PDA

View Full Version : Do you think A Rod took steroids

Rockabilly
07-29-2007, 01:02 PM
When Jose Canseco (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=3730) wrote "Juiced" in 2005, he brought the issue of steroids in Major League Baseball to the forefront. Now, Canseco has another book due this fall and he promises some juicy info on Alex Rodriguez (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5275).
Canseco told WEEI-Radio in Boston on Friday that he has "other stuff" on the Yankees slugger, who he called a "hypocrite" who "was not all he appeared to be."
When asked if A-Rod had used steroids, Canseco told WEEI, "Wait and see."

letsgosox1592
07-29-2007, 01:04 PM
When Jose Canseco (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=3730) wrote "Juiced" in 2005, he brought the issue of steroids in Major League Baseball to the forefront. Now, Canseco has another book due this fall and he promises some juicy info on Alex Rodriguez (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5275).
Canseco told WEEI-Radio in Boston on Friday that he has "other stuff" on the Yankees slugger, who he called a "hypocrite" who "was not all he appeared to be."
No chance, hes the same size as he was when he was 19 and hes just an unbelievable hitter that is probably one of the greatest hitter all-time and the greatest hitter baseball has seen in years.

Irishsox1
07-29-2007, 01:12 PM
At this point anything is possible. I never thought Palmero took 'roids because he stayed basically the same size. Yea, he turned into a power hitter but he didn't get that big.

Put it this way, I'm done being surprised by baseball players using steroids or HGH. There is only so many times I can be so gullible.

Lip Man 1
07-29-2007, 01:37 PM
I would be shocked if he did.

Lip

soltrain21
07-29-2007, 01:40 PM
I think Jose is just trying to make as much money as possible.

Frontman
07-29-2007, 01:40 PM
Jose is just out to schill another book. His comments about A-Rod, on a Boston radio station?

Shocking!

I don't think Alex has/had taken stuff; but moving forward in sports? I'd be surprised if he did, but not shocked. Nothing is as it seems in sports anymore.

TDog
07-29-2007, 01:48 PM
But he's the great clean hope.

I wouldn't suspect Rodriguez, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were revealed he took steroids. It would be harder for many to accept because he isn't the complete jerk that Barry Bonds is or the buffoon that Sammy Sosa is. But Mark McGwire was essentially the same player in his rookie season and even at USC, and people generally take it as a given that he was steroids-assisted.

A lot of players people consider clean wouldn't surprise me, but a few players that people try to link to steroids sometimes surprises me. There were journalists in Northern California in 2005 who tried to link Frank Thomas to steroids. Thomas, however, is one player I firmly don't believe is/was steroids-assisted.

Paulwny
07-29-2007, 01:50 PM
Canseco probably wrote about ARod's personal life and possibly some extra marital affairs he may have had.

Red Barchetta
07-29-2007, 01:56 PM
There are so many different types of steroids on the market. Most people associate steroids with body-builder phsyiques and bulging biceps. However, look at the scandal involved with the "Tour De Farce" in France this year.

Many steroids involve human growth hormones and allow the body to recover faster after physical stress. Palmeiro for example, did not show outward signs of muscle development and/or increased strength, however could have simply recovered better from the previous day's game and as result felt better and therefore peformed better.

The challenge is where do we draw the line? I guess a substance being illegal is a place to start. McGwire used substances that could be bought at GNC, however were considered illegal in pro sports so that's a contradiction.

I agree Bonds, McGwire, Palmeiro and Sosa all cheated, however so did Phil Neikro using pine tar and files to doctor a ball between pitches.

It's a tough call.

I think Canseco's next tell all will be more about the lifestyle pro athletes have vs. steroid use. Nice guy! He probably will tell a story of how Alex picked up two bar skanks in KC when they were teamates in NY, blah, blah, blah.

lostfan
07-29-2007, 02:06 PM
Is this conversation really necessary anymore? Does anybody really want to keep hearing this?

