PDA

View Full Version : Konerko sitting again?

Frontman
07-29-2007, 01:38 PM
Just looked at today's lineup on the Sox site, its saying Mack's in at 1B again. Any word if this is just taking advantage of winning this series as to give Paulie some rest, or did he get hurt recently and I just missed it?

esbrechtel
07-29-2007, 01:40 PM
I heard on the post-game show that Konerko was going to take today off because he has played so many games in a row including both ends of the double header....Ozzie said he would take off Friday and Sunday but play on Saturday...

Frontman
07-29-2007, 01:41 PM
I heard on the post-game show that Konerko was going to take today off because he has played so many games in a row including both ends of the double header....Ozzie said he would take off Friday and Sunday but play on Saturday...

I figured it was something like that, but wasn't sure. Thanks!

Fred Manrique
07-29-2007, 02:01 PM
I love to look too much into things, but maybe we're trying to show that Mack is available to play first as well by playing him there twice.

Or maybe we just need to rest Pauley and have no other first base options.

LITTLE NELL
07-29-2007, 02:07 PM
Just looked at today's lineup on the Sox site, its saying Mack's in at 1B again. Any word if this is just taking advantage of winning this series as to give Paulie some rest, or did he get hurt recently and I just missed it?
The heck with winning a series, we need to start sweeping a series or two.

thomas35forever
07-29-2007, 02:11 PM
We do need a first baseman to back up Paulie besides Thome. Maybe we'll get someone at the deadline. Anyway, it did say in the Daily Herald today that Paulie was gonna sit.

Ward Hershberger
07-29-2007, 02:46 PM
This still leaves me with a feeling there's a big deal in the works and they don't want to have to pull Paul out of the middle of a game after KW pulls the trigger.
Personally, I'd be OK with no deals at all, unless we get a Legit Major League CF or SS in return.

getonbckthr
07-29-2007, 02:51 PM
Mackowiak showcase?

downstairs
07-29-2007, 03:02 PM

Why?

Frater Perdurabo
07-29-2007, 03:16 PM
I do think that in addition to giving PK a well-deserved break, having Mack start at first gives the Sox an opportunity to showcase Mack, Dye and Pods, hoping that all three play great and encourage a desperate team to offer to overpay to acquire one or more of them.

Ward Hershberger
07-29-2007, 03:29 PM
Why does anyone need a day off today when the team has an off-day tomorrw?

Ward Hershberger
07-29-2007, 03:33 PM
Why?

on this date in 2005, Cleveland was in 3rd place, 13.5 games (15 on the loss side) behind the Sox.

LITTLE NELL
07-29-2007, 03:37 PM
on this date in 2005, Cleveland was in 3rd place, 13.5 games (15 on the loss side) behind the Sox.
Thats why I havent given up on this season. I still think we have a hot streak in us. It aint over till its over.

Frater Perdurabo
07-29-2007, 03:39 PM

Did the Indians make the playoffs in 2005?

Seriously, the Indians' comback was due to two major factors. First, the Sox played a six-week stretch of .500 ball. Second, the Indians played a month of .900 ball.

To pull of that kind of comeback, the Sox are going to have to play .900 ball while the Twins continue to fade, and the Indians AND Tigers play .500 or worse for the next month. Possible? Yes. But not realistic.

Ward Hershberger
07-29-2007, 03:41 PM
Thats why I havent given up on this season. I still think we have a hot streak in us. It aint over till its over.

I'm with ya! and Minnesota was still 10.5 behind Detroit last year at this time - they didn't make any White Flag deals either.

BainesHOF
07-29-2007, 03:58 PM
Wise up. According to a reliable postseason odds site, the chances of us making the playoffs stand at .04 of one percent. That means we're a 2,500 to 1 shot. Only a fool would be playing for this season. All of our attention needs to focus on improving the club for 2008 and beyond.

HotelWhiteSox
07-29-2007, 04:17 PM
Wise up. According to a reliable postseason odds site, the chances of us making the playoffs stand at .04 of one percent. That means we're a 2,500 to 1 shot. Only a fool would be playing for this season. All of our attention needs to focus on improving the club for 2008 and beyond.

http://www.movieactors.com/freezeframes33/dumb53.jpeg

So you're telling me there's a chance

JB98
07-29-2007, 05:39 PM
We do need a first baseman to back up Paulie besides Thome. Maybe we'll get someone at the deadline. Anyway, it did say in the Daily Herald today that Paulie was gonna sit.

We don't need a backup first baseman. Konerko plays 155 games a year. Whenever he needs a day, you plug in a utility player, such as Mack.

Don't know why Paulie was given today off though. The lineup looked real weak without both him and AJ. Of course, with the stuff Marcum was featuring, not sure it would have mattered.

alohafri
07-29-2007, 06:00 PM

It won't happen as long as Ozzie "I must give three starters the same game off" Guillen is managing the team.

SBSoxFan
07-30-2007, 10:39 AM
Did the Indians make the playoffs in 2005?

No, but the 2006 Twins did.

Seriously, the Indians' comback was due to two major factors. First, the Sox played a six-week stretch of .500 ball. Second, the Indians played a month of .900 ball.

To pull of that kind of comeback, the Sox are going to have to play .900 ball while the Twins continue to fade, and the Indians AND Tigers play .500 or worse for the next month. Possible? Yes. But not realistic.

Detroit and Cleveland are off to a good start of playing around 500. Detroit's bullpen is starting to look like the Sox' from a month ago, and Cleveland is letting Minnesota stay around. Couple that with the Sox having a large number of games left with Detroit and Cleveland, that lead could shrink in a hurry. That's why yesterday was a tough loss. Win, and the Sox are 11-1/2 back. There's still 2 months of the season left.

Zisk77
07-30-2007, 11:50 AM
I think they are just showcasing Mack for a trade. Otherwise why wouldn't play Terrero more or bring up Sweeny? I think Mack gets traded or plays very little after the deadline.

oeo
07-30-2007, 11:53 AM
I think they are just showcasing Mack for a trade. Otherwise why wouldn't play Terrero more or bring up Sweeny? I think Mack gets traded or plays very little after the deadline.

Probably because Terrero is 1)On the DL and 2)Sucks.

Sad
07-30-2007, 12:53 PM
Why does anyone need a day off today when the team has an off-day tomorrw?

They don't-
it's Ozzie and another one of his Lame' O Line-Up Sundays... :mad:

chisoxfanatic
07-30-2007, 01:06 PM
Probably because Terrero is 1)On the DL and 2)Sucks.
Pretty much. And, when Terrero comes off the DL, why give him playing time over Owens, who is a larger piece in our future? I have no problems in giving Owens a ton of playing time (even over Erstad when he returns). I do have problems with guys like Cintron getting playing time when he is not good defensively (his play yesterday was a fluke) and is a horrible hitter.