PDA

View Full Version : Today's Philies Game

MCHSoxFan
07-30-2007, 10:32 PM
I went to it. I wanted to see Rowand/Iguchi play live again. Anyone else go, or at least watch on ESPN? I would never watch it on CSN!!!! :D:

Oh, by the way. I did NOT pay for the tickets. I got them for free through a family friend.

I was terrifed to go home on the "El" Red Line with all those C**s fans. Thank God I got off at 35/Sox and NOT on the Northside/Downtown area. :D:

chisoxfanatic
07-30-2007, 10:40 PM
That's cool. Did you have a hard time being able to say hi to Rowand or Gooch?

I'll be seeing them at Miller Park on Sunday.

soltrain21
07-30-2007, 10:41 PM
I went to it. I wanted to see Rowand/Iguchi play live again. Anyone else go, or at least watch on ESPN? I would never watch it on CSN!!!! :D:

Oh, by the way. I did NOT pay for the tickets. I got them for free through a family friend.

I was terrifed to go home on the "El" Red Line with all those C**s fans. Thank God I got off at 35/Sox and NOT on the Northside/Downtown area. :D:

Why were you terrified?

chisoxmike
07-30-2007, 10:50 PM
:nuts:

kittle42
07-30-2007, 11:19 PM
Ah, the silliness of youth...

BIGFrankfan01
07-31-2007, 12:01 AM
I watched the first few innings just to see Iguchi and Rowand at bat. I thought it was funny that all 4 runs were by former Sox players.

rdivaldi
07-31-2007, 12:34 AM
Why were you terrified?

Probably because Wrigley fans have become increasingly violent over the years. Wrigleyville is not a safe area after games, petty theft and assaults are increasing with every year. It won't be long before another person gets shot outside the Urinal, it's like a zoo there.

kittle42
07-31-2007, 12:43 AM
Probably because Wrigley fans have become increasingly violent over the years. Wrigleyville is not a safe area after games, petty theft and assaults are increasing with every year. It won't be long before another person gets shot outside the Urinal, it's like a zoo there.

Oh, please. I live right down the street. The neighborhood is generally great.

Nellie_Fox
07-31-2007, 01:30 AM
Oh, please. I live right down the street. The neighborhood is generally great.I just did one of my annual searches for crime within a half-mile radius of the two ballparks (source: Chicago PD (http://gis.chicagopolice.org/CLEARMap/startPage.htm)). Just a very quick search for the two weeks from July 11 to July 24 (the most recent two weeks available, specifying only the "index crimes."

Results: Wrigley 51, U.S. Cellular 6. When I ran the search for all crimes, Wrigley hit the search max of 100 and it suggested that I limit the search parameters. U.S. Cellular hit 16. Seriously.

Run it for yourself; it's easy to do.

rocky biddle
07-31-2007, 06:11 AM

Do you live in Wrigleyville or Lakeview? From what I can gather from the news, crime happens in Lakeview, while magical good times and treasured memories occur in Wrigleyville.

Frater Perdurabo
07-31-2007, 06:47 AM
I just did one of my annual searches for crime within a half-mile radius of the two ballparks (source: Chicago PD (http://gis.chicagopolice.org/CLEARMap/startPage.htm)). Just a very quick search for the two weeks from July 11 to July 24 (the most recent two weeks available, specifying only the "index crimes."

Results: Wrigley 51, U.S. Cellular 6. When I ran the search for all crimes, Wrigley hit the search max of 100 and it suggested that I limit the search parameters. U.S. Cellular hit 16. Seriously.

Paging George Knue... this thread needs some spin, er, explanation.

Viva Medias B's
07-31-2007, 07:25 AM

Lately, the Chicago Police Department has issued alerts to people because of assaults against women that have been taking place in the area.

itsnotrequired
07-31-2007, 07:26 AM

Are you posting from the Great Beyond? It would be amazing if you are still alive.

