PDA

View Full Version : Iguchi Appreciation Thread

Patrick134
07-27-2007, 03:44 PM
He had many great moments here, but arguably none greater than the huge 3 run homer off David Wells in the 2005 playoffs. Best of luck, Gooch!

jsg-07
07-27-2007, 03:48 PM
He had many great moments here, but arguably none greater than the huge 3 run homer off David Wells in the 2005 playoffs. Best of luck, Gooch!

By far one of my favorite memories of the playoffs (mainly because I was there). I swear, I felt the upper deck shaking!

Good Luck Gooch!!:gulp:

SoxFan78
07-27-2007, 03:50 PM
I always remember game 2 of the ALCS and him making a curtain call when 38K+ were calling his name GOOOOOOOOOOOCH.

Good luck Gooch, now we get to have Cintron

santo=dorf
07-27-2007, 03:52 PM
I always remember game 2 of the ALCS and him making a curtain call when 38K+ were calling his name GOOOOOOOOOOOCH.

Good luck Gooch, now we get to have Cintron
Try Richar.

I hope Gooch keeps the number 15 so he can be like Dick Allen.

Patrick134
07-27-2007, 03:59 PM
Why is this thread relegated to the Roadhouse now ?

jenn2080
07-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Gooch you were one of my favorites. :whiner: Good luck to ya. I enjoyed watching you play.

southside rocks
07-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Goodbye, Guch. I'll miss you!

As a Hawk in Japan:
http://www.geocities.com/daieihawks2002/iguchi.jpg

And as a White Sox:
http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/photos/uncategorized/goochtheplay_1.jpg

bryPt
07-27-2007, 04:38 PM
that throw was one of the most amazing baseball feets I have ever seen.

The Dude
07-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Gooch was always one of my favorite players while on the Sox. I'll never forget the jack against the Red Sox during the playoffs or several of his awesome defensive plays. We expected this move and I wish him the best.:gulp:

chisoxwschamps05
07-27-2007, 04:43 PM
I guess I have to change my sig now...this sucks.

We'll miss you Gooch. The best single-game performance I have ever seen in person was his 2 HR 6 RBI game against the Cubs last year

Frontman
07-27-2007, 04:44 PM
I'll never forget him post WS during the clubhouse celebration with the:

"WE....ARE....WORLD....CHAMPIONS!!!" He was so proud of not only the accomplishment, but in saying that in English holding the trophy up. That was an awesome moment. Between him with that and Crede's "I don't think I could feel any better right now;" I absolutely loved watching that celebration.

For all the great plays, and all the fun moments these past few season, Tadahito Iguchi,

Domo arigato.

jenn2080
07-27-2007, 04:45 PM
Goodbye, Guch. I'll miss you!

As a Hawk in Japan:
http://www.geocities.com/daieihawks2002/iguchi.jpg

And as a White Sox:
http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/photos/uncategorized/goochtheplay_1.jpg

I was at that game. AWESOME! One of my favorites

ChiSox4Life
07-27-2007, 04:45 PM
Thank for the memories Gooch!!! Best of luck in the future!

itsnotrequired
07-27-2007, 05:00 PM
My first (and to date only) foul ball I ever caught at a game was off of Iguchi last season. He has launched a few more up there as well.

520 will miss ye...

hose
07-27-2007, 05:07 PM
Tadahito thanks for all the memories.:)

ChiSoxGirl
07-27-2007, 05:15 PM
By far one of my favorite memories of the playoffs (mainly because I was there). I swear, I felt the upper deck shaking!

I was there for this game and I'LL NEVER FORGET the electricity in the ballpark when Iguchi picked up Podsednik. It was mass chaos on that warm October night and the ballpark was rockin' as soon as Iguchi launched that ball to left field. I was up in the second row of 514 and it really did feel like the upper deck was shaking.

Gooch, you'll be missed, but like the others who've departed from the World Championship team, you'll always have a place in White Sox and Chicago sports history.

soxfanreggie
07-27-2007, 05:16 PM
Thanks for everything Gooch, hopefully the Phils fans will be as entertained as we were.

Lip Man 1
07-27-2007, 05:22 PM
I appreciate what Tad did for the Sox in his 2 1/2 years here and wish him well.

The ALDS home run and the off balance throw are what I'll remember.

Lip

AJ Hellraiser
07-27-2007, 05:22 PM
He was the starting 2B on the best baseball team Chicago has seen in a century...

He was clutch...

He made a seamless transition into the 2 hole during his rookie season...

He was as solid as they come and really could never be blamed for any problems the team has had these past 12 months....

I couldn't help but smile whenever I saw him crack one... thinking how hard it must have been to hardly be able to speak to his teammates in the clubhouse these past few years....

I'll never forget his game 3 HR, the 2 HR's against Houston to tie the game in interleague last year, the defying gravity throw or the bat flips...

To Tadahito...:gulp: May you find success no matter where the future takes you! Thank you for everything you gave to the White Sox organization and all the memories you helped engrave into the minds of our fans!

Frater Perdurabo
07-27-2007, 05:24 PM
This is the first time in a long time that the Sox have "sold" in a mid-season trade. The last time I can think that this happened was when Durham was dealt.

Iguchi was a great soldier while here. We'll miss him, but it's time for a changing of the guard, even if it's not his fault.

I wonder where he will end up next year...

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-27-2007, 05:26 PM
A slow, deliberate bow at the presence of Iguchi-san.

Peace in all your travels. Thank you for giving us a 2005 none of us will ever forget.

Frater Perdurabo
07-27-2007, 05:27 PM
the 2 HR's against Houston to tie the game in interleague last year

Wasn't one homer a three-run blast, and the other a grand slam? And weren't they in consecutive innings, late in the game? Weren't the Sox down by eight, and he single-handedly made it a one-run game? Amazing!

itsnotrequired
07-27-2007, 05:29 PM
Wasn't one homer a three-run blast, and the other a grand slam? And weren't they in consecutive innings, late in the game? Weren't the Sox down by eight, and he single-handedly made it a one-run game? Amazing!

Yep. Three run HR in the 8th and a grand sizzler with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th to tie the game. The Sox were down 9-1 with 2 outs in the 7th. They would be his only two hits of the game.

My parents were down for that game, my mom's first ever MLB game.

letsgosox1592
07-27-2007, 05:33 PM
Thank you Iguchi for everything you did for the Sox and now help lead the Phillies to the playoffs and to a world championship. Congrads on your sucess here and good luck in Philly. It was a privelage watching you play the game.:gulp:

oeo
07-27-2007, 05:33 PM

Yes, I think the 3-run homer was in the 8th; I don't remember if that's what put us only 4 runs back, though. The Slam was definitely in the bottom of the 9th to tie the game and send it to extra innings (which we ultimately lost).

sullythered
07-27-2007, 05:37 PM
Best of luck, Gooch. Really sad to see you go.

Here's to Tadahito...
:gulp:

anewman35
07-27-2007, 05:38 PM
From early on in 2005, it was clear that the team was different and special, and the top of the order was a large part of the reason. I totally agree with the move to trade him now, but I'll never forget the amazing job he did in the 2-hole in 05. The other memory I'll always have of him is the grand slam in the "Punch AJ" game last year.

oeo
07-27-2007, 05:53 PM
From Reifert's blog...
From Tadahito:

"I didn't know Chase Utley had been hurt. I actually wondered why they (the Phillies) had made the trade since they already had a third baseman.

When asked his fondest memory with the White Sox, he obviously talked about winning the World Series.

"And my chance to share 2 1/2 years with such great teammates."

Iguchi will return to Chicago with his new team on Monday, a fact that drew a chuckle.

"Chicago is the only American city where I have lived. I like this city. I'll miss this city and the crowd cheering me with the 'Gooch' sound.":whiner:

getonbckthr
07-27-2007, 06:02 PM
Thanks for your contributions in 2005. Since mid-06 not quite sure where your head has been. Hopefully you find it otherwise the city of "Brotherly Love" will welcome you rather uniquely.

DickAllen72
07-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Tadahito was an important part of the 2005 World Champions. He's a good ballplayer and I wish him much success in his future (except when playing against the White Sox).

