PDA

View Full Version : Mike North suggests White Sox trade Jenks and Dye to the Cubs.

It's Time
07-29-2007, 10:13 PM
For Ryan Theriot and Sean Marshall. ***?:?: Jenks and Dye would get more then two players. I'd take Theriot for Dye but no way does that involve Jenks for Marshall.:o: He is on sports page tonight.

southsideirish71
07-29-2007, 10:17 PM
Stop paying attention to a man, who's previous qualifications for a job was open steamer, put dogs in steamer, cook until dogs sweat, apply condiments, take money from customer, push cart and ring bell.

It's Time
07-29-2007, 10:19 PM
Stop paying attention to a man, who's previous qualifications for a job was open steamer, put dogs in steamer, cook until dogs sweat, apply condiments, take money from customer, push cart and ring bell.

Kind of hard not to pay attention to him when he shows up for a show I normally watch.

oeo
07-29-2007, 10:19 PM
For Ryan Theriot and Sean Marshall. ***?:?: Jenks and Dye would get more then two players. I'd take Theriot for Dye but no way does that involve Jenks for Marshall.:o: He is on sports page tonight.

**** Theriot and his career month. I want a real SS. He'll be 28 next year, so it's not like he's some young-gun, tons of potential player. He had a good start to the season, big deal.

Viva Medias B's
07-29-2007, 10:21 PM
Is North going on "World Tours" again? That is the only way I can fathom him coming up with something like that.

Lip Man 1
07-29-2007, 10:23 PM
"All the Sox needed to do was win ONE GAME the final week to take the pennant in 67" -- Mike North on Chicago Tribune Live!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I wouldn't be concerned about anything Mike North says regarding anything. Using the word imbecile to describe him denigrates imbecile's everywhere.

Lip

It's Time
07-29-2007, 10:29 PM
**** Theriot and his career month. I want a real SS. He'll be 28 next year, so it's not like he's some young-gun, tons of potential player. He had a good start to the season, big deal.

He's a good player. The guy is a "grinder" and from what I have seen of him, isn't scared to get a big hit. I would give Dye up for him in a second.

getonbckthr
07-29-2007, 10:32 PM
Do that job and tell me how easy it really is. I did for 6 years it is a little more difficult than that. Deal with the low-lifes and scum of the earth 8 hours a day. Sure running a hotdog stand may not qualify you to have a radio show however it doesn't qualify as picking roses either Junior.

It's Time
07-29-2007, 10:34 PM
Deal with the low-lifes and scum of the earth 8 hours a day.

So, people who go to hot dog stands are the scum of the earth.?:?:

A. Cavatica
07-29-2007, 10:40 PM
Theriot is 27, having his career year, and guess what? It's a lot worse than Uribe's career year. No thanks.

getonbckthr
07-29-2007, 10:42 PM
So, people who go to hot dog stands are the scum of the earth.?:?:
If you see some of the customers that go into fast food joints you would know what i'm talking about. Constantly having people trying to pull fast ones on you, trying to rip you off. Yes they, in my eyes, are considered scum of the earth.

Brian26
07-29-2007, 10:43 PM
Do that job and tell me how easy it really is. .... Deal with the low-lifes and scum of the earth 8 hours a day.

Did you run a hotdog stand in prison? :?:

Brian26
07-29-2007, 10:46 PM
If you see some of the customers that go into fast food joints you would know what i'm talking about. Constantly having people trying to pull fast ones on you, trying to rip you off. Yes they, in my eyes, are considered scum of the earth.

If only Grimace and Mayor McCheese were equipped with taser guns and handcuffs, the world would be a better place.

:rolleyes:

TDog
07-29-2007, 11:05 PM
If Mike North had to work for a living, I imagine his incompetence would inspire his employer to petition for a waiver on minimum wage requirements. As foul and crude as he is, I doubt he could be hired for a real job, though. Posts at WSI present a strong argument that Mr. North knows nothing about baseball.

Rather than explain why this is a stupid assertion, I would just suggest that if a New-at-WSI poster had posted such a trade suggestion, he could well be banned as a suspected troll.

getonbckthr
07-29-2007, 11:08 PM
If Mike North had to work for a living, I imagine his incompetence would inspire his employer to petition for a waiver on minimum wage requirements. As foul and crude as he is, I doubt he could be hired for a real job, though. Posts at WSI present a strong argument that Mr. North knows nothing about baseball.

