PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 7-31

Lip Man 1
07-30-2007, 12:21 PM
This is the busiest single day in Sox history since we've been doing this:

July 31, 1909 - ‘Sleepy’ Bill Burns fires a one hitter defeating Walter Johnson and the Senators in Washington 1 - 0. If that name sounds familiar it’s because Burns would become one of the ringleaders in the plot to fix the World Series. It was he who had the idea of going to gambler Arnold Rothstein to get the financial backing to rig the White Sox - Reds World Series of 1919.

July 31, 1910 - Lee Tannehill hits the first White Sox home run at Comiskey Park when his ball rolls under the fence. According to the rules at the time it was still considered a home run and a grand slam to boot! The Sox still lost to the Tigers though, 6 - 5.

July 31, 1964 - Sox star left hander Juan Pizarro strikes out fourteen Senators in a 6 - 0 win in Washington. Pizarro allows only four hits.

July 31, 1972 - Another baseball rarity! Dick Allen’s magical season continued with two inside the park home runs in a single game. That tied the Major League record at that time. It was set in Minnesota at old Metropolitan Stadium as the Sox beat Bert Blyleven 8 - 1. Bobby Darwin was the Twins center fielder who misplayed both of Allen’s drives. Allen was credited with five RBI’s on the day. (You can hear the first of the two home runs called by Sox announcer Jack Drees at White Sox Interactive under the story titled ‘Seventies Survival!’)

July 31, 1977- The high point of the 1977 season. The ‘Southside Hit Men’ had won the first two games of this crucial four game series with the Royals by coming from behind each time. In the first game of a double header, Chet Lemon’s two run home run in the last of the 10th tied the game at four, then Ralph Garr’s single drove in the game winner. The Sox were now 6 ˝ games in the lead, the franchise’s largest margin since 1967. Three straight come from behind wins had the crowd of over forty-five thousand in a frenzy. The second game also produced fireworks as the Royals routed the Sox 8 - 4. Hal McRae homered, then did a slow trot around the bases, tipping his cap as he touched home plate, mocking Sox fans who had called for ‘curtain calls’ all season long. Sox fans reacted by throwing garbage at McRae and the Royals from the stands.

July 31, 1991 - The white hot White Sox cap off a sizzling month with one of the most dramatic moments in team history. The Sox trail the Rangers 8 -6 going into the bottom of the 9th inning. Texas brings in former Sox pitcher "Goose" Gossage to close things out. But the goose gets cooked on this night as with two out, Robin Ventura hammers a grand slam into the right field stands winning the game 10 - 8. A full house, which included noted Cub fan Bill Murray, goes wild as Ventura is bodily lifted up by massive Frank Thomas in a celebration hug at home plate.

July 31, 1993 - With the Sox looking for any type of reliable starting pitching help in the middle of a pennant race, G.M. Ron Schueler is finally convinced to deal two of his ‘can’t miss kids,’ to Cincinnati for pitcher Tim Belcher. Belcher provides some consistency to help the rotation but comes up big when it’s really needed, in the post season. In game #4 of the ALCS, he relieved a shell shocked Jason Bere and picked up the win which tied the best of seven series at two games each.

July 31, 1996 - The White Sox infuriate their fans and anger their own players by refusing to make any significant trade moves at the deadline, settling for Tony Castillo later in August, to try to help a bullpen that’s among the worst in baseball. In fact the 1996 White Sox would set the record (since broken) for most ‘blown’ save opportunities. The Sox were in the midst of blowing a substantial lead in the Wild Card race at the time. The following week, Sox players Roberto Hernandez and Tony Phillips rip the organization in the print edition of The Sporting News.

July 31, 1997 - Perhaps the lowest point in the history of the Chicago White Sox franchise occurs as owner Jerry Reinsdorf issues his "anybody who thinks this club can catch Cleveland is crazy" comment and guts the team. Reinsdorf allows General Manager Ron Schueler to trade Wilson Alvarez, Roberto Hernandez and Danny Darwin to the Giants with the Sox only 3 ˝ games out of first. The Sox get back six minor league prospects. The "White Flag" trade results in catastrophic consequences for the team from an attendance and public relations standpoint both locally and nationally. No team before had ever traded their top pitchers when they were only a few games off the lead. Joe Morgan goes on ESPN’s ‘Baseball Tonight’ and angrily denounces Sox management saying how sorry he felt "for the fans and the season ticket holders." Dave Campbell echoes those remarks. Sports Illustrated has the Sox "surrender" as their feature story and quotes both Alvarez and Hernandez as stating that when manager Terry Bevington told them they were traded he was "laughing." Many Sox fans never forgive Reinsdorf and refuse to ever attend games in person. Sox star Robin Ventura issues his famous "I didn’t know the season ended in August" quote.

July 31, 1998 - Albert Belle clocks his 16th home run in the month which sets the MLB record. The old mark was 15, set by Joe DiMaggio, Hank Greenberg, Juan Gonzales and Joe Adcock. The Sox would hammer the Rangers in Texas 10 - 2.

July 31, 2004 - At the trade deadline, Kenny Williams makes a pitching swap that would dramatically affect the franchise. He sends former All Star Esteban Loazia to the Yankees for disappointing pitcher Jose Contreras and cash. In 2005, Contreras would become the best pitcher in baseball after the All Star break and help lead the Sox to the World Championship. He set the club record with 16 straight wins spanning the 2005 and 2006 seasons.

July 31, 2005 - In a very minor deal the Sox pick up utility man Geoff Blum from the Padres for a minor league pitcher. Blum writes his name into Sox history with his extra inning home run in Game #3 of the 2005 World Series less then three months later.

http://i13.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/ac/f4/b4d5_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/1964-TOPPS-430-JUAN-PIZARRO-WHITE-SOX-EX_W0QQitemZ190136435172QQihZ009QQcategoryZ60492QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosti ng) http://i12.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/a7/22/42bc_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/Chicago-White-Sox-DICK-ALLEN-Signed-8x10-Photo-w-COA_W0QQitemZ160141968180QQihZ006QQcategoryZ27265Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohost ing) http://i3.ebayimg.com/02/i/09/01/4b/6f_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/04-Topps-All-Time-Fan-Favorites-CHET-LEMON-White-Sox_W0QQitemZ300108535506QQihZ020QQcategoryZ55952Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohost ing) http://i10.ebayimg.com/05/i/06/63/9e/11_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/1980-Topps-Ralph-Garr-272-White-Sox-NrMT-MINT_W0QQitemZ8772604755QQihZ005QQcategoryZ60510QQ rdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosti ng) http://i6.ebayimg.com/01/i/07/27/90/a9_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/1995-95-Ultra-Gold-Medallion-Robin-Ventura-White-Sox_W0QQitemZ8823091484QQihZ018QQcategoryZ55938QQr dZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohostin g) http://i4.ebayimg.com/05/i/06/96/c0/95_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/CHICAGO-WHITE-SOX-ALBERT-BELLE-1997-ZENITH-JUMBO-CARD_W0QQitemZ270019066834QQihZ017QQcategoryZ55940 QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohos ting) http://i6.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/98/d3/7428_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/JOSE-CONTRERAS-8X10-2007-STUDIO-Photo-Chicago-WHITE-SOX_W0QQitemZ150145143598QQihZ005QQcategoryZ37592Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohost ing) http://i4.ebayimg.com/04/i/05/48/02/86_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/Chicago-White-Sox-Geoff-Blum-HR-8x10-Color-Photo_W0QQitemZ8715127773QQihZ005QQcategoryZ37592Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohost ing)

Lip

stl_sox_fan
07-30-2007, 01:52 PM
July 31, 1997 - Perhaps the lowest point in the history of the Chicago White Sox franchise occurs as owner Jerry Reinsdorf issues his "anybody who thinks this club can catch Cleveland is crazy" comment and guts the team. Reinsdorf allows General Manager Ron Schueler to trade Wilson Alvarez, Roberto Hernandez and Danny Darwin to the Giants with the Sox only 3 ˝ games out of first. The Sox get back six minor league prospects. The "White Flag" trade results in catastrophic consequences for the team from an attendance and public relations standpoint both locally and nationally. No team before had ever traded their top pitchers when they were only a few games off the lead. Joe Morgan goes on ESPN’s ‘Baseball Tonight’ and angrily denounces Sox management saying how sorry he felt "for the fans and the season ticket holders." Dave Campbell echoes those remarks. Sports Illustrated has the Sox "surrender" as their feature story and quotes both Alvarez and Hernandez as stating that when manager Terry Bevington told them they were traded he was "laughing." Many Sox fans never forgive Reinsdorf and refuse to ever attend games in person. Sox star Robin Ventura issues his famous "I didn’t know the season ended in August" quote.
Lip

Happy 10 year anniversary!
http://mensa-barbie.com/bloggerimages/200WaveWhite-Flag.JPG

Hitmen77
07-31-2007, 10:19 AM
July 31, 1991 - The white hot White Sox cap off a sizzling month with one of the most dramatic moments in team history. The Sox trail the Rangers 8 -6 going into the bottom of the 9th inning. Texas brings in former Sox pitcher "Goose" Gossage to close things out. But the goose gets cooked on this night as with two out, Robin Ventura hammers a grand slam into the right field stands winning the game 10 - 8. A full house, which included noted Cub fan Bill Murray, goes wild as Ventura is bodily lifted up by massive Frank Thomas in a celebration hug at home plate.

One of my favorite White Sox memories ever. I'll never forget watching that game on TV - the ending was amazing. Robin was on fire at that point. IIRC, he was named AL Player of the Month for July 1991. I can't believe it's been 16 years already.

Too bad the '91 team sputtered down the stretch.

downstairs
07-31-2007, 10:56 AM
Does anyone know why Jerry pulled the white flag trades?

I mean, he's not that stupid. No one is. Had to be an ulterior motive of some sort?

doogiec
07-31-2007, 11:52 AM

I mean, he's not that stupid. No one is. Had to be an ulterior motive of some sort?

A few different things were going on:

Both Alvarez and Hernandez were due to be free agents, and both had indicated an unwillingness to re-sign with the Sox under any circumstances. The Sox were faced with losing both in the offseason with no return.

While it is true the Sox were only 3.5 games out, they were a game under .500 at the time, in third place. The previous season they had gotten off to a good start, then played 10 games under .500 after June 15th. So they had gone the equivalent of 1.25 seasons playing under .500 ball. Cleveland was struggling that year, but had one of the best teams in baseball during that era. So while JR was stupid to publicly state they had no chance, I'd bet that if you asked 100 Sox fans the week before if the Sox were heading to the playoffs, 98 would have said no. There was no buzz about this team and attendance was mediocre. At this point in time, JR was still being blamed for the strike, and the media was looking for any excuse to attack again.

I think JR was disgusted by the long term underachieving of this team, expected to need a full rebuild, and realized it would be quicker to rebuild using these players as trade bait when SF was desperate.

TDog
07-31-2007, 12:07 PM

The White Sox were below .500 at this time 10 years ago. The team had a better record after the trade than they had before the trade. The team as comprised before the trade wasn't going anywhere.

The trade didn't bring much. The division-winning team of 2000 had three relievers from that deal,, though.

People who advocate wholesale trades to get young propsects to fix this White Sox team for future years are thinking in 1997 terms. They may believe the trades would be more justifiable today because the White Sox are about 10 games worse off today. But the way the fans punished the White Sox for the 1997 trade makes it more difficult for the team to make a big trade that might improve the team this year.

Railsplitter
07-31-2007, 12:25 PM
Sox were 52-53 on the day of the trade, 80-81 at the end of the season.

TDog
07-31-2007, 12:38 PM
July 31, 1972 - Another baseball rarity! Dick Allen’s magical season continued with two inside the park home runs in a single game. That tied the Major League record at that time. It was set in Minnesota at old Metropolitan Stadium as the Sox beat Bert Blyleven 8 - 1. Bobby Darwin was the Twins center fielder who misplayed both of Allen’s drives. Allen was credited with five RBI’s on the day. (You can hear the first of the two home runs called by Sox announcer Jack Drees at White Sox Interactive under the story titled ‘Seventies Survival!’)...

I was watching the game on television, and I don't dispute your account. My question is with the phrase "at that time." I know Ben Chapman had hit two inside-the-park home runs long before I was born. Has anyone ever hit more than two inside-the-park home runs in a game, or for that matter, in a doubleheader? The record is still two, isn't it?

Railsplitter
07-31-2007, 12:51 PM

Lip
I was at that game, upper deck, third base side. From there it looked like the ball would fall into the gap for a double. :bandance:

ode to veeck
07-31-2007, 12:54 PM
white flag was not the lowest point in franchise history, the WS scandal easily surpasses it.

Hitmen77
07-31-2007, 01:18 PM
This is the busiest single day in Sox history since we've been doing this:

Lip

That was the most embarassing, humiliating day to be a Sox fan in my lifetime. To Sox fans it was a total slap in the face. To non-Sox fans, it was a complete joke. It was so bad, that the trade will forever be remembered in infamy as the White Flag trade.

To make matters worse, the Sox - in exchange for dropping an atomic bomb on its fan base - didn't even hit the jackpot on prospects. 4 of the prospects we got were total duds. Bobby Howry was average at best in his few years with the Sox. The only one with success was Keith Foulke....and even there his stay with the Sox was short as he was shipped out for super flop Billy Koch when he approached free agency.

People tend to forget how many fans the Sox drew from 1990-94. JR's role in the 1994 strike while the Sox appeared to be pennant bound plus the white flag trade 3 years later destroyed our fan base. Our lack of season ticket holders was painful evident as the Sox were running away with the Central Division in both 2000 and 2005. Only after the World Series, did the Sox finally recover from this fiasco.

Other than a payroll ceiling, I don't think JR had any ulterior motives for the trade. The sad thing is that, even as recently as a few years ago, he was talking about the trade as if the Sox were right all along for making that move.

areilly
07-31-2007, 01:20 PM

I always wondered what that shot in the pre-game video was from.

Brian26
07-31-2007, 07:08 PM
One of my favorite White Sox memories ever. I'll never forget watching that game on TV - the ending was amazing. Robin was on fire at that point. IIRC, he was named AL Player of the Month for July 1991. I can't believe it's been 16 years already.

Too bad the '91 team sputtered down the stretch.

Before the 2005 season, that was my all-time favorite White Sox moment. That was just an incredible game, and the ending with Frank putting Robin over his shoulder was great. I still remember Hawk sending it back to Jim Blaney in the Sportschannel studio after the replays, and Blaney was speechless.

Frater Perdurabo
07-31-2007, 08:17 PM
Before the 2005 season, that was my all-time favorite White Sox moment. That was just an incredible game, and the ending with Frank putting Robin over his shoulder was great. I still remember Hawk sending it back to Jim Blaney in the Sportschannel studio after the replays, and Blaney was speechless.

I remember Rooney and Hagin going nuts on the radio broadcast, too. Good times, good times.

Lip Man 1
07-31-2007, 08:36 PM
T-Dog:

Gary Gaetti would also have two inside the park home runs in a game, I think around 1987 or so. Two by the way is still the record.

Regarding the White Flag Trade, this may provide some perspective:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=1528

Lip

Britt Burns
07-31-2007, 08:54 PM
T-Dog:

Regarding the White Flag Trade, this may provide some perspective:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=1528

Lip

Great article Lip! As you wrote, forget everything else for a second, the white flag was atrocious if nothing else because JR dissed Robin and all the effort he had put into returning for the season. initially it was in doubt if he would return for the year at all, and after he, the universally loved face of the franchise (along with Frank) worked so hard to come back...well, it was a low point, mabe the low point except for the 1919 team, in Sox history.

Lip Man 1
07-31-2007, 09:00 PM
Britt:

Thanks for the kind words. I did a lot of research on that article which was published here in July 2002. As it turned out the Giants went to the playoffs AGAIN that season blowing a 3-2 lead in the World Series to the Angels.

Lip

michned
08-01-2007, 01:13 AM
I was watching the game on television, and I don't dispute your account. My question is with the phrase "at that time." I know Ben Chapman had hit two inside-the-park home runs long before I was born. Has anyone ever hit more than two inside-the-park home runs in a game, or for that matter, in a doubleheader? The record is still two, isn't it?

I just remember how unbelievably identical the two homers were, with Darwin coming in and missing the shoestring catch both times.

Lip Man 1
08-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Mich:

Actually on the first ball Darwin slipped as he was going to it and as he was falling on his backside the ball hit a divot or something and hopped completely over him, rolling all the way to the fence in right center which was over 400 feet at that part of the stadium. The old Met had huge power alleys!

Lip