PDA

View Full Version : Roland Hemond goes to DBacks

UserNameBlank
07-26-2007, 10:43 PM
Didn't see this posted, but per MLB.com (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070726&content_id=2110559&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws):

Moving on: Roland Hemond, the White Sox highly respected executive advisor, has been named assistant to Arizona Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall. Hemond previously served as Arizona's senior executive vice president from 1996-2000.
Even with Hemond's return to the area where he currently resides, the longtime White Sox official and ambassador of baseball still will make White Sox appearances at events such as SoxFest.

I guess we'll see more deals with AZ in our future. Who will be taking over?

Lip Man 1
07-26-2007, 11:32 PM
User:

I had listed this item in the section involving the Shaffer / Williams "controversy" because I'm trying to find out if Roland was also asked to leave or forced out as Kenny's advisor.

Lip

Brian26
07-26-2007, 11:36 PM
I always took Hemond's current role as a generous offer from Reinsdorf to stay around as an adviser and ambassador. I doubt Hemond was really involved in the day to day operations along with Kenny.

Maybe there's more to it than what I see, but this is probably a nice chance for Hemond to be closer to his home in Arizona while still working in the same general capacity for Arizona as he was with the Sox.

WhiteSox5187
07-26-2007, 11:36 PM
User:

I had listed this item in the section involving the Shaffer / Williams "controversy" because I'm trying to find out if Roland was also asked to leave or forced out as Kenny's advisor.

Lip
If Roland was asked to leave, Kenny should be fired...we saw what happened last time Roland left and a former ballplayer was left to run a club.

Rockabilly
07-26-2007, 11:38 PM
I will never forgive Roland passing up Barry Bonds so he can draft Kurt Brown when we already had 2 catchers on the team..

Brian26
07-26-2007, 11:38 PM
If Roland was asked to leave, Kenny should be fired...we saw what happened last time Roland left and a former ballplayer was left to run a club.

Why would Hemond be asked to leave if he wasn't doing anything here to begin with? Let's not get carried away here. Kenny and Rick Hahn handle the GM duties.

Lip Man 1
07-26-2007, 11:41 PM
Brian:

I can tell you from the highest sources that Roland did play a role with Kenny. For one thing last season he was asked to observe the recent draft picks in Great Falls to make sure they were being taught properly. He had to fill out report forms and send them in to Dave Wilder on the coaching staff. (A staff I might add that saw most of its members fired after last year including manager Bobby Tolan, replaced by Cris Cron.)

I've left a message for Roland and hope to hear from him in the next few days.

Maybe it is simply wanting to stay closer to his home but with all the charity work he does he's on the road a lot anyway. According to the story, that doesn't change since he'll be doing work like that for Arizona.

My gut is telling me there's more to this. I sincerely hope I'm wrong. Roland is to nice of a man and a professional to boot to have been shown the door again in a bad way. 1985 was enough.

Lip

WhiteSox5187
07-27-2007, 12:32 AM
Brian:

I can tell you from the highest sources that Roland did play a role with Kenny. For one thing last season he was asked to observe the recent draft picks in Great Falls to make sure they were being taught properly. He had to fill out report forms and send them in to Dave Wilder on the coaching staff. (A staff I might add that saw most of its members fired after last year including manager Bobby Tolan, replaced by Cris Cron.)

I've left a message for Roland and hope to hear from him in the next few days.

Maybe it is simply wanting to stay closer to his home but with all the charity work he does he's on the road a lot anyway. According to the story, that doesn't change since he'll be doing work like that for Arizona.

My gut is telling me there's more to this. I sincerely hope I'm wrong. Roland is to nice of a man and a professional to boot to have been shown the door again in a bad way. 1985 was enough.

Lip
I also thought he had a role in getting guys like AJ here in 2005.

Britt Burns
07-27-2007, 03:11 AM
I will never forgive Roland passing up Barry Bonds so he can draft Kurt Brown when we already had 2 catchers on the team..

Can you forgive Schu for passing up on Lance Berkman for Jason Dellaero? What about all those passed up for (to name but a few) Scott Ruffcorn, Eddie pearson, Scott Christman, Grady Hall, Jeff liefer, etc.

Please...the MLB draft is such a crapshoot. Name any GM with any amount of experience and anyone can find a 'If we had only drafted..' Oddly enoungh, you never hear 'Thank god we drafted Buerhrle in the 38th round...'

And the 2 catcher we had were, what, Fisk and Skinner? One was already at an advanced age, the other never amounted to much. Or Hassey? Karkovice, with his .220 career average? Obviosly Hemond made some mistakes, but I, and I would wager just about anyone in the biz would trust his judgement over just about anyone else.

Lip Man 1
07-27-2007, 01:51 PM
I just got off the phone with Roland. He is in Cooperstown with his wife for the Hall of Fame induction ceremonies.

He said there is no bad blood between him and the organization. That Kenny wasn't trying to 'force' him out (a la Duane Shaffer). That JR himself told him that "the move makes sense" since they live in Arizona.

Roland said he will still be doing some White Sox functions as long as they don't conflict with duties for the D-backs.

He said he'll be at Sox-Fest next January as well as being in Chicago when the Sox unveil the next statue next season.

Then he joked that 'hey the Diamondbacks gave me a better title!'

Seriously I was glad to hear that things are O.K. and that he wasn't being pushed out. He said he'll always be a member of the White Sox.

Good to hear overall!

Lip

WhiteSox5187
07-27-2007, 08:06 PM
I just got off the phone with Roland. He is in Cooperstown with his wife for the Hall of Fame induction ceremonies.

He is there is no bad blood between him and the organization. That Kenny wasn't trying to 'force' him out (a la Duane Shaffer). That JR himself told him that "the move makes sense" since they live in Arizona.

Roland said he will still be doing some White Sox functions as long as they don't conflict with duties for the D-backs.

He said he'll be at Sox-Fest next January as well as being in Chicago when the Sox unveil the next statue next season.

Then he joked that 'hey the Diamondbacks gave me a better title!'

Seriously I was glad to hear that things are O.K. and that he wasn't being pushed out. He said he'll always be a member of the White Sox.

Good to hear overall!

Lip
My dad worked with the Sox when Hemond was GM and he and David Dombrowski were more or less students (not to mention good friends with Roland) eventually though, my dad went into law (at Mr. Hemond's advice, and my dad just fell in love with being a lawyer), but he said that part of the reason was that Roland wasn't involved in any baseball operations with the Sox...how you could have a guy with Hemond's experience and NOT use him for baseball operations is beyond me.

Lip Man 1
07-27-2007, 08:16 PM
Roland was doing some baseball work for the Sox as I stated.

He evaluated the coaching staffs in the minor leagues and filed reports on them to Dave Wilder. He also did some scouting of Sox minor league players and advised Kenny on potential trades.

Lip

Brian26
07-27-2007, 08:34 PM
Hemond has been fun to listen to at the Soxfest seminars the last couple of years, as he has a lot of great stories about being GM- especially in the 70's. I loved listening to him talk about trading Bucky Dent to the Yankees and the trades he made with the Angels.

The sad thing is that a lot of the younger fans didn't really know who he was, so you'd see him walking around Soxfest between seminars not being recognized. If someone did recognize him, that person pretty much could talk to him for a long time.

Lip Man 1
07-28-2007, 09:55 PM
From Whitesox.com. Kenny talks about Roland:

Moving on: Roland Hemond, who served as White Sox general manager from 1970-1985 and an executive advisor in recent seasons, was named a special assistant to the president of the Arizona Diamondbacks on Thursday.

Hemond had been one of Williams closest advisors since Williams took his current post in 2000.

"The day I was named to this position, I had the idea to bring Roland on simply because I knew enough to know I didn't know enough," Williams said.

"To have a guy like him around to bounce ideas off, particularly in the first couple of years, his guidance meant the world to me.

"We will remain close. He drafted me and took interest in me as an 18-year-old kid. Part of my growing up in this particular job and sitting in this chair has a lot to do with him. I'll never forget him."
Hemond resides in Arizona and served as the senior executive vice president with the Diamondbacks from 1996-2000.

Lip