PDA

View Full Version : Post-Deadline Shopping List

the1tab
08-01-2007, 01:25 AM
The following is a list of players that might look good in a Sox uniform come 2008 that will be available on the free agent market this coming winter:

OF:
Andruw Jones
Eric Brynes
Aaron Rowand
Mike Cameron
Torii Hunter
Corey Patterson
Brad Wilkerson
Bob Abreu
Adam Dunn
Reggie Sanders
Moises Alou
Shannon Stewart
Geoff Jenkins
Jose Guillen

INF:
David Eckstein
Mark Loretta
Mark Grudzielanek
Luis Castillo
Todd Walker
Pedro Feliz

SP:
Paul Byrd
Tom Glavine
Jn Lieber

RP:
Bob Wickman
Joe Borowski
Todd Jones
Octavio Dotel
Scott Linebrink

the1tab
08-01-2007, 01:26 AM
If Dye doesn't get an extension, I wouldn't be against the Sox revisiting Mike Cameron in the OF, either. Also, Lieber might be a good #4 that doesn't cost a ton and could eat up a lot of quality innings.

AJ Hellraiser
08-01-2007, 01:45 AM
I highly doubt KW will spend money on starting pitchers...

3 slots are set... Buehrle, Denks and either Garland or Vaz.. if he can't move Contreras that makes 4 unless he goes to the bullpen.... out of Gio, Egbert, Russell, Floyd, Masset and Haeger... 1 or 2 of them are going to get the other spot(s)

We know he'll probably look to add 1 or 2 bullpen arms... Jenks, Thornton, Logan, Wassermann are set... does he keep MacDougal? If not, then 2 arms... I'd personally like Linebrink

The positions are difficult to figure out.... What if he gets no OF's and goes with Sweeney, Owens and Dye? Could he spend money on a big name SS? Maybe trade Thome, move Dye to DH and sign one of the OF's...

I've never been more confused by the holes on the Sox... I don't envy KW right now!

esbrechtel
08-01-2007, 02:04 AM
I wouldnt mind a Sweeny, Owens and Dye OF...However, if Richar is playing 2B and Fields is at 3B we NEED a veteran SS. I dont mind having a bunch of kids play BUT you have to have some vet presence on the club....And in a perfect world I would prefer Owens to play LF, Hes a decent CFer but I feel LF would suit him better, and sign Cameron, Rowand, or Hunter to play CF and deal Sweeny for some more AA pitchers :redneck

Domeshot17
08-01-2007, 02:21 AM
Ive got this feeling

1 Owens LF
2 Vizquel SS (1 year deal)
3 Thome DH
4 Konerko 1b
5 Dye RF (2 year deal with mutual option in year 3) (OR Owens RF Fields LF)
6 Fields 3b (Or Crede 3b)
7 AJ C
8 Rowand CF (not because hes the best but because he comes home cheap)
9 Richar 2b

1 Burls
2 Garland
3 Javy
4 Danks
5 Broadway

Bullpen of Jenks Macdougal Thorton Wasserman Contreras (if we can't trade him) Dotel and Logan (I think Logan stars to come around next year)

Bench of Pods (4th OF) Ozuna Cintron Hall (who sees time at first)

I don't know what exactly happens with Crede/Fields, but thats just how mine plays out.

WSox597
08-01-2007, 07:30 AM
Bench of Pods (4th OF) Ozuna Cintron Hall (who sees time at first)

I can't quarrel with this, except for Cintron. He doesn't seem to do anything well enough to be a major league player. Perhaps as he gets more playing time, he'll improve some.

But so far, he hasn't shown much of anything. Especially hitting, he's brutal out there.

I'd venture to say they couldn't have traded him to anybody before the deadline, that's why Mackowiak went to San Diego instead of Cintron.

I don't hate the guy or anything, he just seems lost out there most of the time.

Rockabilly
08-01-2007, 07:48 AM
I would love to see Fukudome on the Sox next year

Tragg
08-01-2007, 10:48 AM
SS and CF are immense needs for this team. Good fielding SS aren't hard to find - that will do for now. A CF is a different story and it would be nice to use some bullets to get a good young CF.
The rest of the OF can be filled with Owens, Sweeney, Fields and Dye....that's part of the bench, too.

We don't need to trade for pitching; use the young pltchers we have. Gio, Egbert, Santos are all studs. We also have other AAA pitchers who may be okay.
And please don't trade for more mediocre veterans for the bullpen.

the1tab
08-01-2007, 11:40 AM
Ive got this feeling

1 Owens LF
2 Vizquel SS (1 year deal)
3 Thome DH
4 Konerko 1b
5 Dye RF (2 year deal with mutual option in year 3) (OR Owens RF Fields LF)
6 Fields 3b (Or Crede 3b)
7 AJ C
8 Rowand CF (not because hes the best but because he comes home cheap)
9 Richar 2b

Lord help us if we give VIzquel a deal to play SS. We have plenty of marketable pieces that either need to be moved or are leaving on their own. I do like the idea of perhaps trading Thome to open up the DH position. What about Crede? Fields has been doing pretty well at third. I think if we bring back Rowand, we need to make a deal for another middle of the lineup guy. I like Dye as much as anyone, but that doesn't change the fact that he's not 25 years old any more and a 3 year deal begs the question "How and When does Sweeney get onto the field?"

I would like to see Mike Cameron AND Aaron Rowand back on the Sox, one in CF and one in LF. I think we could swing Podsednik, Crede and Thome and make some major developments in the bullpen and infield happen.

I think we could get Cameron and Rowand for cheap(er) if KW goes after them hard and early in the offseason, before the market stalls waiting for Hunter and Andruw. As much as I hated the Cubs throwing money around last year, what Hendry did should be the model for KW this year: identify the 3-5 players you want, and get them early at a good price.

I would still like to know what Baltimore wants for Miguel Tejada. I think they would take Thome or Crede and a couple prospects, in which case do it yesterday.

esbrechtel
08-01-2007, 12:12 PM
If we get rid of Thome whose our DH? I personally like having a DH that scares the crap out of the opposing pitchers...not someone like Carl Everett

VenturaFan23
08-01-2007, 12:24 PM
I would love to see Fukudome on the Sox next year

Watch your mouth! :redneck

tm1119
08-01-2007, 02:59 PM
I highly doubt KW will spend money on starting pitchers...

3 slots are set... Buehrle, Denks and either Garland or Vaz.. if he can't move Contreras that makes 4 unless he goes to the bullpen.... out of Gio, Egbert, Russell, Floyd, Masset and Haeger... 1 or 2 of them are going to get the other spot(s)

We know he'll probably look to add 1 or 2 bullpen arms... Jenks, Thornton, Logan, Wassermann are set... does he keep MacDougal? If not, then 2 arms... I'd personally like Linebrink

The positions are difficult to figure out.... What if he gets no OF's and goes with Sweeney, Owens and Dye? Could he spend money on a big name SS? Maybe trade Thome, move Dye to DH and sign one of the OF's...

I've never been more confused by the holes on the Sox... I don't envy KW right now!

Why does is have to be Garland OR Vazquez? Javy is locked up for a while and Garland still has 1 more year left on his deal. Unless there is an overwhelming trade offer for him we might as keep him for the last year and try to resign him. So thats 4 spots that are filled in the rotation. With 5 or 6 guys competing for that #5 spot.

And I really dont see there being much of a market for Crede because of the injury so id love to see him come back for cheap. Then move Fields to the OF, cause his D at 3rd really isnt good enough anyway. That would give us Fields and either Pods or Owens in the coner OF positions. CF is where we need to spend the big bucks and either get Jones or Hunter. But I can see SS is going to be a problem for us again next year. None of those FA's are worth signing, but i really dont want to see Uribe back next year. Hopefully KW can pull off some sort of trade for a SS.

SaltyPretzel
08-01-2007, 03:27 PM
If we get rid of Thome whose our DH? I personally like having a DH that scares the crap out of the opposing pitchers...not someone like Carl Everett

I'd sacrifice power at the DH position for more contact and speed.

Domeshot17
08-01-2007, 03:33 PM
Thats why you give Dye a 2 year deal with an option year. If he is sucking, we dont pick up the option. If he is still producing in 2009, he can be moved to LF or DH.

The one blockbuster trade that I will play playstation gm on could be something like this. Forget Tejada, it won't happen, and he is not that great anymore. You want to talk drop off, the guy almost entirely lost his power stroke. But Garland and Crede to the Angels for Santana Aybar Figgins and Shields could be a possibility. That would all depend on Joes back. Another possibility with is about 10% IMHO is Uncle Jerry opening up the pocketbook and throwing a 6 year 140-150 million dollar deal at Arod. I know people are going to puke at the numbers, but if you want Arod, thats probably the starting price tag. Then you have to consider we don't deal with Boras.

The more realistic Angels deal makes us lose our number 2 sp, but picks up a potential replacement in Santana who could be a Coop guy (and dont think for one second Santana losing one of the best pitching coaches in the game, Bud Black, didnt have a lot to do with this years struggles), Aybar moves to short, Figgins to any OF spot and leads off, and Shields to set up. Its a big gamble, but we fill 3 holes with 1 guy and replace him with this deal.