PDA

View Full Version : It's official...Tiger Stadium to be demolished

itsnotrequired
07-30-2007, 09:37 AM
The City Council on Friday authorized a public-private partnership to take control of Tiger Stadium with the option of tearing down the historic ballpark.

On a 5-4 vote, the council gave the Detroit Economic Development Corp. the authority to demolish the park.

The decision ends years of debate over what to do with the stadium, which housed the Detroit Tigers for more than 80 years.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/07/27/ap3961929.html

We all knew it was coming.

MeteorsSox4367
07-30-2007, 09:46 AM
At least I made it there in '99 to see a Tigers-Mariners game. A friend of mine told me that since I missed Old Comiskey so much, I should see Tiger Stadium.

It smelled like stale beer, the seats were too small for a big & tall guy and the neighborhood was horrendous.

But I had a great time because it was an old ballpark. Just thinking of all the history there was awesome. There's just something special about being in a ballpark - especially one with so much to offer from a historical perspective.

RIP, Tiger Stadium.

Law11
07-30-2007, 10:29 AM
Saw a few games there as a teen.
Very much like our old park.
It just had theat "feel" of grittier times ol' time baseball.

INSox56
07-30-2007, 11:17 AM
Maybe they needed the space for some grocery stores(?)

soxinem1
07-30-2007, 11:58 AM
Saw a few games there as a teen.
Very much like our old park.
It just had theat "feel" of grittier times ol' time baseball.

Several things that reminded me of Comiskey when I was in Tiger Stadium:

1. Could feel the presence of the All-Time greats in the park.
2. White on the outside.
3. Upper deck OF seats.
4. The thing that definitely was so similar to the two parks was the narrow walkway/concourse separating the lower deck box and reserved from the seats further back.

Walking from foul pole to foul pole was so cool, and in both parks it was possible.

I for one, loved them both with a passion.

Oblong
07-30-2007, 03:04 PM
Trust me.... this ain't over.

....and the neighborhood was horrendous

That's why. The city of Detroit cannot do anything right.

That said... an upper deck seat in the first row from 1B to 3B were the best seats in baseball. You could spit on the players, you were that close. (not that we ever did).

Chicken Dinner
07-30-2007, 03:17 PM
Wrecking that place is going to scare a lot of rats. :smile: