PDA

View Full Version : Teixiera for Saltalamaccia?

jabrch
07-29-2007, 09:44 AM
Given that Teix is a FA after this year, that would sound like a steep price. I hope that would mean that JD's value would be going up.

Tragg
07-29-2007, 09:50 AM
Tex is a great player and they don't come free. Salty is the vogue prospect (Braves have done a super job hyping him), but the Braves know what they're doing and they usually trade from strength. They've traded a lot of prospects over the years, many of whom turned out to be legit ML players.
Play em, trade em or waste em.
I think 1 prospect is a reasonable.

The Immigrant
07-29-2007, 09:59 AM
Teixeira is NOT a free agent after this season. He only has 4 years of MLB service time, 5 after this season, and is thus arbitration eligible and under team control for one more year.

tm1119
07-30-2007, 11:43 AM
The deal is suppoased to be done right now. Texas would recieve Salty, Class A SS Elvis Andrus, and 2 pitching prospects while Atlanta gets Tex and RP Mahay

The Immigrant
07-30-2007, 11:46 AM
Ken Rosenthal: "The Braves are on the verge of acquiring Rangers first baseman Mark Teixeira. The deal is done, pending a review of the medical records of the players involved, according to major-league sources."

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7074846

Teixeira and Mahay for Salty, Andrus and two pitching prospects.

This might make Atlanta the team to beat in the NL.

Sockinchisox
07-30-2007, 11:48 AM
Ken Rosenthal: "The Braves are on the verge of acquiring Rangers first baseman Mark Teixeira. The deal is done, pending a review of the medical records of the players involved, according to major-league sources."

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7074846

Teixeira and Mahay for Salty, Andrus and two pitching prospects.

It's a nice trade for both side but imo, Rangers hit the motherload with this trade.

oeo
07-30-2007, 11:48 AM

They still need another starter.

ndgt10
07-30-2007, 11:54 AM
They still need another starter.

:contreras:
"Somebody say they need a starter?"

oeo
07-30-2007, 11:57 AM
:contreras:
"Somebody say they need a starter?"

I'm talking about a middle rotation guy. Although I do think Contreras would be better suited in the NL, right now he's about a 7th starter in a 5-man rotation.

ndgt10
07-30-2007, 12:04 PM
I'm talking about a middle rotation guy. Although I do think Contreras would be better suited in the NL, right now he's about a 7th starter in a 5-man rotation.
Doesn't the NL bring down a pitchers ERA by about 1.5?

Contreras in AL = 6.22
Contreras in NL = 4.72?

Ah hell, I just want this man off this team.

itsnotrequired
07-30-2007, 12:10 PM

Contreras in AL = 6.22
Contreras in NL = 4.72?

1.5? No way. More like 0.5.

oeo
07-30-2007, 12:11 PM

Contreras in AL = 6.22
Contreras in NL = 4.72?

You can't just subtract 1.5 or add 1.5 to the ERA, and that's what you're going to get. It depends on the pitcher...if all he's throwing is crap, he's going to get hit by big league hitters, regardless of what league. Until Jose can get some more giddy-up on that fastball and/or stop putting it up in the zone, he's going to get hit.

Garland would be the better fit. Atlanta originally tried a Renteria-for-Garland deal, but was turned down, and have now reportedly added a top pitching prospect (but is that prospect gone now? their top pitching prospect is also have shoulder issues in AA). We'll see, but it could be Garland that's traded by tomorrow and not Jose.

Sockinchisox
07-30-2007, 12:17 PM

Contreras in AL = 6.22
Contreras in NL = 4.72?

Can you please explain that to this man.

http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_217096.jpg

Tragg
07-30-2007, 12:21 PM
Garland would be the better fit. Atlanta originally tried a Renteria-for-Garland deal, but was turned down, and have now reportedly added a top pitching prospect (but is that prospect gone now? their top pitching prospect is also have shoulder issues in AA). We'll see, but it could be Garland that's traded by tomorrow and not Jose.
HOpefully not for a $10 mill shortstop for whom the Braves paid ONE POSPECT for 2 years ago and whom the Braves are trying to dump. Aside from his current career year, Renteria has the offensive skills about equal to Tad "There is no Market for Me" Iguchi. (Renteria's not quite as good, but close).

Get someone who can field SS, but spend that kind of money and trade that kind of talent for real offensive producers - like a CF. Or get a real offensive shortstop like Tejada.

Look at it this way. By trading Garland and spending 10 million, we get:
1)A SS who hits .350 OBP and 10-15 homers; 2)A .300 OBP and no power Owens in CF; 3)A hole in the rotation; 4)a pitching prospect
Or we could keep garland and spend the $10 Million on:
1)A SS who produces about like Owens offensively but can field; and 2)A CF, who can produce a lot, lot more than Renteria does offensively and who is a better defender than Owens.

By not making this trade and spending the money elsewhere, we are better offensively, defensively and in pitching.

If we must get this player (I know he plays Ozzie-style: swings at everyting, not much power, probably can bunt), trade Dye and Uribe for Renteria plus cash. It's the Braves who need to move him and his salary so that they can afford Tex in the future. Play from strength and don't be the Braves' dupe.

soxinem1
07-30-2007, 12:22 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb

ndgt10
07-30-2007, 12:26 PM
Atlanta originally tried a Renteria-for-Garland deal, but was turned down, and have now reportedly added a top pitching prospect (but is that prospect gone now? their top pitching prospect is also have shoulder issues in AA). .
That top pitching prospect wouldn't have the last name "Harrison" would he? If so, he was included in the package to the Rangers.

champagne030
07-30-2007, 02:20 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb

What kind of D does Andrus play? Are they planning on moving Michael Young back to 2B when/if Andrus makes it to Texas. Young has a full no-trade clause through 2009 and can only be traded to 10 teams starting in 2010. It might be hard to move him anyway, since he'll be making $16M/year, with another $15M deferred.

GAsoxfan
07-30-2007, 02:53 PM
What kind of D does Andrus play? Are they planning on moving Michael Young back to 2B when/if Andrus makes it to Texas. Young has a full no-trade clause through 2009 and can only be traded to 10 teams starting in 2010. It might be hard to move him anyway, since he'll be making $16M/year, with another $15M deferred.

I don't think Young should worry about a guy hitting .240 in high A.

soxfanatlanta
07-30-2007, 03:05 PM
Braves got fleeced, IMO. They had a perfectly decent first basemen in LaRoche last year (cheap, too) and they trade him off for a guy who didn't make it past May (Tommy John surgery). I know their farm system is pretty deep, but they could have received much more for Salty, Harrison, and Andrus.

At least they can let Andruw Jones walk, now.

thomas35forever
07-30-2007, 03:32 PM
The deal won't be official until physicals are passed.

whitesoxfan1986
07-30-2007, 04:30 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't mind trading Garland for a package similar to that one.

munchman33
07-30-2007, 05:14 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't mind trading Garland for a package similar to that one.

Well, we still have AJ under contract. So picking up a young catcher might cause problems.