PDA

View Full Version : Sox to spend money?

getonbckthr
07-27-2007, 07:19 PM
I wasn't sure if this was a clubhouse topic or a WTS topic.
Listening to the score when news on Iguchi being traded broke they had Jesse Rogers on. All 3 JR and B&B all felt positive based upon comments from Ozzie and KW as well as their demeanor that this offseason the Sox will spend a ton of money. You can hear the conversation for yourself if the Score archives B&B it would be at the 5 oclock area.

Lip Man 1
07-27-2007, 07:47 PM
I sincerely hope that happens however I am somewhat skeptical.

We'll see what the market prices are come November. That I think, will go a long way towards determining what happens.

Lip

WhiteSox5187
07-27-2007, 08:03 PM
I really don't think the Sox are going to spend lots of money.

UserNameBlank
07-27-2007, 08:57 PM
I damn sure hope their idea of "spending a ton of money" isn't bringing in Rowand and Eckstein. Kenny needs to rebuild this team somehow and he's not going to do it through FA.

getonbckthr
07-27-2007, 09:03 PM
I damn sure hope their idea of "spending a ton of money" isn't bringing in Rowand and Eckstein. Kenny needs to rebuild this team somehow and he's not going to do it through FA.
Ya thats the thing on the radio they stressed spending alot of money. I know im in the minority here but I hope the Cubs win the World Series this year. That would give Kenny no other option than to make a huge splash (cough AROD cough) in the offseason to save the fanbase.

russ99
07-27-2007, 09:35 PM

Unfortunately, our minor league system is barren and other teams aren't giving away high-end prospects as readily as in other trade deadline years, unless we deal a top player like Konerko or Garland.

Truth is, Kenny is going to have to fill a hole or two in FA regardless if they want to avoid a full scorch-the-earth rebuild and continue to sell tickets for the next two seasons.

It remains to be seen if Kenny will be shopping at the high end of the market or at the discount clearout aisle.

UserNameBlank
07-27-2007, 10:39 PM
Unfortunately, our minor league system is barren and other teams aren't giving away high-end prospects as readily as in other trade deadline years, unless we deal a top player like Konerko or Garland.

Truth is, Kenny is going to have to fill a hole or two in FA regardless if they want to avoid a full scorch-the-earth rebuild and continue to sell tickets for the next two seasons.

It remains to be seen if Kenny will be shopping at the high end of the market or at the discount clearout aisle.
That's kind of what I was referring to. I could see keeping Konerko, but Garland is probably going to have to go along with a couple of other useful major league players. Things were different a couple months ago because at that point we probably could have gotten at least something of value for Contreras. As it is, we'll have to dump Jose and turn to Garland in order to fill a couple positions with prospects.

There is enough time for the Sox to get this thing turned around a bit over the offseason through trades. The way I see it, if we can come up with three good prospects that turn into three solid position players we'll be right back toward contending again. We have to make some moves to do it, but it can be done.

The last thing I want to see the Sox do is spend something like 7-8 million on Rowand and another 5-6 million on Eckstein. If the Sox traded a minor league pitcher or something for a major league ready SS and started Anderson in CF, I doubt the difference between those players and Rowandstein would be worth 12-14 million dollars. I know "name" players have an effect on ticket sales, but so do losses. If we pay players like that we'll just be treading water.

rdivaldi
07-27-2007, 10:42 PM
Unfortunately, our minor league system is barren.

Yikes, it isn't that bad. We're not loaded by any means, but there are some talented pitchers in AA and adv-A and a handful of promising position players.

California Sox
07-27-2007, 11:15 PM
Yikes, it isn't that bad. We're not loaded by any means, but there are some talented pitchers in AA and adv-A and a handful of promising position players.

I think our system is good at the top and bottom, but suspect in the middle. A few young position players in AAA (we've already seen Fields, Owens, Sweeney and we're about to see Richar) a couple of pitchers in AA (Gio and Egbert) but no position players in AA and very little at W-S, then DLS and some good position talent in Kanny. (Their record is bad becase 4/5 of their rotation has really struggled.) Early to tell, but there are some players off to promising starts in Rookie ball.

The Dude
07-28-2007, 01:09 AM
I really don't think the Sox are going to spend lots of money.

The Sox already do spend a lot of money. Get a clue!:rolleyes:

KyWhiSoxFan
07-28-2007, 02:33 PM
They'll probably spend what they have the last several years: $100-million give or take. This is the critical reason why they need to dump Contreras and his $10m per year for the next two years. Heck, I'd have given the Phillies Contreras and Iguchi for Dubee straight up.

letsgosox1592
07-28-2007, 02:57 PM
The Sox salary will be around 75-85 million next year. They are going to trade one of the starting pitchers either Contreras, Vazquez, or Garland. The Sox will probably stay young and cheap in the outfield and will save about 8 million in Pods and Dye. The Sox will have saved about 18-20 million this offseason and will not really be in a spending spree this offseason. I believe the Sox are going to do what the Marlins are doing grow and develop from your minor leaguers.

kittle42
07-28-2007, 03:39 PM
The Sox already do spend a lot of money. Get a clue!:rolleyes:

They do. Just not well. Williams better start playing general manager better than he played 3B. :cool:

ilsox7
07-28-2007, 03:49 PM
The Sox salary will be around 75-85 million next year. They are going to trade one of the starting pitchers either Contreras, Vazquez, or Garland. The Sox will probably stay young and cheap in the outfield and will save about 8 million in Pods and Dye. The Sox will have saved about 18-20 million this offseason and will not really be in a spending spree this offseason. I believe the Sox are going to do what the Marlins are doing grow and develop from your minor leaguers.

First, there has been absolutely no indication that the Sox plan to cut payroll by 20-25% as you suggest. In fact, by re-signing Buehrle, all indications are that payroll will stay in the same ballpark (give or take a small %). Second, the Marlins comparison is flawed. While the Sox need to have a moe productive minor league system, they also will not go into a 5 year re-building plan where they tell the fans that they will not compete for the playoffs for half of a decade. This is a big market team with one of the highest payrolls in the league. They need an influx of young, home grown talent, but they also will have the resources to spend on the free agent market if something good is available..

Tragg
07-28-2007, 04:53 PM
The Sox can save some money and hopefully reinvest it. Trade contreras, and there's 10 mill. Iguchi saves 2 or 3. And then replace players like Cintron (why did the sox ever pay him 1.9 mill?) with minimum salary players.
Looks like the moderately priced FAs are weak...Eckstein, e.g. is both a bad hitter and a bad fielder...Uribe's better than him.

the1tab
07-28-2007, 05:37 PM
Two questions for the forum at large: If Kenny Williams believes as much in Josh Fields as he appears to

A) Does anyone see the Sox moving Crede in the offseason to clear up some money for (cough AROD cough) a big name free agent? And

B) is anyone else as skeptical as I am that ARod could still pull off playing SS every day? His frame has bulked up considerably since NY moved him to third... I really don't see him being an everyday SS again in the bigs.

Is there anyone other than ARod worth spending on even if Kenny gets the purse strings a little looser? Reports are that Andruw Jones is going to give the Buehrle discount to ATL, and he would be the only other big bag out there. Torii Hunter's nice in CF, but God knows what left of his knees (watch Vlad run) and who knows what his range looks like off astroturf (ask a Cubs fan about Jacque Jones' arm). Who else is out there that would be worthy of a big paycheck?

rdivaldi
07-28-2007, 07:29 PM
They do. Just not well. Williams better start playing general manager better than he played 3B. :cool:

:?:

2001 - 83 wins
2002 - 81 wins
2003 - 86 wins
2004 - 83 wins
2005 - 99 wins
2006 - 90 Wins
2007 - Ugh

But still, how can you blast a team that has been consistently good or great for the past couple of years? I think too many people are taking this season and running it up the flagpole. Have we forgotten the success of this franchise over the past 15 years or so? The White Sox have a grand total of THREE losing seasons since 1990.

MarySwiss
07-28-2007, 07:36 PM
Two questions for the forum at large: If Kenny Williams believes as much in Josh Fields as he appears to

A) Does anyone see the Sox moving Crede in the offseason to clear up some money for (cough AROD cough) a big name free agent? And

B) is anyone else as skeptical as I am that ARod could still pull off playing SS every day? His frame has bulked up considerably since NY moved him to third... I really don't see him being an everyday SS again in the bigs.

Is there anyone other than ARod worth spending on even if Kenny gets the purse strings a little looser? Reports are that Andruw Jones is going to give the Buehrle discount to ATL, and he would be the only other big bag out there. Torii Hunter's nice in CF, but God knows what left of his knees (watch Vlad run) and who knows what his range looks like off astroturf (ask a Cubs fan about Jacque Jones' arm). Who else is out there that would be worthy of a big paycheck?

A. No
B. Yes

I would much rather they sign Crede than A-Rod. Crede has indicated that he--not his agent--will make his decisions.

As for Andruw Jones, Hunter, et al., when I'm dancing, I'd rather dance with the guy whut brung me. That'd be Crede.

DickAllen72
07-28-2007, 09:24 PM
I'd like to see the Sox spend big money on pitching. Re-sign Garland, sign Big Z, and spend the rest on a couple of quality bullpen guys.

With Fields at third, Richar at second and a possible outfield of Owens Anderson/Rowand and Sweeney, the Sox will have a lot of money to re-allocate to the pitching staff.

Lip Man 1
07-28-2007, 09:29 PM
Answering the questions:

1. It's going to be hard to 'move' Crede when he's not playing the rest of this season. Perhaps if he shows well the first few weeks of spring training something may happen.

2. If Alex is going to get what his agent Scott Boras thinks he'll command, 30 million PER season, it won't be the White Sox giving it to him.

The last comment about the franchise from diva is interesting and I guess it depends on your point of view. The Sox have usually had winning seasons (and that's nothing to sneeze at!) but they've also only made four post season appearances in the last 24 years. (83-07) There are a number of teams in MLB that have done that at least, in the same time frame (including the clownish Cubs...)

So I can't say if that's a 'correct' comment, again I guess it's all how you look at it.

One thing for sure is that by having a 'winning' season you at least have a chance (no matter how small) for the post season since technically a club with a losing record has never done it.(Although had the 94 season continued, the 'winner' of the A.L. West almost certainly would have had a losing record. Texas was the 'leader' when the labor impasse hit and they were TEN GAMES UNDER .500!)

Lip

FarWestChicago
07-28-2007, 09:38 PM
2. If Alex is going to get what his agent Scott Boras thinks he'll command, 30 million PER season, it won't be the White Sox giving it to him.It would be if you were the GM, Lip. Heck, you would give him $100 million per year. You know you want to be the GM of the first billion dollar payroll in any sport. :wink:

spiffie
07-28-2007, 11:38 PM
It would be if you were the GM, Lip. Heck, you would give him $100 million per year. You know you want to be the GM of the first billion dollar payroll in any sport. :wink:
I thought Real Madrid was already there...them or Man U. :wink: