PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 7/28/07 Sox Beat Blue Jays Postgame Thread

Brian26
07-28-2007, 08:17 PM
:winner

Brian26
07-28-2007, 08:18 PM
My first impression of Richar is that he can turn a doubleplay without getting his leg destroyed like Iguchi used to.

Rockin Robin
Woooooooooo, I got home JUST in time to see the 9th.

:D:

DickAllen72
I'm happy with the way this game went.

letsgosox1592
Great job Buehrle and congrads Danny Richar:gulp:

Dan the Man
07-28-2007, 08:19 PM
I didn't think they would bring out Jenks for another night in a row. But my fantasy team welcomes it! :bandance:

Bucky F. Dent
Another strong game for Buehrle.

Having him on the roster long term, and giving some of these kids a chance to play at the major league level is going to be the silver lining for this season.

letsgosox1592
God i just made one again....2 days straight and when I finished it someone else made one already but when I checked before there was none. I'm just not going to do postgame threads no more.

lostfan
07-28-2007, 08:20 PM
That was a tough, tough loss for Halladay. His only real mistake of the whole game was giving up the homer to Jerry Owens of all people, and he still ends up with a CG loss.

Then again Buehrle has lost like that a couple of times too so it all evens out I guess. And by the way... HELL of an outing by Buehrle. No big deal though, that's just Buehrle.

Railsplitter
07-28-2007, 08:20 PM
First career homer for Owens :cheers:

I win vs Tigers + 2 wins vs Blue Jays = :bandance::bandance::bandance:

Frontman
07-28-2007, 08:21 PM
Another win in the books, another step towards .500 ball, another step towards putting together a winning ballclub.

Good to see Richar contribute, good to see the team rally.

All in all, good day of baseball.

ndgt10
Don't look now, but the Sox are creeping back into the division race.

letsgosox1592
My first impression of Richar is that he can turn a doubleplay without getting his leg destroyed like Iguchi used to.
LOL and hes got potential to be a .300 hitter. I really liked what I saw out of him.

October26
07-28-2007, 08:22 PM
I'm happy with the way this game went.

Indeed! Great pitching from both Halladay and Buerhle. Clutch hitting from Jerry Owens (his first major league home run) and the kid Richar looks solid at second base. A well played game and a WHITE SOX winner! :bandance::)

Dan the Man
Ok, I won't look. I'm still thinking .500 will be a bonus, but you can never say never.

veeter
With Owens playing well, Pods back from injury, and now Richar, a Sox metamorphosis is taking place. Mark, terrific as usual, finally got some breaks and beat the opposing stud. Very 2005. Great win.

Brian26
07-28-2007, 08:23 PM
It's frustrating because this team is really starting to come together. Even with all of the injuries, a couple of more consistent arms in the bullpen this year and the Sox right now are probably five or six games out at the most.

Add the bullpen arms and take away all of the injuries, and we're right there with Cleveland and Detroit.

Hopefully Richar and Owens continue to contribute.

rowand33
07-28-2007, 08:24 PM
Richar made a great first impression on me. Very, very excited to see what he can do for the rest of the season!

It's a shame that Buehrle is having such a great season during such a down year for the team. If he had the wins to go along with the no-no and his low ERA (ranks 5th in the AL), he'd have a shot at a Cy Young.

Brian26
07-28-2007, 08:24 PM

Are they 12.5 or 12.0 out now? The MLB.com standings are never updated on time.

It appears we're only 4.0 behind Minnesota, but they still have a long way to go before they're back in it. It's a shame they couldn't have taken one more game in that Detroit series, as that's a two-game swing.

letsgosox1592
07-28-2007, 08:25 PM
I'm calling that the #'s Richar put up in Charlotte are most definitely not a fluke.

oeo
Great day for the rookies...Owens with his first dinger, Richar the 2 for 3 night in his debut, and Fields with a stellar play to end it.

:bandance:

Brian26
:hawk
"I luv fireworks after 6:05 starts when it's still light out!"

letsgosox1592
07-28-2007, 08:26 PM
Great day for the rookies...Owens with his first dinger, Richar the 2 for 3 night in his debut, and Fields with a stellar play to end it.

:bandance:

So much for us not having a minor league system. Bring back Schaffer!!!!

chisox77
07-28-2007, 08:26 PM
Just a very solid win, with excellent pitching and timely hitting.

Nice play by Fields to end the game, I thought.

Richar shows the ability to hit a good breaking pitch, and take it to the opposite field.

Great crowd as well - good to see the folks still coming to the ballpark. White Sox playing better these days. Good signs.

:cool:

Corlose 15
07-28-2007, 08:28 PM
With Owens playing well, Pods back from injury, and now Richar, a Sox metamorphosis is taking place. Mark, terrific as usual, finally got some breaks and beat the opposing stud. Very 2005. Great win.

With Owens, Richar, and to a lesser extent Fields this team suddenly has some speed.

lostfan
07-28-2007, 08:28 PM
Richar made a great first impression on me. Very, very excited to see what he can do for the rest of the season!

It's a shame that Buehrle is having such a great season during such a down year for the team. If he had the wins to go along with the no-no and his low ERA (ranks 5th in the AL), he'd have a shot at a Cy Young.
Yeah, but why couldn't Buehrle put up those numbers last year when they mattered?

letsgosox1592
07-28-2007, 08:29 PM
Just a very solid win, with excellent pitching and timely hitting.

Nice play by Fields to end the game, I thought.

Richar shows the ability to hit a good breaking pitch, and take it to the opposite field.

Great crowd as well - good to see the folks still coming to the ballpark. White Sox playing better these days. Good signs.

:cool:

If Richar can do well for the rest of the season that fills a hole the Sox were going to fill in the offseason and for cheap. If Owens fills the centerfield need another one. and if Fields is our 3rd basemen and Sweeney our right fielder we would only need to fill left field and short and the Sox can take a run at A-Rod

Brian26
07-28-2007, 08:29 PM
So much for us not having a minor league system. Bring back Schaffer!!!!

Richar was obtained from Arizona, and I believe Owens came over from the Nationals in the Alex Escobar trade. Don't give Schaffer too much credit.

oeo
07-28-2007, 08:30 PM
Yeah, but why couldn't Buehrle put up those numbers last year when they mattered?

Seriously, if he would have, we would have gone to the postseason.

lostfan
With Owens, Richar, and to a lesser extent Fields this team suddenly has some speed.
I'd say Fields has good, but not great speed. Good enough to not be a base-clogger or station to station player, not good enough to be considered a SB threat. Sort of like Anderson.

letsgosox1592
One bad season and it cost the Sox not making the playoffs...of course theirs other things that came into place but if he was how his career shows the Sox most likely would of been in the playoffs and who knows what would of happened.

Brian26
Hangar is immortalized on that video of Frank's #400 HR. :D:

lostfan
07-28-2007, 08:31 PM
Same thing goes for Javy, the source of the teal.

It's just one of those things. Baseball's a funny game, you can't predict it just like nobody could've predicted the Sox playing such crappy ball this season. Just gotta have faith in the guys you have and know they have it in them.

God I think that was one of the corniest things I've said in a while. But it's true.

letsgosox1592
07-28-2007, 08:32 PM
Richar was obtained from Arizona, and I believe Owens came over from the Nationals in the Alex Escobar trade. Don't give Schaffer too much credit.
I was just kidding about bring back Schaffer. He really hasnt found the Sox that many good prospects lately. I want the guy who ever found A-Rod

oeo
07-28-2007, 08:33 PM

It's just one of those things. Baseball's a funny game, you can't predict it just like nobody could've predicted the Sox playing such crappy ball this season. Just gotta have faith in the guys you have and know they have it in them.

God I think that was one of the corniest things I've said in a while. But it's true.

