PDA

View Full Version : Question about Gavin.

JermaineDye05
07-27-2007, 04:07 AM
So I've noticed he's still up with the big league club. Why is this? Do the Sox plan on having him spot start some more games? Or perhaps are one of the starters on their way out? If not I don't see the point of having him still up here when you could get another reliever (if any are ready to be called back up).

CharlieN2008
07-27-2007, 09:20 AM
So I've noticed he's still up with the big league club. Why is this? Do the Sox plan on having him spot start some more games? Or perhaps are one of the starters on their way out? If not I don't see the point of having him still up here when you could get another reliever (if any are ready to be called back up).

Today Guillen was talking about sending Contreras back to the bull pin. But he did not mention who was going to get the slot. I hope it is my guy Charlie Haeger

INSox56
07-27-2007, 11:33 AM
More likely than anything he's here in case a starter gets traded. One report I read had him here till at least Tuesday, so that's an obvious connection, but it makes sense any way you look at it. He'd be called up anyway if we traded someone, so just keep him here.

Ron Mexico
07-27-2007, 11:54 AM
Today Guillen was talking about sending Contreras back to the bull pin. But he did not mention who was going to get the slot. I hope it is my guy Charlie Haeger

bull pin? :?:

Sounds painful.

oeo
07-27-2007, 01:39 PM
MacDougal will probably be coming back soon, as well...so I don't see a couple of starters in the bullpen.

Hopefully we can ship Contreras out of here soon.

champagne030
07-27-2007, 02:06 PM

They're trying to make him more marketable by getting his ERA below 9 1/2 and his WHIP under 2.22. Oh wait, he has zero marketability so I really have no idea why he was acquired or is still in our system.

CashMan
07-27-2007, 02:16 PM
Isn't Gavin out of options? SO my guess is, if they send him down, it would be his release?

Lorenzo Barcelo
07-27-2007, 02:23 PM
Little off the subject, but did anyone see the guy that looks like Floyd in the Fathead commercial? I think it's him at least.

letsgosox1592
07-27-2007, 02:56 PM
Isn't Gavin out of options? SO my guess is, if they send him down, it would be his release?

Thats what I thought but only 1 option is used a year for a player and when the Sox had him start in AAA that was his use of option. So next year if hes not on the 25 man roster, they have to release him/DFA.

A. Cavatica
07-27-2007, 09:42 PM
The only reason I can think of is that we could've used him to balance the Iguchi deal.

Iguchi for Dubee: bad deal for the Sox.

Iguchi + Floyd for Dubee: better.

rowand33
07-27-2007, 10:31 PM
floyd has sucked pretty bad.

I'd like to see us try to make him into a reliever though.

A lot of pretty good relievers were crappy starters.

Eric Gagne was a crappy starter (not as crappy as Floyd) and he won a Cy Young as a closer.

Jon Rauch was a crappy starter, and he's a good reliever.

Can Floyd really be worse than a Wasserman or a Day? And if he is, does it really matter at this point? It's worth a shot to at least try to groom him for the role and hope he ends up being decent.

We certainly don't want him starting for the Sox.

letsgosox1592
07-27-2007, 10:55 PM
floyd has sucked pretty bad.

I'd like to see us try to make him into a reliever though.

A lot of pretty good relievers were crappy starters.

Eric Gagne was a crappy starter (not as crappy as Floyd) and he won a Cy Young as a closer.

Jon Rauch was a crappy starter, and he's a good reliever.

Can Floyd really be worse than a Wasserman or a Day? And if he is, does it really matter at this point? It's worth a shot to at least try to groom him for the role and hope he ends up being decent.

We certainly don't want him starting for the Sox.
I agree on the part of Day sucking but I think Wasserman can be a very good major league reliever. He had one shaky outing and all the rest been pretty good. I think he can be another Pat Neshek because of the motion.

RowanDye
07-28-2007, 01:12 PM
I agree on the part of Day sucking but I think Wasserman can be a very good major league reliever. He had one shaky outing and all the rest been pretty good. I think he can be another Pat Neshek because of the motion.

I don't think he has anything like that nasty change-up Neshek has though.

Wasserman has looked pretty good, but I'm always a little concerned with guys like him that the league will figure him out.

I think he has more movement on his fastball than someone like Neal Cotts, but once the league figured out Cotts' supposedly deceptive delivery he was done.

As for Gavin Floyd, I think he deserves a little more time as a starter. When he came here from Philly I think you have to pretty much wipe the slate clean. He pitched well in AAA this year and he's only had 2 outings so far. He pitched against two of the better teams in baseball and I think he showed improvement from his 1st start to 2nd start, although granted it wasn't hard to improve over the first outing. If a move is made with Contreras, I think they should give Gavin 4-5 more starts to try and figure it out.

rowand33
07-28-2007, 05:01 PM
I don't think he has anything like that nasty change-up Neshek has though.

Wasserman has looked pretty good, but I'm always a little concerned with guys like him that the league will figure him out.

I think he has more movement on his fastball than someone like Neal Cotts, but once the league figured out Cotts' supposedly deceptive delivery he was done.

As for Gavin Floyd, I think he deserves a little more time as a starter. When he came here from Philly I think you have to pretty much wipe the slate clean. He pitched well in AAA this year and he's only had 2 outings so far. He pitched against two of the better teams in baseball and I think he showed improvement from his 1st start to 2nd start, although granted it wasn't hard to improve over the first outing. If a move is made with Contreras, I think they should give Gavin 4-5 more starts to try and figure it out.

I'd much rather start Haeger. I think he could be a durable innings eater and solid 4th/5th starter for years to come. And he's done much more in the majors last september and this season to earn the right to start than Gavin has.

eriqjaffe
07-28-2007, 05:42 PM
Isn't Gavin out of options? SO my guess is, if they send him down, it would be his release?No, he's still in an option year - the Sox can shuttle him back and forth as often as they want this season. Not so sure about after 2007, though - that depends on how long he's been on the 40-man roster between here and Philadelphia.