PDA

View Full Version : Anyone out there cheering for Bonds?

PeteWard
07-29-2007, 03:48 AM
Please read this and then shut the **** up.

http://deadspin.com/sports/barry-bonds/jeff-pearlman-on-his-subject-barry-bonds-281739.php

Excerpt: Do you root for someone who refused to sign a ball for your kid? Who ignored you when you asked for advice? Who told you you couldn't carry his jock? I still often think of Dan Peltier, the former Giant backup who brought his young son to the team's Family Day. When Bonds asked the kid to name his favorite ballplayer, he said, "My dad!" To which Bonds replied, "Why? He never plays."

WSox597
07-29-2007, 07:47 AM
I've also read that Bonds and Griffey Jr. won't sign autographs for kids unless they get paid for each autograph. Man, if that's true, with all of the millions they make, that's pretty sad.

Imagine a 7 year old asking for an autograph, and being told "Ten bucks, kid."

getonbckthr
07-29-2007, 10:49 AM
Here's the unfortunate thing. In this world today you have these Sports Memorabilia (sp) guys paying little kids to get autographs then taking the item and getting 10 times for it.

Jjav829
07-29-2007, 10:57 AM
No.

NewYawk718
07-29-2007, 11:27 AM
I am no doubt cheering for one of the greatest players of our generation.

voodoochile
07-29-2007, 11:29 AM
I am no doubt cheering for one of the greatest CHEATERS of our generation.

Fixed your post...:rolleyes:

Edit: I don't get it. How can you root for a player we know cheated? I mean it's one thing to claim the steroids weren't against the rules (though they were illegal) or to claim that you agree with Bonds when he says he didn't know what he was taking (yeah, right), but what about the integrity of the game? Do you openly support allowing the players to take whatever they want in an effort to break records and get big paydays? Do you thing anything should be legal so long as the game has more runs, faster players and better athletes? What about the day which is coming when robots could be trained to play and probably hit a home run every time they come up? Will that be okay too?

chaerulez
07-29-2007, 11:29 AM
The only people cheering for Bonds are either idiots from that intelligent and cultured of city San Francisco, or people who watch nothing but ESPN and believe Bonds is innocent as a result.

Thomes Forearm
07-29-2007, 11:37 AM
Not at all.

But watching Bud squirm on Costas Now was hilarious.

soxfanreggie
07-29-2007, 11:45 AM
You can guarantee that most of them are only cheering for him because he's on the Giants. If he was on the Dodgers for example, they would be cheering for him and the Giants fans would be booing him.

RKMeibalane
07-29-2007, 12:24 PM
Nope. That man doesn't deserve to be cheered.

kevingrt
07-29-2007, 12:34 PM
I am. I love seeing records broken. It's history I want to see him do it. Sorry I know I am weird

DoItAllJoeHall
07-29-2007, 12:44 PM
Edit: I don't get it. How can you root for a player we know cheated? I mean it's one thing to claim the steroids weren't against the rules (though they were illegal) or to claim that you agree with Bonds when he says he didn't know what he was taking (yeah, right), but what about the integrity of the game?

I never even understood this argument, because it's like saying stabbing someone as you are sliding into second base isn't against the rules, because there's nothing in the rules against it. It's illegal, and common sense that it's against the rules.

It's a shame because Bonds could have been known as one of the best hitters in the history of the game WITHOUT steroids, but he got jealous of the exposure McGwire and Sosa were getting...

thomas35forever
07-29-2007, 01:05 PM
It'll just be a matter of time before ESPN makes a TV movie out of this and portrays Bonds as the victim.

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-29-2007, 01:06 PM
Will not cheer for him. I don't even want to see it get broken.

downstairs
07-29-2007, 02:08 PM
No, but I really want him to tie it today so he has to go to LA to break it. (Of course he still may not, and will sit some games I'm sure).

Wouldn't it be sweet poetic justice that forever we'll see the replay of this historic event with 30,000 booing like crazy?

downstairs
07-29-2007, 02:09 PM
It'll just be a matter of time before ESPN makes a TV movie out of this and portrays Bonds as the victim.

Already done:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0783620/

mrfourni
07-29-2007, 03:14 PM
After the strory that Ron Kittle tells, I could never root for that POS.