Then again Canseco's book sales will probably tell us.

downstairs
07-29-2007, 03:12 PM
No chance, hes the same size as he was when he was 19 and hes just an unbelievable hitter that is probably one of the greatest hitter all-time and the greatest hitter baseball has seen in years.

Look at all the cyclists who dope... none of them are big. Steroids aren't always used just to make you big. Lots of ways you can use 'roids to get different results- just like normal exercise.

While the "size test" can be used to show almost without a doubt that some people have used... not gorwing in size does not mean they weren't used.

Who knows if he did.

TheVulture
07-29-2007, 03:48 PM

That doesn't mean anything: it's HGH that causes Sosa/Bonds/McGwire-like growth. You can take steroids just to improve your eye sight or improve endurance, speed, etc.

I wouldn't put him at the top of the list of suspects, but I wouldn't be surprised to find anyone in MLB the last 20 years took steroids, either.

getonbckthr
07-29-2007, 03:54 PM
The stuff about Arod will be about his affairs. Canseco using roids to drive up sales.

Frontman
07-29-2007, 04:27 PM
Here's a quick question. Did Conseco play on any team with A-Rod?

QCIASOXFAN
07-29-2007, 04:29 PM
Texas I think, not 100% sure though.

downstairs
07-29-2007, 04:31 PM

No, he didn't. But its not like these guys don't all talk and hang out after games... especially if one guy is essentially your dealer or connection.

QCIASOXFAN:

Actually Canseco was on TEX from 92-94... A-Rod got there in 2000....

downstairs
07-29-2007, 04:35 PM
I agree Bonds, McGwire, Palmeiro and Sosa all cheated, however so did Phil Neikro using pine tar and files to doctor a ball between pitches.

It's a tough call.

It is, but you have to look at the outcome of the cheating.

Neikro affected his games how much? Maybe a few extra strikeouts?

Many of the 'roiders, however, are individually affecting massive amounts of games. Plus, it's rampant. Neikro is one guy doing one small thing. Some people have said 5, 10, 50% of major leaguers are on the juice. That means nearly every game is drastically affected.

(Read: the entire decade after the 1994 strike)

Frontman
07-29-2007, 04:44 PM
No, he didn't. But its not like these guys don't all talk and hang out after games... especially if one guy is essentially your dealer or connection.

QCIASOXFAN:

Actually Canseco was on TEX from 92-94... A-Rod got there in 2000....

Then anything Jose has to say would be considered at least second hand news. Where's Boers and Berstein when you need them!?!?!?

eastchicagosoxfan
07-29-2007, 04:51 PM
I saw an interview with Pete Rose this morning. He raised a good point about another guy who's suppossedly beyond reproach: Nomar!! He's healthy this year, and has all of four dingers. Was he on roids when he was belting 30-35 per year at the beginning of his career? I don't know, but I think that even with his history of injuries, it's a legit question. I doubt A-Rod is on roids, but who knows what else is out there. The gap between the culprits and enforcement is so great, A-Rod could be nearly retired before he's suspected of something.

PKalltheway
07-29-2007, 06:23 PM
I won't be suprised at any new revelations, especially since Palmeiro got caught.

Viva Medias B's
07-29-2007, 06:51 PM
Canseco probably wrote about ARod's personal life and possibly some extra marital affairs he may have had.

That is a subject Jose Canseco allegedly has personal experience with in his own right.

StillMissOzzie
07-29-2007, 07:42 PM

Three-ways with Canseco and Madonna.

"I believe it's pronounced 'menage a trois' "

SMO
:gulp:

areilly
07-29-2007, 08:10 PM
I saw an interview with Pete Rose this morning. He raised a good point about another guy who's suppossedly beyond reproach: Nomar!! He's healthy this year, and has all of four dingers. Was he on roids when he was belting 30-35 per year at the beginning of his career? I don't know, but I think that even with his history of injuries, it's a legit question. I doubt A-Rod is on roids, but who knows what else is out there. The gap between the culprits and enforcement is so great, A-Rod could be nearly retired before he's suspected of something.

