PDA

View Full Version : Chin-Lung Hu

JohnTucker0814
07-27-2007, 01:56 PM
Any chance we can get this guy from LA? Has anyone heard what LA may want in return for this guy? Would Dye bring him back straight up? Would Contreras and a Broadway bring him?

From the reports I've read this kid is dynamite at SS. He fields his position well above average and he is hitting the ball pretty well this year: .341 ave, only .388 obp which is a little dissapointed considering the average.

Are there better SS options that are '08 ready?

letsgosox1592
07-27-2007, 02:53 PM
I want Kenny to trade Dye and Contreras fro him. I dont care if we would be getting ripped off for right now but Dyes gone after this year and Contreras sucks, and Chin-Lung Hu would be our starting shortstop for many years to come. I would love for him to become apart of the Soxs.

broker3d
07-27-2007, 03:08 PM
.341 ave, only .388 obp which is a little dissapointed considering the average.

We only have 1 guy on our 2007 team with an OBP higher than Hu's .388 and that is Jim Thome. Our next closest is Mackowiak at .363. I understand your point because you want to see more walks from him but I would love to get his .388 OBP, even though it is minor leagues.

JohnTucker0814
07-27-2007, 03:11 PM
We only have 1 guy on our 2007 team with an OBP higher than Hu's .388 and that is Jim Thome. Our next closest is Mackowiak at .363. I understand your point because you want to see more walks from him but I would love to get his .388 OBP, even though it is minor leagues.

True... does anyone know what kind of speed this kid has. I see he has 13 SB this year, but that doesn't stand out as having blazing speed for a SS.

jsg-07
07-27-2007, 03:11 PM
I want Kenny to trade Dye and Contreras fro him. I dont care if we would be getting ripped off for right now but Dyes gone after this year and Contreras sucks, and Chin-Lung Hu would be our starting shortstop for many years to come. I would love for him to become apart of the Soxs.

This actually does not sound like a bad idea. If he is ready to be an every day short stop, think of the money you'd save with dropping Jose, Dye and Uribe. That money could easily be spent on keeping gooch, getting a new CF'er and bullpen help (maybe even a fifth starter if you do not want to rely on Floyd). Then you keep Pods (cheap) and he can keep left field and owens can play a good portion of the time as well to keep Scotty healty.

Pods / Owens
Gooch
Thome
Konerko
New CF'er (rowand, hunter, etc.)
AJ
Fields / Crede (one of which can be traded before the deadline next year depending on how Joe is doing)
Hu
Sweeney

Keeps a good group of the core together for chemistry then with the $20+ million in savings from dropping Dye, Jose and buying out Uribe, you can actually afford a decent CF'er and some bp help.

oeo
07-27-2007, 03:15 PM

That's if those are his numbers in the big leagues, which I doubt. He's batting .341, but only has a .388 OBP, which means he doesn't walk very much. Then again, neither does our current SS. :tongue:

Pods / Owens
Gooch
Thome
Konerko
AJ
Fields / Crede (one of which can be traded before the deadline next year depending on how Joe is doing)
Hu
Sweeney

Crede is as good as gone after next year. Fields is already showing 30-homerun potential, and he's cheap as dirt for years.

And as for Pods...I like the guy, I really do. I think he means a lot to this team when he's out there playing. The problem is, he's never playing because he's never healthy. We need a new Pods, unfortunately. No Owens, either. For those of you that think he's kicking ass, Rotoworld said his stats since the All Star Break are .254/.319/.270 in 63 at-bats. Just imagine those numbers without the weak, infield singles.

getonbckthr
07-27-2007, 03:17 PM
This actually does not sound like a bad idea. If he is ready to be an every day short stop, think of the money you'd save with dropping Jose, Dye and Uribe. That money could easily be spent on keeping gooch, getting a new CF'er and bullpen help (maybe even a fifth starter if you do not want to rely on Floyd). Then you keep Pods (cheap) and he can keep left field and owens can play a good portion of the time as well to keep Scotty healty.

Pods / Owens
Gooch
Thome
Konerko
AJ
Hu
Sweeney

Keeps a good group of the core together for chemistry then with the $20+ million in savings from dropping Dye, Jose and buying out Uribe, you can actually afford a decent CF'er and some bp help.
No to Pods, Iguchi and Rowand.

JohnTucker0814
07-27-2007, 03:29 PM

Pods / Owens
Gooch
Thome
Konerko
AJ
Hu
Sweeney

I like the overall look of this, however I'm guessing Iguchi is gone. I think Ozzie wants Luis Castillo to play 2b and lead off... I'd love to get Hu and then be able to afford Andruw Jones to roam CF.

1. Castillo 2B
2. Pods/ Owens LF
3. Thome DH
4. Konerko 1B
5. Jones CF
6. A.J. C
7. Crede / Fields 3B
8. Sweeney RF
9. Hu SS

1. Buehrle
2. Garland
3. Vazquez
4. Danks
5. Gio / Floyd

You'd save the money from Dye ($7.5MM), Contreras ($9MM), Iguchi ($3.25MM), Uribe ($4.15MM); total of ($23.9MM) Plus try to get rid of Cintron's salary that will save a few more MM.

Castillo would cost $6MM
Jones would cost $16MM

Obviously we would have to spend some more money on our bullpen, but I don't see why we can't raise our payroll $10-15MM

getonbckthr
07-27-2007, 03:32 PM
I like the overall look of this, however I'm guessing Iguchi is gone. I think Ozzie wants Luis Castillo to play 2b and lead off... I'd love to get Hu and then be able to afford Andruw Jones to roam CF.

1. Castillo 2B
2. Pods/ Owens LF
3. Thome DH
4. Konerko 1B
5. Jones CF
6. A.J. C
7. Crede / Fields 3B
8. Sweeney RF
9. Hu SS

1. Buehrle
2. Garland
3. Vazquez
4. Danks
5. Gio / Floyd

You'd save the money from Dye ($7.5MM), Contreras ($9MM), Iguchi ($3.25MM), Uribe ($4.15MM); total of ($23.9MM) Plus try to get rid of Cintron's salary that will save a few more MM.

Castillo would cost $6MM
Jones would cost $16MM

Obviously we would have to spend some more money on our bullpen, but I don't see why we can't raise our payroll $10-15MM
Jones has already said he will demand 20 million meaning I can't imagine getting him at anything under 18. Oh and dont forget Burls is due like 5 million more, and Javy will get an additional 2 million.

Tragg
07-27-2007, 03:39 PM
Looks interesting. What would he cost in terms of players?

jsg-07
07-27-2007, 03:50 PM
No to Pods, Iguchi and Rowand.

I understand they are all not the "ideal" candidates for the positions, but I'm trying to be realistic here. We cannot go out and spend money on guys like Andrew Jones AND Torii Hunter and then still expect to have any money left for a bullpen and replace gooch and uribe.

JohnTucker0814
07-27-2007, 03:50 PM
Jones has already said he will demand 20 million meaning I can't imagine getting him at anything under 18. Oh and dont forget Burls is due like 5 million more, and Javy will get an additional 2 million.

Thats true, however I feel we need to make sure to replace Dye's power bat next year. We can't have just Konerko and Thome in the middle of our line-up. We need 1 more solid power hitter that is proven. I understand we need speed, but we can't afford to lose Dye's production either.