PDA

View Full Version : Why I'll reluctantly be cheering for the Cubs this year...

tony1972
07-30-2007, 01:02 PM
I am going to be raked over the coals for what I'm about to say...but here goes...

A friend of mine who I've known since childhood is terminally ill with brain cancer. He is only 34 years old. He has been a life long Cubs fan. We have fought bitterly through the years..but always remained friends. He was happy for me when the Sox won...

Normally..I don't follow the Cubs and care less about what they do..but this team has given him something to cheer about this year. I don't know if you've ever seen someone who is dying of cancer..but it is probably one of the worst and most painful ways to pass away...the Cubs playing is something he can look forward to every day (much as us with the Sox) and provide a distraction for a few hours for him...

Visiting on the weekends..I have started watching the Cubs games with him. It's hard to say this (and I never thought I would)..but for his sake I would like to see them win it all.....:(::smile::redface:.....I have found myself rooting for the Cubs (caught myself a few times...:redface:)

I guess I am torn since I've never liked the Cubs...but for a personal reason I want them to win...

(I feel like a traitor...don't get me wrong..I still love the White Sox)...but as we got to see something before we go to our grave..I would like to have him see the same thing that I did...

I'm still a Sox fan. Please don't consider me a traitor...but there are fans on the other side who've suffered like we did....

I don't know..I have mixed feelings..but I guess friendship is first and rivalries come second...

Crede_Fan
07-30-2007, 01:07 PM
I find nothing wrong in you wanting the best for your friend.

ChiWavDave
07-30-2007, 01:07 PM
Tony,

Don't feel bad at all. Baseball is Baseball, its a game, its not life and death.. Life and Death is life and death, and if the cubbies winning the world series will bring some joy and happiness to your friend, then by all means I'll be rooting for the Cubs right along with you. I have many Cubs fan friends who are blessed with health, and as their friend I would be very happy for them to experience the joy I had in 2005.

So in addition to sending all my good thoughts and prayers out to your friend and his family, I'll add a go Cubbies to them as well

dave

SBSoxFan
07-30-2007, 01:09 PM
I don't think you'll be raked over the coals. I can understand this. My Dad is a Cubs' fan so sometimes I think it might be ok if they win once before he's gone. I too am torn.

jsg-07
07-30-2007, 01:21 PM
You know I said after the Sox won it all in 05 that from this point forward, I could care less what the cubs do. In fact, at that time, I told my Cub fan friends that I do hope they win (in a year when the sox suck or are rebuilding) so they can feel the feeling I felt in 05. For you to feel that about a friend who is ill is 100% normal and anyone who would judge you on that is disturbed.

The way I look at it is this, the Sox won first, the only way Cub fans could get to me is if they beat the Sox in the WS or won 3 in a row or something crazy like that.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

lostfan
07-30-2007, 01:32 PM
I can't see how you'd be raked over the coals for that, even remotely.

For the record the true-blue Cubs fans, the honest-to-god baseball fans out there deserve a WS victory as much as we do, and deep down I hope they get it someday. The ones that bother me are the obnoxious drunks, fratboys, and fanboys who say things like "The South Side is for people who do crack and beat their wives." Of which there are MANY. And I hope their wait is an eternity.

So, see I'm torn... I can't have one without the other. I guess in the end I have to ignore the second category because the first category is so much more important.

tony1972
07-30-2007, 01:37 PM
I can't see how you'd be raked over the coals for that, even remotely.

For the record the true-blue Cubs fans, the honest-to-god baseball fans out there deserve a WS victory as much as we do, and deep down I hope they get it someday. The ones that bother me are the obnoxious drunks, fratboys, and fanboys who say things like "The South Side is for people who do crack and beat their wives." Of which there are MANY. And I hope their wait is an eternity.

So, see I'm torn... I can't have one without the other. I guess in the end I have to ignore the second category because the first category is so much more important.

That's how I feel..I've never disliked the Cubs and the die-hard Cubs fans that you have good baseball discussions with..never bothered me either.
My problem was also with those Frat Boy types who would make disparaging remarks about the Southside and where I lived and Sox fans were trash, etc..that I started wanting the Cubs to lose just to irritate those type of Cubs fans...

But the die-hards who've suffered like we have.....I wouldn't mind for them to win..

seventyseven
07-30-2007, 02:06 PM
I am going to be raked over the coals for what I'm about to say...but here goes...

A friend of mine who I've known since childhood is terminally ill with brain cancer. He is only 34 years old. He has been a life long Cubs fan. We have fought bitterly through the years..but always remained friends. He was happy for me when the Sox won...

Normally..I don't follow the Cubs and care less about what they do..but this team has given him something to cheer about this year. I don't know if you've ever seen someone who is dying of cancer..but it is probably one of the worst and most painful ways to pass away...the Cubs playing is something he can look forward to every day (much as us with the Sox) and provide a distraction for a few hours for him...

Visiting on the weekends..I have started watching the Cubs games with him. It's hard to say this (and I never thought I would)..but for his sake I would like to see them win it all.....:(::smile::redface:.....I have found myself rooting for the Cubs (caught myself a few times...:redface:)

I guess I am torn since I've never liked the Cubs...but for a personal reason I want them to win...

