PDA

View Full Version : Kris Honel QUIT

diamondkings29
07-31-2007, 01:46 PM
Last night Kris Honel quit in Birmingham and said he was done. Anyone have more information on this at this time?

Dan the Man
07-31-2007, 01:47 PM
Damn. Must have been some serious build-up. He went to Providence HS here in New Lenox.

chaerulez
07-31-2007, 01:50 PM
Maybe he just realized he wasn't getting a big league shot anytime soon. He drafted in what, 2000? 2001? And he's in AA with a 5+ ERA?

soxinem1
07-31-2007, 02:15 PM
Yet another 'great' pick of failure.......

Maybe Honel, Ruffcorn, and Tom Fordham can get together and open up a feed store or hot dog stand.

Honestly, I thought he disappeared a few years ago already.

diamondkings29
07-31-2007, 02:26 PM
Actually the correct statement is that he retired.

Bear-Sox
07-31-2007, 02:30 PM
not really surprising. He probably had no stuff left after the surgeries.

He looked like he would be on the fast track to the majors before the injuries started to occur.

Oh well.

Foulke You
07-31-2007, 02:43 PM
It just shows how the MLB Draft is much more of a crapshoot than other leagues. For every Jon Garland or Mark Buehrle, there is a Kris Honel or Scott Ruffcorn.

Law11
07-31-2007, 02:49 PM

Maybe Honel, Ruffcorn, and Tom Fordham can get together and open up a feed store or hot dog stand.

Scott Ruffcorn.. Now theres a name..
Wasnt there another top guy from that era that amounted to nada

Foulke You
07-31-2007, 02:57 PM
Scott Ruffcorn.. Now theres a name..
Wasnt there another top guy from that era that amounted to nada
Trevor Ruffin and Rodney Bolton are names that come to mind.

rdivaldi
07-31-2007, 03:23 PM
In Honel's defense, injuries played a major role in this. Ruffcorn was just no good.

getonbckthr
07-31-2007, 03:42 PM

ChiSoxGirl
07-31-2007, 03:49 PM
Maybe he just realized he wasn't getting a big league shot anytime soon. He drafted in what, 2000? 2001? And he's in AA with a 5+ ERA?

He was drafted in 2001, IIRC. I had my picture taken with him at SoxFest '02 and he was a highly-touted prospect then.

I remember him being like a foot taller than I am. I was barely in the picture at all! :redface: :tongue:

Irishsox1
07-31-2007, 03:53 PM
This guy is just another in a long line of pitchers that didn't pan out which is why baseball has such a huge draft and massive minor league system.

I hope he saved his signing bonus and heads off to college.

Britt Burns
07-31-2007, 05:17 PM

I believe his name was Bruce Ruffin...at least we got Belcher for a few months for him (there was someone else in that trade...can't recall who offhand).

Larry Thomas and Luis(?) Andujar are two others...

MDF3530
07-31-2007, 05:23 PM
He's just now realizing he sucks?

I could've told him that four years ago.

StillMissOzzie
07-31-2007, 05:37 PM

I believe his name was Bruce Ruffin...at least we got Belcher for a few months for him (there was someone else in that trade...can't recall who offhand).

You're both wrong, it was Johnny Ruffin.
Per baseball-reference.com, he had a craptacular career...several cases of getting signed and released mere months afterward...5 times from 1999-2001.

And it was the immortal Jeff Pierce, again per baseball-reference.com, who went with Ruffin to the Reds for Tim Belcher for the 1993 stretch drive.

SMO
:cool:

Clembasbal
07-31-2007, 07:01 PM
Honel, we (St.Rita) beat him. Now Pigmentello, we lost to him...he was good and I remember him beating us when he was a sophomore or something.

Lorenzo Barcelo
07-31-2007, 07:35 PM
Wasn't there a Johnny Ruffin? Or was he traded to the Reds or something?