The difference between Javy and Buehrle being that Buehrle had the worst year of his career. Javy you can't make an excuse for, he was just his normal, average self...Buehrle, OTOH, if he has a career average year, we make the postseason, and the Tigers sit at home.

lostfan
07-28-2007, 08:34 PM
One bad season and it cost the Sox not making the playoffs...of course theirs other things that came into place but if he was how his career shows the Sox most likely would of been in the playoffs and who knows what would of happened.
Yeah it just... it... well umm...

It just sucks. :angry:

Corlose 15
07-28-2007, 08:35 PM
I'd say Fields has good, but not great speed. Good enough to not be a base-clogger or station to station player, not good enough to be considered a SB threat. Sort of like Anderson.

Right, thats what I was alluding to although he did steal 26 bases for Charlotte last year.

Dibbs
07-28-2007, 08:39 PM
Iguchi out, Sox rout?

lostfan
07-28-2007, 08:40 PM
Right, thats what I was alluding to although he did steal 26 bases for Charlotte last year.
Yeah... I could see him stealing 10-15, maybe even 20 bases in the majors if he finds a groove. The opposition won't worry about him too much like they would a Podsednik or Owens and he can catch them napping, but he won't disrupt a game or anything. And really, that's ok. It's good enough, if you got a guy that can go first to third on a single or score from first on a double that's good enough.

letsgosox1592
07-28-2007, 08:42 PM
I hope Jerry got that homerun ball cause that might be his only major league homer.

TomParrish79
great game by mark..and nice game by the young guys too

rowand33

It is true. And I think what I typed in my last post came off wrong. I really meant that it's more of a shame for Mark because he's having an amazing year but has no shot at the Cy because the rest of the team has sucked.

Who knows if he'll have a season like this again.

He's 8-6 with a 3.04 ERA through 21 starts. If he starts 32 ballgames, and he wins the rest of his 11 starts for the year... maybe he'll win that Cy yet.

lostfan
07-28-2007, 08:45 PM
It is true. And I think what I typed in my last post came off wrong. I really meant that it's more of a shame for Mark because he's having an amazing year but has no shot at the Cy because the rest of the team has sucked.

Who knows if he'll have a season like this again.

He's 8-6 with a 3.04 ERA through 21 starts. If he starts 32 ballgames, and he wins the rest of his 11 starts for the year... maybe he'll win that Cy yet.
I wasn't really making fun of you. Just being an ass, and I used your post to do it. :smile:

TDog
07-28-2007, 08:45 PM
That was a tough, tough loss for Halladay. His only real mistake of the whole game was giving up the homer to Jerry Owens of all people, and he still ends up with a CG loss.

Then again Buehrle has lost like that a couple of times too so it all evens out I guess. And by the way... HELL of an outing by Buehrle. No big deal though, that's just Buehrle.

The last time Buehrle faced Halladay -- in Toronto on May 31 -- the Blue Jays won 2-0. The White Sox outhit the Blue Jays 6-2 if you recall. That was a tough, tough loss for Buehrle.

letsgosox1592
07-28-2007, 08:47 PM
The last time Buehrle faced Halladay -- in Toronto on May 31 -- the Blue Jays won 2-0. The White Sox outhit the Blue Jays 6-2 if you recall. That was a tough, tough loss for Buehrle.
Payback

lostfan
07-28-2007, 08:47 PM
That might be the same game I'm thinking about.

Karma can be a you-know-what.

(Side note: Is typing "MF" in that context acceptable or is it considered evading the language filter? I got a 2 day ban not too long ago for a "language filter violation" and I'm still not sure why...)

October26
07-28-2007, 08:51 PM
I hope Jerry got that homerun ball cause that might be his only major league homer.

Jerry got the ball. In the post game interview, he said he traded an autographed ball for his first major league home run ball. I like the energy Owens brings to the Sox. He was pumped when he stole second base earlier in the game and when he hit the homer later in the game to give the Sox the 2-0 lead. I like to see that. :D:

chisoxfanatic
07-28-2007, 08:51 PM
The difference between Javy and Buehrle being that Buehrle had the worst year of his career. Javy you can't make an excuse for, he was just his normal, average self...Buehrle, OTOH, if he has a career average year, we make the postseason, and the Tigers sit at home.
I don't think you can really blame Buehrle for at least half of his losses (as well as having not as many wins). The bullpen's coughed up a plethora of should-be wins for him!

