PDA

View Full Version : Was It A Mistake To Sign Contreras Long-Term?

Thome25
07-27-2007, 10:08 AM
Looking back on it now, it seems like a mistake by KW to sign Contreras through '09.

He seems like he's all "used up". I sure hope he's not suffering from some kind of injury.

The last time the Sox were stuck with a pitcher (long term) that was this useless was Jaime Navarro. Except for the fact that Contreras is older(and might be alot older than he says he is) and more expensive.

What do you think? Did KW make a mistake with the Contreras contract? Granted it seems like he made up for it a little bit with the Vazquez deal.

I hate seeing the Sox stuck with an old, useless, pitcher who seems like he has nothing left in the tank. Not to mention the fact that he'll probably be eating up payroll that the Sox could be using on someone more useful.

I'd be surprised if someone took Contreras and his contract at the trade deadline.

soxfan80
07-27-2007, 10:10 AM
Yes.

spawn
07-27-2007, 10:12 AM
I'm going to say in hindsight, yes. But I don't blame kW signing him one bit.

Thome25
07-27-2007, 10:19 AM
Looking back on it, we could've applied the money from the Contreras contract to pay for some of another Jon Garland extension.

Luke
07-27-2007, 10:24 AM
At present, it would seem like yes, it was. That can all change fairly quickly though. Clearly Jose has not been the same pitcher he was before the bout with sciatica last year.

itsnotrequired
07-27-2007, 10:50 AM
Hindsight? Yes.

Foresight? Absolutely not.

balke
07-27-2007, 11:05 AM
Ask me next season when the season counts again. He's slumping, but he started out the ace of this staff from a good season last year. He's got 9 quality starts this season, which puts him ahead of Danks. If he can pull things together for 08' then I'll think we got something great.

Vazquez is doing great now, but where was that play last season when the team could've used it? Will it be here next season? We'll know more about the pitching staff in 08'.

dakuda
07-27-2007, 11:10 AM
I heard somewhere (perhaps on here), that he is going through a divorce now and that may be part of a mental problem. Lack of focus, etc. He is definitely going through a rough part. Hopefully he pulls himself out of this funk.

BainesHOF
07-27-2007, 11:16 AM
At the time, no. Presently, yes.

You can't blame Kenny for re-signing a pitcher who was one of the best pitchers in baseball from the second half of 2005 through the first half of 2006.

In fact, signing Contreras was a sign to me the Sox were committed to paying and keeping our best players instead of trying to win on the cheap.

34 Inch Stick
07-27-2007, 11:18 AM
I wouldn't characterize Contrearas as having nothing left in the tank. He is still throwing hard and pain free. He is in excellent physical shape. He is just going through a bad stretch.

I don't think signing him was a mistake. That was a fair deal for both sides at the time of the signing. As bad as he has been, there is still a market for his services.

Thome25
07-27-2007, 11:24 AM
To me, a sign that he may have nothing left in the tank is that his velocity is way down. I'm not sure if that's due to age, injury, or something mental.

Maybe we should get El Duque back to be his "unofficial pitching coach" again.

jdm2662
07-27-2007, 11:49 AM
Had the Sox not resigned him, everyone here would've whinned how the Sox are cheap for not keeping one of the best pitchers in the game. Unless any of you had a crystal ball and could see he was going to be this bad, how could anyone say it was a bad signing at the time? Yes, he is bad now, but I seriously doubt anyone here predicted this.

SBSoxFan
07-27-2007, 11:53 AM
Looking back on it, we could've applied the money from the Contreras contract to pay for some of another Jon Garland extension.

Garland gets extended, and then his shoulder knot doesn't go away. Are we having this same discussion about Garland in 2 years? Let's focus on the future because something can actually be done about that.

"The future's so bright, I gotta wear :cool:"

kjhanson
07-27-2007, 01:31 PM
AHe's got 9 quality starts this season, which puts him ahead of Danks.

That is terribly misleading.
Even when Danks is not throwing a quality start, at least he is keeping us in the game (7.90 ERA in non-QS).
Contreras is really, really bad when he is off (11.10 ERA in non-QS).
For comparison:
MB: 7.10 ERA in non-QS
JG: 9.54 ERA in non-QS
JV: 6.40 ERA in non-QS

Patrick134
07-27-2007, 03:49 PM
Had the Sox not resigned him, everyone here would've whinned how the Sox are cheap for not keeping one of the best pitchers in the game. Unless any of you had a crystal ball and could see he was going to be this bad, how could anyone say it was a bad signing at the time? Yes, he is bad now, but I seriously doubt anyone here predicted this.

A-freakin-men. The 20/20 hinsdsight crowd out in mega full force on this one.

MinnySoxFan
07-27-2007, 03:54 PM
:?: You shouldn't sign a guy to a long term deal if you don't even know how old he is...

JB98
07-27-2007, 05:31 PM
This thread sucks; it's easy to know after the fact.

Daver
07-27-2007, 06:03 PM
No.

Skippy
07-27-2007, 07:00 PM
Ask me next season when the season counts again. He's slumping, but he started out the ace of this staff from a good season last year. He's got 9 quality starts this season, which puts him ahead of Danks. If he can pull things together for 08' then I'll think we got something great.

Vazquez is doing great now, but where was that play last season when the team could've used it? Will it be here next season? We'll know more about the pitching staff in 08'.

None of this matters unless they fix the bullpen.