Edit: Nevermind already answered.

munchman33
07-31-2007, 07:45 PM

That really isn't fair. Honel had the stuff. Best curveball out of that draft. Injuries just ruined his career.

eastchicagosoxfan
07-31-2007, 07:53 PM
It just shows how the MLB Draft is much more of a crapshoot than other leagues. For every Jon Garland or Mark Buehrle, there is a Kris Honel or Scott Ruffcorn.
More accurately, for every Mark Buehrle or Jon Garland, there are dozens of Kris Honels. Quite frankly, most guys never make it. The run the Sox had with McDowell, Ventura, Thomas and Fernandez, in conecutive years, is simply amazing. So Kris Honel hung it up....I wish him the best. He's probably not even 25. The have probably drafted 150 pitchers between Honel and 2007. So has every other team.

Lukin13
07-31-2007, 09:12 PM
Honel was a cheap and safe (wasn't going to school) 1st round pick if I remember correctly.

I hope JR got something nice with that extra change he saved.

California Sox
07-31-2007, 09:27 PM
Honel was a cheap and safe (wasn't going to school) 1st round pick if I remember correctly.

I hope JR got something nice with that extra change he saved.

That's not true. He was a market-value player expected to go a few picks higher in the draft. It didn't work out, but your comment is not fair.

Lukin13
07-31-2007, 09:37 PM
That's not true. He was a market-value player expected to go a few picks higher in the draft. It didn't work out, but your comment is not fair.

are you sure???

I really remember reading that while Honel wasn't a top 10 pitching prospect that he was local and he did agree to a predraft offer....

Lip Man 1
07-31-2007, 10:04 PM
Baseball America conducted a study a few years ago that concluded that out of all the players in the minor leagues only 1% ever get to the major leagues. And of those who do, only a very small percentage ever stick around long enough to make any type of impact.

Lip

goldglovesox
07-31-2007, 10:49 PM
Honel, we (St.Rita) beat him. Now Pigmentello, we lost to him...he was good and I remember him beating us when he was a sophomore or something.

What year did you beat him? 2000? That was our first loss after we slaughtered you a week earlier. :) Just kidding. Honel lost our first game against you that year when we were #2 in the nation and Pignatiello threw a no hitter that game we beat you that year.

alohafri
07-31-2007, 10:58 PM

Working for David Clyde at a gas station. ;)

Fungo
08-01-2007, 12:15 AM
Baseball America conducted a study a few years ago that concluded that out of all the players in the minor leagues only 1% ever get to the major leagues. And of those who do, only a very small percentage ever stick around long enough to make any type of impact.

Lip
Lip:

I spoke to Jim Callis about this years ago and it's closer to 10%. 1 % is much too low.

Nellie_Fox
08-01-2007, 01:35 AM

Lip

Lip:

I spoke to Jim Callis about this years ago and it's closer to 10%. 1 % is much too low.Regardless, I still get my hackles up when I read posts like "I could have told him how much he sucks." It is so ridiculously hard to make it to the Major Leagues. They are so much better at what they do than most of us are at what we do that it's not even open for discussion. Ballplayers who make it to the Majors don't "suck" even if they don't hang on. They are incredibly good; just not good enough.

I've told this on here before, so some of the old-timers will probably be rolling their eyes, but I was a kid in the fifties/early sixties, when everybody played baseball. We had pickup games in empty lots or in the streets all the time. I used to play with a kid named Garry Jestadt who was so much better than the rest of us it was scary. He'd knock the glove off our hands without meaning to, just throwing the ball to a base to make a play on a runner. He was a bench player for the Cubs and Padres in 71-72, and was never heard from again. I know how good Garry Jestadt was.

DMarte708
08-01-2007, 01:37 AM
That really isn't fair. Honel had the stuff. Best curveball out of that draft. Injuries just ruined his career.
So, are we supposed to just excuse the selection because he was injured?

Sounds like your making excuses for the failures of the organization.

More first round busts like this in a few years and more than Shaffer will be finding themselves unemployed.

MisterB
08-01-2007, 05:10 AM

More first round busts like this in a few years and more than Shaffer will be finding themselves unemployed.