(I feel like a traitor...don't get me wrong..I still love the White Sox)...but as we got to see something before we go to our grave..I would like to have him see the same thing that I did...

I'm still a Sox fan. Please don't consider me a traitor...but there are fans on the other side who've suffered like we did....

I don't know..I have mixed feelings..but I guess friendship is first and rivalries come second...

I hate the Cubs with every shred of tissue and bone in my body. I cringe when they win, and am elated when they lose. I sincerely would like to see Wrigley burn to the ground.

But baseball is baseball, and life is life. Your rooting for the Cubs is both honorable and gracious, given the condition of your dear friend. Good for you.

thomas35forever
07-30-2007, 02:19 PM
I guess I can understand how you feel. My grandfather, who died 16 months ago, went to the '36 World Series when the Cubs played the Tigers. He was 12 years old at the time. They lost the game he went to and he was crying. A man told him "Don't worry, sonny. We'll get 'em tomorrow." Well, we know what eventually happened. 81 years and he never saw his team win a World Series. When the Sox won, he was in the hospital and probably not aware of what was going on. I'm not gonna argue with you on this one.

TomBradley72
07-30-2007, 07:19 PM
You should feel no reluctance at all for supporting your friend. Despite all the emotion, frustration, anguish, joy that comes from following our baseball team...in the big scheme of things it's only baseball and it's only a game.

Your post has put a face to all the real baseball fans who follow the Cubs and deserve a champion. Just as we did (and still do).

JB98
07-30-2007, 07:33 PM
I've never believed that fans "deserve a championship." What do fans do? We just sit in the stands, eat, drink and watch the game. That doesn't make us deserving of anything.

I won't root for the Cubs under any circumstances, even though I have friends who are Cubs fans.

WhiteSox5187
07-30-2007, 09:04 PM
That's a totally understandable reason to root for them...I have some friends who are die hard Cub fans, but they're all in great health, however if one of them should become terminally ill and said he just wanted to see the Cubs win a World Series before he died, yea, I'd root for them just for that. There's no shame in rooting for a good friend's last wish to come true.

ws05champs
07-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Except for 6 games a year, the Cubs are not our enemies. The Twins, Tigers, Indians and every other AL team are the enemies. And except to get back at obnoxious Cubs fans, there is no reason to root against them. Personally I would rather see an end to interleague games. They have done nothing but further polarize the baseball fans in this city. There is nothing to feel bad about helping your friend cheer on his team. After 2005 I told my friends who happen to be true Cubs fans that I hope they can experience what I as a Sox fan felt in 2005.

Chips
07-30-2007, 10:28 PM
Tony, you should write a book.

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

chaerulez
07-30-2007, 10:49 PM
I've never believed that fans "deserve a championship." What do fans do? We just sit in the stands, eat, drink and watch the game. That doesn't make us deserving of anything.

I won't root for the Cubs under any circumstances, even though I have friends who are Cubs fans.

Pay money?

JB98
07-30-2007, 11:11 PM
Pay money?

You don't deserve a championship because you pay money. You're under no obligation to go to the ballpark ever.

jabrch
07-30-2007, 11:13 PM
Since we are out of it, I am hoping the Cubs win. It will be good for the city.

07-30-2007, 11:38 PM
You don't deserve a championship because you pay money. You're under no obligation to go to the ballpark ever.

Are you serious? Without fans, baseball is nothing more than a pastime. Baseball is a highly profitable business because of the fans. Fans contribute to every dime a player or owner makes directly through merchandise, ticket sales, etc. Fans are also indirectly responsible for the huge TV contracts in which MLB profits largely...

To say the fans don't deserve a thing is both absurd and ignorant...

DumpJerry
07-30-2007, 11:38 PM
Tony, you are hereby granted a special dispensation given the circumstances. I hope the best for your friend.

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
Chips, what is so funny about Tony's situation in this thread?

JB98
07-30-2007, 11:44 PM
Are you serious? Without fans, baseball is nothing more than a pastime. Baseball is a highly profitable business because of the fans. Fans contribute to every dime a player or owner makes directly through merchandise, ticket sales, etc. Fans are also indirectly responsible for the huge TV contracts in which MLB profits largely...

To say the fans don't deserve a thing is both absurd and ignorant...

I didn't say fans don't deserve a thing. I said fans don't deserve a championship.

TDog
07-31-2007, 12:03 AM
I find nothing wrong in you wanting the best for your friend.

Neither do I.

But you know somewhere (probably in Florida or Texas) there's a man scheduled to be put to death in November for the slayings of innocent children and their puppies, and -- if he had a last request -- his last request would be to see his beloved Cubbies win the World Series before he dies. (Not so far-fetched, considering that in the 1990 movie Taking Care of Business, James Belushi escapes from prison to see his beloved Cubs win the World Series.)

I don't know if anyone's last words at his execution were "Go Cubs." I do know that someone screamed "Go Raiders" at the end not long ago.

The Make A Wish Foundation probably gets requests from kids who want to see the Mets win just one championship before they die.

