PDA

View Full Version : Inflated Attendance Expectations?

Procol Harum
08-01-2001, 03:41 PM
Last night I was watching the Grubs/Padres game for a bit and Steve Stone was visiting in the booth. One of the topics of conversation was the health of the Padres franchise and their quest for a new stadium. In the course of this conversation was the Padres' owner's complaint about low attendance--a number which climbed over 2.4 million in 2000 (this year they're on target to come in about 4% lower).

My question is this--and this is very relevant to our situation as Sox fans--what the blankety-blank do these guys expect in terms of attendance? San Diego averaged OVER 30,000 per game last year and yet their ownership is moaning about their lack of support (of what is, by the by, a traditionally crappy baseball team--hmmmm, more parallels to our situation there)! I can remember a scant 11 years ago when our Sox shattered their previous attendance record at Old Comiskey with a fraction over 2 million--a record which was in turn blasted the very next year in the new ballpark. I firmly believe that most of the blame for the Sox current attendance decline (I refuse to label them as "Attendance woes" with well over 1.9 million fans last year) lies squarely in Reinsdorf's lap for poor management of the team and an absolutely poison relationship with the fans. But the larger question is this--what constitutes good attendance? Feedback?

cheeses_h_rice
08-01-2001, 03:47 PM
For some perspective, go to baseball-reference.com and look at the Sox's attendance figures during the late '60s and early '70s. It makes our current predicament seem not so bad. One year, the Sox averaged around 6000 people a game.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/attend.shtml

Procol Harum
08-01-2001, 03:51 PM
Good reference--that was probably the 1970 team when they were 56-106 and still being affected by bad publicity in the wake of the race riots of the '60s. I believe they actually drew 400,000-something. And earlier attendance figures are even more interesting--back in the 30s and 40s 500,000 fans would have qualified as a pretty successful year.

Paulwny
08-01-2001, 03:54 PM
I would guess they expect a certain % of the populace to attend games no matter how good or bad a team is. They probably also feel that poor management decisions should have no affect on attendance, they also feel that they are exempt from the real business world were management decisions affect the bottom line.

Procol Harum
08-01-2001, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
I would guess they expect a certain % of the populace to attend games no matter how good or bad a team is. They probably also feel that poor management decisions should have no affect on attendance, they also feel that they are exempt from the real business world were management decisions affect the bottom line.

Sounds like Reinsdorf and cronies feel like we should act like Cubs fans.

Paulwny
08-01-2001, 04:05 PM
I see the same "crying" here in Buffalo with the Bills and Sabres. The owners telling the fans "It's your team, why don't you support us?" yet, most owners are more concerned about their bottom line then their fans.

PutItOnTheBoard
08-01-2001, 04:16 PM
I see the same "crying" here in Buffalo with the Bills and Sabres

I was under the impression the Bills were always sold out?

Paulwny
08-01-2001, 04:20 PM
Owner loyalty to the average fan: Ralph Wilson, owner of the Bills, threatened to move the team 3 years ago, even though attendance was >70,000/ game . To increase the bottom line and stay "competative" he demanded corporate boxes replace regular seating and the politicians caved. Joe average fan lost seating for corporate revenue. This was followed by a threat to move unless 85% of these boxes were sold. They'll always find something to cry about.