...and here we have the problem with the last 15 years of baseball. A guy gets hurt, has a spike or drop in performance, or both, and the first question is "is it because of PEDs?" Nomar? Kevin Brown? Eric Gagne? Brady Anderson? Luis Gonzalez? Albert Pujols? Manny Ramirez? Aaron Rowand? Kerry Wood? Mark Prior? Darrin Erstad? Magglio? Roger Clemens? Robin Ventura? Jose Contreras? Jack McDowell?

Who knows? Certainly not me.

To answer the original poster: I don't think Alex Rodriguez' accomplishments are due to steroids or HGH. But I also don't know if they aren't due to steroids or HGH.

Vernam
07-29-2007, 08:14 PM
If you have HBO, be sure to watch the latest edition of Costas NOW (http://www.hbo.com/costasnow/episode/), which includes an interview with chemist Patrick Arnold, who designed the steroids that shot Balcor to fame and that Barry Bonds, um, shot to fame. :cool: Arnold claims that the benefits go way beyond enhancing strength to include improving hand-eye coordination and fast-twitch muscle response. I'm not saying I think A-Rod's a juicer, but the lack of an oversized cranium doesn't prove he isn't. One shame of the steroid era is that every accomplishment is now suspect. The more super-human it seems, the more suspect it's likely to become.

Vernam

itsnotrequired
07-29-2007, 10:00 PM
I think I took steroids.

chisoxfanatic
07-29-2007, 10:08 PM
I don't think so; he's always been that size and a consistently powerful hitter.

Manny and Papi, on the other hand, uhhh, yea!

itsnotrequired
07-29-2007, 10:12 PM
I don't think so; he's always been that size and a consistently powerful hitter.

Manny and Papi, on the other hand, uhhh, yea!

Don't forget Frodo Baggins. Remember how big he was at the end of the movie? NO THANKS!

StillMissOzzie
07-30-2007, 02:19 AM
I think I took steroids.

If they can also serve as appetite stimulants, and checking your siggy, I would concur.

SMO
:wink:

Nellie_Fox
07-30-2007, 02:44 AM
No chance, hes the same size as he was when he was 19 and hes just an unbelievable hitter that is probably one of the greatest hitter all-time and the greatest hitter baseball has seen in years.Never say never.

TMcGwire used substances that could be bought at GNC, however were considered illegal in pro sports so that's a contradiction. If you're talking about androsteindione, I don't think it was illegal or against MLB rules at the time. But you're kidding yourself if you think that's all McGwire did.

IlliniSox4Life
07-30-2007, 03:25 AM
They're testing for all this stuff now, right? I don't think A-Rods production has dropped off at all, perhaps he's gotten better. Barry on the other hand is not hitting 70 HRs.

Nellie_Fox
07-30-2007, 03:47 AM
They're testing for all this stuff now, right? They are not testing for Human Growth Hormone (HGH) because, as I understand it, it requires a blood test and the players' union won't agree to blood tests. And the clandestine labs constantly seem to be able to stay a step ahead of the testing with "designer" steroids.

balke
07-30-2007, 07:17 AM
The only clean hope that I see is Ryan Howard. He's the only one that a rumor can't kill, unless they link it to pre-professional baseball. That's why I'll boo Bud Selig more than Bonds when the record is broken. Negligence has smudged everyone in this era.

Mickster
07-30-2007, 09:52 AM
They are not testing for Human Growth Hormone (HGH) because, as I understand it, it requires a blood test and the players' union won't agree to blood tests. And the clandestine labs constantly seem to be able to stay a step ahead of the testing with "designer" steroids.

You are correct, Nellie. From my understanding, blood tests can also be of diminished use unless you conduct a test soon after HGH is administered or unless you have a "baseline" (read: earlier blood tests from same subject) with which to compare it to. The amount of hormone that my body naturally produces is certainly different than the amount of a hormone that yours would. There is no set level that makes someone "guilty" of use.

In the Tour de France, for example, testing is done so frequently that even small deviations of hormone levels are interpreted as PID use.