I have to give it to Owens tonight! He pinned Halladay down big time with one swing. His smile is absolutely cute! I wanna see that smile for years to come. What a great fourth outfielder we have for next year!

letsgosox1592
07-28-2007, 08:54 PM
Jerry got the ball. In the post game interview, he said he traded an autographed ball for his first major league home run ball. I like the energy Owens brings to the Sox. He was pumped when he stole second base earlier in the game and hit the homer to give the Sox the 2-0 lead. I like to see that. :D:
I'm calling that he will be starting for the Sox next year on opening day leading off. Either in left or center

mccoydp
07-28-2007, 08:58 PM
I caught the eighth and the ninth innings after I settled into my hotel room tonight (I'm moving to Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, as we speak).

Mark continues to look good and rebound from last year.

I didn't get to see Owens' HR, but wish I had.

Good strikeout on Thomas by BBBJ!

It seems like this team has a spark again now that Pods is back, Richar's here, etc.

Grzegorz
07-28-2007, 09:09 PM

Don't look back.

letsgosox1592
07-28-2007, 09:09 PM
Don't look back.
And what if he does????

oeo
07-28-2007, 09:12 PM
I don't think you can really blame Buehrle for at least half of his losses (as well as having not as many wins). The bullpen's coughed up a plethora of should-be wins for him!

Oh, I'm not blaming him. We had other problems. I'm just saying, if he has a career normal year, even with our other problems, we make the postseason. And the rest of our staff really started to come together at the end of the year, we could have gone on another run.

Just a 'what if', kind of like this year.

MCHSoxFan
07-28-2007, 09:14 PM

I JUUUST got home from tonight game. I totally agree with you!!! I know it is his FIRST ML game, however, from what I saw of him at the game today LIVE, I really like him. Seems to be speedy, can turn the DP WITHOUT falling over or any issues like that. The Jays did a LOT of that tonight. My seats are in-ine with second base, so, I had my eye on him. I really think he will be a good player. As I said, I know it is his FIRST ML game, but I really enjoyed watching him play tonight!!!

Sig update... NOW!!!!! :D:

lostfan
07-28-2007, 09:14 PM

I have to give it to Owens tonight! He pinned Halladay down big time with one swing. His smile is absolutely cute! I wanna see that smile for years to come. What a great fourth outfielder we have for next year!
My wife said that the first time she saw him. Then again any slender, fair-skinned black/dark-skinned ethnicity guy she sees she that she likes she immediately compares to me and says we look alike (I look nothing like him, but hey, she said I look like Sanjaya too). So now she always asks me "what about Owens?"

Anyway, why would you set the ceiling for him as a 4th OF? What if he ends up being good enough to start?

balke
07-28-2007, 09:17 PM
By the way, HOW BOUT THAT MARK BUEHRLE?! Great game to watch. Go everyone.

Thome25
07-28-2007, 09:19 PM
Great job Buehrle!! I posted this in his thread but how exactly do you pronounce Richar's last name?

letsgosox1592
07-28-2007, 09:21 PM
Ra-Char

Grzegorz
07-28-2007, 09:24 PM
And what if he does????

What is gained by looking back? Conjecture is a waste of time because you're changing history. Why is one allowed to take one slice of history and manipulating for selfish gain?

Changing a single variable to a constant that one finds favorable seldom solves an equation correctly.

oeo
07-28-2007, 09:25 PM
What is gained by looking back? Conjecture is a waste of time because you're changing history. Why is one allowed to take one slice of history and manipulating for selfish gain?

Changing a single variable to a constant that one finds favorable seldom solves an equation correctly.

:whiner:

It was one simple statement.

Frontman
07-28-2007, 09:32 PM
By the way, HOW BOUT THAT MARK BUEHRLE?! Great game to watch. Go everyone.

Man, the only thing is, until his little one is out of diapers, think he'll still work as fast? He might be thinking, "Man, if this game goes quick, I might actually have to feed and burp the kid. Might want to slow down."

:wink:

What a weekend for him. Great performance, and of course his son coming into the world. There's nothing like that feeling.

chisoxfanatic
07-28-2007, 09:33 PM
Anyway, why would you set the ceiling for him as a 4th OF? What if he ends up being good enough to start?

I didn't want to mention this, because it's been hashed and re-hashed on these boards adnausium; but, I'm a true FOAR (fan of Aaron Rowand) who wants him back with this team.

MCHSoxFan
07-28-2007, 09:39 PM

You think so? :D: You think he will be like Pods? In that sense, I mean?

MCHSoxFan
07-28-2007, 09:42 PM
Man, the only thing is, until his little one is out of diapers, think he'll still work as fast? He might be thinking, "Man, if this game goes quick, I might actually have to feed and burp the kid. Might want to slow down."

:wink:

What a weekend for him. Great performance, and of course his son coming into the world. There's nothing like that feeling.

Man, that is real funny!!!!!! :D: I never, ever, ever would have thought of that!!!!! :D:

Tragg
07-28-2007, 09:47 PM
Nice win.

Good start for Richar. Not much protection hitting in the 9 hole (unless Owens goes on a tear). If he can hit from there, then he can hit. Just give him a chance...like at least the rest of the season.

I thought Fields in the 2 hole was interesting. Ozzie usually put one of his hackers in the 2 hole if Iguchi wasn't in the lineup, so Fields there was refreshing.

Now we need a CF.

southside rocks
07-28-2007, 09:53 PM
Wow, this was a great game -- I was there and I'll remember it for a long time. Fantastic pitching matchup. Great job by Owens and Richar, getting the runs necessary for a Buehrle win. And as always, love to see The Boom save the game.

Seeing MB make a putout at second base was another memorable moment!

Nights like this almost erase my recollection of the first half of the season.

mrwag
07-28-2007, 09:57 PM
Wow, this was a great game -- I was there and I'll remember it for a long time. Fantastic pitching matchup. Great job by Owens and Richar, getting the runs necessary for a Buehrle win. And as always, love to see The Boom save the game.

Seeing MB make a putout at second base was another memorable moment!

Nights like this almost erase my recollection of the first half of the season.

I remember in 1990 the Sox were selling season highlight videos of the previous years. 1989 was coined "A Tale of Two Seasons". I think 2007 might go down the same way. Too little too late, but most Sox fans remember how 1990 went and how it was the rebirth of the Sox essentially.

lostfan
07-28-2007, 10:18 PM
Nice win.

Good start for Richar. Not much protection hitting in the 9 hole (unless Owens goes on a tear). If he can hit from there, then he can hit. Just give him a chance...like at least the rest of the season.

I thought Fields in the 2 hole was interesting. Ozzie usually put one of his hackers in the 2 hole if Iguchi wasn't in the lineup, so Fields there was refreshing.

Now we need a CF.
I looked at that starting lineup in the beginning and at first I scratched my head, but after Iguchi's gone the team really has no legit #2 hitter. Erstad's hurt (and wouldn't have been in the lineup anyway with Owens starting), AJ is the closest thing I saw, but he has quite possibly the worst plate discipline of all time so he's basically meant to bat where he is. Pods might work but if Owens leads off he needs to be near the bottom and vice versa. You don't want Richar there in his MLB debut. The thought of Uribe there makes me laugh out loud as much as it did when Ozzie tried it earlier in the season.

It just highlights how damaged the roster is right now.

ChiSoxGirl
07-28-2007, 10:32 PM
TBGR (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/../rwas/index.php?category=4&id=3448):bandance: :thumbsup:

chisoxfanatic
07-28-2007, 10:40 PM
TBGR (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/../rwas/index.php?category=4&id=3448):bandance: :thumbsup:
Feels nice to write one for a winner, doesn't it?!

soxfanreggie
07-28-2007, 10:52 PM
MB could use some of that paycheck to hire the kid a nanny, but I don't think he is going to be that kind of parent.