DumpJerry
07-31-2007, 12:06 AM
I don't know if anyone's last words at his execution were "Go Cubs." I do know that someone screamed "Go Raiders" at the end not long ago.
Given the nature of the team's culture, it was probably a former player.:redneck

Nellie_Fox
07-31-2007, 12:06 AM
Since we are out of it, I am hoping the Cubs win. It will be good for the city.But it would be bad for the White Sox.

Chips
07-31-2007, 10:39 AM
Chips, what is so funny about Tony's situation in this thread?

Now if you'll buy that I've got some ocean front property in Arizona
From my front porch you can see the sea
Now if you'll buy that I've got some ocean front property in Arizona
And if you'll buy that I'll throw the Golden Gate in free

tony1972
07-31-2007, 01:21 PM

Wow....just wow.....I'm not into personal attacks..but what an A-- you are sometimes.......

XplodingScorbord
07-31-2007, 01:23 PM
The best to your buddy from your Sox Fan Family. Tough situation, no doubt.

TDog
07-31-2007, 03:23 PM

Because Chicago hasn't won a World Series in almost 100 years? You would hear that kind of garbage while the city celebrates.

Frankly, I care a lot less about Chicago when the Sox aren't a part of it. If the Cubs win the World Series, the Sox won't be a part of it.

JB98
07-31-2007, 06:00 PM
Because Chicago hasn't won a World Series in almost 100 years? You would hear that kind of garbage while the city celebrates.

Frankly, I care a lot less about Chicago when the Sox aren't a part of it. If the Cubs win the World Series, the Sox won't be a part of it.

Precisely. The Cubs might as well play in another part of the country. I don't ever go to the North Side for any reason. If those people are celebrating, I'm not a part of it, and I don't want to be a part of it.

I'm not a Chicago fan. I'm a Sox fan.

sullythered
07-31-2007, 06:12 PM

Class act.

chisoxmike
07-31-2007, 10:09 PM

:puking: :puking: :puking:

Sox It To Em
08-01-2007, 09:48 AM

Ugh, no thanks. :puking:

08-01-2007, 03:32 PM
I didn't say fans don't deserve a thing. I said fans don't deserve a championship.

Of course they do. If you knew your team would never win a championship, what reason would you have to invest in the team owner's and player's retirement fund?? What would the point be?

It would be like paying you barber $20 and having him tell you that you don't deserve a haircut...

Fenway
08-01-2007, 03:36 PM
I understand completly. I was rooting for the Yankees in 2001 as the city needed it.

Foulke You
08-01-2007, 04:39 PM
Tony, you get special dispensation to root for the Cubs for your friend.

However, I agree with Nellie. It would be extraordinarily bad for our franchise if the Cubs made it and won it all. We'd lose the final bits of the momentum and goodwill that was built up after 2005.

AnkleSox
08-01-2007, 05:32 PM

The city just saw a World Series championship in 05 and has had some pretty nice runs in the past year by both the Bears and the Bulls. The Cubs winning will just hurt the Sox chances of building on the popularity they built after 05. If the Sox become successful again in the next 2 years, as it appears the Bears and Bulls have a good chance of doing, then they will be seen as part of a trio of teams that represents Chicago well. If the Cubs win it all this year, then they'll be part of that trio.

HotelWhiteSox
08-01-2007, 07:55 PM
How will it be good for the city? Will the city be handed some cash to fix up the El? Morale? Yes, we need the city be more nauseating and obnoxious

Grzegorz
08-01-2007, 08:48 PM
But it would be bad for the White Sox.

Spot on Nellie... A Cubbies WS win would ensure a Bears-Cubs stranglehold on the city.

Loyalty in friendship trumps all except family and God.

ws05champs
08-01-2007, 10:53 PM
But it would be bad for the White Sox.

I think the poor play of the Sox has a much larger effect on the Sox then the Cubs winning the World Series would have on the Sox. Sure we would lose bandwagon jumpers to the Cubs but we would get them right back if the Sox were in the race next year. Such is the nature of bandwagon jumpers.

DickAllen72
08-01-2007, 10:59 PM
Screw the Cubs and the horse they rode in on.

DickAllen72
08-01-2007, 11:03 PM

It's perfectly fine for you to root for the Cubs under the circumstances with your friend.

However, I don't see why you felt you had to post it on a White Sox forum.

JB98
08-01-2007, 11:15 PM
It's perfectly fine for you to root for the Cubs under the circumstances with your friend.

He's trying to seize the moral high ground.

Personally, I think most Cubs fans are bad people. I wish them and their team nothing but failure.

HotelWhiteSox
08-01-2007, 11:29 PM

This is my feeling too, didn't want to sound like an ass, but it almost comes off as trying to lure fans or brag that other Sox fans can't attack you for this, don't really know how to word it/describe it. Like those 'michael jackson found dead...bird in driveway' threads. Not sure the point or response you want as you don't even ask for a prayer for your friend...

TornLabrum
08-02-2007, 09:23 AM
And at this point, before any of you cross the line into personal attacks or false accusations (which this is getting damn close to)....

Closed.