:rolleyes:

hose
07-31-2007, 08:13 AM

Could it be because you were wearing a sandwich board sign saying:

Cub fans your season IS ovah.

champagne030
07-31-2007, 08:43 AM
Lately, the Chicago Police Department has issued alerts to people because of assaults against women that have been taking place in the area.

Third time in a week occurred last night...........

The attack comes less than 48 hours after a woman was clubbed, dragged into a gangway and raped early Sunday a couple of miles to the northwest in the Wrigleyville neighborhood.

http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/local_story_212063655.html

MCHSoxFan
07-31-2007, 08:52 AM
That's cool. Did you have a hard time being able to say hi to Rowand or Gooch?

I'll be seeing them at Miller Park on Sunday.

No, I got there REAL early. I only got to talk to Aaron, but it was so fun. In fact, he knew who I was because I wore the same stuff to EVERYGAME and I had a chance to go into the dugout before a game in 2005. I was talking to my firend, who is a batboy. Then, Rowand comes out of the clubhouse. I say hi and we shake hands.

MCHSoxFan
07-31-2007, 08:53 AM

That is why I live in Bridgeport now.

PatK
07-31-2007, 08:53 AM

I tend to agree, since part of the time I live close to Addison and the lake, but I have to say, the better the Cubs do, the more un-enjoyable being there is.

Not because they are doing well as much as there are a LOT more drunken idiots wandering around the neighborhood acting like idiots with the attitude that it's okay to be rude, obnoxious, loud, and have no respect for the residents of a residential area.

A couple of weeks ago, I was going to my bank and got bumped into not once, but twice, by some drunken Chad and Trixie playing some queer game of tag or something, chasing each other around parked cars and the sidewalk on Broadway.

I yelled at them to watch where they were walking, and they looked at me like I was crazy and replied "WOOO CUBBIES!!!!".

MCHSoxFan
07-31-2007, 08:54 AM
I watched the first few innings just to see Iguchi and Rowand at bat. I thought it was funny that all 4 runs were by former Sox players.

Yeah, that was funny. Hey, I am just glad that they are still playing alright, even though they are not on the Sox.

soxfan13
07-31-2007, 09:05 AM
I just did one of my annual searches for crime within a half-mile radius of the two ballparks (source: Chicago PD (http://gis.chicagopolice.org/CLEARMap/startPage.htm)). Just a very quick search for the two weeks from July 11 to July 24 (the most recent two weeks available, specifying only the "index crimes."

Not arguing but could the U.S. Cellular number be a little skewed conisidering Wrigley has alot more denser population in that half mile then U.S. Cellular:dunno:

Fred Manrique
07-31-2007, 09:09 AM

We had Ryan Howard? How'd Kenny let him get away?

rdivaldi
07-31-2007, 09:16 AM

Females in that area would generally disagree with you. I have female clients that avoid buying a home anywhere near there for fear of being mugged or raped.

Chicken Dinner
07-31-2007, 09:47 AM
Sure looked like that idiot that fell out of the stands going for a foul ball 10 feet down was plastered. :o:

kittle42
07-31-2007, 12:04 PM
Females in that area would generally disagree with you. I have female clients that avoid buying a home anywhere near there for fear of being mugged or raped.

Plenty of young ladies bought in my condo development.

chisoxfanatic
07-31-2007, 12:12 PM
I'm glad I decided to live in Bridgeport too. My mom's told me on a few occasions that she's glad I didn't settle in Wrigleyville, because she watches the news a lot and sees the stories of what goes on up there. Meanwhile, this neighborhood is nice and quiet once 8pm hits...I love it!

rdivaldi
07-31-2007, 12:51 PM
Plenty of young ladies bought in my condo development.

:?:

So that means everything is okay?

itsnotrequired
07-31-2007, 12:59 PM
Not arguing but could the U.S. Cellular number be a little skewed conisidering Wrigley has alot more denser population in that half mile then U.S. Cellular:dunno:

Also, the Cubs were in town during those weeks which inflate the numbers. The Sox were on the road.