You're right, how dare they draft someone they knew would get a career ending injury! They should only draft people that WON'T get hurt. I'm amazed no one's thought of that before.

Injuries happen. Get the **** over it.

Pasqua's Posers
08-01-2007, 09:26 AM
Here's the link to the article in the Birmingham newspaper.

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/118595616137800.xml&coll=2

Law11
08-01-2007, 09:30 AM

Those are the names.. Ruffin, Ruffcorn and Bolton.
Its been driving me nuts recently trying to remember these guys.

The high hopes for these guys was something I remember.
I did see Ruffcorn pitch up here once..

rdivaldi
08-01-2007, 10:04 AM

This is supposed to be in teal, right?

First rounders with chronic injuries don't get guys fired. First rounders that can't make it past AA do. Wyatt Allen was a bigger bust than Honel IMO.

rdivaldi
08-01-2007, 10:13 AM

I think if the internet had been as prevalent back in the early 90's we wouldn't have thought twice about guys like Ruffin. A quick glance at his minor league stats would have shown astute fans that he was walking people and his WHIP was sky high. Bolton's awful K rate would have gotten the red flags out too.

Foulke You
08-01-2007, 05:53 PM

James Baldwin was included in that group of promising youngsters that was supposed to dominate for years. Baldwin was the only one from that bunch who managed to have an average MLB career with 2000 being J.B.'s highlight year.
Another name you may remember from that era was Mike Bertotti. He didn't have quite the same fanfare and hype that the other guys did but he was another promising young pitcher who got lit up on the MLB level.

munchman33
08-01-2007, 07:51 PM

Is this a serious post or are you just trying to get a rise out of us?

bigfoot
08-07-2007, 07:44 PM

Which one will then become Mike North's replacement?

:bandance:

Lip Man 1
08-10-2007, 01:51 PM
I have no idea what's going on or the motivation behind it. He's retired but still wants to play?

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/sports/505210,101SPT5.article

Lip

downstairs
08-10-2007, 02:04 PM
I have no idea what's going on or the motivation behind it. He's retired but still wants to play?

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/sports/505210,101SPT5.article

Lip

I'm sure the motivation is he doesn't feel he has his best chance with the Sox. But, why retire? The Sox essentially said he could go... so why not just ask to leave or be traded?

munchman33
08-10-2007, 02:41 PM
I'm sure the motivation is he doesn't feel he has his best chance with the Sox. But, why retire? The Sox essentially said he could go... so why not just ask to leave or be traded?

The Sox wouldn't get anything of value for him. And if he retires, we don't have to pay him. Seems mutually beneficial for him to do it this way. We save money and get rid of a guy we're not really high on anymore. And he gets to go somewhere for a fresh start.

35th&Shields
08-10-2007, 02:46 PM
I can't believe how time has flown by. Honel was drafted 6 years ago and is now 24 years old? Wow. In my mind I always think of him as being a "young guy" in the system who should be breaking into the bigs, but if he was going to make it he probably would have gotten his shot by now. I hope he finds success somewhere. This must be a tough time for him.

AzureJazzMan
08-10-2007, 03:13 PM
Please excuse my snarky response, but, I have to say it...Kris was drafted because of his upside, and because he was a local kid. I recall distinctly, the interviews and articles that spoke with him about being a local and how great it must be to play for his "home team", and he admitted that he grew up a CUBS fan, but to play it safe, he said that he liked BOTH teams...Flash forward several injury riddled seasons of lackluster results, "poor Kris" articles, because he was passed over by much better prospects, and now his "poor me, pity me" attitude without any gratitude to our team, for giving him his shot at the pros, or paying him for his ineptitude.

The White Sox didn't DFA him. They were willing to keep paying him and fulfilling their end of the contract (otherwise he would have been gone long ago) in the faint hopes that this first round draft pick could turn it arround. But, did he want to fulfill his part of the contract? Noooooo. He is not in the bigs, because he is no longer any good (if he ever truly was), and he now wants to take his ball and go home. It is absolutely ridiculous.

