PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question regarding Richar

dwalteroo
08-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Seeing as it's likely we won't be seeing Uribe next year (at least in a WS uniform) why didn't we instead plug Richar into SS and platoon/phase out Uribe, and keep Iguchi? If we had done that, there's a chance we'd get Gooch at a hometown discount next year, if we decided to keep him. If not, all we've lost is Dubee, who seems like a wash either way.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be unloading guys, but if we aren't going to get much back for them, is it worth it? We could have at least gotten another few months out of Gooch, and then reevaluated if we needed to fill that spot. (And if so...Richar could have moved back to 2B).

russ99
08-01-2007, 10:03 AM
Seeing as it's likely we won't be seeing Uribe next year (at least in a WS uniform) why didn't we instead plug Richar into SS and platoon/phase out Uribe, and keep Iguchi? If we had done that, there's a chance we'd get Gooch at a hometown discount next year, if we decided to keep him. If not, all we've lost is Dubee, who seems like a wash either way.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be unloading guys, but if we aren't going to get much back for them, is it worth it? We could have at least gotten another few months out of Gooch, and then reevaluated if we needed to fill that spot. (And if so...Richar could have moved back to 2B).

Same reason why Iguchi was never tried at SS, defense. Richar's pretty decent at 2B, but an error-machine at SS. I also think the Sox moved Iguchi in part because his productin wasn't up to his asking price as a FA.

Something tells me Kenny has something up his sleeve for next year's SS...

voodoochile
08-01-2007, 10:05 AM

Actually, they may save money doing it this way. If they kept him they would have had to offer Gooch at least 80% of his current salary. Now they are free to offer anything because he isn't their "property" anymore.

They couldn't even offer Gooch arbitration.

Of course this now frees the Sox up to make a run at Rodriquez and leave Richar at 2B...

sox1970
08-01-2007, 10:05 AM
Richar will not be in the SS picture at all.

DumpJerry
08-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Andy Gonzalez is a Shortstop. Someone needs to let Ozzie know.

russ99
08-01-2007, 02:18 PM

I have to wonder, given a return to 100% health, if Pablo Ozuna will figure into a starting infield spot next year. I know he can play 2B and 3B, but could he be passable as a SS?

Randar68
08-01-2007, 02:21 PM

Maybe your post should have been in teal, but Andy would make Jose Valentin look like a gold glover on a regular basis. He's never been a steady defensive player at SS, and he certainly isn't going to hit like Jose Valentin to justify the defensive trade-off.

whitesoxfan
08-01-2007, 03:17 PM
I have to wonder, given a return to 100% health, if Pablo Ozuna will figure into a starting infield spot next year. I know he can play 2B and 3B, but could he be passable as a SS?

Oh boy. If Pablo is a starter for us, then we're headed for another 4th or 5th place finish next year.

FielderJones
08-01-2007, 03:27 PM

Passable at SS? We've seen that movie: BB Richard, Alan Bannister.

I don't want passable. I want a SS with great range, accurate arm, that doesn't turn every ball hit on the left side into an adventure. If he hits above .260 that's a bonus.

voodoochile
08-01-2007, 03:41 PM
Passable at SS? We've seen that movie: BB Richard, Alan Bannister.

I don't want passable. I want a SS with great range, accurate arm, that doesn't turn every ball hit on the left side into an adventure. If he hits above .260 that's a bonus.

Sounds like this (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=4657&context=fielding)guy...

Or possibly even this (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=4657)guy...

ArkanSox
08-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Wow, ddoouubblleevviissiioonn...
and I haven't even started drinking yet. :cool: