PDA

View Full Version : Waivers?

soxtalker
08-01-2007, 05:26 PM
mlbtraderumors (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/) had a brief summary of the waiver trade rules today. Other than Contreras (who would probably pass easily through waivers), is there any chance for trades of any other players via this mechanism this month?

esbrechtel
08-01-2007, 05:28 PM
doubtful...but I wish Jose would have pitched better yesterday to make it look like he still might have something...

DSpivack
08-01-2007, 06:23 PM
doubtful...but I wish Jose would have pitched better yesterday to make it look like he still might have something...

I doubt there any takers (suckers?) for a 3?-year old pitcher with a 6.60 era and who is signed for the next two seasons at $10 mil per year.

soxtalker
08-01-2007, 06:52 PM
I suppose that this does depend a bit on injuries. I could see someone like Uribe or Erstad -- someone on the team who won't be expected to bring draft picks -- if a player is injured on another team.

Tragg
08-01-2007, 08:19 PM
mlbtraderumors (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/) had a brief summary of the waiver trade rules today. Other than Contreras (who would probably pass easily through waivers), is there any chance for trades of any other players via this mechanism this month?
2/3 of the non-pitchers on this team would clear waivers. This is a horrendous offensive team. No one wants Ozzie's assemblage of hackers....if they did, Williams would have dumped them last month.

A. Cavatica
08-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Uribe would certainly clear. Cintron, Erstad, Podsednik might.

Frater Perdurabo
08-01-2007, 08:56 PM
I wish that Ozzie's hackers would not clear waivers, but that they would get claimed and KW would simply say "all right, go ahead and take them."

I almost wish that KW would go with a smaller roster just to force Ozzie to play Richar, Fields and Owens (and eventually Sweeney, when he's back at full strength) every single game.

Brian26
08-01-2007, 09:12 PM
2/3 of the non-pitchers on this team would clear waivers. This is a horrendous offensive team. No one wants Ozzie's assemblage of hackers....if they did, Williams would have dumped them last month.

I disagree with this. Remember that Pods, Erstad andr Uribe all have 67% of their 2007 salary already paid for, and they all have options for next year that could be declined.

As a whole, they suck rotten eggs this year. However, if a team needed a piece to fit into the greater collective puzzle, I could see any of these guys getting picked up for the stretch run. A lot of teams would go for Pods.

Tragg
08-01-2007, 09:21 PM
I disagree with this. Remember that Pods, Erstad andr Uribe all have 67% of their 2007 salary already paid for, and they all have options for next year that could be declined.

As a whole, they suck rotten eggs this year. However, if a team needed a piece to fit into the greater collective puzzle, I could see any of these guys getting picked up for the stretch run. A lot of teams would go for Pods.
Someone might pick one or two of them up for free - maybe...but we would have virtually given any of them away yesterday. And it doesn't do us much...save a million maybe.

BTW, when does one start waiving players?

It would really be nice for Contreras to have a couple of good outings. Waiver time would be useful with him. But waiting for that is just howling at the moon.

Brian26
08-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Someone might pick one or two of them up for free - maybe...but we would have virtually given any of them away yesterday. And it doesn't do us much...save a million maybe.

BTW, when does one start waiving players?

It would really be nice for Contreras to have a couple of good outings. Waiver time would be useful with him. But waiting for that is just howling at the moon.

Contreras, with his salary structure, is one guy I think would fly through waivers without anybody touching him.

Tragg
08-02-2007, 09:19 AM
Contreras, with his salary structure, is one guy I think would fly through waivers without anybody touching him.

That's true, but the Sox would prefer it if someone DID touch him; and so would I...$20 million saved.

That's my point....we aren't getting players for these guys....nothing of consequence...if someone claims Pods we might let them have him; or we pull him back and maybe, maybe get the A ball pitcher if desparation really creeps in.
And our players with value will never clear.

I don't see it helping us unless we get lucky on a player we might claim or if Contreras starts pitching well.

cws05champ
08-02-2007, 12:16 PM
The sox will probably put their entire 25 man roster through waivers. This is the game that is played between GM's. If they only put a select few guys through waivers it will be clear which guys they are willing to let go...if they put everyone through waivers the other teams will not know which guys the Sox are willing to pull back and which will clear waivers. This is done by a lot of teams....

RCWHITESOX
08-02-2007, 12:40 PM
I doubt there any takers (suckers?) for a 3?-year old pitcher with a 6.60 era and who is signed for the next two seasons at $10 mil per year.

When Contreras retires the truth will come out that he is closer to 65 than 35 when he applies for his social security benefits.

soxfanreggie
08-02-2007, 10:22 PM
I myself have always wondered how old Jose really is. He definitely looks well over 40. Sad thing is, he might not even know how old he is.

As for waivers, I wonder what is the most players that have ever been put on waivers from one team. I think we should at least see Pods, Erstad, Uribe, Cintron, Contreras, Vaz (probably won't clear), Garland (probably won't clear), and Dye make an attempt.

JB98
08-02-2007, 11:08 PM
I wish that Ozzie's hackers would not clear waivers, but that they would get claimed and KW would simply say "all right, go ahead and take them."

I almost wish that KW would go with a smaller roster just to force Ozzie to play Richar, Fields and Owens (and eventually Sweeney, when he's back at full strength) every single game.

Richar, Fields and Owens are playing nearly every game.

Fields has gotten a bit of a break this week because he's in a pretty bad funk.