IMHO He never wanted to be here in the first place. He won't make any comments about the situation or organization until AFTER he is "retired", and gee whiz, it's not really a retirement, because he plans to play again, and rejoin his former H.S. teammate in the CUBS minor league organization (or at least that is the speculation).

Aaaarrrrgggh :angry: It really drives me nuts. Do your job! Finish what you started! We didn't give up on you Kris! You are an also ran that never was...Good riddance to bad rubbish!

(deep breath) Ok...all better, rant over. Sorry guys....really I am.

Ron Mexico
08-10-2007, 03:23 PM
My guess is he is retiring to avoid further risk of injury by continuing to pitch for an organization where he is clearly out of favor.

Perhaps the "retirement" keeps him in a good standing status and/or accelerates the release procedures to allow another club to retain his rights.

I would be interested to follow his next steps to better understand this situation.

kittle42
08-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Please excuse my snarky response, but, I have to say it...Kris was drafted because of his upside, and because he was a local kid. I recall distinctly, the interviews and articles that spoke with him about being a local and how great it must be to play for his "home team", and he admitted that he grew up a CUBS fan, but to play it safe, he said that he liked BOTH teams...Flash forward several injury riddled seasons of lackluster results, "poor Kris" articles, because he was passed over by much better prospects, and now his "poor me, pity me" attitude without any gratitude to our team, for giving him his shot at the pros, or paying him for his ineptitude.

The White Sox didn't DFA him. They were willing to keep paying him and fulfilling their end of the contract (otherwise he would have been gone long ago) in the faint hopes that this first round draft pick could turn it arround. But, did he want to fulfill his part of the contract? Noooooo. He is not in the bigs, because he is no longer any good (if he ever truly was), and he now wants to take his ball and go home. It is absolutely ridiculous.

IMHO He never wanted to be here in the first place. He won't make any comments about the situation or organization until AFTER he is "retired", and gee whiz, it's not really a retirement, because he plans to play again, and rejoin his former H.S. teammate in the CUBS minor league organization (or at least that is the speculation).

Aaaarrrrgggh :angry: It really drives me nuts. Do your job! Finish what you started! We didn't give up on you Kris! You are an also ran that never was...Good riddance to bad rubbish!

(deep breath) Ok...all better, rant over. Sorry guys....really I am.

Hangar?

StillMissOzzie
08-10-2007, 08:00 PM
Hangar?

No way...the punctuation and use of capital letters is way too good.

SMO
:D:

Chisoxfn
08-12-2007, 01:02 AM
I want to point out that Honel was already paid (signing bonus) and the Sox are paying him nothing (he gets paid a monthly salary of probably 2000 bucks or so and gets whatever ever other non-minor league free agent gets, ie he gets paid the same as the rest of his Barons teammates).

At least thats my understanding of how the vast majority of all draft signings work (there are exceptions such as the Willy Mo signing or the Jeff Smardtza signings which I think were both pro contracts and as such involved an actual yearly salary as well as a signing bonus).

In terms of Kris Honel, he was very highly touted when the Sox drafted him and people all over the place were raving about Honel (Its funny how quickly people forget how BA and other publications were all penciling this guy in the rotation). Of course the last time Honel was a prospect, Ryan Wing was also a top prospect (at least in the Sox system, not necessarily indicative of him being one of the better prospects in baseball like Kris once was). It is great to see Wing pitching well in the minors again for the Sox (I hope he makes it as he's a hard working good guy).

He was a prep pitcher with the best breaking ball in the draft, but he never and I mean never had a good fastball (at least not in his professional career). I interviewed him and saw him on multiple ocassions when he was a top prospect and I remember writing to the fact that he was a bit over-rated (specifically because everyone talked about this 93-94 MPH fastball which was really 88-90).

Once he lost velocity off an already pedestrian fastball he got himself into trouble and than injury concerns came up (at one point IIRC, no one even knew what was wrong with him...this was when he initially fell off the prospect wheel a couple years back with the Barons when he was coming off a positive season in Kanny/WS).