PDA

View Full Version : Rob Mackowiak Appreciation Thread

thomas35forever
07-31-2007, 02:58 PM
Good luck in SD, Rob. Happy you fulfilled your dream by playing for your team.

cleanwsox
07-31-2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks for 05 Rob! Oh wait....

:?:

stl_sox_fan
07-31-2007, 03:00 PM
Wonder how many posts this thread is going to get?

hose
07-31-2007, 03:02 PM
Good luck with the Pads

jabrch
07-31-2007, 03:04 PM
While he was a whipping post here, Rob was a very good bench player, as long as he isn't asked to play CF too much. Rob hits well, plays OK D in the corners, and can back up the IF. A team in contention can use a guy like Mack.

BeviBall!
07-31-2007, 03:04 PM
Good luck to a guy whose played out of position from the moment we got him. The undeserving goat for 2006.

He didn't stand out this year either... but who has?

salty99
07-31-2007, 03:05 PM
I will miss his bat. He was a very servicable bench player, just keep him out of center.

esbrechtel
07-31-2007, 03:06 PM
I for one will not forget his pinch hit homerun to tie it in 2006 against the A's on Thomas' return....

JermaineDye05
07-31-2007, 03:07 PM
I will miss his bat. He was a very servicable bench player, just keep him out of center.

I will miss his baserunning, very smart player on the basepaths. I remember many times in 06 when he beat out what looked to be a routine dp.

getonbckthr
07-31-2007, 03:07 PM
The only thing I appreciate you for is being the guy we traded Marte for otherwise ehh.

cheezheadsoxfan
07-31-2007, 03:10 PM
Hope he does well in SD. Ozzie put him in an unfortunate position.

downstairs
07-31-2007, 03:11 PM
Does EVERYBODY need an appreciation thread?

Nellie_Fox
07-31-2007, 03:12 PM
Does EVERYBODY need an appreciation thread?Apparently. Consider the bright side: at least YOU don't have to read them all.:(:

Palehose Pete
07-31-2007, 03:13 PM
Good luck in San Diego, Rob. Say "Hi" to Geoff Blum for us.

cbotnyse
07-31-2007, 03:14 PM
Does EVERYBODY need an appreciation thread?something wrong with them?

Cat Thief
He is from Oak Lawn.

I'm sad.

Marqhead
I for one will not forget his pinch hit homerun to tie it in 2006 against the A's on Thomas' return....

I was at that game, quite awesome. And the squeeze by Pablo in the bottom of the ninth for the win.

jenn2080
07-31-2007, 03:20 PM

something wrong with them?

not really, but we arent talking about someone spectacular or anything.

jshanahanjr
07-31-2007, 03:21 PM
Good Luck Rob! You played hard for the Sox and did what Ozzie asked you to do.

cbotnyse
07-31-2007, 03:22 PM
not really, but we arent talking about someone spectacular or anything.He was no Ross Gload or anything but still deserves a little appreciation. :cool:

oeo
07-31-2007, 03:22 PM
not really, but we arent talking about someone spectacular or anything.

Kind of like Ross Gload? :rolleyes:

At least Mackowiak > Gload.

getonbckthr
07-31-2007, 03:26 PM
Kind of like Ross Gload? :rolleyes:

At least Mackowiak > Gload.
I was definately not a Gload fan but the guy did play solid defense, well he knew how to catch and judge flyballs at least.

oeo
07-31-2007, 03:27 PM
I was definately not a Gload fan but the guy did play solid defense, well he knew how to catch and judge flyballs at least.

Are you kidding me? Ross Gload could play one position well: 1B. He was a terrible outfielder.

Jerko
07-31-2007, 03:27 PM
Look at the team we could still have. Gload, Harris, Timo, Mack, Rowand, Lee, Maggs, Durham, Valentin, Clayton, Thomas, Colon, Embree, Olivo, McCarthy, Blum, Iguchi, Bradford, Marte, El Duque, K Wells, D Wells, Fogg, Hernandez, Howry, White, Gordon, Lofton.

getonbckthr
07-31-2007, 03:29 PM
Are you kidding me? Ross Gload could play one position well: 1B. He was a terrible outfielder.
Compared to Mackowiak Gload was a gold glover.

oeo
07-31-2007, 03:30 PM
Compared to Mackowiak Gload was a gold glover.

