PDA

View Full Version : *official* trade deadline super-thread

Mr. White Sox
07-31-2007, 11:41 AM
Talk about the trades made at the deadline here; might as well center the discussion to one thread unless it gets too hectic.

Proctor/Betemit swap per rotoworld and ESPN:
ESPNews reports that the Yankees have traded RHP Scott Proctor to the Dodgers for infielder Wilson Betemit.
A Proctor-for-Betemit swap has been talked about dating back to last season, when Betemit was still a Brave, but the Yankees were already rumored to be looking for bullpen help, which makes the timing odd. Proctor's arrival in Los Angeles could signal the end of the Dodgers' interest in Octavio Dotel. Betemit is deserving of more playing time than he received from the Dodgers, but doesn't figure to find regular at-bats behind Alex Rodriguez. Jul. 31 - 12:14 pm et
Piniero to St. Louis per rotoworld:
Cardinals acquired RHP Joel Pineiro and cash considerations from the Red Sox for a player to be named later.
The Red Sox were surprised when Pineiro accepted a Triple-A assignment after the team booted him from the roster. Obviously, they still felt they had no further use for him. The Cardinals could try him as a starter and bump both Mike Maroth and Brad Thompson to the pen, with Anthony Reyes already expected to move into the rotation this week. Pineiro had allowed two runs over eight innings in Triple-A.

oeo
07-31-2007, 11:47 AM
Proctor/Betemit swap per rotoworld and ESPN:Piniero to St. Louis per rotoworld:

What is with the Cardinals' fascination with crappy pitchers?

VenturaFan23
07-31-2007, 11:53 AM
What is with the Cardinals' fascination with crappy pitchers?

Maybe they'll want Contreras next

palehozenychicty
07-31-2007, 12:28 PM
Maybe they'll want Contreras next

Deep pink would not be enough for this....:D:

rowand33
07-31-2007, 12:30 PM
from rotoworld:

The Pirates and Tigers continued to discuss a Jack Wilson trade this morning, with a deal a possibility to get done before the deadline.

There are rumors floating around that it's already been agreed to. The Tigers have also talked to Colorado about Clint Barmes and Houston regarding Eric Bruntlett, but if they acquire a shortstop, it's expected to be Wilson. They could also pick up Salomon Torres, Shawn Chacon or Damaso Marte in the deal.
Source: Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070731/SPORTS02/70731038/1081/COL08)

Why are the tigers in the market for a new shortstop when they have Guillen?

I'm assuming they'd move Guillen to 3B then?

RockJock07
07-31-2007, 12:30 PM
depending on the source, this Dye deal may get done. However if it doesn't, does Dye get resigned to a 1 year deal with an option, sort of like Erstad's contract.

HotelWhiteSox
07-31-2007, 12:31 PM
depending on the source, this Dye deal may get done. However if it doesn't, does Dye get resigned to a 1 year deal with an option, sort of like Erstad's contract.

Recently he is quoted as saying there's no way he wants a 1 year deal, he basically wants this to be his last contract

thomas35forever
07-31-2007, 12:39 PM
There's talk of the Pirates trading Jack Wilson to the Tigers per ESPN. Probably not a bad deal.

Chicken Dinner
07-31-2007, 12:41 PM
Recently he is quoted as saying there's no way he wants a 1 year deal, he basically wants this to be his last contract

With his impressive numbers this year, he might not have a choice.

KenBerryGrab
07-31-2007, 12:41 PM
The Tigers wouldn't move Guillen to third; they like Inge there. More likely they'd phase out Casey and have Guillen play first.

oeo
07-31-2007, 12:42 PM
Why are the tigers in the market for a new shortstop when they have Guillen?

I'm assuming they'd move Guillen to 3B then?

To first...Casey is a free agent, I believe. Guillen is a brutal SS; he already has 20 errors.

itsnotrequired
07-31-2007, 12:44 PM
To first...Casey is a free agent, I believe. Guillen is a brutal SS; he already has 20 errors.

Correct.

balke
07-31-2007, 01:06 PM
Someone remind me again, when will we officially know whether or not someone has been dealt? Isn't there a period after the trade deadline where some trades are pending for approval by the commissioner? I just want a good idea of when I can believe for sure the Sox haven't traded anyone.

Frater Perdurabo
07-31-2007, 01:18 PM
Someone remind me again, when will we officially know whether or not someone has been dealt? Isn't there a period after the trade deadline where some trades are pending for approval by the commissioner? I just want a good idea of when I can believe for sure the Sox haven't traded anyone.

IIRC the paperwork has to be into the MLB HQ by the deadline. Obviously it might take a few hours after the deadline for the trades to be approved by the Commish (or the person(s) he designates), and for official news to filter out into the media.

getonbckthr
07-31-2007, 01:18 PM
If the Gagne to Boston deal gets done I expect the Dye for Delcarmen/WMP deal to also go through.

champagne030
07-31-2007, 01:23 PM
If the Gagne to Boston deal gets done I expect the Dye for Delcarmen/WMP deal to also go through.

I hope not. :praying:

The Racehorse
07-31-2007, 01:25 PM
Just heard Jim Rome say that ESPN is reporting that Gagne to Boston is a done deal...

getonbckthr
07-31-2007, 01:26 PM
Just heard Jim Rome say that ESPN is reporting the Gagne to Boston is a done done deal...
Kason Gabbard is rumored to be going to Texas in this deal with one other prospect.

The Racehorse
07-31-2007, 01:37 PM
Jim Rome just said that John Hammand[sp?] from SI.com is reporting the Gagne to Boston is an agreement in principle, but it is not final...

Paulwny
07-31-2007, 01:43 PM
Jim Rome just said that John Hammand[sp?] from SI.com is reporting the Gagne to Boston is an agreement in principle, but it is not final...

Gagne has to approve the trade.

Mickster
07-31-2007, 01:48 PM
Gagne has to approve the trade.

Read: Gagne has to approve of being a set-up guy....

Domeshot17
07-31-2007, 01:50 PM
Dotel to Braves for Kyle Davies is done

And Mackowiak has been sent to the Padres

balke
07-31-2007, 01:51 PM

I highly doubt that. Papelbon's been good, but he's no Gagne. They will probably fight over the job a bit, but I don't think Gagne will be demoted to set-up.

oeo
Mackowiak to Padres for a minor leaguer...wonder who. I know he's not well liked around here, but he's a good bench player.

esbrechtel
bbtn reports...
Mackowiak to Padres for minor leaguer...

getonbckthr
07-31-2007, 01:52 PM
bbtn reports...
Mackowiak to Padres for minor leaguer...
If we send no cash I love this.

balke
07-31-2007, 01:53 PM
Dotel to Braves for Kyle Davies is done

And Mackowiak has been sent to the Padres

Mack caught a rough break having to play so much for the squad this year. He was so horrible at times I can't say I'll miss him though. This frees up some room in the OF for Erstad and Owens, and to keep Fields up if Crede is healthy next season.

Mickster
07-31-2007, 02:00 PM
I highly doubt that. Papelbon's been good, but he's no Gagne. They will probably fight over the job a bit, but I don't think Gagne will be demoted to set-up.

Boston has said that Papelbon will not leave the closer role no matter who they acquire.

Paulwny
07-31-2007, 02:02 PM

Gagne has a no trade clause, he also has bonus money on the table for a certain amount of saves, so he could ask Boston for the bonus money and be the set up pitcher. Either way with a no trade clause he gets to approve this deal.

Chicken Dinner
07-31-2007, 02:04 PM
Boston has said that Papelbon will not leave the closer role no matter who they acquire.

A few blown saves in a row can change that type of thinking.

balke
07-31-2007, 02:05 PM

That's pretty crazy to me. Gagne has been the single season saves leader three times in his career, and is second to Bobby thigpen for most in a season.

Huisj
07-31-2007, 02:06 PM
Mack caught a rough break having to play so much for the squad this year. He was so horrible at times I can't say I'll miss him though. This frees up some room in the OF for Erstad and Owens, and to keep Fields up if Crede is healthy next season.

He's hitting .280 and he gets on base. For a utility guy who's been asked to be an everyday guy, that's far from horrible. He started out really slow this year, but so did everyone else on the whole stinking team. He's hit over .300 since mid May when he really started to play almost every day.

soxfan13
07-31-2007, 02:06 PM

Id keep Papelbon over Gagne. 4 years ago I wouldnt but definately now i would.

HotelWhiteSox
07-31-2007, 02:08 PM
Wow, the most W Sox clips I've ever seen in an ESPN tease!

and now my cable goes out...back

Huisj
07-31-2007, 02:09 PM
That's pretty crazy to me. Gagne has been the single season saves leader three times in his career, and is second to Bobby thigpen for most in a season.

Yeah, but those seasons were years ago now. He's thrown a total of 49 innings or something since 2004, and that's including this year.

Paulwny
07-31-2007, 02:09 PM

2 possible reasons, the yankmees were after Gagne and Boston may still want to see , next year, if Paplebon could be a starter.

getonbckthr
07-31-2007, 02:12 PM
Ensberg traded to San Diego

Scottiehaswheels
07-31-2007, 02:19 PM
Ensberg traded to San DiegoSounds crazy but kinda wish we had kicked the tires on him... Maybe move him to SS or something... dunno how his range is though...

DSpivack
07-31-2007, 02:20 PM
Ensberg traded to San Diego

Wow, they're acquiring all sorts of players who aren't good enough to start.

HotelWhiteSox
07-31-2007, 02:24 PM
Dye on BBTN after the break, let us know if anything noteworthy is said, damn cable keeps cutting in and out

palehozenychicty
07-31-2007, 02:31 PM
Wow, they're acquiring all sorts of players who aren't good enough to start.

Supposedly that was their plan, according to Olney on 1050 (NY feed) last night, to acquire position depth.

getonbckthr
07-31-2007, 02:39 PM
Supposedly that was their plan, according to Olney on 1050 (NY feed) last night, to acquire position depth.
SD isn't really a place for a power hitter because of the dimensions. Their staff is good so I think for SD that was a good idea.

russ99
07-31-2007, 02:46 PM
Sounds crazy but kinda wish we had kicked the tires on him... Maybe move him to SS or something... dunno how his range is though...

Whoa. No, you don't want Ensberg on the Sox, believe me. Dude's a headcase at the plate, always changing things.

And there's no way Ensberg can play SS. In fact, he may be best suited to 1B or DH.

I wonder what the Padres gave up, a box of used jockstraps?

Nellie_Fox
07-31-2007, 03:55 PM
Dude's a headcase at the plate, always changing things.Nobody changed things at the plate more than Ripken. Was he a headcase?