Nellie_Fox
07-31-2007, 02:57 PM
Also, the Cubs were in town during those weeks which inflate the numbers. The Sox were on the road.Pick your own weeks and run them. It's always worse in Wrigleyville.

I just did July 1 to July 14. Pretty evenly split between Cubs in town and Sox in town.

Wrigley area 48 index crimes, US Cellular area 17.

For those who argue that it's because the Wrigley area is more heavily populated, take a look at one of those maps and see where a half-mile radius circle takes you.

Frater Perdurabo
07-31-2007, 03:20 PM
Pick your own weeks and run them. It's always worse in Wrigleyville.

I just did July 1 to July 14. Pretty evenly split between Cubs in town and Sox in town.

Wrigley area 48 index crimes, US Cellular area 17.

For those who argue that it's because the Wrigley area is more heavily populated, take a look at one of those maps and see where a half-mile radius circle takes you.

Also, aren't crime stats reported on a per capita basis?

jenn2080
07-31-2007, 03:25 PM

Yup I have no problems really...

Nellie_Fox
07-31-2007, 03:59 PM
Also, aren't crime stats reported on a per capita basis?
No, these are raw numbers. Parts of the federal Uniform Crime Report use rates per 100,000, but they also report raw numbers.

However, if you look at the half-mile radius circles, you'll see that at Comiskey it takes in some areas that we are told you should never venture for fear of your life, while no such warnings are given about areas around Wrigley.

MCHSoxFan
07-31-2007, 08:03 PM
We had Ryan Howard? How'd Kenny let him get away?

Sorry, not ALL of them.

kittle42
07-31-2007, 11:38 PM
Yup I have no problems really...

We'll never sway these south siders, Jenn.

soxfan13
08-01-2007, 07:53 AM
No, these are raw numbers. Parts of the federal Uniform Crime Report use rates per 100,000, but they also report raw numbers.

However, if you look at the half-mile radius circles, you'll see that at Comiskey it takes in some areas that we are told you should never venture for fear of your life, while no such warnings are given about areas around Wrigley.

Yeah I see alot of empty space around U.S. Cellular and I see lots and lots of high rises around Wrigley.

jenn2080
08-01-2007, 09:47 AM
We'll never sway these south siders, Jenn.

Apparently not. A few bad things happen outside of the stadium and you would think people were getting stabbed everyday and robbed at gun point as they were coming out of a baseball game.

jenn2080
08-01-2007, 09:49 AM

Probably because there aren't any areas a 1/2 mile around Wrigley that are dangerous to venture in like around Comiskey.

kittle42
08-01-2007, 09:51 AM
Apparently not. A few bad things happen outside of the stadium and you would think people were getting stabbed everyday and robbed at gun point as they were coming out of a baseball game.

I understand their grumbling..."Comiskey is in a terrible, crime-ridden area" has been a media, etc. jingle for a long time. So south siders go do some "number crunching" to try to "prove" it's more dangerous around Wrigley.

There are tons of people in Lakeview. There's gonna be crime. But it's one of the best places in the city to live, and I think the overwhelming majority of people there will tell you that.

rdivaldi
08-01-2007, 10:10 AM
There are tons of people in Lakeview. There's gonna be crime. But it's one of the best places in the city to live, and I think the overwhelming majority of people there will tell you that.

That's completely biased from your point of view kittle. Lakeview is actually one of the worst places to live in Chicago from a pratical standpoint. The congestion, crime, negative property value growth and lack of parking spots are notoriously bad.

There's a reason why people are moving around Lakeview and not to it. North Center, Lincoln Square and even Albany Park are much more appealing now-a-days. Time to face the facts.

rdivaldi
08-01-2007, 10:13 AM
Probably because there aren't any areas a 1/2 mile around Wrigley that are dangerous to venture in like around Comiskey.

With the continuing gentrification of Bridgeport it is quickly becoming one of the hottest real estate markets in the city. I'm also unaware of this "dangerous area" you speak of. The projects are all gone and are being filled in with $600K family homes.

It's time to take off the rose colored Northside glasses...

Cat Thief
08-01-2007, 10:21 AM
With the continuing gentrification of Bridgeport it is quickly becoming one of the hottest real estate markets in the city. I'm also unaware of this "dangerous area" you speak of. The projects are all gone and are being filled in with $600K family homes.

Walk 8 blocks due south of US Cellular.

rdivaldi
08-01-2007, 10:30 AM

I'll do you 4 blocks better and go down to 47th and not bat an eye.

voodoochile
08-01-2007, 10:31 AM

Sure the gentrification hasn't reached much farther south than USCF, but 30 years ago you could say the same thing about the Wrigleyville neighborhood. All of Halsted was a pit until Jayne Byrne started the process of gentrification which turned the area west of Lincoln Park and neighborhoods north into a hot property where wealthy people live.

It takes time to effect change and I don't know how much farther the gentrification will go but the change effected all over the near south side has been amazing in a relatively short period of time.

voodoochile
08-01-2007, 10:34 AM

I'll do you 4 blocks better and go down to 47th and not bat an eye.

I agree that the dangerousness of the south side has been over stated in general. Having grown up in Hyde Park and traveled all over the south side and never having had a problem, it is mostly fear mongering which keeps the beliefs of danger going.

soxfan13
08-01-2007, 10:38 AM
I agree that the dangerousness of the south side has been over stated in general. Having grown up in Hyde Park and traveled all over the south side and never having had a problem, it is mostly fear mongering which keeps the beliefs of danger going.

I dont know about that. Grew up around Sherman Park (51st and Racine area) until 7th grade then moved to Marquette Park. Drove thru the old neighborhood a few months ago and it wasnt a pretty sight.

voodoochile
08-01-2007, 10:54 AM
I dont know about that. Grew up around Sherman Park (51st and Racine area) until 7th grade then moved to Marquette Park. Drove thru the old neighborhood a few months ago and it wasnt a pretty sight.

Sure there are pockets of Chicago all over the place where it's not a good idea to be wandering around after dark, but for the most part, it's not a problem to go pretty much anywhere during the day time.

You can pick and choose areas all over the place that are like what you describe and rundown does not necessarily mean dangerous either.

soxfan13
08-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Sure there are pockets of Chicago all over the place where it's not a good idea to be wandering around after dark, but for the most part, it's not a problem to go pretty much anywhere during the day time.

You can pick and choose areas all over the place that are like what you describe and rundown does not necessarily mean dangerous either.

Yes you can pick and choose areas throughout the city that are rundown and are not dangerous but having lived in the city my whole life and having good enough senses, I wouldnt dare get out of my car in the middle of the day.

jenn2080
08-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Yes you can pick and choose areas throughout the city that are rundown and are not dangerous but having lived in the city my whole life and having good enough senses, I wouldnt dare get out of my car in the middle of the day.

Day or night, there are parts of the South Side I wouldnt go and take a stroll down the streets during the day or night.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/jenn2080/thread_direction.gif

Cat Thief
08-01-2007, 11:45 AM
Day or night, there are parts of the South Side I wouldnt go and take a stroll down the streets during the day or night.

But anywhere North of Madison you are ok during the day? GMAB

kittle42
08-01-2007, 12:16 PM
But anywhere North of Madison you are ok during the day? GMAB

Probably everywhere except maybe Humboldt Park.

PatK
08-01-2007, 12:17 PM

Walk 8 blocks due north of Wrigley. To me, it's just as scary.

I'm not saying that the area around the Cell is perfect, but Jesus, people need to quit acting like it's the 70s.

It seems like most people I know that don't go to Sox games because of the "scary" neighborhood still think the Robert Taylor homes are standing.

soxfan13
08-01-2007, 12:21 PM

Yeah I got a little off track in defending your neighborhood , you northsiders are the root of all evil:tongue:

PatK
08-01-2007, 12:28 PM
Probably everywhere except maybe Humboldt Park.

Rogers Park isn't exactly a nice area either.

Cat Thief
08-01-2007, 12:48 PM
Walk 8 blocks due north of Wrigley. To me, it's just as scary.

I'm not saying that the area around the Cell is perfect, but Jesus, people need to quit acting like it's the 70s.

It seems like most people I know that don't go to Sox games because of the "scary" neighborhood still think the Robert Taylor homes are standing.

When our kids finish school the wife and I are hoping we can afford the move to Bridgeport. She is originally from there and I am from Marquette Park. I was just pointing out there are still projects in the area and it is not as safe as some members here, that are wearing rose colored South Side glasses, think it is.

rdivaldi
08-01-2007, 01:14 PM
Rogers Park isn't exactly a nice area either.

Nor is Uptown.

Maybe we should stop this debate, pretty soon people from outside of Chicago are going to think that our fair city is dangerous on all sides (which of course is not the case).

soxfan13
08-01-2007, 01:21 PM
Nor is Uptown.

Maybe we should stop this debate, pretty soon people from outside of Chicago are going to think that our fair city is dangerous on all sides (which of course is not the case).

Well it is, havent you seen this movie

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107286/trailers-screenplay-E20555-10-2

:tongue:

chisoxfanatic
08-01-2007, 01:24 PM

The thing I like the most about Bridgeport is how family-oriented it is, and that, for the most part, there is no "college party life" atmosphere here. It's very tame, and I've never felt threatened here once. On the other hand, that "college party life" atmosphere is rampant in Lakeview...I could never live there! Of course, that's what you're gonna get when your area is infested with bars (which, in turn, causes a ton of the crimes in said area). If Lakeview were to lose a bunch of their bars, it would definitely see a drastic improvement in their crime numbers as well.

soxfan13
08-01-2007, 01:29 PM
The thing I like the most about Bridgeport is how family-oriented it is. I love that, for the most part, there is no "college party life" atmosphere here. It's very tame, and I've never felt threatened here once. On the other hand, that "college party life" atmosphere is exactly what Lakeview is all about. Of course, that's what you're gonna get when your area is infested with bars (which, in turn, causes a ton of the crimes in said area). I'm so thankful that these Bridgeporters won't allow this neighborhood to become what Lakeview is. I'd be forced to move from this neighborhood if it ever did, because I have no appreciation for the college-type lifestyle. If Lakeview were to lose a bunch of their bars, it would definitely see a drastic improvement in their crime numbers as well.

Show me the study where the number of bars is directly related to the number of crimes?:rolleyes: If that is the case Bridgeport at one time was the most crime infested area ever when they had a bar on every block.

champagne030
08-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Show me the study where the number of bars is directly related to the number of crimes?:rolleyes: If that is the case Bridgeport at one time was the most crime infested area ever when they had a bar on every block.

:tealpolice:

You're kidding right???

jenn2080
08-01-2007, 01:37 PM
The thing I like the most about Bridgeport is how family-oriented it is, and that, for the most part, there is no "college party life" atmosphere here. It's very tame, and I've never felt threatened here once. On the other hand, that "college party life" atmosphere is rampant in Lakeview...I could never live there! Of course, that's what you're gonna get when your area is infested with bars (which, in turn, causes a ton of the crimes in said area). If Lakeview were to lose a bunch of their bars, it would definitely see a drastic improvement in their crime numbers as well.

How do you not feel threatened? You drive to the games because you have said that it is not safe for a women to walk in the neighborhood at night. I am just going out on a limb here, but if I drove to and from the bar or the game in which I live within a mile from I would imagine that I have safety issues.

soxfan13
08-01-2007, 01:42 PM
:tealpolice:

You're kidding right???

About which part?

MCHSoxFan
08-01-2007, 01:45 PM
How do you not feel threatened? You drive to the games because you have said that it is not safe for a women to walk in the neighborhood at night. I am just going out on a limb here, but if I drove to and from the bar or the game in which I live within a mile from I would imagine that I have safety issues.

I think CHISOXFANATIC was talking about Lakeview. Not sure, but I am pretty sure.

champagne030
08-01-2007, 01:46 PM
About which part?

Why don't you google alcohol and crime/violence. There's studies out the wazzou linking drinking and crime. The more capacity for drinking (more bars)= more capacity for crime.

jenn2080
08-01-2007, 01:49 PM
I think CHISOXFANATIC was talking about Lakeview. Not sure, but I am pretty sure.

The thing I like the most about Bridgeport is how family-oriented it is, and that, for the most part, there is no "college party life" atmosphere here. It's very tame, and I've never felt threatened here once.

Maybe you should reread it then. She said that she has never felt threatened living in Bridgeport. In reply I said how do you not since you drive to the games because her herself have said it is not safe for a women to walk alone at night in that area. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Jerko
08-01-2007, 01:51 PM
Why don't we just re-post that cartoon from a few years ago while we're at it (northside vs southside)? I've been walking to games at the Cell since I was a little kid and the worst thing that ever happened was I got picked up for curfew once about 30 yards from my front door. Yes there are bad areas around the park but ask the recent attack victims how safe it is around Wrigley these days and see what they tell you. Sadly, crime can happen ANYWHERE, at anytime. Both parks have nice areas around them AND less than stellar ones. :rolleyes:

soxfan13
08-01-2007, 01:52 PM
Why don't you google alcohol and crime/violence. There's studies out the wazzou linking drinking and crime. The more capacity for drinking (more bars)= more capacity for crime.

You can also find studies to contradict that. Those numbers are skewed.

soxfan13
08-01-2007, 01:58 PM
Why don't we just re-post that cartoon from a few years ago while we're at it (northside vs southside)? I've been walking to games at the Cell since I was a little kid and the worst thing that ever happened was I got picked up for curfew once about 30 yards from my front door. Yes there are bad areas around the park but ask the recent attack victims how safe it is around Wrigley these days and see what they tell you. Sadly, crime can happen ANYWHERE, at anytime. Both parks have nice areas around them AND less than stellar ones. :rolleyes:

Cheers!!!

champagne030
08-01-2007, 01:59 PM
You can also find studies to contradict that. Those numbers are skewed.

http://www.popcenter.org/problems/problem-assaults.htm

This took 10 seconds to find. How is it skewed? Either there's more crime on blocks with bars or not. And I cannot fathom how someone doesn't think alcohol consumption doesn't increase crime rates. :dunno:

Every single one of my friends, that has ever been arrested, was under the influence of alcohol at the time.

kittle42
08-01-2007, 02:00 PM
Well, this has just turned into a North Side v. South Side thing with neither side willing to give any ground and many people talking nonsense.

And take away the bars from Lakeview? What the hell would be the point of living there?!

So....

NORTH SIDE RULES!

:D:

DumpJerry
08-01-2007, 02:00 PM
What in blazes are you talking about??????? "College party life?" What is that? Are you saying that college students are violent criminals? And how do you draw a connection between bars and crime? Whenever I see those "beat up an old lady after you leave here" signs at the bars which cater to college kids, I always thought it was joke. I did not realize I was supposed to do that. I guess that is the connection between bars and crime.:rolleyes:

kittle42
08-01-2007, 02:01 PM
And I cannot fathom how someone doesn't think alcohol consumption doesn't increase crime rates.

Someone stole my dignity when I was drunk.

jenn2080
08-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Well, this has just turned into a North Side v. South Side thing with neither side willing to give any ground and many people talking nonsense.

And take away the bars from Lakeview? What the hell would be the point of living there?!

So....

NORTH SIDE RULES!

:D:

:thumbsup: :gulp:

Don't forget about great access to the lake.

soxfan13
08-01-2007, 02:06 PM
http://www.popcenter.org/problems/problem-assaults.htm

This took 10 seconds to find. How is it skewed? Either there's more crime on blocks with bars or not. And I cannot fathom how someone doesn't think alcohol consumption doesn't increase crime rates. :dunno:

Every single one of my friends, that has ever been arrested, was under the influence of alcohol at the time.

That is what I am saying that they are skewed. How many of those assaults were actually somebody leaving a bar and just grabbing the first person he saw? Guarantee the good percentage of these assault charges are among 2 people fighting in a bar or leaving a bar to fight.

whitesoxwilkes
08-01-2007, 02:07 PM
What in blazes are you talking about??????? "College party life?" What is that? Are you saying that college students are violent criminals? And how do you draw a connection between bars and crime? Whenever I see those "beat up an old lady after you leave here" signs at the bars which cater to college kids, I always thought it was joke. I did not realize I was supposed to do that. I guess that is the connection between bars and crime.:rolleyes:

I really think you need to reevaluate your priorities and what's important in your life, Counselor.

champagne030
08-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Guarantee the good percentage of these assault charges are among 2 people fighting in a bar or leaving a bar to fight.

I'm not arguing this point. The point, though, is that crime statistics are higher because of the bars, even if it's just two people from the bar fighting. No bar, no fight.....

soxfan13
08-01-2007, 02:14 PM
I'm not arguing this point. The point, though, is that crime statistics are higher because of the bars, even if it's just two people from the bar fighting. No bar, no fight.....

Ill agree with you on that. All I am saying is that bars dont make a neighborhood unsafe(pertaining to rape and murder and such)?2 dummies that want to beat the **** out of each other because they cant handle their milk, then so be it. :gulp: Im off to the bar :tongue:

Michelle
08-01-2007, 02:53 PM
If that were true Canada would be one big ghetto. Crime is relatively low here in comparison to many parts of the US, and we have bars on every street corner. Hell, our bars have bars.

People don't need bars to fight. I've seen two men throw down in grocery store parking lot over a parking space!

voodoochile
08-01-2007, 03:03 PM
If that were true Canada would be one big ghetto. Crime is relatively low here in comparison to many parts of the US, and we have bars on every street corner. Hell, our bars have bars.

People don't need bars to fight. I've seen two men throw down in grocery store parking lot over a parking space!

There are definite links between alcohol/drug consumption and crime. Not only does it lower the inhibitions of people - thus making them more likely to commit a crime (even something as relatively mundane as public urination or indecency) but also making it more likely they will be the target of a crime. Like it or not criminals prey on the weaker members of society, pick-pocketing, purse snatching, rape and murder are all easier to accomplish when the victim is intoxicated. Criminals know that fact and they use it to their advantage.

A bar on every corner doesn't equate to a bar district like the one around Wrigley where there are 3-4 bars/block all of them huge with one purpose in mind - get the pre and post game attendees as hammered as possible.

Are the one-per block bars in Bridgeport like those or are they small local watering holes where regulars congregate?

Michelle, are you telling me that red-light districts in Canada don't show higher percentage of crimes per capita than family neighborhoods? I don't buy it...

Michelle
08-01-2007, 03:27 PM
There are definite links between alcohol/drug consumption and crime. Not only does it lower the inhibitions of people - thus making them more likely to commit a crime (even something as relatively mundane as public urination or indecency) but also making it more likely they will be the target of a crime. Like it or not criminals prey on the weaker members of society, pick-pocketing, purse snatching, rape and murder are all easier to accomplish when the victim is intoxicated. Criminals know that fact and they use it to their advantage.

A bar on every corner doesn't equate to a bar district like the one around Wrigley where there are 3-4 bars/block all of them huge with one purpose in mind - get the pre and post game attendees as hammered as possible.

Are the one-per block bars in Bridgeport like those or are they small local watering holes where regulars congregate?

Michelle, are you telling me that red-light districts in Canada don't show higher percentage of crimes per capita than family neighborhoods? I don't buy it...
Crime is higher in any densely-populated area, that's a given. But I wouldn't attribute that to the fact that there's simply more bars... it's pure volume of people. We have two very large universities right here in Waterloo, and there's bars everywhere (we're very liberal drinkers up here :wink:), university students as far as the eye can see - yet the crime rate in Waterloo is very low. Not saying that there's no connection between alcohol and crime, obviously there is.. but I don't think it's the root of all evil, either.