PDA

View Full Version : Erstad's Return = ?

chisoxfanatic
07-27-2007, 12:36 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/486507,CST-SPT-soxnt27.article

Not so fast
Outfielder Darin Erstad (sprained left ankle) was expected back from his rehab assignment at Class AAA Charlotte this week, but he has hit a snag and has been held out of two consecutive games with the Knights.
Erstad has started only one game for the Sox since June 1, and he left that start after a half-inning. There is now no timetable set for his return.

Looks like Erstad might be having health troubles there in Charlotte, or he wouldn't have missed a couple of games there. Does anyone who follows the Knights have the ability to confirm this?

This is quite sad that he's probably not going to be able to play more than half the season in all. I wonder if he'll EVER be back again!

salty99
07-27-2007, 12:37 PM
Yes I read that he had neck stiffness and couldn't play, but I'm not sure how serious it is.

SBSoxFan
07-27-2007, 12:41 PM
Buying him out really seems like it will be the easiest decision KW makes between now and spring 2008.

BainesHOF
07-27-2007, 12:48 PM
There's no reason whatsoever why Erstad should ever play for us again. He should not be given at-bats at the expense of our young players this season.

RockJock07
07-27-2007, 03:22 PM
I'd rather give an healthy Erstad AB's then Brian or even Owens. Although Owens has done very well of late. But if Erstad can't stay healthy i fear a buyout may be coming.

getonbckthr
07-27-2007, 06:20 PM
I feel like such an ******* for saying this but Thank God.

whitesoxfan
07-27-2007, 06:29 PM
I'd rather give an healthy Erstad AB's then Brian or even Owens. Although Owens has done very well of late. But if Erstad can't stay healthy i fear a buyout may be coming.

Uh, what? I'm sorry, but that may be the stupidest thing I've heard in quite some time. Let's give AB's to a bumbling, injury-prone OF instead of the younger kids like Owens or Sweeney who need the experience :rolleyes:

getonbckthr
07-27-2007, 06:47 PM
Uh, what? I'm sorry, but that may be the stupidest thing I've heard in quite some time. Let's give AB's to a bumbling, injury-prone OF instead of the younger kids like Owens or Sweeney who need the experience :rolleyes:
Ya but he grinds!

JB98
07-27-2007, 07:24 PM
Owens certainly "grinds out" just as well as Erstad. Maybe I should start a count of weak grounders to the right side of the infield. :rolleyes:

getonbckthr
07-27-2007, 07:26 PM
Owens certainly "grinds out" just as well as Erstad. Maybe I should start a count of weak grounders to the right side of the infield. :rolleyes:
At least he will stay healthy.

UserNameBlank
07-27-2007, 08:48 PM
Iguchi, a starting 2B who (not long ago) was among the best 2Bs in the AL, but who is having a mediocre year, goes in a rent-a-player deal for a low A pitcher about whom I can find not a single glowing scouting report.

Scott Linebrink, a setup man who (not long ago) was among the best setup men in the NL, but who is having a mediocre year, goes in a rent-a-player deal for three minor league pitchers -- each of whom may be a better prospect than Dubee.

Wow. I don't know what was out there, but it feels like we were robbed. It doesn't matter that we have Richar ready to step in; it matters that the Phils are in a playoff race, lost one of their best players, and have just plugged the hole with a complete player, a solid veteran with a World Series ring.

Why does it feel like this so often with KW trades? At least there have been a number of pleasant surprises after the fact.
Linebrink is worth two draft picks including a first rounder so he is worth more.

I don't know what you guys were expecting from this type of move, but if this trade gets you down you must be easily upset. One would think people would actually be excited that KW dumped a 32 year old 2B in the last year of his contract in order to make room for a 24 year old prospect who is tearing up Triple A.

Tragg
07-27-2007, 09:10 PM
Linebrink is worth two draft picks including a first rounder so he is worth more.

I don't know what you guys were expecting from this type of move, but if this trade gets you down you must be easily upset. One would think people would actually be excited that KW dumped a 32 year old 2B in the last year of his contract in order to make room for a 24 year old prospect who is tearing up Triple A.
2B wasn't really a position of great weakness; like, oh CF. So while we give away a player, Iguchi, so that we can see what the AAA 2B will do, we are readying for the return of Erstad so he can crowd out the development of young players.

The Sox don't need A ball pitchers. What the Sox need is a CFer.
Ozzie has basically said Pods, who produced greatly for the Sox and is twice the offensive player ERstad is, is finished....but he awaits Erstad's return with open arms.

UserNameBlank
07-27-2007, 09:23 PM
2B wasn't really a position of great weakness; like, oh CF. So while we give away a player, Iguchi, so that we can see what the AAA 2B will do, we are readying for the return of Erstad so he can crowd out the development of young players.

The Sox don't need A ball pitchers. What the Sox need is a CFer.
Ozzie has basically said Pods, who produced greatly for the Sox and is twice the offensive player ERstad is, is finished....but he awaits Erstad's return with open arms.
I normally agree with you on stuff, but I think you're kind of overreacting here. Iguchi wasn't going to be brought back and his replacement is ready. Now is the perfect time to let Richar get comfortable in the Major Leagues.

On Pods, I hope he's gone. Sweeney should be up here right now. On Erstad, I hope he's gone too. If Erstad comes back somewhat healthy I doubt he passes through waivers, which is a good thing because we can dump him too, as his option isn't going to vest and someone will want a backup CF for the postseason run.

Besides, I doubt Ozzie is going to have a ton to do with player personnel decisions right now. Kenny needs to search the minors for young productive players and Ozzie doesn't know who those guys are. Kenny will fill the roster and it'll be up to Ozzie to play the right guys for the job. If he can't then that is an issue KW and Ozzie will have to deal with on their own, but I highly doubt Erstad is going to be playing regularly if and when he comes back. The Iguchi trade should be a sign that the Sox will begin dumping those players who can't help us in the future.

santo=dorf
07-27-2007, 09:27 PM
If people start exaggerating about how great he is at moving runners over I will help you assist.

He gone
07-27-2007, 09:32 PM
Ya but he grinds!

Grinderman is 0-4 tonight and now batting .176 down in AAA :o:

Tragg
07-27-2007, 09:33 PM
Okay User, I'll calm down.

I hope you're right on all accords per your last post.
And I particularly hope Williams finds us some SS and CF talent.