PDA

View Full Version : Padres Score 11 in First Inning

Mr. White Sox
07-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Does anyone know the record for most runs scored in the first inning? I remember either the Yankees or Devil Rays put up a huge number in the first a couple of years ago.

TDog
07-29-2007, 01:57 PM
The Red Sox tied the AL record (first set by the Indians in 1950) with 14 runs in the first inning four years ago. The NL record, 16, goes back to 1893, so, 14 would be recognized as the post-1900 record. In, maybe 1971?, the Cubs scored 10 runs in the first inning against the Astros in Wrigley Field. They were all unearned because of an error that prolonged the inning before a number of bases-loaded walks.

The White Sox in 2000 scored nine runs in the first inning of a game against the Angels in Chicago. I had great seats for the game in early September. The game ended up being a come-from-behind 13-12 win for the Sox. Erstad had two home runs for the Angels.

But in today's first-inning outburst, Tim Stauffer apparently has more hits than he has given up at this point, considering he has a no-hitter through two.

getonbckthr
07-29-2007, 02:41 PM
12-8 Houston fighting.

TDog
07-29-2007, 02:44 PM
12-8 Houston fighting.

I jinxed the no-hitter for Stauffer. When I posted he had a no-hitter going, his ERA for the season was 0.00. He is now out of the game, unable to finish the fourth, with an ERA of 17.18.

getonbckthr
07-29-2007, 02:53 PM
15-8 in the 5th.

The Racehorse
07-29-2007, 03:17 PM
15-11 btm of the 5th... wow.

WhiteSoxJunkie
07-29-2007, 10:34 PM
The White Sox in 2000 scored nine runs in the first inning of a game against the Angels in Chicago.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they also score 9 in the 1st against the Yankees in NY that same year? I remember they rocked El Duque during the Sunday game of that 7 game road winning streak through Cleveland and New York.

chisoxfanatic
07-29-2007, 10:48 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they also score 9 in the 1st against the Yankees in NY that same year? I remember they rocked El Duque during the Sunday game of that 7 game road winning streak through Cleveland and New York.

Yep. That game completed the four-game sweep of the Bronx Bombers in mid-June. Our Sox ended up winning that game 17-4. It was the same series that Chuck Knoblauch hit Keith Olberman's mom in the face on an errant throw from second. I think he comitted 6 errors in that series (or at least some obscene amount).

Sox It To Em
07-29-2007, 11:10 PM
The White Sox in 2000 scored nine runs in the first inning of a game against the Angels in Chicago. I had great seats for the game in early September. The game ended up being a come-from-behind 13-12 win for the Sox. Erstad had two home runs for the Angels.

That was my first Sox game ever! I remember James Baldwin was pitching for us, and he gave up like four runs in the first. Then we scored nine in the bottom half off Ramon Ortiz. The game was a huge rollercoaster.

TDog
07-30-2007, 12:09 AM
That was my first Sox game ever! I remember James Baldwin was pitching for us, and he gave up like four runs in the first. Then we scored nine in the bottom half off Ramon Ortiz. The game was a huge rollercoaster.

Sept. 3, 2000, a Sunday afternoon with the scoreboard flashing Bears updates. Angels grabbed a 4-0 lead. Sox came back to go ahead 9-4 in the bottom of the first. Thomas drove in three runs with two RBI doubles. I was sitting behind home plate with a ticket I bought at gametime, and the scouts in the section were clocking Baldwin and saying he didn't have anything. The Angels made it 9-7 in the third and grabbed an 11-9 lead in the sixth. The Sox made it 11-10. Then it was 12-10 and 12-11 before the Sox tied it in the bottom of the eighth on a Herbert Perry triple. Paul Konerko hit a sacrifice fly to give the Sox the 13-12 lead, and Keith Foulke set down the side in order in the ninth. Darin Erstad who began the game with a home run ended it by striking out.

That was an epic game.

akingamongstmen
07-30-2007, 11:26 AM
I was actually at that game yesterday. That first inning was batting practice for the Padres. The fans around me were actually laughing. What a crazy game!

By the way, Minute Maid Park is really nice. I was just happy to visit the site of my favorite baseball memory of all time. :D:

SOXPHILE
07-30-2007, 01:41 PM
Sept. 3, 2000, a Sunday afternoon with the scoreboard flashing Bears updates. Angels grabbed a 4-0 lead. Sox came back to go ahead 9-4 in the bottom of the first. Thomas drove in three runs with two RBI doubles. I was sitting behind home plate with a ticket I bought at gametime, and the scouts in the section were clocking Baldwin and saying he didn't have anything. The Angels made it 9-7 in the third and grabbed an 11-9 lead in the sixth. The Sox made it 11-10. Then it was 12-10 and 12-11 before the Sox tied it in the bottom of the eighth on a Herbert Perry triple. Paul Konerko hit a sacrifice fly to give the Sox the 13-12 lead, and Keith Foulke set down the side in order in the ninth. Darin Erstad who began the game with a home run ended it by striking out.

That was an epic game.

I remember that game, because it was my wedding day. I was getting ready for the ceremony, and had the game on. I was able to watch about the first 3 innings, and remember thinking that figures, Sox have one of the wildest games of this great summer, and I'm gonna miss it ! Later, at the reception, people who had managed to see or hear it, were telling me all about it, and sort of making fun of me, saing "How could you schedule your wedding on a day that the Sox would have a game like this ?" On a side note, it was also opening day of the NFL season too, so people were really giving me the business about what I was making them miss.

Lip Man 1
07-30-2007, 04:19 PM
August 3, 1956 - The White Sox set the franchise record by scoring eleven runs in the 1st inning of a game in Chicago against the Orioles. Billy Pierce gets the win as the Sox cruise 13 - 3.

Lip