Awesome game by MB, he has shown that he is one of the best pitchers in the AL this season, albeit a record that doesn't indicate that. He gives us a chance to win every night, grinding it out, inducing those DPs. Sad to see Halladay with an ERA almost a run higher than MB but 11-5 vs 8-6.

Richar, welcome to the big leagues. We're glad to have you here! We know games like that don't happen all the time, but you've shown us you have the potential and talent!

ChiSoxGirl
07-28-2007, 10:56 PM
Feels nice to write one for a winner, doesn't it?!

:hawk
YES!!!!

JB98
07-28-2007, 11:01 PM
That's only the second time I've seen fireworks in daylight, and Buehrle was responsible both times. Very well pitched game by both sides. Both Mark and Halladay made key pitches with men on base to keep the game scoreless, until Halladay finally blinked in the seventh.

Nice to see Owens drive a ball for a change, and Richar made a real nice turn on the DP in the third inning.

Let's get a blowout win tomorrow, so Jenks can have a day off.

Sox are now 5-2 on this homestand. It's nice to see us playing good baseball again.

Frontman
07-28-2007, 11:04 PM
That's only the second time I've seen fireworks in daylight, and Buehrle was responsible both times. Very well pitched game by both sides. Both Mark and Halladay made key pitches with men on base to keep the game scoreless, until Halladay finally blinked in the seventh.

Nice to see Owens drive a ball for a change, and Richar made a real nice turn on the DP in the third inning.

Let's get a blowout win tomorrow, so Jenks can have a day off.

Sox are now 5-2 on this homestand. It's nice to see us playing good baseball again.

And good baseball at home! It always seemed that the homestands were rough for the Sox. Good to see them roughin' up the competition instead.

soxwon
07-28-2007, 11:14 PM

Da rev predicted 2 for 3 2 runs scored
LIL RICHAR went 2 for 3 1 run scored
how bout demm apples?

whitesoxfan
07-28-2007, 11:17 PM
Great job for Richar in his first game up here...really nice to see.

I tuned in after Owens had hit the HR. That was probably the most shocked I've been all year :o: But hey, let's take his AB's away and put Optimus back out there!!!

Let's sweep these Canadian birds away.

DickAllen72
07-28-2007, 11:44 PM
If Richar can do well for the rest of the season that fills a hole the Sox were going to fill in the offseason and for cheap. If Owens fills the centerfield need another one. and if Fields is our 3rd basemen and Sweeney our right fielder we would only need to fill left field and short and the Sox can take a run at A-Rod
They should use that money for Zambrano and some quality bullpen guys.

letsgosox1592
07-28-2007, 11:47 PM
NO!!!!! ZAMBRANO AND A.J. WILL GET IN SO MANY FIGHTS AND WHY WASTE MORE MONEY ON SOMETHING YOU HAVE A SURPLUS OF??????

jabrch
07-28-2007, 11:50 PM

A few issues with that...
1) There is no way you give Zambrano more than Mark just got. I highly doubt he'd settle for that deal. If he would, he'd have been signed a while ago.

2) We don't have an opening in our rotation, and we have lots of candidates in the minors to fill one if it happens. Hard to justify spending that money on Zambrano when you don't have a SS.

3) I don't think the Cubs will let him walk - I think they will pay him his 7/120 or so and make him a lifetime Cub.

hi im skot
07-29-2007, 01:13 AM
Great game to be at. Mark was masterful, and the youngsters all stepped up tonight.

Let's go for the sweep, guys!

oeo
07-29-2007, 01:17 AM
NO!!!!! ZAMBRANO AND A.J. WILL GET IN SO MANY FIGHTS AND WHY WASTE MORE MONEY ON SOMETHING YOU HAVE A SURPLUS OF??????

AJ and Zambrano are apparently friends after doing their McDonald's commercial together.

Since when is AJ = Michael Barret? :?:

The reason I wouldn't sign him long term: a lot of innings on a power arm is bad news.

letsgosox1592
07-29-2007, 01:45 AM
AJ and Zambrano are apparently friends after doing their McDonald's commercial together.

The reason I wouldn't sign him long term: a lot of innings on a power arm is bad news.
Dont you remember the game after the brawl that A.j. hit a homer and rounding 3rd Zambrano pointed at his head and Joey Cora starting yelling at him. Anyway I dont want him

RadioheadRocks
07-29-2007, 01:52 AM

"What year should I set the Wayback Machine for, Mr. Peabody?" :D:

IlliniSox4Life
07-29-2007, 02:21 AM

I thought it was more like they are "friends", as in, they don't hate each other, but aren't good buddies. Either way, I think a lot of why people think AJ and Zambrano are *******s is because they have a lot of fire and play with passion. Zambranos a lot more of a hothead, but either way, on the same team I think they'd actually get along.

Grzegorz
07-29-2007, 05:32 AM
"What year should I set the Wayback Machine for, Mr. Peabody?"

Please loop the 2005 season; swoon and all! :D:

Frontman
07-29-2007, 08:18 AM
Man, that is real funny!!!!!! :D: I never, ever, ever would have thought of that!!!!! :D:

Welcome to what runs threw my mind when I watch Sox games. :wink: If the games going good for the Sox, not so much, but they still come around.

oeo
07-29-2007, 08:25 AM
I thought it was more like they are "friends", as in, they don't hate each other, but aren't good buddies. Either way, I think a lot of why people think AJ and Zambrano are *******s is because they have a lot of fire and play with passion. Zambranos a lot more of a hothead, but either way, on the same team I think they'd actually get along.

That constitutes constant fighting? :?:

AJ has been great here...I don't see him fighting with anyone. Especially if they became teammates...

KyWhiSoxFan
07-29-2007, 08:37 AM
The Sox are finally starting to play like they should have been since April. I'm a half glass full type of person ... so if they can reel off 16 of 20, they're in it. Not expecting them to, but one can hope.

DickAllen72
07-29-2007, 10:09 AM
A few issues with that...
1) There is no way you give Zambrano more than Mark just got. I highly doubt he'd settle for that deal. If he would, he'd have been signed a while ago.
I hear what you're saying and in a way I gree with you. But baseball is a crazy business, and sometimes you have to do what you have to do to get the guy you want.

2) We don't have an opening in our rotation, and we have lots of candidates in the minors to fill one if it happens. Hard to justify spending that money on Zambrano when you don't have a SS.

We have Jose's spot, assuming the Sox can unload him. I love Jose and going into this season he was my favorite Sox starter. But the way it looks, age may have caught up to him. Hopefully I'm wrong and he has a dynamite final two months of this season.

Anyway, Zambrano would instantly become the Sox' best starter. Plus he's young and has proven durable. The Sox won a WS with Uribe at SS, but I agree that they should try to improve at the position. Still, I would like to see the Sox spend the bulk of their money building a kick-ass pitching staff. I don't really see any high salaried SS out there that is available and would drastically improve the team (We won't get A-Rod).

Maybe we can trade one of those young pitching prospects we have for a top SS prospect.

3) I don't think the Cubs will let him walk - I think they will pay him his 7/120 or so and make him a lifetime Cub.

You're probably right. My main point was to prioritize spending on the pitching staff, both SP and bullpen, for next year and save money playing the youngsters in the OF and at third and second. The post to which I reponded was advocating going after A-Rod. I would rather spend that kind of money on Zambrano and the bullpen.

JB98
07-29-2007, 11:59 AM
Great job for Richar in his first game up here...really nice to see.

I tuned in after Owens had hit the HR. That was probably the most shocked I've been all year :o: But hey, let's take his AB's away and put Optimus back out there!!!

Let's sweep these Canadian birds away.

Why is everyone so worried about the young players losing ABs? Owens and Fields have been out there every day, and Ozzie has even said he wants to take an extended look at Owens. He's kept Owens in the leadoff spot despite Pods being back in the lineup.

Yet people still seem to think it's only a matter of time before we start seeing Erstad and Cintron every day? :?: