PDA

View Full Version : Haeger to AAA

Huisj
08-01-2007, 11:48 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070801soxgamer,1,2756276.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

"That's a terrible call," said Haeger, who was optioned to Triple-A Charlotte after the game. "There's nothing else you can say. Terrible."

The postgame wrapup from the trib mentions that Haeger was sent to AAA after the game. Does this mean MacDougal is coming back up? It looks like he's been ok on his rehab stint.

ChiSoxGirl
08-01-2007, 11:49 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070801soxgamer,1,2756276.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

The postgame wrapup from the trib mentions that Haeger was sent to AAA after the game. Does this mean MacDougal is coming back up? It looks like he's been ok on his rehab stint.

Per Rongey, and Ozzie in his postgame press conference, MacDougal's on his way up, replacing Haeger. :o::o:

oeo
08-01-2007, 11:51 PM
Per Rongey, and Ozzie in his postgame press conference, MacDougal's on his way up, replacing Haeger. :o::o:

He's been great in AAA. He said this is the first time since the beginning of the year that he's without pain. So, all looks good.

"I had pain pretty much all year until the last few weeks," MacDougal said. "Not necessarily serious, but now I feel free and clear. My arm has felt healthy for the last four or five days or the last week or so. It's feeling good."

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070801&content_id=2123212&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

chisoxmike
08-01-2007, 11:51 PM
:ohno

Can't be any worse... :dunno:

pierzynski07
08-01-2007, 11:52 PM
I need a picture of Moe.

OH! DEAR GOD NO!

oeo
08-01-2007, 11:54 PM
I need a picture of Moe.

OH! DEAR GOD NO!

The man was hurt all year, he said it himself. I saw him on Sunday, and he looked great.

JB98
08-01-2007, 11:56 PM
Hopefully, we get the healthy, effective MacDougal we saw the second half of 2006.

After a couple good outings initially, Haeger hasn't pitched very well.

Contreras to the bullpen; Floyd to the rotation; MacDougal back; Haeger to AAA. I agree with all of it.

oeo
08-01-2007, 11:58 PM
Hopefully, we get the healthy, effective MacDougal we saw the second half of 2006.

After a couple good outings initially, Haeger hasn't pitched very well.

Contreras to the bullpen; Floyd to the rotation; MacDougal back; Haeger to AAA. I agree with all of it.

This has not happened...at least not yet. Contreras' start is just getting skipped. Floyd's performance will dictate whether he moves to the rotation or not.

JB98
08-02-2007, 12:05 AM
This has not happened...at least not yet. Contreras' start is just getting skipped. Floyd's performance will dictate whether he moves to the rotation or not.

Yes, it has happened. The scenario just comes with a qualifier that it may not be a permanent change.

ChiSoxGirl
08-02-2007, 12:10 AM

Rongey mentioned on the postgame show tonight that Contreras has gone to the bullpen as of now and will be there until further notice.

esbrechtel
08-02-2007, 12:22 AM
I thought it took too long for Jose to warm up so he couldn't pitch from the pen...

oeo
08-02-2007, 12:24 AM
Rongey mentioned on the postgame show tonight that Contreras has gone to the bullpen as of now and will be there until further notice.

Ozzie says...
Right now, that's what we're going to do for the good of Jose. We try to protect him to see if it's mentally, physically, guts, whatever it is? We're going to skip him one start and see what happens.

Then later on, this is mentioned:
Although the immediate plan for Contreras involves just one missed start, Guillen added Wednesday that Floyd's success could extend his stay as a starter.
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070801&content_id=2123285&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

soltrain21
08-02-2007, 12:26 AM
I thought it took too long for Jose to warm up so he couldn't pitch from the pen...

Maybe that is his problem. He is fatigued before the game even starts.

Irishsox1
08-02-2007, 12:28 AM
I never want to see Haeger again. This guy is not MLB talent. Cut him, trade him, whatever, just get rid of him.

soltrain21
08-02-2007, 12:28 AM
I never want to see Haeger again. This guy is not MLB talent. Cut him, trade him, whatever, just get rid of him.

No way! We need to have him up for whenever we go head hunting.

ChiSoxGirl
08-02-2007, 12:31 AM
Ozzie says...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070801&content_id=2123285&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

My bad. Apparently I was misinformed. :dunno:

chisoxmike
08-02-2007, 12:34 AM

Yeah, I don't get the Haegar love. I've never been a fan of his and we don't have a catcher to catch a knuckleball. A.J. sucks at it. Half the success of a knuckleball pitcher is having a catcher that is able to catch one. Can we get Ed Herrmann back? :dunno:

A. Cavatica
08-02-2007, 01:14 AM
"I told the keed not to heet the batter, but he went an' plunked him anyway."

:ozzie

kittle42
08-02-2007, 01:19 AM

Thank you! Where is the "Haeger is ****ing god" crowd, now? I swear, some of the posters on this site make me hate some of my favorite team's own players with their ridiculousness.

BainesHOF
08-02-2007, 01:27 AM
It's time to release Haeger.

balke
08-02-2007, 01:30 AM
Haeger should retire and hang up the spikes and be bought out and released and etc. etc.

Meanwhile there's like 30 pitchers for the Sox in the minors that aren't even good enough to get the shot that Haeger gets. They should be released and fired too. Dye should be released. Every bad player should be fired, there is no hope for them.

oeo
08-02-2007, 01:37 AM
It's time to release Haeger.

:?:

What exactly is the point of that?

Ranger
08-02-2007, 01:41 AM
There seems to be some discrepancy, but as far as I know, Contreras will be in the pen for the time being. This according to pitching coach. I'm gonna go with that until I hear otherwise.

Nellie_Fox
08-02-2007, 01:47 AM
Thank you! Where is the "Haeger is ****ing god" crowd, now? I swear, some of the posters on this site make me hate some of my favorite team's own players with their ridiculousness.I've always liked knuckleballers. It goes back to hearing Brickhouse say "here comes Dr. Wilhelm and his dancing medicine show" when Hoyt was being called in from the bullpen. Then there was Eddie Fisher, Wilbur Wood, and Charlie Hough (no, I'm not quite old enough to have seen Cicotte float one up there.)

So, I wanted to see Haeger succeed. I don't know why that aggravates you so much. I'll bet I read more posts than you do, and I simply don't recall anyone saying Haeger was a god. There was some enthusiasm after he had a couple of good outings, but you are seriously exaggerating the extent of that enthusiasm. Take a deep breath. You've hated him since he came up, and got upset at anyone who didn't, thus leading you to read more into their posts than was there.

kittle42
08-02-2007, 02:13 AM
So, I wanted to see Haeger succeed. I don't know why that aggravates you so much. I'll bet I read more posts than you do, and I simply don't recall anyone saying Haeger was a god. There was some enthusiasm after he had a couple of good outings, but you are seriously exaggerating the extent of that enthusiasm. Take a deep breath. You've hated him since he came up, and got upset at anyone who didn't, thus leading you to read more into their posts than was there.

You're right. It's just part of my getting ticked at the "this guy we have is better than the other crap we have so let's make him a lock for next year" crowd.

Noneck
08-02-2007, 02:44 AM
I love knuckleballers also and am hoping for Haeger bigtime. Doc Wilhelm could close every day of the week, Woody could pitch doubleheaders, Hough and Fisher were great inning wasters. Haeger still may be like one of the above he has plenty of time to get it together, I just hope its with the Sox.

BV2005
08-02-2007, 03:19 AM
I am hoping for Haegar to succeed, Knuckleballers are fun to watch, I just hope he gets his stuff together.

alohafri
08-02-2007, 06:57 AM

Chained to the fence, I hope. ;)

BainesHOF
08-02-2007, 08:32 AM
:?:

What exactly is the point of that?

He's not a viable major-league option so what's the point of allowing him to take innings away from legitimate prospects?

If you remember, Haeger was on a roll in the minors before being called up this time. Then he got bombed in the majors. It's pretty clear his knuckleball isn't good enough at the major-league level. Buh-bye.

SBSoxFan
08-02-2007, 10:26 AM
Guillen added Wednesday that Floyd's success could extend his stay as a starter.What success? :dunno:

balke
08-02-2007, 10:29 AM
What success? :dunno:

At this point, I'd rather see Massett starting than Floyd.

Mr. White Sox
08-02-2007, 10:36 AM

Floyd is out of options after this year. Better to see him struggle now and confirm that he's terrible (or better than we thought) than to see him forced onto the 25-man next year.

balke
08-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Floyd is out of options after this year. Better to see him struggle now and confirm that he's terrible (or better than we thought) than to see him forced onto the 25-man next year.

No, I'm ready to see Floyd this season. This season is Ova. Next season though, he won't be a major leaguer regardless IMO. If the Sox were in trouble and competing though, I think they'd have to go with Massett or call up Broadway, Egbert, or Gio.

kittle42
08-02-2007, 10:52 AM

Same thing.

soxinem1
08-02-2007, 10:57 AM
No, I'm ready to see Floyd this season. This season is Ova. Next season though, he won't be a major leaguer regardless IMO. If the Sox were in trouble and competing though, I think they'd have to go with Massett or call up Broadway, Egbert, or Gio.

I am no Floyd fan, and his tentativeness reminds me a lot of Scott Ruffcorn. At the same token, it's kind of now or never with him. If he goes out there and totally blows, they can say they gave him a chance because he's out of minor league options in ST 2008.

Gio is the only one of that group I'd take a chance starting now, the others can wait for another time. Besides, having Massett come up and nibble around again is the last thing we need. Contreras can just stay in the rotation if thats an option.

soxfan13
08-02-2007, 11:03 AM
Ozzie says...

Actually missed part of the quote , at least according to the Sun-Times

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/494079,CST-SPT-soxnt02.article

''Right now, we're going to skip him one start, putting him in the bullpen,'' Guillen said of his former ace. ''We find out is it mentally or physically? Maybe it's only one turn. It's not going to be automatic for Gavin Floyd's spot.

soxfan43
08-02-2007, 11:23 AM
The seasons over. The tryouts are on. It's time to see if Floyd can give us anything next year, especially if he is out of options. I don't get all this Floyd hatred, he needs to get a few starts in a row to see if he's worth anything to the team.

INSox56
08-02-2007, 11:28 AM
I don't get the Haeger hate, really. He was completely lights out for us last year when he came up, so he obviously can pitch at the major league level. It's just with the knuckler it's inherently inconsistent, him being a rook probably doesn't help that fact. I'd be willing to give him a chance, but whatever. No way Massett is starting any time soon, same reason McCarthy didn't start last year, they're not stretched out at all. Even worse than that, Massett sucked far worse than Haeger did this year, yet you want him to pitch more innings, even when he isn't stretched? Bad idea there.

Good article this morning talking to Coop. He said that we need to give guys looks this year at the ML level because obviously we can't tell jack **** from ST stats (thank you AZ....), be it pitching or hitting.

southside rocks
08-02-2007, 11:43 AM
I've always liked knuckleballers. It goes back to hearing Brickhouse say "here comes Dr. Wilhelm and his dancing medicine show" when Hoyt was being called in from the bullpen. Then there was Eddie Fisher, Wilbur Wood, and Charlie Hough (no, I'm not quite old enough to have seen Cicotte float one up there.)

So, I wanted to see Haeger succeed.

I love knuckleballers also and am hoping for Haeger bigtime. Doc Wilhelm could close every day of the week, Woody could pitch doubleheaders, Hough and Fisher were great inning wasters. Haeger still may be like one of the above he has plenty of time to get it together, I just hope its with the Sox.

I am hoping for Haegar to succeed, Knuckleballers are fun to watch, I just hope he gets his stuff together.

Yep, yep and yep. I too remember Wilhelm and Wood and what they brought to the Sox teams of the late 1960's. I remember Phil Niekro, too. I would love to see a GOOD knuckleballer on the White Sox, and I hope that someday soon Charlie Haeger is that knuckleballer.

Until then, here's a site with some funny -- and accurate -- comments on the knuckleball: http://www.oddball-mall.com/knuckleball/quotes.htm

soxinem1
08-02-2007, 09:24 PM
I don't get the Haeger hate, really. He was completely lights out for us last year when he came up, so he obviously can pitch at the major league level. It's just with the knuckler it's inherently inconsistent, him being a rook probably doesn't help that fact. I'd be willing to give him a chance, but whatever.

http://www.nndb.com/people/114/000031021/james-gammon-sized.jpg

'Getting out a bunch of guys who will be selling shoes in a few weeks (September recalls) doesn't mean jack.'

Droso5
08-02-2007, 09:43 PM
I'm strongly in the Nick Masset camp. He is a starter and his first and only start on the White Sox (not sure if it was his first start in the majors) was a pretty solid effort against a well hitting Cubs team at The Urinal. Yes he sucked in the bullpen, but that's the bullpen, not toeing the rubber in a five man rotation. Give the kid a legit shot, his start was far better than Floyds two. Believe me, I know we arent looking at the next Rick Vaughn here, but he had a solid start, which is more than you can say for many other of the White Sox's "sure fire can't miss" prospects.

MikeW
08-02-2007, 10:41 PM
Why don't the Sox hire Wilbur Wood to work with Haeger? Wood lives in the Boston area. Just a thought.:rolleyes:

Nellie_Fox
08-03-2007, 01:13 AM
Why don't the Sox hire Wilbur Wood to work with Haeger? Wood lives in the Boston area. Just a thought.:rolleyes:I understand that Hough is already working with him.

kittle42
08-03-2007, 10:11 AM
I'm strongly in the Nick Masset camp. He is a starter and his first and only start on the White Sox (not sure if it was his first start in the majors) was a pretty solid effort against a well hitting Cubs team at The Urinal. Yes he sucked in the bullpen, but that's the bullpen, not toeing the rubber in a five man rotation. Give the kid a legit shot, his start was far better than Floyds two. Believe me, I know we arent looking at the next Rick Vaughn here, but he had a solid start, which is more than you can say for many other of the White Sox's "sure fire can't miss" prospects.

That start wasn't that great. I still stand by my statement immediately afterward that if it wasn't against the Cubs, no one would think it was anything to write home about.

balke
08-03-2007, 12:27 PM
That start wasn't that great. I still stand by my statement immediately afterward that if it wasn't against the Cubs, no one would think it was anything to write home about.

I didn't even remember it was against the Cubs. I just remembered he didn't give up nearly as many runs as I see Floyd give up. 3 hits 5 2/3 IP with 2 ER. He got the W.

What has Floyd done? He's had 21 career starts with a 7+ ERA. He's never going to click. He has one pitch, and there's like 8 guys on this staff who throw the same speed fastball or harder and not as straight. Massett is one of them. I'll go with the guy who has the ability to hit 100 MPH with his fastball, over the guy who can hit 96.

oeo
08-03-2007, 12:37 PM
Actually missed part of the quote , at least according to the Sun-Times

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/494079,CST-SPT-soxnt02.article

''Right now, we're going to skip him one start, putting him in the bullpen,'' Guillen said of his former ace. ''We find out is it mentally or physically? Maybe it's only one turn. It's not going to be automatic for Gavin Floyd's spot.

Yeah, the other article mentions the bullpen too, but it's for one start, apparently. Floyd's performance will make the decision.

oeo
08-03-2007, 12:43 PM
Same thing.

Not at all. Masset can actually get a breaking ball over every once and awhile, and from what I've seen, has a better fastball. Floyd honestly looks like he's just learning to throw a curve ball, the way most of them are about to hit a RH, or way outside to the LH.

The guy still has shown flashes of what he can do. It wasn't just at Wrigley...in the opening series he had a big game, too. Sure he's had his struggles (who hasn't?), but he's also shown something to look forward to.

ZombieRob
08-03-2007, 03:34 PM
I understand that Hough is already working with him.
Nellie I'm with you about how i feel about Knucklers.When they are used right they are a nice weapon to have.I think Ozzie's patience with them though is a detriment.He just doesn't it seem to like Charlie for some reason.