Rather than explain why this is a stupid assertion, I would just suggest that if a New-at-WSI poster had posted such a trade suggestion, he could well be banned as a suspected troll.
Thats fine the guy is an idiot but the whole "he's a former hotdog stand owner so he's an idiot and useless human being" bull **** is rediculous, uncalled for and disrespectful to the people who bust their asses in that particular line of work.

A. Cavatica
07-29-2007, 11:11 PM
If only Grimace and Mayor McCheese were equipped with taser guns and handcuffs, the world would be a better place.

:rolleyes:

The Hamburglar is just misunderstood.

WhiteSox5187
07-29-2007, 11:17 PM
Thats fine the guy is an idiot but the whole "he's a former hotdog stand owner so he's an idiot and useless human being" bull **** is rediculous, uncalled for and disrespectful to the people who bust their asses in that particular line of work.
Look, I don't think we're trying to knock hot dog guys here, ok? IT's undoubtedly a hard thankless job that provides a service.

What we're angry about is not ONLY is he an idiot but his previous profession and only thing that could give him any sort of authority of sports is, well, he worked as a hot dog guy at Wrigley. Not exactly a shining resume. If he was a hot dog guy who worked his way through college or whatever and majored in Sports Journalism, no one would mention that he was a hot dog guy. But instead he dropped out of high school (I think, I'm fairly certain he didn't graduate, prove me wrong here people!) and became a hot dog guy and spouts off the same non-sense I've heard from, well, other high school drop outs who watch sports.

Dick Allen
07-29-2007, 11:27 PM
Look, I don't think we're trying to knock hot dog guys here, ok? IT's undoubtedly a hard thankless job that provides a service.

What we're angry about is not ONLY is he an idiot but his previous profession and only thing that could give him any sort of authority of sports is, well, he worked as a hot dog guy at Wrigley. Not exactly a shining resume. If he was a hot dog guy who worked his way through college or whatever and majored in Sports Journalism, no one would mention that he was a hot dog guy. But instead he dropped out of high school (I think, I'm fairly certain he didn't graduate, prove me wrong here people!) and became a hot dog guy and spouts off the same non-sense I've heard from, well, other high school drop outs who watch sports.He did not finish at Senn HS. I used to like the guy, but this is the familiar story of a person becoming a carricature of himself.

Palehose Pete
07-29-2007, 11:37 PM
The Riot might turn out to be a good MI guy, but Marshall is a load. Jenks for a 5th starter (maybe)? Give me a break.

But, North is paid to talk, so I guess he earned his money today. Hope someone gave him his banana lest he get cranky and start hurling his poop.

oeo
07-29-2007, 11:39 PM
He's a good player. The guy is a "grinder" and from what I have seen of him, isn't scared to get a big hit. I would give Dye up for him in a second.

No, he's not. He's mediocre...the Flubbie loving media would lead you to believe that he's something special, but he's really not. Just like Fontenot...another scrappy, older middle infielder that had a few good weeks.

TheOldRoman
07-29-2007, 11:41 PM
"All the Sox needed to do was win ONE GAME the final week to take the pennant in 67" -- Mike North on Chicago Tribune Live!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I wouldn't be concerned about anything Mike North says regarding anything. Using the word imbecile to describe him denigrates imbecile's everywhere.

Lip
:thumbsup:

hose
07-29-2007, 11:41 PM

The fact of the matter is his wife and mother in law did all the work. Mike was hung over and reading a racing form most of the time.:D:

Frontman
07-29-2007, 11:52 PM

Yeah, we need to go back to insulting postal workers! :wink:

Honestly, though. North does not bring credibility to any topic he speaks on. The only difference between him and the average fan is that WSCR (for whatever reason) pays him for his opinion.

Back to the topic, why exactly would the Cubs and the Sox ever do biz to help each other? The Aardsma/Cotts deal was just moving garbage from one park to the other. The Sox and the Cubs are competing with each other for the casual average Chicago fan. KW is not about to help the Cubs bring home the second championship in the past 3 years to the North Side.

slavko
07-29-2007, 11:53 PM
He did not finish at Senn HS. I used to like the guy, but this is the familiar story of a person becoming a carricature of himself.

He got a GED in the Army. This qualifies him to advise world leaders. The problem is, he really thinks it does.