A link to the story for those who never heard it

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/saraceno/2005-06-14-saraceno-bonds_x.htm

hose
07-29-2007, 03:36 PM

WSox597
07-29-2007, 03:49 PM
After the strory that Ron Kittle tells, I could never root for that POS.

I saw that story on another board, but figured I'd get in trouble for linking to it since race was mentioned. Bonds is a self-serving POS, no matter the color.

I hope he gets stuck on 754 for the rest of his career. Maybe the Feds will serve him with papers as he's rounding third base and arrest him before he crosses the plate. It would serve him right.

It would be amusing to see him tested before every game to prove he's clean. Almost everywhere you go nowadays for a job, there's a drug screen as a condition of employment. That's because of idiots like this, and those other druggies from the '60s and '70s.

And I saw those druggies first hand, and lots of them were wasted on construction sites, working with cranes and torches. Not a good idea. Right now, after every injury, no matter how small, it's drug screen time.

Thanks a lot, all of you stupid hippies, nice legacy. :angry:

voodoochile
07-29-2007, 03:57 PM
I saw that story on another board, but figured I'd get in trouble for linking to it since race was mentioned. Bonds is a self-serving POS, no matter the color.

I hope he gets stuck on 754 for the rest of his career. Maybe the Feds will serve him with papers as he's rounding third base and arrest him before he crosses the plate. It would serve him right.

It would be amusing to see him tested before every game to prove he's clean. Almost everywhere you go nowadays for a job, there's a drug screen as a condition of employment. That's because of idiots like this, and those other druggies from the '60s and '70s.

And I saw those druggies first hand, and lots of them were wasted on construction sites, working with cranes and torches. Not a good idea. Right now, after every injury, no matter how small, it's drug screen time.

Thanks a lot, all of you stupid hippies, nice legacy. :angry:

Drugs have been around a LOT longer than the hippies. Cocaine (for example) was widely believed to be a tonic to cure all of your ills back in the late 1800's and early 1900's. It was an ingredient in the original Coca-Cola recipe (name start to make sense now?)

sorry for the hijack...

eastchicagosoxfan
07-29-2007, 04:24 PM
I'm not sure if I find it ironic or utterly predictable that San Francisco, of all cities, has embraced Bonds.

chaerulez
07-29-2007, 04:46 PM
I am. I love seeing records broken. It's history I want to see him do it. Sorry I know I am weird

No you're not weird, just ignorant to the game of baseball and an enabler of the mockery steroid WWE freaks like Bonds, Sosa, and McGwire have made it become.

WhiteSox5187
07-29-2007, 04:58 PM
Barry Bonds and this whole thing makes me sick to my stomach, it really does...I'm pissed off at myself for actually believing that 1998 chase and stuff...Bonds is just a horrible human being and I hope he never ever gets into the HOF...it does bring me some comfort in knowing that at least Bonds never got a ring.

VenturaFan23
07-29-2007, 05:00 PM
I am no doubt cheering for one of the greatest players of our generation.

A job for ESPN awaits :rolleyes:

NewYawk718
07-29-2007, 06:08 PM
A job for ESPN awaits :rolleyes:

Before the alleged steroid use bonds was the only member of the 500 home run, 500 stolen base club. Bonds also was top 5 in Career OPS, Won 3 MVPS, 8 all star selections, top 10 career in slg %, top 10 in OBP %, top 10 in walks, top 10 in runs, top 5 in intentional walks along with 8 golden gloves. You can say what you want about him as a person but as a baseball player he was/is damn good. I believe players voted him as the 90's player of the decade over the kid aka Ken griffey jr. Also in regards to the kittles story, players such as orel hersheisher, omar vizquel have said barry has been great with their kids, who's to say that Barry just flat out didn't like kittles.

Viva Medias B's
07-29-2007, 06:27 PM
I'm not cheering for Bonds.

:farmer
I'm not either.

voodoochile
07-29-2007, 06:38 PM
Before the alleged steroid use bonds was the only member of the 500 home run, 500 stolen base club. Bonds also was top 5 in Career OPS, Won 3 MVPS, 8 all star selections, top 10 career in slg %, top 10 in OBP %, top 10 in walks, top 10 in runs, top 5 in intentional walks along with 8 golden gloves. You can say what you want about him as a person but as a baseball player he was/is damn good. I believe players voted him as the 90's player of the decade over the kid aka Ken griffey jr. Also in regards to the kittles story, players such as orel hersheisher, omar vizquel have said barry has been great with their kids, who's to say that Barry just flat out didn't like kittles.

Alleged? He admitted he used it in his testimony. The only issue is whether he knew what he was using. If you really want to believe that Barroid believed it was flaxseed oil then there's this lovely little suspension bridge that goes across the San Francisco Bay that I just happen to own and am willing to part with for a very reasonable price. Make me an offer. I'm sure we can work something out...

mrfourni
07-29-2007, 07:17 PM

For every orel hersheiser and omar vizquel who speak highly of bonds, their are a lot more people who have some disturbing stories to tell about barry. Just read Game of Shadows if you don't believe me.

i've never met hersheiser, vizquel or bonds, but i have met Ron Kittle many times, and he seems like a very nice guy.

Frater Perdurabo
07-29-2007, 07:20 PM
I'm not rooting for Bonds.

I think he belongs in the HOF on the basis of what he did before he started juicing.

I hope that when he gets inducted, that his official plaque only includes his milestones through 1999 or 2000, and also includes his grand jury testimony. I hope his plaque excludes the single-season and career home run records.

Tragg
07-29-2007, 07:23 PM
It's inevitable, so I'm rooting that he does it quickly and we get this dog and pony show over with.

thomas35forever
07-29-2007, 07:45 PM
Why root for Bonds? I think I lost a lot of respect for him after reading that story about him in SI a few years back. For those who don't remember, it included Bonds telling a woman to disappear in a very violent way. 'Roids, anyone? He is and forever will be a POS.

areilly
07-29-2007, 07:49 PM
Before the alleged steroid use bonds was the only member of the 500 home run, 500 stolen base club. Bonds also was top 5 in Career OPS, Won 3 MVPS, 8 all star selections, top 10 career in slg %, top 10 in OBP %, top 10 in walks, top 10 in runs, top 5 in intentional walks along with 8 golden gloves. You can say what you want about him as a person but as a baseball player he was/is damn good.

Bonds hit #500 in 2001, and there's no way anyone can say that was a "clean" season for him.

And regarding your statement that Barry's steroid use is "alleged," let it also be known that Nixon's involvement in Watergate was never proven in a court of law, either. But we know how that worked out regardless.

I work as a writer and journalist, and I know there are other writers and journalists on this board, and I think all of us would agree the investigation into Bonds done for Game of Shadows was impeccable and - more notably - irrefutable.

Why hasn't Barry sued for libel? For slander? For character defamation? Why weren't Fainaru-Wada and Williams discredited for fabricating the whole thing? Why hasn't anyone been able to prove the alleged falsehood of their book?

Good numbers or not, we know Bonds' body of work isn't the result of an honest career.

Viva Medias B's
07-29-2007, 07:49 PM
I think he belongs in the HOF on the basis of what he did before he started juicing.

This is where I have a problem. It's my opinion that if a portion of Bonds' career included use of performance enhancing drugs, his entire career is tainted. This is the old theory that in true/false questions, if a portion of a statement is false the entire statement is false.

Hence, he does not belong in the Hall of Fame.

Frater Perdurabo
07-29-2007, 08:29 PM
This is where I have a problem. It's my opinion that if a portion of Bonds' career included use of performance enhancing drugs, his entire career is tainted. This is the old theory that in true/false questions, if a portion of a statement is false the entire statement is false.

Hence, he does not belong in the Hall of Fame.

This is the classic McCoy-Spock debate. You're going with Spock. I'm going with Bones. Pure logic alone does not dictate the intracacies of dealing with human beings or baseball.

IMHO, if Bonds juiced throughout his career, then his entire career is tainted. But if he was clean until 1999 or 2000, then those numbers are legit. FWLIW, for me it's the same argument with Pete Rose. He belongs in the Hall for what he did as a player, unless it's proven - or he admits - that he bet on baseball while he was a player. Of course, fair punishment to Bonds and Rose would be to wait until after each has died before inducting them.

chisoxfanatic
07-29-2007, 08:48 PM
Definitely not! And, when the inevitable does and he breaks the record, I'll be pulling hard for ARod to quickly break his record!

chaerulez
07-31-2007, 10:59 PM

What else can we expect from a New Yorker? He has to defend steroids because two of the biggest roiders, Giambi and Sheffield played for his team.

chisoxmike
07-31-2007, 11:35 PM
No.

I find it funny that the Giants fans are the ONLY ones who think he's pure and root for this jagbag.

Nellie_Fox
08-01-2007, 12:21 AM
Also in regards to the kittles story, players such as orel hersheisher, omar vizquel have said barry has been great with their kids, who's to say that Barry just flat out didn't like kittles.First, who is "kittles?" Second, even if he disliked Kittle (with a capital K, since it's a proper noun,) why did he have to bring race into his refusal? Bonds is a guy who trots out the race card at the drop of a hat, yet he himself uses race as a reason to refuse to sign?

WhiteSox1983
08-01-2007, 01:16 AM
Man, when I was a kid I remember Bret Butler signing autographs for at least a hour before every game when he was on the Dodgers. He was not only a good player, but he was a soldier in life, and a GREAT person. I remember one time there was a line before the game all the way up the steps from the field to the concourse where they sell all the dodger dogs. He signed every damn ball, jersey, card etc. There was one girl who requested one of Butlers bats. He asked someone from the dugout to get him one, the assistant came back with a bat. Butler signed it and that was it.

Thats what I hate about baseball... Bonds, Griffey and some of the other morons go out of their ways to be evil pricks. I wish there were more players like Butler and Sean Casey.

TDog
08-01-2007, 01:22 AM
This is the classic McCoy-Spock debate. You're going with Spock. I'm going with Bones. Pure logic alone does not dictate the intracacies of dealing with human beings or baseball.

IMHO, if Bonds juiced throughout his career, then his entire career is tainted. But if he was clean until 1999 or 2000, then those numbers are legit. FWLIW, for me it's the same argument with Pete Rose. He belongs in the Hall for what he did as a player, unless it's proven - or he admits - that he bet on baseball while he was a player. Of course, fair punishment to Bonds and Rose would be to wait until after each has died before inducting them.

If you believe Bonds juiced late in his career after he put up Hall of Fame numbers, he still doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame. If you believe Pete Rose gambled on baseball while managing, Pete Rose doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame. If you believe Joe Jackson accepted $10,000 to lose the 1919 World Series, Joe Jackson doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame, no matter what he accomplished.

It's the Hall of Fame. It's not about numbers. It's about greatness and honoring what makes the game great. If you do something before your you can be voted in that brings shame on the game, you don't belong in the Hall of Fame.

I wouldn't vote for McGwire. I wouldn't vote for Sosa. I wouldn't vote for Bonds. He'll have the home run record, but he brought shame to the game.

I might be in the minority, but no one has ever been a unanimous selection to the Hall of Fame. People didn't vote for Henry Aaron when his name came up. The anti-Bonds voters, I hope, will be more numerous, but their position is more defensible.

The Critic
08-01-2007, 06:27 AM
I'm not cheering for him because I don't like him as a public figure.
I don't know him as a person, never will, but what he has put out for public consumption is not to my liking.
The records don't mean very much to me anymore, so that part of it is almost irrelevant. I like what I've seen and read about Henry Aaron and I don't like what I've seen and read of Bonds, so that's why I find it a shame that Bonds will pass Aaron.

Frontman
08-01-2007, 08:11 AM
I never even understood this argument, because it's like saying stabbing someone as you are sliding into second base isn't against the rules, because there's nothing in the rules against it. It's illegal, and common sense that it's against the rules.

It's a shame because Bonds could have been known as one of the best hitters in the history of the game WITHOUT steroids, but he got jealous of the exposure McGwire and Sosa were getting...

Neither is kidnapping mentioned in MLB's rulebook. When we take on the Twins? Kidnap Santana and Morneu. When we play the Indians? Kidnap Sabathia. That way, we don't have to face them, and we can go about releasing them after they leave town.

Frontman
08-01-2007, 08:35 AM
You know, I have to say something about the HoF argument. Has Bonds been HoF caliber in his career? In the stat category, absolutely. But one thing most of us forget is that the HoF isn't a given, it isn't a "right." It's an honor, bestowed on those who have shown themselves to be the very best.

As many have pointed out, there are a ton of jerks who have been elected to major sports HoF. But just because Ty Cobb is in the Hall for his on field performance, nowhere is it written or stated that XXX amount of homers, XXX amount of stolen bases, XXX amount of wins are automatic entries into the Hall. The sport writers of America don't HAVE to let Bonds in as many have said. Hell, if they decide to never let in another baseball player ever, that is the sport writers decision. Fans can argue about it all day and all night (whitesoxinteractive.com never closes) but in the end, Bonds' place in history will be recorded.

Bonds' record will be a part of the history and the museum of the Baseball Hall of Fame. With that, his place in baseball's history is assured. If the sports writers decide he doesn't deserve a plaque in the actual Hall? That is for them to decide.

Frontman
08-01-2007, 08:36 AM
It's inevitable, so I'm rooting that he does it quickly and we get this dog and pony show over with.

I hope he does it early in the evening, then A-Rod can hit number 500 later in the evening, so the attention will be taken off of Bonds just for a bit.

spiffie
08-01-2007, 10:59 AM
I hope he does it early in the evening, then A-Rod can hit number 500 later in the evening, so the attention will be taken off of Bonds just for a bit.
This is a testament to just how big an ******* Bonds is, that people are actually rooting for Alex Rodriguez to succeed as long as it would take spotlight/surpass Bonds in any way.

HawkDJ
08-01-2007, 11:10 AM
As many have pointed out, there are a ton of jerks who have been elected to major sports HoF. But just because Ty Cobb is in the Hall for his on field performance, nowhere is it written or stated that XXX amount of homers, XXX amount of stolen bases, XXX amount of wins are automatic entries into the Hall. The sport writers of America don't HAVE to let Bonds in as many have said.

I think with his numbers and the fact that he hasn't been proven guilty of anything yet, it would be a disgrace to baseball not to let him in.

TDog
08-01-2007, 11:12 AM
This is a testament to just how big an ******* Bonds is, that people are actually rooting for Alex Rodriguez to succeed as long as it would take spotlight/surpass Bonds in any way.

I'm not an Alex Rodriguez fan either, but it would make for interesting coverage. The day Rickey Henderson stole his record base, held it high and pronounced he was the greatest of all time, Nolan Ryan pitched his seventh no-hitter. The media took that as Nolan Ryan putting him in his place.

jenn2080
08-01-2007, 11:47 AM
No way in hell would I ever root for him! I despise him. He does not deserve to hold a record that some of the greats have been a part of. He is a disgrace to baseball.

SOXPHILE
08-01-2007, 12:16 PM
I think with his numbers and the fact that he hasn't been proven guilty of anything yet, it would be a disgrace to baseball not to let him in.

WRONG. HE is the disgrace to baseball. All you people saying "He hasn't been proven guilty of anything" are forgetting two things

1) This isn't a court of law.

2) THERE IS GRAND JURY TESTIMONY OF HIM ADMITTING TO USING STEROIDS /HGH

Got it ? What more "proof" do you need ? The fact that well after the age of 30, he put on 30-40 pound of muscle mass, his head grew in size, and that his career numbers suddenly began spiking well after one would be considered in their prime. You know, if I tell a little kid standing next to a cookie jar not to eat any cookies, leave the room for a minute, and come back to see the cookie jar tipped over, and crumbs all over the little kids face, although I didn't actually SEE him eat the cookies, and can't really PROVE it, it's a pretty safe assumption that he did do it. Wake the hell up people.

Goose
08-01-2007, 12:56 PM
WRONG. HE is the disgrace to baseball. All you people saying "He hasn't been proven guilty of anything" are forgetting two things

1) This isn't a court of law.

2) THERE IS GRAND JURY TESTIMONY OF HIM ADMITTING TO USING STEROIDS /HGH

Got it ? What more "proof" do you need ? The fact that well after the age of 30, he put on 30-40 pound of muscle mass, his head grew in size, and that his career numbers suddenly began spiking well after one would be considered in their prime. You know, if I tell a little kid standing next to a cookie jar not to eat any cookies, leave the room for a minute, and come back to see the cookie jar tipped over, and crumbs all over the little kids face, although I didn't actually SEE him eat the cookies, and can't really PROVE it, it's a pretty safe assumption that he did do it. Wake the hell up people.

word

Frontman
08-01-2007, 01:44 PM

Hell, I'm rooting for A-Rod to do it today/tomorrow; how's THAT for showing how much I can't stand Bonds? I'd rather see a Sox pitcher give up a career milestone homer to A-Rod than to see Bonds get this record.

Frontman
08-01-2007, 01:49 PM

Yeah, the same can be said about that guy who broke Roger Maris' single season record. They should let him in on his first ballot......

http://content.clearchannel.com/Photos/sports_photos/MLB/MISC/mark_mcgwire_congress_GI.jpg
"I don't want to talk about the past."

Sorry, it isn't a shame or a black eye or a disgrace for sportswriters to keep them out of the Hall. They will have their page of baseball history, that's for certain. They can have an entire wing to this era's group of "superstars." But should they get a plaque?

I'd leave it up to the veterans committee. If it was up to me, if I was a sportswriter, I wouldn't choose not to let in suspected and known steroid users in; and let the veterans committee decide if they should be honored in the Hall.

You know, judged by a jury of their own peers.

Dick Allen
08-01-2007, 02:18 PM
I'll be rooting for Bonds - to have a career-ending injury before he ties the record.

voodoochile
08-01-2007, 02:28 PM

:hurt
"Who stole my cookies from the cookie jar?'

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/65x90/5386.jpg
"Not me"

"Yes you!"

"Couldn't be!"

"Then who?"

"Mac stole your cookies from the cookie jar!"

http://content.clearchannel.com/Photos/sports_photos/MLB/MISC/mark_mcgwire_congress_GI.jpg
"Who me?"

"yes you!"

Couldn't be!"

"Then who?"

"ShamME* stole your cookies from the cookie jar (he did it in the past and though I loathe to speak about the past, I simply had to speak up here.)"

:nandrolone
"Who me?"

"Yes you!"

"Couldn't be!"

"Then who?"

"I No speak the english so good, but as it has come to my attention that there has been a veritable plethora of cookie stealing going on and I find it simply disgraceful that other insolent troglodytes have been besmirching the game I love so dearly I will say this - Barry stole your cookies from the cookie jar!'

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/65x90/3918.jpg
"Who me?"

"Yes you!"

"Couldn't be!"

"Then who?"

"I didn't steal no ****ing cookies. Unless you count the one I took from that damned kid seeking my autograph! Everyone wants a piece of Barry! Barry's not having none of it! I won't sit here and listen to this crap! Babe Ruth couldn't carry my jock! If you are looking for a ****ing cookie thief, you should look for a cookie mastermind! I say Bud stole your ****ing cookies from your ****ing cookie jar (or at least turned a blind eye to all the cookies being stolen in the last several years thus allowing you to be robbed in the process!)"

:tool
"Who me?"

"Yes you!"

"Couldn't be!"

"Then who?"

"I am not aware of any cookies haven been stolen under my watch of the cookie jar. In fact at one time it wasn't even considered illegal to pilfer a few tasty morsels from said cookie jar so long as no one caught you doing it. I only know of one true cookie thief and I will tell you about him - Jose stole the cookies from the cookie jar!"

:canseco
"Who me?"

"Yes you!"

"Couldn't be!"

"Then who?"

"Much as I would love to single out the true cookie thieves in MLB, it costs me too much to talk about it here. I would suggest you purchase and read my upcoming book which will tell you all about the cookie thieves in the game of which there are many including possibly even a certain SS turned 3B playing for the New York American League club, but you'll have to buy my book to find out if ARod stole the cookies from the cookie jar..."

"sigh..."

jenn2080
08-01-2007, 02:32 PM

"Not me"

"Yes you!"

"Couldn't be!"

"Then who?"

"Who me?"

"yes you!"

Couldn't be!"

"Then who?"

"ShamME* stole your cookies from the cookie jar (he did it in the past and though I loathe to speak about the past, I simply had to speak up here.)"

"Who me?"

"Yes you!"

"Couldn't be!"

"Then who?"

"I No speak the english so good, but as it has come to my attention that there has been a veritable plethora of cookie stealing going on and I find it simply disgraceful that other insolent troglodytes have been besmirching the game I love so dearly I will say this - Barry stole your cookies from the cookie jar!'

"Who me?"

"Yes you!"

"Couldn't be!"

"Then who?"

"I didn't steal no ****ing cookies. Unless you count the one I took from that damned kid seeking my autograph! Everyone wants a piece of Barry! Barry's not having none of it! I won't sit here and listen to this crap! Babe Ruth couldn't carry my jock! If you are looking for a ****ing cookie thief, you should look for a cookie mastermind! I say Bud stole your ****ing cookies from your ****ing cookie jar (or at least turned a blind eye to all the cookies being stolen in the last several years thus allowing you to be robbed in the process!)"

"Who me?"

"Yes you!"

"Couldn't be!"

"Then who?"

"I am not aware of any cookies haven been stolen under my watch of the cookie jar. In fact at one time it wasn't even considered illegal to pilfer a few tasty morsels from said cookie jar so long as no one caught you doing it. I only know of one true cookie thief and I will tell you about him - Jose stole the cookies from the cookie jar!"

"Who me?"

"Yes you!"

"Couldn't be!"

"Then who?"

"Much as I would love to single out the true cookie thieves in MLB, it costs me too much to talk about it here. I would suggest you purchase and read my upcoming book which will tell you all about the cookie thieves in the game of which there are many including possibly even a certain SS turned 3B playing for the New York American League club, but you'll have to buy my book to find out if ARod stole the cookies from the cookie jar..."

"sigh..."

:rolling: :gulp:

Domeshot17
08-01-2007, 02:54 PM
Im with the group, I don't condone or celebrate cheating in anyway. Bonds is a cheater.

Frontman
08-01-2007, 03:15 PM

"Not me"

"Yes you!"

"Couldn't be!"

"Then who?"

"Who me?"

"yes you!"

Couldn't be!"

"Then who?"

"Who me?"

"Yes you!"

"Couldn't be!"

"Then who?"

"Who me?"

"Yes you!"

"Couldn't be!"

"Then who?"

"Who me?"

"Yes you!"

"Couldn't be!"

"Then who?"

"Who me?"

"Yes you!"

"Couldn't be!"

"Then who?"

"sigh..."

POTW material here. Whereas my pic posts are paintings, this one is a Rembrandt.

Fenway
08-01-2007, 03:21 PM
Citizens of San Francisco are the only ones.

ode to veeck
08-01-2007, 08:19 PM
I'm not sure if I find it ironic or utterly predictable that San Francisco, of all cities, has embraced Bonds.

I don't think you can say today that San Francisco "has embraced" Barry Bonds. His fans are a minority around here too.

HotelWhiteSox
08-01-2007, 09:22 PM
I don't even care about the steroids, he is just a piece of crap in general, the way he treats people, reports about teammates, comes off in the media, then tries a 'regular guy' nice guy routine at the All Star Game. I can just see him explaining to his kids, as they ask why he gets booed and hate everywhere he goes, he'll say something like 'look in the mirror, we're different from them'.

It's still pretty meaningless to me, I just don't put much stock into records anymore, as I've accepted it as part of the game. It wouldn't shock me if anyone on the Sox was a big time user, but yes, I think personality definately hurts him, as seen with Giambi, one of the top users. Giambi's usage took the MVP away from Frank, but ARod and Jeter still get booed louder when they come play here.

Bucky F. Dent
08-01-2007, 09:27 PM
No. I will not cheer.

But I hope he breaks it in L.A. so he can be booed mercilessly as he rounds the bases.

Frontman
08-01-2007, 09:43 PM
No. I will not cheer.

But I hope he breaks it in L.A. so he can be booed mercilessly as he rounds the bases.

As some have pointed out, he appreciates being booed. To me, I would either sit in silence, or as soon as the ball hit the stands, I'd get up and walk out of the game.

pierzynski07
08-01-2007, 10:53 PM
As some have pointed out, he appreciates being booed. To me, I would either sit in silence, or as soon as the ball hit the stands, I'd get up and walk out of the game.
I'd rather leave my seat and get a hot dog during the atbats.

Sox
08-01-2007, 11:18 PM
http://www.theonion.com/content/news/barry_bonds_home_run_scandal
Barry Bonds Home-Run Scandal Somehow Becomes Feel-Good Sports Story Of Summer

Frontman
08-02-2007, 08:34 AM
http://www.theonion.com/content/news/barry_bonds_home_run_scandal
Barry Bonds Home-Run Scandal Somehow Becomes Feel-Good Sports Story Of Summer

Yeah, because A-Rod hasn't hit his 500 yet. Darn Sox pitchers, can't they do ANYTHING right?!?!?!?

soxfanreggie
08-02-2007, 10:11 PM
Jon Lovitz ripping Selig a new one. Interesting commentary by him, but a lot of it is the truth.

RadioheadRocks
08-02-2007, 10:27 PM
I'm with the group, I don't condone or celebrate cheating in anyway. Bonds is a cheater.

Hey maybe Joey Greco and his camera crew can ambush Bonds at home plate! :rolling:

mwc44
08-04-2007, 08:11 AM
No way in hell would I ever root for him! I despise him. He does not deserve to hold a record that some of the greats have been a part of. He is a disgrace to baseball.

Im with the group, I don't condone or celebrate cheating in anyway. Bonds is a cheater.

AMEN!!!! But apparently one future HOF'er disagrees with most of us:

Maddux on Bonds: (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070804&content_id=2128967&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

"I wish him the best because I respect what he's done during the last 22 years," said (Greg) Maddux, 41 and the winner of 340 games in 22 seasons. "I've had an opportunity to watch him and play against him. Even though we've never been teammates, I can still respect what he does on the field and want to see him do well, but just obviously not against us. I've always thought he's played the game right."

When did Maddux lose HIS mind? I guess he feels there's a difference between playing the game "right" and "pre-game preparation."

greenpeach
08-04-2007, 10:10 AM
AMEN!!!! But apparently one future HOF'er disagrees with most of us:

Maddux on Bonds: (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070804&content_id=2128967&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

When did Maddux lose HIS mind? I guess he feels there's a difference between playing the game "right" and "pre-game preparation."

He's giving the PC answer. Who needs unwanted publicity ?

kevin57
08-04-2007, 11:17 AM
No, I won't be cheering.

But I do hope he breaks this record already so that ESPN can move on to its next cult bio.

Then, please Barry, quit baseball this after you've broken the record so we can forget about you, or absent that, please SF do NOT offer this guy decent money next year. He brings little to nothing to a successful team.

HerzogVon
08-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Bonds is not a particularly likeable person; but then, most of the media doesn't like him either. That earns him at least a few points in my book.

The same media that excoriates Bonds and McGwire will soon be pushing Sammy "So-so" for the HOF. ( He not only blew his hat size up to Rondo Hatton proportions, the smiley weasel was caught using a corked bat, as well! ) This push will - of course - be led by the Chicago chapter, which is hell bent on getting every Cub, save possibly for Dave "Really Rotten Guy" Kingman, into the HOF. This, while Billy Pierce has to settle for a statue.

It ain't fair, it ain't right - but it's Chicago. :angry:

Nellie_Fox
08-05-2007, 01:25 AM
Bonds is not a particularly likeable person; but then, most of the media doesn't like him either. That earns him at least a few points in my book.

The same media that excoriates Bonds and McGwire will soon be pushing Sammy "So-so" for the HOF. ( He not only blew his hat size up to Rondo Hatton proportions, the smiley weasel was caught using a corked bat, as well! ) This push will - of course - be led by the Chicago chapter, which is hell bent on getting every Cub, save possibly for Dave "Really Rotten Guy" Kingman, into the HOF. This, while Billy Pierce has to settle for a statue.

It ain't fair, it ain't right - but it's Chicago. :angry:I'll be very surprised if you're correct. I think Sammy's good will with the press is gone.

bigfoot
08-05-2007, 10:48 AM
I'll be very surprised if you're correct. I think Sammy's good will with the press is gone.

I'd have to disagree with you on this one Nellie. Scammy's good will was gone, when it was apparent that the Cubs organization wanted him to leave at long last and the mediots were more than eager to leap upon that bandwagon...evermind yet another in a long line of crappy Cub seasons. What better scapegoat than someone who "left the ballpark" and didn't play the last game. Yep, that's why the Blue Peril didn't win that year......! Ask Phil, DIck, Jay, et. al.

But when it comes to the HOF, perish the thought that the same yappers won't be riding that cresting wave of Cubness in an effort to get anything into the Hall. I cite the mock horror that surrounds the flailing efforts to get Santo into the hall with less than stellar credentials. One would think that Chicago would be attacked by Tourists(never could spelled) if moanin' Ronnie doesn't get a plaque in Cooperstown.

Many, if not all the BBTN yappers have already bestowed the entry into the Hall upon Scammy Soso, why would the scribes in Chicago be the ones to leap off the bandwagon?