PDA

View Full Version : With Johnson out, what does everyone think about...?

Taliesinrk
07-28-2007, 11:46 AM
With RJ going down for the year for Arizona, and the D-Backs only one game out, could we see the Sox send Contreras their way?

They've got some nice prospects we would certainly want, and that'd unload a ton of salary. I'd have to think that they're pretty desperate right now. With that said, I don't know much about their pitching situation.

JorgeFabregas
07-28-2007, 11:48 AM
The Sox aren't going to get any prospects of value for him unless they eat a lot of his salary.

Fred Manrique
07-28-2007, 12:12 PM
With RJ going down for the year for Arizona, and the D-Backs only one game out, could we see the Sox send Contreras their way?

They've got some nice prospects we would certainly want, and that'd unload a ton of salary. I'd have to think that they're pretty desperate right now. With that said, I don't know much about their pitching situation.

It sounds great, but I don't think Jose would look much more appealing than whoever they have down on the farm right now.

Frater Perdurabo
07-28-2007, 12:13 PM
The Sox aren't going to get any prospects of value for him unless they eat a lot of his salary.

True, but it means there's another team looking for pitching at the deadline.

I have a question about waiver trades. When a player is traded for a player to be named later, does the "player to be named later" have to clear waivers? Or can the trade be completed after the season, when trades no longer require the player to clear waivers?

DSpivack
07-28-2007, 01:03 PM
Why would any team trade for a SP approaching 40 whose ERA is way over 5 and is signed for $10mil the next two seasons?

Jjav829
07-28-2007, 01:04 PM

Any of those nice prospects we would certainly want sure as hell aren't coming our way for Jose Contreras, even if we eat his entire contract.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-28-2007, 01:30 PM
Okay, let's give the Diamondbacks Contreras and the Sox get Chris Young, CF, straight up. (However, I doubt they're taking on $20-million in salary.)

soxfanreggie
07-28-2007, 05:10 PM
Right now you're looking at the Sox to take at least 50% of his salary with how he's pitching. You're right though, take less prospects and it's going to cost you less of his salary.

MarySwiss
07-28-2007, 05:17 PM
IMO, Randy hasn't really been that much of a factor this season; they've been doing okay without him. I think the pitching they have gives them as good a shot at the NL West as anyone.

That said, I do NOT think that their pitching would be enough to take them very deep into the postseason. But I, like others, think they would want the Sox to pick up a big part of Contreras's tab.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

jabrch
07-28-2007, 05:40 PM
If they will take him - and give us something of value, KW would have to be listening.

Taliesinrk
07-28-2007, 07:28 PM
I guess that I'm not really looking for them to give us great prospects; the reason I put that in the original post was because their system seems to be pretty solid... period.

Anyway, I was just looking for a team to unload his salary onto, and thought the Dbacks would now be a team that fit the bill. Nonetheless, my main goal is just to dump his salary so that the sox can just sign some FAs this winter.

FedEx227
07-28-2007, 10:10 PM
Okay, let's give the Diamondbacks Contreras and the Sox get Chris Young, CF, straight up. (However, I doubt they're taking on $20-million in salary.)

And I doubt they'll trade their everyday CF who's already hit 18 home runs. But nice try anyway.

Nellie_Fox
07-29-2007, 01:52 AM
I'm afraid that at this point, teams will pay the Sox to not even talk to them Contreras.

letsgosox1592
07-29-2007, 01:57 AM
I'm afraid that at this point, teams will pay the Sox to not even talk to them Contreras.
Minus well keep talking about him and use that money for A-Rod in the offseason. :D:

Nellie_Fox
07-29-2007, 02:36 AM
Minus well keep talking about him and use that money for A-Rod in the offseason. :D:Alex Rodriguez will not be on the White Sox next year. Not only do the Yankees have more money to spend than any other team, but they (and only they) have money from the Rangers to help pay him.

Noneck
07-29-2007, 03:13 AM
Alex Rodriguez will not be on the White Sox next year. Not only do the Yankees have more money to spend than any other team, but they (and only they) have money from the Rangers to help pay him.

I totally agree. I am SO tired of reading anything about the Sox getting arod. They will never spend the 30m needed and its also not the prudent way to spend it. btw: have a great one and many many more.

Nellie_Fox
07-29-2007, 03:16 AM
I totally agree. I am SO tired of reading anything about the Sox getting arod. They will never spend the 30m needed and its also not the prudent way to spend it. btw: have a great one and many many more.Hey, thanks Noneck!