JB98
07-30-2007, 12:00 AM
Mike North can go to Jolly Pirate Donuts and take a two-hour **** for all I care. Thankfully, he is not the GM of the Chicago White Sox.

Why the hell should the Sox do the Cubs any favors? The Sox battle the Cubs for market share and consumer dollars, right? No need to help those *******s out. They have deep pockets. Let them try to buy a championship from someone else.

Tragg
07-30-2007, 12:12 AM
The trouble with this trade is that the Sox wouldn't be getting anything very good.

But, we got Garland for Karchner in a deadline deal.
And the Bell/Sosa deal was in-season when we were contending and they weren't.
So, it's not unprecedented.
But this deal looks like they get 2 good players and we get 2 not so good players.

the1tab
07-30-2007, 12:19 AM
From what I've seen, Sean Marshall has the makings of what might become a pretty decent lefty. He's got a nice ERA and doesn't walk a ton of batters. His one issue is his pitch count climbs in the 3rd-5th innings. But he's a solid LH SP. See Mark Mulder.

"The Riot" is perhaps the second coming of the much beloved for an unknown reason David Eckstein. He busts his butt and plays hard, has a much better arm than the Eck does, and can run.

But do either of these guys help get the Sox back on top of the division?

Go ahead and trade Dye... there are other, younger OFs that will bring the same game to the table (albeit w/out the leadership, ring and WS MVP trophy). But to give up on Jenks would be suicide. You have one of the very few known comodities in MLB in a closer that comes out and, many more times than not, gets the job done. To move a closer like him just because you're not contending would be stupid.

Yes, we got Garland for Karchner. But Jenks is a helluva lot better than Karchner.

TDog
07-30-2007, 12:49 AM

I never refereed to Mr. North as a former hot dog stand owner. If that was all he was, he might be able to pass as a non-useless human being. Had he remained silent, at worst a few people would have suspected he was a fool, but the way he does his job removes all doubt.

pagansoxfan
07-30-2007, 12:59 AM
the riot may be a grinder, but is one of the worst baserunners i've ever seen. i'd rather have pagan, and not bc i'm a witch, lol.

thomas35forever
07-30-2007, 01:08 AM
Mike North is a ****ing POS. Period. End of story. Don't listen to the man in the morning or at any other time.

WhiteSox5187
07-30-2007, 02:13 AM
The trouble with this trade is that the Sox wouldn't be getting anything very good.

But, we got Garland for Karchner in a deadline deal.
And the Bell/Sosa deal was in-season when we were contending and they weren't.
So, it's not unprecedented.
But this deal looks like they get 2 good players and we get 2 not so good players.
I thought that deal was done in March right before the start of the season.

ZombieRob
07-30-2007, 02:22 AM
Yeah, we need to go back to insulting postal workers! :wink:

Honestly, though. North does not bring credibility to any topic he speaks on. The only difference between him and the average fan is that WSCR (for whatever reason) pays him for his opinion.

Back to the topic, why exactly would the Cubs and the Sox ever do biz to help each other? The Aardsma/Cotts deal was just moving garbage from one park to the other. The Sox and the Cubs are competing with each other for the casual average Chicago fan. KW is not about to help the Cubs bring home the second championship in the past 3 years to the North Side.
Do any of us ,have credibility when it comes to sports? I think not.We do the same thing he does,sling his "opinion around".And he really has to be good at what he does or he wouldn't be making the money he does.Rating's don't lie.wether people hate him or like him ,alot listen to him.And to his credit he does read alot of his hate mail on the air,and answers to it.

oeo
07-30-2007, 02:28 AM
Do any of us ,have credibility when it comes to sports? I think not.We do the same thing he does,sling his "opinion around".And he really has to be good at what he does or he wouldn't be making the money he does.Rating's don't lie.wether people hate him or like him ,alot listen to him.And to his credit he does read alot of his hate mail on the air,and answers to it.

I really have no idea, but isn't his show struggling?

And, as you mentioned, he's getting paid a ton of money, so how can you compare him to a bunch of fans on a message board?

ilsox7
07-30-2007, 02:50 AM

I never listen to sportstalk radio, but just a general point: just b/c you get paid a lot to do something does not mean you are good at it.

chaerulez
07-30-2007, 03:12 AM

Don't know where you sold food at, but I've never been at a McDonald's or Portillo's where someone was trying to rip off the place for it's burgers and fries.

ZombieRob
07-30-2007, 05:46 AM
I really have no idea, but isn't his show struggling?

And, as you mentioned, he's getting paid a ton of money, so how can you compare him to a bunch of fans on a message board?
Becuse what makes us qualified to judge anyone?And no his show isn't struggling.He just beat out Mike and Mike in the morning.

ZombieRob
07-30-2007, 05:48 AM
I never listen to sportstalk radio, but just a general point: just b/c you get paid a lot to do something does not mean you are good at it.
Well he must be doing something right since he's been on over a decade.

hose
07-30-2007, 09:43 AM
Don't know where you sold food at, but I've never been at a McDonald's or Portillo's where someone was trying to rip off the place for it's burgers and fries.

So then you have seen the Hamburglar?

ilsox7
07-30-2007, 10:05 AM

As I said, I don't listen to the crap, but I was just pointing out that your statement that making lots of money = good at your job is not correct by any means.

ZombieRob
07-30-2007, 10:08 AM
As I said, I don't listen to the crap, but I was just pointing out that your statement that making lots of money = good at your job is not correct by any means.
IMO in radio or pretty much any media outlets ,you have to be in order to draw ratings and sponsers.Same with sportswriters etc.We hate JayTheJoke but yet you find alot of users on here still seem to post links to what he said.So in effect he's doing what he's paid to do and thats being a complete tool so he'll attract readers.

Tragg
07-30-2007, 10:42 AM
I thought that deal was done in March right before the start of the season.YOu're probably right...the Sox were expected to be good and gave the young player for the current producer.

Frontman
07-30-2007, 07:48 PM
Becuse what makes us qualified to judge anyone?And no his show isn't struggling.He just beat out Mike and Mike in the morning.

After insulting the Asian population, creating tension in the Sox locker room, on air arguments with AJ, Ozzie (good God that was horrid) and the one that really pissed me off was the Don Cooper "What's da plan for use guys? You gonna just lay down or what?" question.

Let's see if North can:

A: Do his show without getting himself into the story and making his behavior the news

and

B: With doing just that, see if he beats Mike and Mike. It's one thing to get ratings when being a shock jock. Let's see him get ratings for being a sports radio commentator.

sullythered
07-30-2007, 08:12 PM
And he should have been pulled off the air a decade ago. Howard Stern and Opie and Anthony combined have never said half the truly insulting and ignorant things that buffoon does in a one week. I'm a white guy, but my girlfriend is Asian, and that ******* consistently makes racist remarks about Asian people. Oh, excuse me, he calls all Asians, "chinamen." I actually like Stern and his like, but North makes me so angry sometimes I wish I could run into him in a dark alley. He's a small minded buffoon, and he's only on the air because we have enough other small minded buffoons around to keep him in business.

Droso5
07-30-2007, 09:19 PM
Again with the Mike North.....these threads, while entertaining, my go the way of all the "Windosock Nonsense" threads, and we all know where they get deposited.

Frankly, I dont like North at all. He time and time again proves himself to be a complete ignorant fool about not just sports but many other things in general. I lost even more respect for him when he completely ambushed a groggy
Don Cooper live on the air and accused the Pitching Coach of the Chicago White Sox (a professional team) that he has been "rolling over" for the season. AND THEN, had the balls to ream Cooper when Cooper called him a "jag-off" Not a good thing to do when a Major League coach of any kind (I know he is paid for his time) talks to you on-air. Cooper gave just about the best and most accurate description of Mike North in the history of descriptions about Mike North.

RANT OVER:o:

MarySwiss
07-30-2007, 09:30 PM
Although I often do miss aspects of Chicago, there are a few I am glad to have seen the last of:

Mike North and Mike Murphy;
the Windsock;
cruddy winter weather;
summer humidity.

soxfan1965
07-30-2007, 09:53 PM

After insulting the Asian population, creating tension in the Sox locker room, on air arguments with AJ, Ozzie (good God that was horrid) and the one that really pissed me off was the Don Cooper "What's da plan for use guys? You gonna just lay down or what?" question.

Some day this may catch up with him. What are his credentials (degrees) and experience (e.g newspaper column)?? How did he snag a $1-1.5 million dollar per year contract??

cheezheadsoxfan
07-30-2007, 10:50 PM
For health reasons I have ended my subscription to the Tribune and quit listening to WSCR except for games and White Sox weekly or if Stone is on.

I highly recommend it.

Lip Man 1
07-31-2007, 10:18 AM
Soxfan 65:

North got the job because controversy sells today. That's his schtick and he's played it well (although the strange thing is that this lunatic doesn't appear to be 'playing'...)

Lip

rdivaldi
07-31-2007, 10:23 AM
Soxfan 65:

North got the job because controversy sells today. That's his schtick and he's played it well (although the strange thing is that this lunatic doesn't appear to be 'playing'...)

Lip

I would add "stupidity" after "controversy".

southside rocks
07-31-2007, 10:30 AM
For health reasons I have ended my subscription to the Tribune and quit listening to WSCR except for games and White Sox weekly or if Stone is on.

I highly recommend it.

I did the same thing. Life improved immediately.

spawn
07-31-2007, 10:47 AM
Jay Mariotti has been with the Sun-Times for 16. The only thing North does write is stir controversy, just like Mariotti.

esbrechtel
07-31-2007, 11:23 AM
I understand trading Dye...but why Jenks? And why are we only getting a young starter for the best closer in the league...AND Jenks is the only good part of our bullpen, unless theriot and marshall can pitch relief no thanks...I still dont see how that trade would benefit the sox in anyway besides give up guys with good playoff experience for players that havent even smelled the playoffs....good idea Mike North :rolleyes:

TDog
07-31-2007, 12:51 PM
I understand trading Dye...but why Jenks? ...

Because if you hate a team, you support trading their best players for prospects or young players who appear to have their future ahead of them. They present an argument that these best players aren't helping your team because your team doesn't have a chance anyway. Some fans actually buy the argument. Other fans, and often the non-fans proposing such deals, see that as a way to emulate the success of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

Mike North is either expressing malice toward the White Sox or he has no baseball sense. I believe both of the above apply to him.

Frontman
07-31-2007, 02:23 PM
Because if you hate a team, you support trading their best players for prospects or young players who appear to have their future ahead of them. They present an argument that these best players aren't helping your team because your team doesn't have a chance anyway. Some fans actually buy the argument. Other fans, and often the non-fans proposing such deals, see that as a way to emulate the success of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

Mike North is either expressing malice toward the White Sox or he has no baseball sense. I believe both of the above apply to him.

I disagree that North hates the Sox. North is a bandwagoneer, and he wants the Cubs now to win the title. Prior to winning the series in 2005? North didn't talk much about the Sox. Since the Cubs are dancing with 1st place, all he wants to talk about is the Cubs. Since they are a "winning" ballclub, he wants all of Chicago, including the Sox organization, to rally behind them so they can win. If that means KW takes leave of his senses and trades all talent to the northside? By all means.

champagne030
07-31-2007, 02:38 PM
Mike North suggests White Sox trade Jenks and Dye to the Cubs.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/105/272786140_a0b13c915e_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tkellyphoto/272786140/)

This guy carries more weight when discussing White Sox trades than North does.

Law11
07-31-2007, 02:42 PM
Mike must be smokin more than his cigars with Knuckles for this to make sense in his head. Must be fun to be paid crazy money to just spew whatever enters your head.

TDog
07-31-2007, 04:18 PM
I disagree that North hates the Sox. North is a bandwagoneer, and he wants the Cubs now to win the title. Prior to winning the series in 2005? North didn't talk much about the Sox. Since the Cubs are dancing with 1st place, all he wants to talk about is the Cubs. Since they are a "winning" ballclub, he wants all of Chicago, including the Sox organization, to rally behind them so they can win. If that means KW takes leave of his senses and trades all talent to the northside? By all means.

This year he probably hates the Sox. A lot of bandwagon fans hate the Sox if they aren't contending.

Frontman
07-31-2007, 05:55 PM
This year he probably hates the Sox. A lot of bandwagon fans hate the Sox if they aren't contending.

Does that mean they can finally take down his photo with Jerry at the Cell?

TheVulture
08-01-2007, 01:47 PM

I don't get it. It's not okay to make generalizations about and insult those who sell hot dogs, yet it is okay to make generalizations and insult those who buy hot dogs? Thank God I don't eat processed meats - I can't keep up with it all.