2007, 05:59 PM
I still look forward to the start of every game, except maybe Jose. I will turn the radio off and do something else if starts getting particularly painful but I always go back to check the score.

This year is less painful then last in a way. When I know they are out of the hunt I can relax a little and just enjoy baseball. Last year was worse because I was sure until almost the end that they were going to pull it together.

I've been a fan since '59 so I've seen plenty of bad baseball but I also got the World Series I never thought I would see. That has made me a lot more mellow.

Lip Man 1
08-02-2007, 07:39 PM
TDog:

Your comments have some validity as done this one... that 'support' works both ways. Cub management has been sticking it to their fans for years in large part because of the 'blind loyalty' attitude.

Reminds me of a story.

I visited the WGN studios in June 1976 because I was working on research material for a 400 level paper in college. I had already made arrangments to take the class that fall which was basically 'write a paper' and it better be damn good because it's the only chance you get.

My topic was 'the role of the sports broadcaster.'

So I lined up interviews with Harry, Johnny Morris, Chet Coppock and Vince Lloyd who was an incredible gentleman.

I asked for thirty minutes and he gave me a few hours as he told stories dating back to the 40's when he covered Adolph Rupp and UK (which I didn't know and I was going to UK!)

One of the stories he told me concerned Mr. Wrigley. Back in the 50's, Lloyd had the stones to ask him, 'why don't you put more effort into building a winner...'

To which Wrigley replied: 'My boy, we're not interested in winning...we're interested in entertaining...'

That's what happens sometimes with 'blind loyalty...'

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
08-02-2007, 08:42 PM
I typically enjoy watching White Sox baseball during the few opportunties I get each year to do so.

In 2005 it was a lot of fun to see the Sox win tight, exciting, crisp pitching and defense games. It was great to relish the Pods stolen base, the sacrifice, the timely hit, and the clutch AJ/PK/Crede/Frank/JD homer.

This year, it's been far less fun to see the crap from the bullpen. It's also not enjoyable watching four-hour softball slugfests.

lostfan
08-02-2007, 08:42 PM
Um, no. I don't think I will ever feel that way, although during the early 1990's I came close -- the strike, etc.

Watching the Sox games is different this year than it has been in previous seasons, but I still want them to play good baseball and I really want them to not finish under .500. So I look for the little things that are signs of hope for better days ahead, like Ehren Wasserman's relief stints, or Josh Fields' improvements at the plate.

And every now and then, there's a gem, and I couldn't enjoy it more if they were 20 games in first place. Like last Saturday night: gorgeous summer evening, I had great lower-deck box seats, Buehrle and Halliday pitched a fantastic game, the Sox won on the hits of a couple of the kids, and the fireworks show was really good. Did I sit there and think 'but they're not in first place'? No, I just really enjoyed myself.

To be honest, in my baseball memory there is a gaping 5 year hole, starting after the strike and ending somewhere between the whole McGwire-Sosa stuff and the Sox' postseason run in 2000.

My memory is something like this:
'80s (as a young'un): nothing but Bears, only subconsciously aware of baseball
Beginning of '90s: Little League, Frank Thomas, Ken Griffey Jr., Sandberg, Dawson, et. al. Started becoming a die-hard Sox and Cubs fan
'93ish: Blackjack, Sox playoff contention, more of Frank's juggernautism, Ventura. Chose Sox permanently as I was old enough to realize I had to choose, haven't looked back
'94: Absolutely loaded Sox team, Expos, worrying about the Yankees, possible World Series, Frank MVP season
late '94: STRIKE... OH MY GOD THIS ABSOLUTELY BLOWS, SCREW BASEBALL FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!
'97: Vague, fuzzy memories of interest sparking in baseball again, then being killed by the White Flag trade
'98: Passing awareness and casual observance of the Sosa-McGwire deal, Cubs squeak into playoffs
'99-2000: All right I guess I'll start watching Sox games regularly again since I play organized baseball now, I can't really do without baseball for the rest of my life, observed Sox' progress from overseas and out of town since then

Anyway, I closely watch the progress of the young guys on the team. Every day I check to see if Owens got a hit and what kind of hit, I check to see if Fields is keeping up his power hitting and if he's improving the strikeouts, now I check to see Richar, I've been following Danks very closely all year, and so on. The same will apply if Sweeney comes back up.

chisoxmike
08-03-2007, 12:28 AM
I still watch and go to games. Not as much as I have the past two years, just becuase I can't justify spending anymore money on this team.

I've been to 15 games so far this season. At this point last year, I had been to 30. In '05; 19, and '04; 17.

Lately, I haven't been watching the entire game. And defiantly haven't been choosing to watch a game over going out.

But I'll always be watching.

Nellie_Fox
08-03-2007, 12:29 AM
And defiantly haven't been choosing to watch a game over going out.Why be defiant about that?:?:

chisoxmike
08-03-2007, 12:31 AM
Why be defiant about that?:?:

Figure of speech I guess. :dunno:

Nellie_Fox
08-03-2007, 12:33 AM
Figure of speech I guess. :dunno:I think you meant "definitely."

chisoxmike
08-03-2007, 12:35 AM
I think you meant "definitely."

Damn.

*chisoxmike puts down the bottle of Miller Lite and looks at the computer clock.*

:redface:

Justagirl
08-03-2007, 08:34 AM
Not really- it's just something I've done since as long as I can remember. It's more out of habit than anything else, really. Pre 2005 I didn't get quite as upset as I do now and I took it a little less seriously- I guess. It was much more relaxing back in the day..now, I feel schizophrenic by the 7th inning... but I still watch.

voodoochile
08-03-2007, 08:46 AM
I don't center my life on watching the games, but if I'm around I will put it on. Of course living in NC, I have to watch on the computer, so I'll normally have the laptop showing the game and I'll be watching something else on TV or reading a book. The game won't be the central thing I'm paying attention to normally, but I keep half of one eye on it just because I enjoy watching baseball.

DannyCaterFan
08-03-2007, 01:25 PM

Now we know who the real fans are ! Not every season is going to be great. You have to stick with your team throughout the good and the bad. They will be back and good again real soon. It's still Baseball, and you gotta love the game.

lostfan
08-03-2007, 01:27 PM
Now we know who the real fans are ! Not every season is going to be great. You have to stick with your team throughout the good and the bad. They will be back and good again real soon. It's still Baseball, and you gotta love the game.
For some reason, it didn't bother me as much when I watched all those ****ty Bears teams for so many years as this Sox team does. Maybe because I wasn't really expecting much.

esbrechtel
08-03-2007, 01:33 PM
For some reason, it didn't bother me as much when I watched all those ****ty Bears teams for so many years as this Sox team does. Maybe because I wasn't really expecting much.
I feel the same way...ever since the sox won i expect more out of them thats why the games hurt to watch sometimes...but recently I have returned to the relaxing not caring as much and cheering for the young guys

Chisox353014
08-03-2007, 04:10 PM

Even the worst Bears team is only on 16 times a year. It is tough, however, to watch the same anemic offense and bullpen meltdown night after night for months on end. June pretty much killed any enthusiasm I had for the rest of this year. I check the score every day, but I haven't been watching much lately.

LITTLE NELL
08-03-2007, 04:52 PM
Ive been a White Sox for 54 years, they are my team and I will always watch them. As bad as they have played this year its amazing that they are not like 20 or 25 games under .500.