WhiteSoxJunkie
07-27-2007, 06:13 PM
I always appreciated how aggressive he was on the field. He always threw to 2nd to get the lead runner when he could. And then there was Game 1 vs Boston when he threw to 3rd to get the lead runner when there was no force. Guillen's reaction to that, "No no no no no...good play."

Thanks for the memories Gooch. Everyone on the 05 Sox will always be good in my book.

MarySwiss
07-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Didn't read the thread yet, but it's always kinda sad to see a guy who was part of that special team leave.

Good luck, Gooch! :D:

DoItForDanPasqua
07-27-2007, 06:36 PM
He will be missed.

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2005/10/05/47Psn9Y3.jpg
http://rightwingnuthouse.com/images/r4247605778.jpg

http://graphics.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2005/10/05/1128565121_3560.jpg

vegyrex
07-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Thanks or every thing Gooch. I'm going to miss ya.

Good luck in Philly, and I hope you catch fire on July 30, 31 & August 1, and 2. :wink:

We'll never forget you!!!!!

Soxfanspcu11
07-27-2007, 06:48 PM
Great and amazing memories brought up in this thread.

I was there for what he did in Game 2 of the 2005 ALDS vs. Boston (Was there for all the games in the '05 postseason). I was standing, at the time, along the concourse in left-field when he hit the homer off Wells.

I had just bought 4 beers and they all went flying all over the place, I didn't care, it was amazing. I am actually in the camera during that homer. As the ball is about to land, you can see me jumping like a wild man. I swear, it felt like I jumped 5 feet off the ground. Everyone was hugging, soaked in beer, it was crazy.

I was there for Iguchi's "play" at 2nd. I remember sitting in my seats in the leftfield bleachers, and when I close my eyes, I can still see him making that play. I couldn't believe what I had just seen. Everyone in the section looked at each other like, "***?!?!?!" It was great!!!!!

And of course, that game against Houston last year. When the Sox were down, what was it, 10-3 in the 8th and came back to tie it. When Gooch hit the grandslam to tie the game, the stadium went bonkers, it was amazing. I had a beer, and I launched the thing into the air. Everyone in my section got soaked, not just by my beer, but by the other 15-20 that were thrown into the air. It was beyond words.

Thank You Iguchi for all those memories plus the many many more!!!!

I actually have scrubs tickets for Monday's game against the Phillies! I bought them a long time ago because I wanted to see Rowand, now I will see Gooch as well! Can't wait!!!!!

LITTLE NELL
07-27-2007, 06:50 PM
Sad to see Tad go. Im really depressed, how did this all fall apart so fast?

Patrick134
07-27-2007, 06:53 PM

He's a free agent anyway. It only came about because Utley got injured.

getonbckthr
07-27-2007, 06:54 PM
Age, injuries, bad bullpen.

TommyJohn
07-27-2007, 06:55 PM
When I heard that Iguchi was traded, my reaction was Bermanesque-
"Ohhhhhhhh, Nooooooooo!" I will remember the ALDS home run and the
grand slams against Houston and the Cubs. Hope he does well in
Philly.

WhiteSox5187
07-27-2007, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the memories! Game two of the ALDS (Berman was near tears), that catch and throw and how about drilling a grand slam off the Cubs after Barrett sucker punched AJ? Or driving in what, seven runs within two innings against the Astros last year to force extra innings? Love ya, miss ya, and have fun with Rowand! :gulp:

Jurr
07-27-2007, 07:05 PM
He was definitely "Captain Git 'em Over". Solid, solid ballplayer.
Turnover sucks, but them's the breaks. At least we can finally look back on players and say, "Man, he was great IN THE YEAR WE WON THE WS".

Over By There
07-27-2007, 07:17 PM
I won't remember a specific moment about Tadahito. The thing I'll remember is how damn solid he was at the plate in 2005 whenever we needed him. He just had a knack for doing the little things, moving the runner over. He was such a critical part of our success.

Best of luck, Tadahito. :cheers:

October26
07-27-2007, 07:29 PM
I just got home from work and heard of the trade. I'm in shock, as I'm sure Tadahito is too. :(: This is a sad day.

Thank you, Tadahito for playing so hard for the White Sox. You helped make the Chicago White Sox World Series Champions. We will never forget you!

