PDA

View Full Version : Drays-Astros deal

Domeshot17
07-29-2007, 01:46 AM
Saw this on ESPN, Devil Rays traded Ty Wiggington to the Astros for Dan Wheeler.

letsgosox1592
07-29-2007, 01:50 AM
Saw this on ESPN, Devil Rays traded Ty Wiggington to the Astros for Dan Wheeler.
Mike Lamb is going to be gone and Wiggington is the new starting 3rd basemen for Astros next year. Wheeler is nice addition to the D-Rays bullpen

Tragg
07-29-2007, 08:38 AM
Mike Lamb is going to be gone and Wiggington is the new starting 3rd basemen for Astros next year. Wheeler is nice addition to the D-Rays bullpen
Wheeler is a middle reliever who has problems with gopher balls. Whittington is only so-so but a position player seems like a lot for a middle reliever. Wheeler's ratio is pretty good, so maybe the rays think they can fix the rest of his problems.

Anway, I wonder what the Rays would give us for Thornton?

The Astros are weird about their 3B. They never liked Ensberg (even during his big season), they don't like Lamb. This guy hasn't played that long, but he's 30 and his numbers are okay, but no better. That fits with the Astros The Astros also have all of these inexperienced outfielders...but they are all 30; they seem young because they were brought up so late.

russ99
07-29-2007, 10:28 AM
Wheeler is a middle reliever who has problems with gopher balls. Whittington is only so-so but a position player seems like a lot for a middle reliever. Wheeler's ratio is pretty good, so maybe the rays think they can fix the rest of his problems.

Anway, I wonder what the Rays would give us for Thornton?

The Astros are weird about their 3B. They never liked Ensberg (even during his big season), they don't like Lamb. This guy hasn't played that long, but he's 30 and his numbers are okay, but no better. That fits with the Astros The Astros also have all of these inexperienced outfielders...but they are all 30; they seem young because they were brought up so late.

Wheeler has had his ups and downs so this deal is more like your questionable player for my questionable player. This also is like a repeat of the Aubrey Huff deal last year, but Wigginton can't leave as a FA until after next season.

The Astros like Lamb, but he's never been able to hit righthanders well enough to claim an everyday job, and is a platoon player at 3 positions.

He's also an FA in the offseason and will get a nice pay rise, so I look for the Astros to deal him before the deadline. If there's one player I hope the Astros don't deal it's Mark Loretta. He's been the best hitter on the club day in and day out. They should re-sign him for a few more years.

I could write a book about the flaws of Morgan Ensberg, and the sooner he's an ex-Astro the better. I'm actually shocked he's been shown the level of patience by Astros brass as he has the last few years.

Jason Lane's right behind Ensberg on the way out. He has potential but now he's 31 and he hasn't put it all together.

As for the rest of the Astros OF, there's top NL RBI man Carlos Lee, stellar rookie CF Hunter Pence (who the Astros are moving to RF and getting a CF in the offseason) and current RF (soon-to-be backup) Luke Scott who's 28 and has not hit as well this season as last.

Chris Burke will likely be handed the 2B job next season when Biggio retires.

HomeFish
07-29-2007, 04:00 PM
The Astros like Lamb, but he's never been able to hit righthanders well enough to claim an everyday job, and is a platoon player at 3 positions.

Mike Lamb is, however, only the second player in MLB history to hit a home run in the World Series while having a last name that is a kind of animal.

WhiteSoxJunkie
07-29-2007, 10:27 PM
Mike Lamb is, however, only the second player in MLB history to hit a home run in the World Series while having a last name that is a kind of animal.

Thank you Tim Kurkjian. Would you mind telling us who was first?

oeo
07-29-2007, 10:35 PM

A homerun that really was not a homerun.

HomeFish
07-31-2007, 01:14 AM
Thank you Tim Kurkjian. Would you mind telling us who was first?

Tim Salmon in 2002.

Hard to believe it took that long for it to happen, isn't it?

itsnotrequired
07-31-2007, 07:34 AM
Tim Salmon in 2002.

Hard to believe it took that long for it to happen, isn't it?

What about Tom Giraffe? That boy could rake.