I'm sorry, but you couldn't be any more incorrect. Compared to Gload, Mackowiak was a Gold Glover. You must have missed Gload in the outfield. That's a big reason why he played mostly 1B when he played last year, because he was so bad out there.

getonbckthr
07-31-2007, 03:32 PM
I'm sorry, but you couldn't be any more incorrect. Compared to Gload, Mackowiak was a Gold Glover. You must have missed Gload in the outfield. That's a big reason why he played mostly 1B when he played last year, because he was so bad out there.
Can we agree that the local kid in the park district is a better fielding outfielder than both?:D:

jenn2080
I thought this was a Rob Mack appreciation thread not a Ross Gload hate thread?

jabrch

Your WHAT hurts?

Gload was a butcher in the OF - way worse than Mack in either corner.

jabrch
07-31-2007, 03:33 PM
Can we agree that the local kid in the park district is a better fielding outfielder than both?:D:

Not really - as long as Mack wasn't in CF he wasn't terrible.

oeo
07-31-2007, 03:33 PM
I thought this was a Rob Mack appreciation thread not a Ross Gload hate thread?

I thought it was too, until people like yourself came in whining.

jenn2080
07-31-2007, 03:34 PM
I thought it was too, until people like yourself came in whining.

Who was whining? I stated a point. No need to be a jerk.

NoNeckEra
07-31-2007, 03:34 PM
Look at the team we could still have. Gload, Harris, Timo, Mack, Rowand, Lee, Maggs, Durham, Valentin, Clayton, Thomas, Colon, Embree, Olivo, McCarthy, Blum, Iguchi, Bradford, Marte, El Duque, K Wells, D Wells, Fogg, Hernandez, Howry, White, Gordon, Lofton.

Would that be Chad or Buddy?

oeo
07-31-2007, 03:37 PM
Who was whining? I stated a point. No need to be a jerk.

You and I both know the reason you came in here. I know you hate Rob Mackowiak with a passion. And if someone else wouldn't have mentioned the 'appreciation thread for everyone,' you would have been the first to do so.

Jerko
07-31-2007, 03:44 PM
Would that be Chad or Buddy?

I only used active players, so Chad. Otherwise I would have also included the Alomars, Everett, etc. Hey I forgot SAMMY!!!!!!!!! :o:

southside rocks
07-31-2007, 03:46 PM
Farewell, Mack, I hope San Diego is a good place for you! You had a great attitude and I like it that a southside boy got to play for the Sox for a while. :tongue:

Chicken Dinner
07-31-2007, 03:52 PM

No, but it appears some people think so.

jenn2080
07-31-2007, 03:55 PM
No, but it appears some people think so.

Why did you bother coming here to hate?

itsnotrequired
07-31-2007, 03:56 PM

A steady diet of hate keeps hair smooth, silky and manageable.

Chicken Dinner
07-31-2007, 03:59 PM

Who's hating. I just think all these appreciation threads are stupid. The guy hasn't even checked out of his New York city hotel room with the White Sox and he's got an appreciation thread going. I guess people just like to start threads.

cbotnyse
07-31-2007, 04:08 PM
I appreciate apprecation threads. :bandance:

07-31-2007, 04:25 PM
I have never read a player actually say they were dissapointed after a trade...he loved being here...

"I'm extremely disappointed," Mackowiak said before the White Sox played the Yankees in New York. "It hurts to go from the team you grew up watching and idolized as a kid."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2956001

Frater Perdurabo
07-31-2007, 04:38 PM
I have never read a player actually say they were dissapointed after a trade...he loved being here...

"I'm extremely disappointed," Mackowiak said before the White Sox played the Yankees in New York. "It hurts to go from the team you grew up watching and idolized as a kid."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2956001

It's really too bad that he was wasted last year in center field. EDIT: I'm not implying that he was "wasted" while playing. :smokin: :redface: :tongue: Rather, I wish the Sox could have gotten him ABs while playing another position while Anderson or another CF provided defense that Rob just could not provide in CF.

This year he showed that he's a valuable fourth OF/backup corner IF against RHP.

I remain convinced that a Mack/Ozuna platoon would have been just fine in left field next season (provided that the Sox could have found a CF, SS or RF who could lead off).

JermaineDye05
07-31-2007, 04:49 PM
Hopefully Rob can help the Pads, good luck to him and hopefully Kenny could re-sign him as he is a very valuable bench guy.

Chicken Dinner
07-31-2007, 04:56 PM
Hopefully Rob can help the Pads, good luck to him and hopefully Kenny could re-sign him as he is a very valuable bench guy.

He's got a club option so SD will get the 1st shot.

07-31-2007, 04:57 PM
How would you like this to be the White Sox during a pennant run?

Re: Padres acquire Ensberg, Mackowiak

Give us your casts off, your designated your assignment, your just released we will give them renew hope and a spot start. An opportunity to excel or flop. Our sunny weather will warm their hearts and cool breezes will cool their hot heads. Mid season tryouts when we are in a pennant race are our thing. We will give you a chance because we buy very low and sell high. Come Hillenbrand, Bradley, Barrett, Ensberg, Hairston, Mackowiak answer the call. Randa, Walker, Castilla, Branyan still been nice knowing you all.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=315#S=315&F=2098&T=778202

MDF3530
07-31-2007, 05:02 PM
I'm going to miss his hard hit ground balls to the other team's second baseman.

FielderJones
07-31-2007, 05:29 PM
I appreciated Rob's base running; he always had a knack for taking an extra base, and I can't remember the last time I saw him thrown out on the base paths.

I think some here have misplaced hate for him. The guy is a bench role player, he has accepted that role in his career, and circumstances put him into starting too many games during his White Sox tenure. He's not a center fielder, and he should not start five games a week.

I feel for the guy, because he grew up a White Sox fan and got the ultimate fan's dream: the opportunity to play for the team you loved as a kid.

Mrs. FielderJones is gonna be pissed when she finds out. She had "Bobby" on her sixth grade track team at Dearborn Heights School (now Kolb) in Oak Lawn.

Lukin13
07-31-2007, 05:53 PM
Nice knowing you Rob....

You are the perfect utility outfielder...

Too bad our fearless leader decided to play you in CF everyday and in turn raise or team ERA a half a point and cost us back to back WS titles.

Frontman
07-31-2007, 05:57 PM
I'll miss Rob, as he was a grinde.....*gets a bag pulled over his head, and a voice whispers*

"Don't go there."

:wink:

joepoe
07-31-2007, 06:44 PM
Nice knowing you Rob....

You are the perfect utility outfielder...

Too bad our fearless leader decided to play you in CF everyday and in turn raise or team ERA a half a point and cost us back to back WS titles.

Dearest Rob: I will never forget the last error I ever saw you make in the OF last Tuesday. *sigh*

DachnoPiitu
08-01-2007, 04:46 PM
Rob, I will never forget 5/22/6. After a standing ovation for the return of the Big Hurt and two Thomas HRs, in the bottom of the 8th with 2 outs, you pinch-hit and hit your first Sox HR and tied up the game. The game ended in the bottom of the tenth with a much anticipated Osuna bunt single to score Pierzynski from third and win the game.

kiddeft
08-01-2007, 05:56 PM
There are people who are putting Mackowiak down but not me. I think Rob was an outstanding player with a lot of potential. I think he was an up and coming star. It took him a little while to get going but now, I think he was consistently hitting and fielding well. He's versatile, being able to play many positions, and young. He could have been a favorite for years to come. And to top it off, he's a Chicago native with a extra pride for his all time favorite team. What a shame that he's gone. I was angry when I heard the news.

Look, all I'm saying is that I wish Kenny as Oz would have consulted me before making the deal.

I think Uribe should be the next to go. He's a decent shortstop but not a great shortstop. His batting is so-so and I think the Sox can get someone better in return.

Seems like the team is putting all their money on pitching lately and not the hitting.

WhiteSoxJunkie
08-01-2007, 06:07 PM
At the 05 trading deadline, the Padres sent a utility outfielder to the Sox for a minor league pitcher.

At the 07 trading deadline, the Sox sent a utility outfielder to the Padres for a minor league pitcher.

BadBobbyJenks
08-01-2007, 06:08 PM

Yea thats about it for me too though. The memories of balls landing all over centerfield as he patroled like a lost dog will stick out a little bit more. Wish we were a good team playing this guy in his normal position....things would have been different