Mr. White Sox
07-27-2007, 07:30 PM
From the Trib:

Iguchi, who is a non-compensation free agent after the season, cried when manager Ozzie Guillen broke the news Friday afternoon. He said his family would stay in Chicago for the final two months of the season and that he would consider re-signing with the Sox this winter.

GlassSox
07-27-2007, 07:39 PM
This SUCKS!

Thanks for the memories Goochie San. I am almost at a loss for words at this time but I must remember the defensive throw at 2nd base. We were there and it was amazing.

Good luck in Philly and I will come see you play.

miker
07-27-2007, 08:13 PM
I knew this was coming but it still gets me. Iguchi was a good, not great, player, with some great clutch hits and catches, all while working in a strange country with a strange language.

I hope he helps the Phillies.

Good luck Tadahito. This Sapporo's for you. :gulp:

roadrunner
07-27-2007, 08:19 PM
I knew this was coming but it still gets me. Iguchi was a good, not great, player, with some great clutch hits and catches, all while working in a strange country with a strange language.

I hope he helps the Phillies.

Good luck Tadahito. This Sapporo's for you. :gulp:

ditto

StillMissOzzie
07-27-2007, 08:26 PM
Thanks for all of your contributions to the 2005 campaign, Gooch. I'll always remember that gravity-defying full layout grab & throw he made, that will be in Sox highlight reels for years to come.

Now go kick some Cubbie ass next weekend!

SMO
:gulp:

Malgar 12
07-27-2007, 08:57 PM
You were the I-guchiest! The Sox never would have won the World Series without you. (ie Wee Willie at 2B).

Palehose Pete
07-27-2007, 09:15 PM
Said it in the Trade Thread, but thanks, Gooch, for the '05 Championship season and good luck in Philly. Say "Hey" to Rowand for us. To quote some others here, this Kirin is for you. :gulp:

ChiSoxFan7
07-27-2007, 09:21 PM
I think he was the best number 2 hitter i've ever seen. He did everything that was asked of him and sometimes more than. His '05 season alone (as a rookie:tongue:) will make him on of my personal fav. players in my short sox fan life.

gaelhound
07-27-2007, 09:22 PM
Tadahito! I still chuckle when I picture my daughters face when, after the homer against the soon to be deposed Red Sox, I announced that Iwas officially changing her nname to Tadahito.:wink:

Foulke You
07-27-2007, 10:12 PM

Good call on the upper deck shaking during ALDS Game 2. That whole ballpark was shaking after Iguchi hit it out. I didn't get to go to any ALCS or World Series games (couldn't afford the scalped prices) but I did get to go to Game 1 and 2 of the ALDS and I'll never forget that Iguchi HR off of Wells. My Uncle and I sat next to a Japanese woman who spoke broken English and told us she flew all the way to Chicago to see Iguchi play in that game. When Iguchi jacked it out, she was jumping up and down with all the Sox fans too but I don't think anyone was jumping higher than she was. You couldn't wipe that smile off her face the rest of the game.:cool:

GlassSox
07-27-2007, 10:24 PM
Good call on the upper deck shaking during ALDS Game 2. That whole ballpark was shaking after Iguchi hit it out. I didn't get to go to any ALCS or World Series games (couldn't afford the scalped prices) but I did get to go to Game 1 and 2 of the ALDS and I'll never forget that Iguchi HR off of Wells. My Uncle and I sat next to a Japanese woman who spoke broken English and told us she flew all the way to Chicago to see Iguchi play in that game. When Iguchi jacked it out, she was jumping up and down with all the Sox fans too but I don't think anyone was jumping higher than she was. You couldn't wipe that smile off her face the rest of the game.:cool:

What a great story! We will miss the Gooch.

y2j2785
07-27-2007, 10:25 PM
Good Luck Gooch! :gulp:

Tragg
07-27-2007, 10:57 PM
Grand slam in the playoffs. Doesn't get better than that. Thanks, Iguchi, and good luck.

jabrch
07-27-2007, 11:12 PM
I will always appreciate what Gooch did for us in 2005. Thanks for the memories!

itsnotrequired
07-27-2007, 11:34 PM
Grand slam in the playoffs. Doesn't get better than that. Thanks, Iguchi, and good luck.

