PDA

View Full Version : Mets to get Castillo

getonbckthr
07-30-2007, 03:35 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7074758

DrewSox56
07-30-2007, 03:39 PM
At least they managed to get 2 prospects for their 2B.

I didn't realize Castillo was being paid that much.

champagne030
07-30-2007, 03:41 PM

He could bring a draft pick and Iguchi will not.

The Immigrant
07-30-2007, 03:41 PM

It's because the team acquiring him can receive two draft picks if he declines arbitration at the end of this year. That's the difference in value between him and Iguchi, who is an unrestricted free agent.

Either way, these two prospects blow.

ilsox7
07-30-2007, 03:42 PM
He could bring a draft pick and Iguchi will not.

He also is hitting 50 or so points higher and gets on base quite a bit.

itsnotrequired
07-30-2007, 03:42 PM

It is a couple B prospects. Two isn't necessarily better than one and as mentioned, the Mets could offer arbitration and possibly get draft picks.

palehozenychicty
07-30-2007, 03:44 PM
good move for the metropolitans if true. they get speed and more speed at the top.

Tragg
07-30-2007, 03:45 PM

Similar 2 month rental. They got a AA catcher (new to AA and struggling) and an A ball outfielder. We got an A Ball pitcher. I have no idea what sort of prospects the Mets got.
Castillo's having a better year than Iguchi.
He makes $5.25 million...no team would offer him arbitration.

ilsox7
07-30-2007, 03:46 PM
It is a couple B prospects. Two isn't necessarily better than one and as mentioned, the Mets could offer arbitration and possibly get draft picks.

It'll be fun to see WSI try to spin this to make KW's deal with the Phillies look bad. Now it is blatantly obvious there is no market for an average (at best this year) 2nd baseman. A guy who is better this year and could bring back picks just garnered next to nothing.

TheCommander
07-30-2007, 03:48 PM
Similar 2 month rental. They got a AA catcher (new to AA and struggling) and an A ball outfielder. We got an A Ball pitcher. I have no idea what sort of prospects the Mets got.

:deadhorse:

itsnotrequired
07-30-2007, 03:48 PM
It'll be fun to see WSI try to spin this to make KW's deal with the Phillies look bad. Now it is blatantly obvious there is no market for an average (at best this year) 2nd baseman. A guy who is better this year and could bring back picks just garnered next to nothing.

For KW haters, it will be a breeze. Hell, there was no market whatsoever for Iguchi until Utley got hurt. At least KW got SOMETHING.

As an aside, Dubee threw an inning of relief on Saturday. He struck out the side.

Zisk77
07-30-2007, 03:49 PM
I just hope it is a Met rental and that they don't try to sign him.

Flight #24
07-30-2007, 03:52 PM
As an aside, Dubee threw an inning of relief on Saturday. He struck out the side.

Just wait until Sox fans get a whiff of Dubee!

(I'll be here all the week, the possibilities are endless!)

Foulke You
07-30-2007, 04:01 PM
Does this mean the Twins are giving up? It would appear so as they just traded their starting 2B and leadoff man.:?:

oeo
07-30-2007, 04:10 PM

Let's see, the Mets are getting a better 2B and compensation picks if he leaves, and they still didn't give up much of anything for him. Yep, we could have gotten a ton for Iguchi. :rolleyes:

Tragg
07-30-2007, 04:20 PM
Maybe so, but spin swings both ways.
For example, merely mentioning "compensation" or "picks" as a difference between Iguchi and Castillo is 100% spin because there is no chance that compensation will be paid. No one will offer him arbitration (he's overpaid as it is) and if by chance a team did, he would jump on it.

So it's Castillo for the 2 prospects the Twins got; versus Iguchi for the pitcher.

ilsox7
07-30-2007, 04:23 PM
Maybe so, but spin swings both ways.
For example, merely mentioning "compensation" or "picks" as a difference between Iguchi and Castillo is 100% spin because there is no chance that compensation will be paid. No one will offer him arbitration (he's overpaid as it is) and if by chance a team did, he would jump on it.

So it's Castillo for the 2 prospects the Twins got; versus Iguchi for the pitcher.

The entire point is that this trade makes it obvious to anyone who knows a thing about the game (as if it wasn't before) that there was absolutely no market for Tad.

ma-gaga
07-30-2007, 04:50 PM
Damn you all are fast. :cool:

I like Castillo a lot, but he's starting to get old. Ryan did Luis a favor by trading him to a contender. I don't know the prospects. Better dive towards the Mets blogosphere and figure out what they are saying.

The Twins will either shift Punto over to 2nd base, or bring up Alexi Casilla to take over the role full time. Punto's a very good defender, and I haven't seen enough of Casilla to know what he can do.

Hitting wise this hurts the Twins. If they install Bartlett as their primary leadoff hitter and shift their lineup "up" one spot (Mauer 2nd, Cuddyer 3rd, Morneau 4th...) this roster move will be minimized. But Gardy's "old school" and chances are he'll plug Punto into the #2 spot and he'll kill any late inning rallies they might think about.

oh well. It's part of the plan. :gulp:

santo=dorf
07-30-2007, 05:35 PM
For KW haters, it will be a breeze. Hell, there was no market whatsoever for Iguchi until Utley got hurt. At least KW got SOMETHING.

So if you don't like the trade, you're a "KW hater?"

There was no market before the Utley injury? Why are the Mets interested in Castillo? Oh yeah, because Valentin went down. The Padres were interested in Iguchi and are still looking for a second baseman.

I guess the Durham for Adkins trade was good because "at least KW got something."

The entire point is that this trade makes it obvious to anyone who knows a thing about the game (as if it wasn't before) that there was absolutely no market for Tad.
Good lord this strawman extremist reasoning is annoying here at WSI. You're either a blind sheep or a dark cloud. A hater or an ass kisser. There's no in between.

as mentioned above, the Mets were looking for a second baseman, WHICH IS WHY THEY ARE GETTING CASTILLO, when Valentin went down.

ilsox7
07-30-2007, 05:41 PM
So if you don't like the trade, you're a "KW hater?"

There was no market before the Utley injury? Why are the Mets interested in Castillo? Oh yeah, because Valentin went down. The Padres were interested in Iguchi and are still looking for a second baseman.

I guess the Durham for Adkins trade was good because "at least KW got something."

Good lord this strawman extremist reasoning is annoying here at WSI. You're either a blind sheep or a dark cloud. A hater or an ass kisser. There's no in between.

as mentioned above, the Mets were looking for a second baseman, WHICH IS WHY THEY ARE GETTING CASTILLO, when Valentin went down.

How difficult is it to understand that two 2nd basemen have been traded and neither returned much of anything? The better one got two minor leaguers that appear to be on no one's radar while the lesser one got one minor leaguer. Do you not see that?

EDIT: And how is it a straw man argument when there are dozens of posts in which people said that KW could have gotten a lot more for Tad? I am simply saying that it's blatantly obvious that KW could not have gotten more in return for Tad. This Castillo trade is strong evidence of that.

DumpJerry
07-30-2007, 06:17 PM
EDIT: And how is it a straw man argument when there are dozens of posts in which people said that KW could have gotten a lot more for Tad? I am simply saying that it's blatantly obvious that KW could not have gotten more in return for Tad. This Castillo trade is strong evidence of that.
I agree. It cracks me up when people who are not the GM or otherwise connected to the team or negotiations who opine how a certain deal could have been sweeter. This gets even more hilarious when the GM who did the deal says that there was nothing else on the table. I love to ask those people if they knew what was turned down by the GM when shopping a certain player.

I think KW made it real clear when he shipped out Gooch. This was more about Richar than getting someone for Gooch. When looked at from the that perspective, then the Gooch deal makes sense.

champagne030
07-30-2007, 06:59 PM
I agree. It cracks me up when people who are not the GM or otherwise connected to the team or negotiations who opine how a certain deal could have been sweeter. This gets even more hilarious when the GM who did the deal says that there was nothing else on the table. I love to ask those people if they knew what was turned down by the GM when shopping a certain player.

I'm not taking issue with this trade because we would have received a bag of balls in return, no matter which team received Iguchi. I will take exception that people cannot make reasonable objections to what would have been received in a trade.

I've pointed out before that I believe KW could have received more in return for Garcia. We received a very solid prospect in Gio. IMO, the deal maker for KW was when Gavin was included. KW has been trying to acquire this guy for years. He went so far, as to offer Garland in return prior to the 2005 season. I believe that he overvalued Gavin. There was a large market for Garcia, but KW was blinded by his love for all things Floyd, IMO.

Foulke You
07-30-2007, 07:38 PM
Damn you all are fast. :cool:

I like Castillo a lot, but he's starting to get old. Ryan did Luis a favor by trading him to a contender. I don't know the prospects. Better dive towards the Mets blogosphere and figure out what they are saying.

The Twins will either shift Punto over to 2nd base, or bring up Alexi Casilla to take over the role full time. Punto's a very good defender, and I haven't seen enough of Casilla to know what he can do.

