PDA

View Full Version : crazy rumor-what do you think?

Lip Man 1
07-28-2007, 08:37 PM
I find this hard to believe but here's what he said in his column this afternoon:

"One, totally unsubstantiated, is Ozzie Guillen will be out as soon as this season ends and that his replacement could be a big surprise to everybody—one of the most well-known managers in baseball.

I never thought there was a ghost of a chance Guillen's job could be in jeopardy within a five-year span, and quite possibly it won't be. That rumor I heard could be unfounded.

Yet I also didn't think there was a ghost of a chance I could pick up a paper one morning in midsummer 2007 and find Guillen's team in last place. That happened recently.

Would they let Guillen go? Hey, who thought the Sox could let a class act like Mark Buehrle get away? To their credit, they didn't. But they sure did come close."

Let's say there is some truth to this report... based on Downey's description there's only two names I could possibly think of:

Tony LaRussa
Jimmy Leyland

Both former members of the organization...both very close to JR.

Take it for whatever it may be worth...

Lip

letsgosox1592
07-28-2007, 08:45 PM
Wouldn't be shocked

Steelrod
07-28-2007, 08:46 PM
I would!

Viva Medias B's
07-28-2007, 08:56 PM
I don't believe this Downey rumor; I think Ozzie is here to stay. However, if that were to come to pass, I can see TLR here because there is speculation this is his last year with the Redbirds.

mccoydp
07-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Very interesting...we'll see how this plays out.

HotelWhiteSox
07-28-2007, 09:02 PM
I'm not even Ozzie's biggest fan but the only way I see this possible is if it's OZZIE's call

letsgosox1592
07-28-2007, 09:06 PM
I'm not even Ozzie's biggest fan but the only way I see this possible is if it's OZZIE's call
I can see Ozzie walking this year for some reason. The Sox might pay him to walk or something. I just dont see Jerry and Kenny the kind of people to fire the manager unless if its completely necessary.

oeo
07-28-2007, 09:08 PM
I find this hard to believe but here's what he said in his column this afternoon:

"One, totally unsubstantiated, is Ozzie Guillen will be out as soon as this season ends and that his replacement could be a big surprise to everybody—one of the most well-known managers in baseball.

I never thought there was a ghost of a chance Guillen's job could be in jeopardy within a five-year span, and quite possibly it won't be. That rumor I heard could be unfounded.

Yet I also didn't think there was a ghost of a chance I could pick up a paper one morning in midsummer 2007 and find Guillen's team in last place. That happened recently.

Would they let Guillen go? Hey, who thought the Sox could let a class act like Mark Buehrle get away? To their credit, they didn't. But they sure did come close."

Let's say there is some truth to this report... based on Downey's description there's only two names I could possibly think of:

Tony LaRussa
Jimmy Leyland

Both former members of the organization...both very close to JR.

Take it for whatever it may be worth...

Lip

I hope not.

And if Tony La Russa comes back, I just might puke. I can't stand him. And why would Leyland leave Detroit?

Noneck
07-28-2007, 09:14 PM
Have the Sox ever paid big money for a manager?

Grzegorz

I agree; it' Ozzie's call. As for Leyland why the move to Chicago from Detroit?

This guy gets paid by creating a buzz. As for Tony LaRussa no thank you...

Evman5
Although I don't think Ozzie is gone after the season....possibly Joe Torre?

balke
07-28-2007, 09:15 PM
I don't think it would be a scape-goat or blame thing. I think if Ozzie goes it will all be connected with the pressure of the job, the toll it seems to take on him, and how he reacts to it.

I actually think Ozzie cares a lot about the team, but might not be comfortable with the idea of being blamed for the Sox losing. That could lead to the team and him splitting at seasons end.

oeo
07-28-2007, 09:18 PM
I don't think it would be a scape-goat or blame thing. I think if Ozzie goes it will all be connected with the pressure of the job, the toll it seems to take on him, and how he reacts to it.

You know, people said the past couple of years, that if Ozzie ever went through a year like the one we're having, that he would lose it. He hasn't lost it, and he's gone through one of the worst stretches this team has had in a long time. I don't think the rest of the year can get any worse than that stretch from mid-May to the end of June...so I think he'll 'react' just fine.

letsgosox1592
07-28-2007, 09:20 PM
If the Sox fire Ozzie or he leaves I want the Sox to make a run a Joe Girardi. I would love to have him as the Sox manager and he is a great one. Look what he did with the marlins 15 million payroll

balke
07-28-2007, 09:26 PM
You know, people said the past couple of years, that if Ozzie ever went through a year like the one we're having, that he would lose it. He hasn't lost it, and he's gone through one of the worst stretches this team has had in a long time. I don't think the rest of the year can get any worse than that stretch from mid-May to the end of June...so I think he'll 'react' just fine.

Really? He's already blown up twice this season and called for himself to be fired. Pretty normal for Ozzie I guess, but if any other manager was saying "they should probably fire, we are horrible" then that would come off a bit strange.

You take "react" and turn it into "Lose it". That's not what we're talking about here. I just think there's a lot of flack and emails behind the scenes that people probably don't know about.

SOXSINCE'70
07-28-2007, 09:30 PM
Joe Giraddi.

Don't you mean Joe Girardi??

letsgosox1592
07-28-2007, 09:37 PM
Don't you mean Joe Girardi??
Yeah. Lol, I'll fix it

FarWestChicago
07-28-2007, 09:38 PM
Please don't indulge Downey and Lip. Think about it.

A. Cavatica
07-28-2007, 09:45 PM
There are other well-known managers who are more likely to be changing jobs: Joe Torre, for example. The rumor that Guillen would be fired and Torre would replace him was on WSI a couple of months ago. That's about as unsubstantiated as they come.

TornLabrum
07-29-2007, 01:00 AM
There are other well-known managers who are more likely to be changing jobs: Joe Torre, for example. The rumor that Guillen would be fired and Torre would replace him was on WSI a couple of months ago. That's about as unsubstantiated as they come.

Hell, it's probably where Downey got it from!

skobabe8
07-29-2007, 01:04 AM
If the Sox fire Ozzie or he leaves I want the Sox to make a run a Joe Girardi. I would love to have him as the Sox manager and he is a great one. Look what he did with the marlins 15 million payroll

+1

soxnut71
07-29-2007, 07:57 AM
A friend of mine in Missouri has Ozzie being fired and replaced by a soon to be fired Tony LaRussa. Tony is one of Jerry's guys.

itsnotrequired
07-29-2007, 07:58 AM
Reinsdorf is also selling the team to Mike North so he can finance his space rocket venture.

Steelrod
07-29-2007, 08:08 AM
A friend of mine in Missouri has Ozzie being fired and replaced by a soon to be fired Tony LaRussa. Tony is one of Jerry's guys.
So's Ozzie !

Brian26
07-29-2007, 10:15 AM

Talk about a complete regression for the franchise. Hiring the manager they fired 21 years ago? The problem they had with Manual was that he couldn't relate to the guys on the bench and motivate them, and I'm not sure how 63-yr old LaRussa would be able to either. I'd trade Ozzie for Girardi in a second, but otherwise let's keep Ozzie.

southside rocks
07-29-2007, 10:56 AM
Reinsdorf is also selling the team to Mike North so he can finance his space rocket venture.

Wow, has Downey heard about that yet? :redneck

The sportswriters in this town can't stand it when Ozzie is quiet and behaving unexceptionally. They're like ignorant little kids who poke the dog through the fence with a stick to see it get all upset and snarl, and then they run away screaming.

I wish they'd all have to get real jobs-- even selling hot dogs. The idea that they get paid gobs of $$$ for the **** they produce just boggles my mind.

Red Barchetta
07-29-2007, 11:40 AM

Funny, because at the beginning of the season I was discussing all things baseball with my Cub-fan brother-in-law. To his credit, he is a baseball fan and unlike 90% of other Cub fans looks at the team realistically and not through Cub-Blue sunglasses.

Anyway, we were discussing the Cardinals and I told him I really think this is LaRussa's last season with them. I told him they won't publically fire him, however due to his spring training DUI, the DUI-influenced death of one of their pitchers and a few other DUI's by players during his tenure, I think the St. Louis brass will force a move. It is Bible belt country down there and now that they won the World Series under LaRussa, I see the team moving in a new direction. Their record this year should support that theory.

As to Ozzie, I think KW and JR both grow weary of being ready to defend him when he talks without thinking. Since his first year, Ozzie keeps claiming he doesn't need the job. True, he won a WS with a team that over-achieved based on statistics, but united as a team and played great baseball. Unfortunately, we could not recreate the magic last year and could realistically say underachieved. I don't blame Ozzie for 2007 due to the injuries and bullpen blowup, however if they come is last place, JR might want to bring his good friend Tony LaRussa in.

I doubt Torre would take the SOX job and as for Girardi, he's the next Yankees manager in waiting.

soxfanreggie
07-29-2007, 11:49 AM
If LaRussa was hired again and fired again, would that put him halfway to Billy Martin?

letsgosox1592
07-29-2007, 12:02 PM
If LaRussa was hired again and fired again, would that put him halfway to Billy Martin?
Not even close:D:

esbrechtel
07-29-2007, 12:46 PM
PLEASE spend the money on a big name free agent not a manager....

A. Cavatica
07-29-2007, 12:54 PM
PLEASE spend the money on a big name free agent not a manager....

"Big name" free agents are not the answer. Darin Erstad is a recent "big name" acquisition who was pretty worthless. Find us more Tadahito Iguchis, please.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-29-2007, 12:57 PM
As to Ozzie, I think KW and JR both grow weary of being ready to defend him when he talks without thinking. Since his first year, Ozzie keeps claiming he doesn't need the job. True, he won a WS with a team that over-achieved based on statistics, but united as a team and played great baseball. Unfortunately, we could not recreate the magic last year and could realistically say underachieved. I don't blame Ozzie for 2007 due to the injuries and bullpen blowup, however if they come is last place, JR might want to bring his good friend Tony LaRussa in.

Ozzie finally shut up about being fired when JR told him he was tired of hearing Ozzie keep talking about that early in the season. Shutting up did not immediately help the team, but at least Ozzie wasn't the diversion. Perhaps Ozzie was trying to take the pressure of the players at the time, but in the end it's always about Ozzie, isn't it?

I'm tired of that schtick. Whether the players are is the real question. In the last year and half, for whatever reason, he has not been able to motivate the team to play at the level they should be playing. That said, I can't see anyway he's fired. He gets a free pass for a long time for winning the World Series. KW has to take a lot of blame for this year's mess.

fusillirob1983
07-29-2007, 01:00 PM
Williams knows the offense hitting terribly for a couple months, putting injury prone hitters throughout the lineup, and putting together a very risky bullpen together are his fault. Not that Ozzie's the best manager in baseball, but he's not going anywhere. Kenny knows Ozzie didn't have the team to get it done. I can't believe I just took the time to post this.

Lip Man 1
07-29-2007, 01:03 PM
I think this is a long shot anyway but I suggested Leyland because he still feels a debt of gratitude to the organization and JR for giving him his first job in the big leagues.

Granted he said he wasn't interested when JR flew out to meet him in 97 to feel him out about the Sox job after Bevington got the boot but that was ten years ago and his displeasure at how the Sox treated his friend, Gene Lamont may have abated.

Regarding LaRussa.....it's no secret that he was very close to becomming the Sox new manager in 97 as well.

Dave Nightengale in the print edition of The Sporting News had a long story talking about the handshake agreement between LaRussa and JR after meeting for dinner in Chicago.

Tony was returning with a multi year, multi million dollar deal and he was bringing along Dave Duncan.

After hearing about this, Ron Schueler threatened to leave if the deal was signed. He didn't care for Tony and didn't like the fact that LaRussa would have 'final say' about the big league roster.

Assuming Nightengale's story was correct and from what I know it was, JR felt that losing Schueler would be a bigger blow to the organization then Tony's hiring would have helped and the deal was never signed.

I am going to contact the Cards this off season to see if Tony would agree to an interview and if so, certainly this subject will be brought up.

Lip

esbrechtel
07-29-2007, 01:46 PM
"Big name" free agents are not the answer. Darin Erstad is a recent "big name" acquisition who was pretty worthless. Find us more Tadahito Iguchis, please.
Oh yeah! David Ortiz, David Wright, A-Rod, Pujols, Santana, Erstad....yep, hes a big name alright....

ws05champs
07-29-2007, 01:55 PM
Ozzie has built up a lot of capital from winning the World Series. He won't be fired for one bad season (which is largely not his fault) no matter what the media morons have to say and especially if the Sox continue with a strong finish.

A. Cavatica
07-29-2007, 01:59 PM
Oh yeah! David Ortiz, David Wright, A-Rod, Pujols, Santana, Erstad....yep, hes a big name alright....

His name is about all Erstad brought to the table.

You want some more proof that a big name is a bad reason to sign someone? Mike Hampton. Nomar Garciaparra. Barry Zito.

Jose Contreras...

A. Cavatica
07-29-2007, 01:59 PM
Ozzie has built up a lot of capital from winning the World Series. He won't be fired for one bad season (which is largely not his fault) no matter what the media morons have to say and especially if the Sox continue with a strong finish.

Here's hoping he gets fired for two (last year and this year)!

esbrechtel
07-29-2007, 02:54 PM
Reason to go after a big name....Jim Thome....and last season was not a bad season...we had a mediocore second half

TheVulture
07-29-2007, 02:59 PM

I agree. He's the only guy I can think of I'd like, but I don't see Ozzie going anywhere.

Viva Medias B's
07-29-2007, 06:23 PM
I doubt Torre would take the SOX job and as for Girardi, he's the next Yankees manager in waiting.

Girardi had a rough time with Jeffrey Loria. With that in mind, how would Giradri as a Yankee manager be able to handle George?

SluggersAway
07-29-2007, 06:31 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Ozzie is gone next year.

The wild talk, lefty-righty garbage, strange match-ups, bullpen handling, resting on his laurels, and all out lack of focus, determination, and laissez-faire attitude...it just adds up to too much.

He just doesn't seem to really understand the intricacies of the game.

He is not the brightest bulb in the bunch.

the1tab
07-29-2007, 10:48 PM
Maybe Hawk would fire him again...