When did this happen?

oeo
07-27-2007, 11:35 PM
When did this happen?

Japanese playoffs? :dunno:

RowanDye
07-27-2007, 11:39 PM
Tadahito Iguchi is a big man in a small body.

He will be remembered since long time.

No doubt that the sun will not set in his life quite yet.

esbrechtel
07-27-2007, 11:58 PM
I will miss Iguchi...I'll never forget in 05 when he hit that homer, I screamed I LOVE JAPAN! I was there when he hit the slam against the cubs and against the 'stros to tie it in the ninth, I was also there for his matrix catch and throw, I will never forget those moments and I will never forget Tadahito Iguchi:gulp:

TomParrish79
07-28-2007, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the memories gooch

chisoxfanatic
07-28-2007, 12:11 AM
I was there for Game 2 of the ALDS and was pumped up so much after he hit his blast against Wells. Comiskey went SO LOUD after that and was rockin' the rest of the night, hanging on each pitch thenafter. Thank you, Tadahito, for leaving a nice image in my mind that will last a lifetime.

madopal
07-28-2007, 12:13 AM
Found it on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T1jKKKYYtg

Oyasuminasai, Iguchi-san.

kidmccarthy
07-28-2007, 12:19 AM
the 05 1-2 combo of pods and iguchi was such an unbelievable success for Kenny Williams, he still deserves a beer for taking that chance. It worked out well, World series champs well. I will never forget the game against the Astros last year. Pure dynamite. Take philly to the promised land, you truly are a class act Tadahito.

goon
07-28-2007, 12:39 AM
The kid can play.

I sincerely hope there is room for both Richar and Iguchi in '08.

ilsox7
07-28-2007, 12:42 AM
The one word that comes to mind when I think of Tad is professional. He was just a professional in everything he did. Even this year, when he has struggled a lot, he has gone about playing the game professionally. Cheers, Mr. World Champion!

oeo
07-28-2007, 12:44 AM
The one word that comes to mind when I think of Tad is professional. He was just a professional in everything he did. Even this year, when he has struggled a lot, he has gone about playing the game professionally. Cheers, Mr. World Champion!

And never once did he try to cuss out the umpire in Japanese. He would always get that frustrated look, but just step out of the box for a moment and get right back in.

I don't think I've ever seen him angry...I can't even picture him mad.

skobabe8
07-28-2007, 12:45 AM
:whiner:

Vernam
07-28-2007, 08:04 AM
My first (and to date only) foul ball I ever caught at a game was off of Iguchi last season. He has launched a few more up there as well.

520 will miss ye...Me, too! Caught my first foul off him in 527 this year, 9th inning of a dismal loss to the Yanks.

I was also at the game where Iguchi hit that homer off Wells in the ALDS, and the game vs. Toronto where he made that spectacular, parallel-to-the-ground throw. He'll always have a place in Sox fans' hearts, with the rest of the '05 team. :thumbsup:

Vernam

soxfan1965
07-28-2007, 10:04 AM
Tad, you are special. You will always be known as the second baseman of the 2005 team. You came with solid fundamentals, did the little things, made the clutch hits, and played the great defense to help win it for a team and city that's waited way too long. Most of all, you are a class act the way you conducted yourself on the field and off the field (like with that boy needing a heart transplant). You are joining another class player, Aaron. We wish you success, hopefully another ring! Even if you and/or Aaron don't return to the Sox, please return often after you retire, there always a special place for you in White Sox Nation.

Woofer
07-28-2007, 10:51 AM
I will never forget the atmosphere at the park after his game 2 home run against Boston in the ALDS. One thing that really still gets to me when I think about it is as the crowd was emptying out of the park down the ramps, everyone was singing "LETS GO WHITE SOX!" and "TADAHITO!". I had never felt more Sox Pride in my life. Thanks Tadahito, for being a great player in that great season. Have a great series against the Cubs, good luck with the Phillies. :(:

MarySwiss
07-28-2007, 11:06 AM
Found it on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T1jKKKYYtg

Oyasuminasai, Iguchi-san.

Wow, watching that gave me goosebumps all over again! Amazing!

chisox77
07-28-2007, 11:36 AM
That three-run homer off Wells in game 2 of ALDS against Boston was sensational. I was there, and lost my voice for a week over that moment!

Thanks, Gooch, for your talent, your clutch hits, your solid fielding, and being a strong part of the best baseball team Chicago had in almost a century.

Best wishes for success in Philly, but you are always welcome here!

:D:

GregO23
07-28-2007, 12:39 PM
There were pretty good memories of Gooch, but a memory I am going to miss is him being lost whenever he swings and misses. He does a spin around once he misses...Its classic lol

Im going to miss Tadigooch

Top Gooch memories
1. 3run HR off Red sox
2. Grandslam the inning of or after the AJP/Barrett
3. The actrobatic throw to first, and the commercial being played like 5 times a day!

TomBradley72
07-28-2007, 12:52 PM
I've been a fan since 1971...Gooch has been the best White Sox 2nd baseman over the time I've been a White Sox fan. A class act, part of the 2005 team, and a great guy. :gulp:

WhiteSoxJunkie
07-28-2007, 01:00 PM
I remember being at a game in June 05 with my sister. She had had a few beers and kept yelling "IGUCHIO!" I kept joking that she was combining Iguchi with Ichiro.

Christmas of 05 one of my friends bought me a stuffed animal of a penguin because that's my favorite animal. I decided to name it after someone on the Sox. For whatever reason, Iguchi was the first player to come to mind so that's my penguin's name.

6 months later I came home from that same friend's grad party at 9:00. I turn on the Sox game and see they are down 9-2. Then this happened. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLPA9vhvbHc&mode=related&search= (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLPA9vhvbHc&mode=related&search)= Thanks for everything Gooch!

ChiSoxGirl
07-28-2007, 01:30 PM
I remember being at a game in June 05 with my sister. She had had a few beers and kept yelling "IGUCHIO!" I kept joking that she was combining Iguchi with Ichiro.

Christmas of 05 one of my friends bought me a stuffed animal of a penguin because that's my favorite animal. I decided to name it after someone on the Sox. For whatever reason, Iguchi was the first player to come to mind so that's my penguin's name.

6 months later I came home from that same friend's grad party at 9:00. I turn on the Sox game and see they are down 9-2. Then this happened. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLPA9vhvbHc&mode=related&search= (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLPA9vhvbHc&mode=related&search)= Thanks for everything Gooch!

Did you happen to notice who he hit the small off of? Yep... that's Lidge on the mound. :wink: That guy hasn't been the same pitcher since the Pujols HR in Game 5 of the NLCS.

What a moment that night was in Iguchi's career as a Sox. The energy in the ballpark that night reminds of me that in October '05. I'd give anything to have it back.

Frankfan4life
07-28-2007, 01:48 PM
So long Tads, thanks for 2005 and all the rest of the good memories. Because you helped bring a World Championship to the White Sox, you'll always have a place in my heart.

Domo arigato Tadahitosan and 幸運を祈る.

Dan Mega
07-28-2007, 02:36 PM
Thanks Gooch. Maybe we'll see ya back next year.

thomas35forever
07-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Thanks for 2005, Gooch. I'll always remember your home run against the Red Sox as well as "The Play" last year against Toronto. Good luck in Philly and say hi to Aaron and Freddy for us.

Brian26
07-28-2007, 04:04 PM
Top Gooch memories
1. 3run HR off Red sox
2. Grandslam the inning of or after the AJP/Barrett
3. The actrobatic throw to first, and the commercial being played like 5 times a day!

I agree with you on #1 and #3, but I think #2 should be the two homers, including the 9th inning grand slam, off the Astros on Sunday night baseball last year.

GlassSox
07-28-2007, 04:14 PM
I've been a fan since 1971...Gooch has been the best White Sox 2nd baseman over the time I've been a White Sox fan. A class act, part of the 2005 team, and a great guy. :gulp:

I agree 100%. Tadahito is class act and has been a solid player. Philly will appreciate him and I hope they shout "Gooch" as we did so often.

joepoe
07-28-2007, 07:14 PM
Thanks to "Tadahootie" (DJ's goof up in 2005) for 2.5 yrs at second base.

He was great in '05, not bad in '06 and not so much in '07.

PKalltheway
07-28-2007, 07:14 PM
Man, I'm gonna miss Gooch. I'll never forget him helping us win the world title, his AMAZING play against the Blue Jays, and the 2 homers and 7 RBI's he had in the 8th and 9th inning against the Astros last year to "single-handedly TIE THIS GAME!" (in the words of Jon Miller). Gooch, we'll miss ya buddy. Best of luck in Philly.:smile:

balke
07-28-2007, 08:01 PM
He did the Sox proud, and I'm happy he went to the Phillies. They are kinda becoming our sister organization or something. I'd love to see the Phillies make a W.S. run with Gooch and Rowand there.

EastCoastSoxFan
07-30-2007, 09:56 AM
My favorite Iguchi moment:

The game at Yankee Stadium in 2005 when the fan jumped on the screen behind home plate.

Earlier in that game Iguchi hit a solo home run to right field, and as I recall it entered the lower deck directly above a right-field wall billboard that was written in Japanese (I think for the Tokyo Times Newspaper or something).

Classic.

And we ended up winning the game 2-1.

Thanks for the memories and the 3-run homer off Wells in the '05 ALDS (Ohhhhh, nooooo!!!!!)...

KenBerryGrab
07-30-2007, 01:57 PM
Besides these other great memories, there was the early August 2005 afternoon game against Toronto that Marte tried to give away. Our family was sweating it out in right field, and in the eighth, Tadahito went BOOM in our direction and the Sox won.

areilly
07-30-2007, 02:40 PM
I was lucky enough to be there for ALDS game 2, and just when it looked like the BoSox' lead was insurmountable, Gooch brought it all back with one swing.

Possibly the best sporting moment I've ever been present for. Thank you for that, Tadahito.

Luke
07-30-2007, 03:19 PM
I was lucky enough to be there for ALDS game 2, and just when it looked like the BoSox' lead was insurmountable, Gooch brought it all back with one swing.

Possibly the best sporting moment I've ever been present for. Thank you for that, Tadahito.

Me too. That was the most exciting time I've ever had at the ballpark.

I'll miss him, thank him, wish him luck, and say it was time to move on.

MISoxfan
07-30-2007, 08:07 PM
Game 2 of the ALDS, best game I've ever been to in person. Thanks Iguchi.

kevin57
07-30-2007, 08:43 PM
Thanks Tadahito.
This year was a rough one for you, but when you moved Pods over the third to start games off in '05, I knew something special was happening. :smile:

slavko
07-31-2007, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the memories and the 3-run homer off Wells in the '05 ALDS (Ohhhhh, nooooo!!!!!)...

I had to go back to my DVD to hear that again. Priceless. He hit a similar curve ball out of Wrigley yesterday.

BadBobbyJenks
07-31-2007, 11:34 AM
And I loved being in the bleachers last night chanting GUUUUUUUCCCCCHHHHHHHHH as he ripped that lilly curve ala david wells in 05

southsidesoxfan1
07-31-2007, 11:41 AM
Game 2 of the ALDS, best game I've ever been to in person. Thanks Iguchi.

Best playoff game I was blessed to attend. I remember the place just erupting. I swear the place was shaking from the roar.

Three cheers for the Gooch!:gulp:

PushinWeight
07-31-2007, 01:09 PM
Hate to see him go, but I understand why. No White Sox fan will ever forget your three run bomb off of Wells in October '05.

Marqhead
07-31-2007, 01:30 PM
Best sporting event I've ever been to was ALDS game 2 in 2005, I'll always remember Gooch for that one.

Was also there to see that incredible play against the Blue Jays.

Iguchi was a great player, I know Sox fans will always remember him fondly.

PalehosePlanet
07-31-2007, 03:31 PM
Thanks for everything Gooch! I can assure you that you will ALWAYS be remembered fondly. 20 - 30 years from now when we hear your name it'll bring a smile to our faces. You're a White Sox champion -- always.

And, of course, as so many others have already said: Game 2 of ALDS was by far the best and most memorable game I've ever been to thanks in large part to that 3 run shot.

Sayonara Tadahito.

BoysMom3
07-31-2007, 06:30 PM
Gooch, you were one of my favorite players. I will miss you. Best wishes to ya.

BoysMom3
07-31-2007, 06:43 PM
From the Trib:

Iguchi, who is a non-compensation free agent after the season, cried when manager Ozzie Guillen broke the news Friday afternoon. He said his family would stay in Chicago for the final two months of the season and that he would consider re-signing with the Sox this winter.

Great and amazing memories brought up in this thread.

I was there for what he did in Game 2 of the 2005 ALDS vs. Boston (Was there for all the games in the '05 postseason). I was standing, at the time, along the concourse in left-field when he hit the homer off Wells.

I had just bought 4 beers and they all went flying all over the place, I didn't care, it was amazing. I am actually in the camera during that homer. As the ball is about to land, you can see me jumping like a wild man. I swear, it felt like I jumped 5 feet off the ground. Everyone was hugging, soaked in beer, it was crazy.

I was there for Iguchi's "play" at 2nd. I remember sitting in my seats in the leftfield bleachers, and when I close my eyes, I can still see him making that play. I couldn't believe what I had just seen. Everyone in the section looked at each other like, "***?!?!?!" It was great!!!!!

And of course, that game against Houston last year. When the Sox were down, what was it, 10-3 in the 8th and came back to tie it. When Gooch hit the grandslam to tie the game, the stadium went bonkers, it was amazing. I had a beer, and I launched the thing into the air. Everyone in my section got soaked, not just by my beer, but by the other 15-20 that were thrown into the air. It was beyond words.

Thank You Iguchi for all those memories plus the many many more!!!!

And a quote from Foulke You: "Good call on the upper deck shaking during ALDS Game 2. That whole ballpark was shaking after Iguchi hit it out. I didn't get to go to any ALCS or World Series games (couldn't afford the scalped prices) but I did get to go to Game 1 and 2 of the ALDS and I'll never forget that Iguchi HR off of Wells. My Uncle and I sat next to a Japanese woman who spoke broken English and told us she flew all the way to Chicago to see Iguchi play in that game. When Iguchi jacked it out, she was jumping up and down with all the Sox fans too but I don't think anyone was jumping higher than she was. You couldn't wipe that smile off her face the rest of the game.:cool:"

Wiping some tears. For real. :whiner:

itsnotrequired
07-31-2007, 07:07 PM
The Soxcast podcast from July 28 has some good Iguchi moments. Check out the last 3 minutes or so.

http://www.soxcast.com/podcasts/soxcast103.mp3

IronFisk
08-01-2007, 12:16 AM
His ALDS HR has to be one of the top five greatest moments in Sox history. Maybe even top three - propelled us to the title.

Thanks Gooch - it was a GREAT ride!

DachnoPiitu
08-01-2007, 03:30 PM
The Soxcast podcast from July 28 has some good Iguchi moments. Check out the last 3 minutes or so.

http://www.soxcast.com/podcasts/soxcast103.mp3

This is a great compilation!

I will never forget that 6/25/6 game. The crowd went nuts.

I will miss you Tadahito! Good luck in Philly!

SPUDSTER
08-03-2007, 08:15 PM
Maybe After Cleaning Up House Gooch Will Be Back. Stranger Things Have Happened

GlassSox
08-03-2007, 10:25 PM
Maybe After Cleaning Up House Gooch Will Be Back. Stranger Things Have Happened

I hope so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nellie_Fox
08-03-2007, 11:51 PM
Maybe After Cleaning Up House Gooch Will Be Back. Stranger Things Have HappenedUnusual use of capitalization. It made me read the post like each word was a new sentence.

wassagstdu
08-04-2007, 07:02 AM
Iguchi was such a huge part of the 2005 team, (non-pitching) MVP in my book. Closest thing to Nellie Fox since Nellie Fox -- trading some strikeouts for some pop. Maybe combining the best of Fox and Durham. A solid all-around baseball player, fun to watch.

More than this year's (and last year's second half) flops, looking back a few years from now I think I will see Iguchi-san's departure as the end of the "2005 era," he was such a key part of it. His performance personified the team-first attitude that was the main source of that success.

How about starting a "Gooch AND Rowand will be back" cult here??