Hitting wise this hurts the Twins. If they install Bartlett as their primary leadoff hitter and shift their lineup "up" one spot (Mauer 2nd, Cuddyer 3rd, Morneau 4th...) this roster move will be minimized. But Gardy's "old school" and chances are he'll plug Punto into the #2 spot and he'll kill any late inning rallies they might think about.

oh well. It's part of the plan. :gulp:
What's the trade climate like in Minny? I have to admit, this trade surprised me, Ma-Gaga, I thought the Twins might be looking to buy at the deadline. They aren't that far out of the wild card and they have a history of late season runs. Is Hunter also on the block now?

ilsox7
07-30-2007, 11:21 PM
I've pointed out before that I believe KW could have received more in return for Garcia. We received a very solid prospect in Gio. IMO, the deal maker for KW was when Gavin was included. KW has been trying to acquire this guy for years. He went so far, as to offer Garland in return prior to the 2005 season. I believe that he overvalued Gavin. There was a large market for Garcia, but KW was blinded by his love for all things Floyd, IMO.

And what's wrong with that viewpoint? I certainly do not agree with it, but I have seen that debated on here over and over again and I rarely see anyone posting, "You must be an idiot if you think that trade was bad." In fact, I usually see people arduously supporting their position, but not going beyond that. Hell, if KW had traded for WPM, I certainly would question exactly why that was done (though reports mentioned he would end up with a 3rd team).

I don't see much problem at all questioning a trade, as long as it is reasonable to do so. The Tad trade is just unreasonable to think we could have received more. This Castillo trade proved that 100%. But it was clear as day before the Castillo trade.

Nellie_Fox
07-30-2007, 11:57 PM
What's the trade climate like in Minny? I have to admit, this trade surprised me, Ma-Gaga, I thought the Twins might be looking to buy at the deadline. They aren't that far out of the wild card and they have a history of late season runs. Is Hunter also on the block now?The consensus of sports writers up here is that Hunter will be traded.

HomeFish
07-31-2007, 01:44 AM
I for one am happy to see him out of the division (not that we'll be contending anytime soon, but still). He was a true grinder.

Nellie_Fox
07-31-2007, 01:57 AM
(not that we'll be contending anytime soon...)Classic HomeFish.

Zisk77
07-31-2007, 09:30 AM
I still don't understand how people think we could have gotten more for Garcia. We got Gio back and a former 1st round pick in Floyd. It was Clear that Garcia and his 84 mph fb and I can't hold anyone on and I'm expensive was done.

How's Garcia doing now?

Foulke You
07-31-2007, 12:05 PM
The consensus of sports writers up here is that Hunter will be traded.
Wow. If they do that, then they truly are giving up on '07 and we might have a shot at 3rd place! :D:

Lip Man 1
07-31-2007, 08:42 PM
Minnesota has bigger issues coming up next season:

1. Santana can be a free agent after the year, he could get 20 million a season from the Yankees or Red Sox.

2. Nathan can be a free agent after the season.

3. Will Liariano come back and how good will he be.

Lip

ma-gaga
07-31-2007, 10:12 PM
The consensus of sports writers up here is that Hunter will be traded.

Phew. The sports writers up here are terrible. I'm glad they all agreed on something. It was sure not to happen.

I'm guessing they'll try to resign him. He won't be worth what he'll get, but the Twins have NOONE to replace him. Their CF of the future is going to wash out of the minors. And anyone else they slot in is going to be a significant downgrade both defensively and offensively.

But a 32 year old CF'er that goes balls to the wall will probably only play in something like: 130, 120, 110, 100 games over the next 4 years. Is that worth $60MM??

Minnesota has bigger issues coming up next season:

1. Santana can be a free agent after the year, he could get 20 million a season from the Yankees or Red Sox.

2. Nathan can be a free agent after the season.

3. Will Liariano come back and how good will he be.

Lip

1. I think the Twins will offer him ~$18mm. I think he could get $22mm-$25mm if he goes to the highest bidder. I don't know what will happen, but I think the Twins are going to surprise a lot of people because I simply think they can't afford to lose that kind of talent.

2. They'll let Nathan go. As studly as he is, he's not worth $10mm to the Twins.

3. It's "Liriano". I see this mistake all the time and it bugs me a bit. I don't understand where the hell the second "a" comes from. Locally, they pronounce it "leer-ee-ah-no".

Besides, they still have to lock-up Morneau, and the idiot sportswriters love that angle. It's one of the easiest articles Souhan/Shooter/Reusse has ever written, and I just know they are simply waiting around for another chance to write it again.

But the continuing problem with the Twins is their offense. That's why they have to lock up Hunter. But... they are definitely approaching a catch-22 situation with several of their players.

Should be fun to see. :cool: