PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I'm Crazy, but....

MarySwiss
07-28-2007, 06:14 PM
..I just finished watching the end of the D'Backs extra-inning win over Atlanta. I have to confess that I haven't really been following them closely because I've been so bummed about the Sox, but they are my second-favorite team, responsible for my second-favorite baseball memory--their WS win in 2001.

Anyway, THESE GUYS ARE SERIOUSLY PUMPED!! And watching them mob each other after the win, they've started to remind me a lot of another team that also wasn't given much of a chance.

As I said, maybe I'm crazy, but they look like they could possibly catch lightning in a bottle.

WSox597
07-28-2007, 07:51 PM
Mary, they have my vote to go to the Series. Of course, I'd rather not see the other Chicago team get there in my lifetime, so Arizona works for me.

:D:

eastchicagosoxfan
07-28-2007, 08:08 PM
..I just finished watching the end of the D'Backs extra-inning win over Atlanta. I have to confess that I haven't really been following them closely because I've been so bummed about the Sox, but they are my second-favorite team, responsible for my second-favorite baseball memory--their WS win in 2001.

Anyway, THESE GUYS ARE SERIOUSLY PUMPED!! And watching them mob each other after the win, they've started to remind me a lot of another team that also wasn't given much of a chance.

As I said, maybe I'm crazy, but they look like they could possibly catch lightning in a bottle.
Well, maybe they'll overpay for Contreras.

SBSoxFan
07-29-2007, 05:47 AM
Speaking of comparisons, I think I heard yesterday prior to the game on fox that AZ had a 6-22 stretch earlier this season. Didn't the Sox go 5-22 at one point? So, I'm not giving up! Yes, I'd be shocked if the Sox get back in it, but I think both Detroit and Cleveland are going to give someone a chance. Might as well be the White Sox. :D:

October26
07-29-2007, 02:14 PM

MarySwiss: I hope you're right. The D'Backs have my vote. I don't see much pitching talent on any of the other National League teams. It seems like the perfect storm is brewing for the Cubs to win the National League pennant this year (by this I mean Brewers are tanking it right now, Padres and Dodgers are iffy, Mets and Braves, and Phillies are streaky - and all of these teams have had injuries while the Cubs remain healthy). The only team I've seen even challenge the Cubs are the D'Backs. I remember reading the newspapers during the series when the D'Backs played the Cubs in Chicago earlier this year and the D'Backs seem like an exciting young team. It seems like the entire country (except for those of us on WSI) cheers for the Cubs. I feel sorry for all the teams fans (Reds, Pirates, Brewers, Braves) who have to put up with the Cubs fans invading when the Cubs are the road team. I know it was horrible for me to watch the Cubs sweep the Sox at the Cell in June. There were tons of Cub fans there that day. Yuck! :angry:

I have a question for you since you live in Arizona. If the Cubs and D'Backs were to meet in the NLCS, what would the atmosphere be like in AZ - since I believe there are so many Cubs fans there as well?

PKalltheway
07-29-2007, 05:48 PM
The D'Backs are a fun, young team to watch, but could their youth be their downfall to more experienced teams like San Diego and Los Angeles? Also, the Rockies are starting to creep into the race in the NL West as well.:o:

That being said, I hope the D'Backs can take down San Diego and L.A. It would be a breath of fresh air in the NL West.

MarySwiss
07-29-2007, 06:00 PM
I have a question for you since you live in Arizona. If the Cubs and D'Backs were to meet in the NLCS, what would the atmosphere be like in AZ - since I believe there are so many Cubs fans there as well?

Much as I hate to say it, I believe the Cubs fans--and pseudo-Cubs fans--would come out of the woodwork. They've already begun to. Where I work, I've had one or two snipe at me. Of course, I always shoot the silencer--2005--but IMO they would be obnoxious as hell. That said, I PROMISE that if this did happen, I would show up in combo Sox/D'Backs gear and be equally obnoxious.

The D'Backs are a fun, young team to watch, but could their youth be their downfall to more experienced teams like San Diego and Los Angeles? Also, the Rockies are starting to creep into the race in the NL West as well.:o:

That being said, I hope the D'Backs can take down San Diego and L.A. It would be a breath of fresh air in the NL West.

I think the big question is their pitching; is it strong enough to get them through the playoffs? But as I said, they remind me a lot of the 2005 Sox. In fact, I am really sorry I didn't get a bet down on them back in December when I was in Laughlin.

MrMarySwiss predicts that next year will be the D'Backs' year. Then again, he's a Cubs fan, so he's essentially clueless by definition. :D: