PDA

View Full Version : Who's getting called up?

JermaineDye05
07-31-2007, 04:52 PM
Now that Mack his gone the Sox roster is at 24, who will be getting called up to fill in that spot? Erstad? MacDougal? Sisco? Sweeney?

rdivaldi
07-31-2007, 04:53 PM
Now that Mack his gone the Sox roster is at 24, who will be getting called up to fill in that spot? Erstad? MacDougal? Sisco? Sweeney?

Haven't they already announced that it's Erstad?

Mickster
07-31-2007, 04:53 PM

Offman just reported that Erstad will be coming to NY in his last update.

California Sox
07-31-2007, 04:55 PM
He's ready. He's hitting over .100.

JermaineDye05
07-31-2007, 04:55 PM

I didn't hear the announcement, I was just curious if anyone knew.

Domeshot17
07-31-2007, 05:12 PM
Erstads here. They figure By the time he shows up, gets dressed, plays 2 innings and hurts his ankle again Macdougal should be about ready for the call up.

I hate this by the way. If we are going to just tread water the rest of the year, do it with the Sweeneys and Owens and Andersons and Richars. I would rather see what they have for 3 months and avoid another Brian Anderson experiment when it really matters. Let the kids compete for a job instead of allowing Erstad to try and keep one. If Ozzie thinks Pods is unreliable, Erstad has to be in the doghouse even more.

07-31-2007, 05:14 PM
Erstads here. They figure By the time he shows up, gets dressed, plays 2 innings and hurts his ankle again Macdougal should be about ready for the call up.

I hate this by the way. If we are going to just tread water the rest of the year, do it with the Sweeneys and Owens and Andersons and Richars. I would rather see what they have for 3 months and avoid another Brian Anderson experiment when it really matters. Let the kids compete for a job instead of allowing Erstad to try and keep one. If Ozzie thinks Pods is unreliable, Erstad has to be in the doghouse even more.

Erstad, Pods and even Contreras (hopefully) would be good candidates for a waiver wire trade. I agree, we need to see what we have internally for 2008 as soon as possible.

oeo
07-31-2007, 05:15 PM

OMG...just dump him. He looks awful in AAA; now he's going to take time away from Owens (and Sweeney for that matter)...:whiner:

INSox56
07-31-2007, 05:19 PM
Ja got the email Re: the Erstad callup. If he ends up starting more than once, maybe twice a week in the same position, I'm going to probably break my tv.

upperdeckusc
07-31-2007, 05:23 PM
OMG...just dump him. He looks awful in AAA; now he's going to take time away from Owens (and Sweeney for that matter)...:whiner:

ozzie got a hard-on when he found out erstad could walk without any serious pain. apparently it doesnt matter he's batting .100 in AAA. i agree we should be seeing the kids play and not these aging veterans.....that serves absolutely no purpose. he's a 4-5th OF/backup 1B at best. but why oh why do i feel that he'll be our leadoff hitter/#2 hitter very shortly :whiner:

ND_Sox_Fan
07-31-2007, 05:25 PM
Ja got the email Re: the Erstad callup. If he ends up starting more than once, maybe twice a week in the same position, I'm going to probably break my tv.

The worst part is that he is taking a roster spot away from someone. The other issue, though, is that the Sox probably do not want to bring up a guy like Sweeney to get limited PT.

JermaineDye05
07-31-2007, 05:27 PM
ozzie got a hard-on when he found out erstad could walk without any serious pain. apparently it doesnt matter he's batting .100 in AAA. i agree we should be seeing the kids play and not these aging veterans.....that serves absolutely no purpose. he's a 4-5th OF/backup 1B at best. but why oh why do i feel that he'll be our leadoff hitter/#2 hitter very shortly :whiner:

Perhaps because he was one of our top hitters and basestealers before he went on the DL.

Gotta love our fans faith in our own players.

Patrick134
07-31-2007, 05:34 PM
Perhaps because he was one of our top hitters and basestealers before he went on the DL.

Don't bring common sense into a whine-fest thread. :D:

Frater Perdurabo
07-31-2007, 05:37 PM
It doesn't matter if Erstad was hitting .150 in Charlotte.

By Ozzie's math, if Erstad hits .200, it's like any other player hitting .400.

So, just add .200 to whatever Erstad's "official" batting average is, and then you'll het his "real" batting average!

The Sox are promoting a .350 hitter by calling up Erstad!
:rolleyes:

voodoochile
07-31-2007, 05:41 PM

I think the goal is to try and slip both Pods and Erstad through the waiver wire and see what they will bring. Even if it's only another low end prospect the Sox might save some money and be rid of them for next year.

I like Pods, I just don't think his body can handle the 70 SB/year he needs to generate to be a part of the team anymore.

kjhanson
07-31-2007, 05:44 PM
I think this has more to do with, as someone pointed out, Erstad being a viable option for a waiver wire deal. The Sox would probably rather showcase him, hope they catch lightning in a bottle (ok, I know, it will need to be a very big bottle), and hope another team bites.

Domeshot17
07-31-2007, 05:49 PM
I think the goal is to try and slip both Pods and Erstad through the waiver wire and see what they will bring. Even if it's only another low end prospect the Sox might save some money and be rid of them for next year.

I like Pods, I just don't think his body can handle the 70 SB/year he needs to generate to be a part of the team anymore.

Yah I agree, I could see the Waiver Wire being our friend this year, especially if someone tries to block Contreras and we let the claimer take all of his salary. I could see Pods back next year on another 1 year deal if he was willing to be the 4th OF. I would have no problem giving him 3-4 games a week in the OF hitting 1-2-9 and spelling the other guys. Ultimately hes a better 4th OF then a guy like Terrero. Just Frusterating that we keep running these guys out there instead of going with the kids. Even if they come up here and suck for 2 months it will still show us what we have for next year.

HawkDJ
07-31-2007, 06:00 PM
ozzie got a hard-on when he found out erstad could walk without any serious pain. apparently it doesnt matter he's batting .100 in AAA.

Yes, BUT how many of those hits did he grind out?

voodoochile
07-31-2007, 06:02 PM
Yah I agree, I could see the Waiver Wire being our friend this year, especially if someone tries to block Contreras and we let the claimer take all of his salary. I could see Pods back next year on another 1 year deal if he was willing to be the 4th OF. I would have no problem giving him 3-4 games a week in the OF hitting 1-2-9 and spelling the other guys. Ultimately hes a better 4th OF then a guy like Terrero. Just Frusterating that we keep running these guys out there instead of going with the kids. Even if they come up here and suck for 2 months it will still show us what we have for next year.

Erstad is exactly the type of player a lot of playoff contenders would take a flyer on if he were healthy because he would be a nice addition to the bench allowing some flexibility in the playoffs and bringing potentialy a nice bat to use as a pinch hitter. Add in the fact that he is a veteran who doesn't have to be told how to prepare for the next game and someone will probably take him off the Sox hands even if it doesn't bring much.

JB98
07-31-2007, 06:13 PM
I think this has more to do with, as someone pointed out, Erstad being a viable option for a waiver wire deal. The Sox would probably rather showcase him, hope they catch lightning in a bottle (ok, I know, it will need to be a very big bottle), and hope another team bites.

That's the strategy. Hopefully, he proves he's healthy, and the Sox can find a taker in a waiver deal. The same strategy is probably being employed with Pods right now. I have to think the Sox would like to take a longer look at Sweeney before the year is over.

oeo
07-31-2007, 06:17 PM

These are organizational decisions, not just Ozzie's. Hopefully he takes on Mackowiak's role of backup outfielder/first baseman. I think Ozzie is pretty happy with the way Owens is playing (although not anything special, it's still better to watch him than Erstad), so I think he'll play. Sweeney is the real loser, though.

upperdeckusc
07-31-2007, 06:25 PM

being a top hitter on this team a month-2months ago from today isn't something to brag about. what was that, like .265? again, top basestealers? thats like saying he was the tallest midget. our hitters our hot, owens has been playing very good D, covering good ground, and stealing bases. i dont want to see him starting once a wk cuz erstad is back. i'd rather see sweeney in CF, owens in LF, and erstad's PT can come from giving them as well as dye/konerko the occasional day off. its time to find out if sweeney has what it takes, especially if we sign dye to a 2 yr - ish contract.

upperdeckusc
07-31-2007, 06:27 PM
These are organizational decisions, not just Ozzie's. Hopefully he takes on Mackowiak's role of backup outfielder/first baseman. I think Ozzie is pretty happy with the way Owens is playing (although not anything special, it's still better to watch him than Erstad), so I think he'll play. Sweeney is the real loser, though.

my point exactly. thats what he is and thats all he should be. but i guarantee that wont be the case if OZZIE has anything to say about it. that's the only thing i've been critical about with ozzie this yr, was his use of erstad and putting him in the starting CF role when anderson outperformed him in spring training, when the position was supposedly "up for grabs."

JB98
07-31-2007, 06:37 PM
my point exactly. thats what he is and thats all he should be. but i guarantee that wont be the case if OZZIE has anything to say about it. that's the only thing i've been critical about with ozzie this yr, was his use of erstad and putting him in the starting CF role when anderson outperformed him in spring training, when the position was supposedly "up for grabs."

They said the position was "up for grabs" just to motivate Anderson. It was Erstad's to lose, and he did nothing to lose it until he got injured.

Tragg
07-31-2007, 09:57 PM
Contreras would be a great candidate for a waiver deal (provided he starts pitching well). No one's going to claim him and his salary; so he'll clear and if pitches okay we can work something out probably fo a 1/2 a salary dump and the obligatory A ball pitcher. But 1/2 a salary dump would be great.

On the other hand, why would Pods or Erstad be good candidates for waiver? Just because it's later in the year? Even if someone actually wanted one of them, what would we get and what would we save?

I think Guillen has a lot of influence on personnel.
When did this team trade for all of the slap hitters? When Ozzie got here. (and it worked beautifully for a year).
Where's Tracey?
Anderson didn't just backup Erstad...he was sent down.
Who's choice was it to axe Harris but trade for Cintron?

JB98
07-31-2007, 10:11 PM
Contreras would be a great candidate for a waiver deal (provided he starts pitching well). No one's going to claim him and his salary; so he'll clear and if pitches okay we can work something out probably fo a 1/2 a salary dump and the obligatory A ball pitcher. But 1/2 a salary dump would be great.

On the other hand, why would Pods or Erstad be good candidates for waiver? Just because it's later in the year? Even if someone actually wanted one of them, what would we get and what would we save?

I think Guillen has a lot of influence on personnel.
When did this team trade for all of the slap hitters? When Ozzie got here. (and it worked beautifully for a year).
Where's Tracey?
Anderson didn't just backup Erstad...he was sent down.
Who's choice was it to axe Harris but trade for Cintron?

Cintron had a good year for us last year. Granted, this year, he's damaged goods and he sucks.

Harris contributed one key base hit in his entire tenure with the Sox. Thanks for that memory, Willie, but I sure didn't want him back after '05.

MCHSoxFan
07-31-2007, 10:44 PM

Erstad.

santo=dorf
07-31-2007, 11:05 PM

He was still an awful hitter.

That gives him no excuse to post an OPS .003 higher than Brian Anderson's rookie campaign which apparently was so awful, half of WSI decided to write him off for good.

He's washed up. Trade him for anything. Maybe we can get a 25 year old single A pitcher this time around.