PDA

View Full Version : Further on Fields in Left

JungleJimR
07-26-2007, 04:59 PM
I must admit that I haven't seen this kid in the flesh since I live in NYC and only read my Sox box scores in the Times, but it sounds like Fields is a sound athlete - and on ESPN web gem highlights looks like a small fullback.
I also remember the really strong Yankee teams from the 60's and they had 2 rather slow catchers playing LF regularly - Berra and Elston Howard. While the Yanks CF was Mantle, he already had slowed down. These Yankees won most of the AL pennats during this period.

redsand22
07-26-2007, 05:13 PM
I must admit that I haven't seen this kid in the flesh since I live in NYC and only read my Sox box scores in the Times, but it sounds like Fields is a sound athlete - and on ESPN web gem highlights looks like a small fullback.
I also remember the really strong Yankee teams from the 60's and they had 2 rather slow catchers playing LF regularly - Berra and Elston Howard. While the Yanks CF was Mantle, he already had slowed down. These Yankees won most of the AL pennats during this period.
He really adds to the speed of the team!!

sullythered
07-26-2007, 05:15 PM
26 stolen bases last year at Charlotte. Oh and...

:tealpolice:

redsand22
07-26-2007, 05:17 PM
26 stolen bases last year at Charlotte. Oh and...

:tealpolice:

He looks just as slow as Paulie and Thome! From OL huh? I grew up there.

veeter
07-26-2007, 05:18 PM
Josh has above avg. speed.

balke
07-26-2007, 05:19 PM
I saw a play last night on a ball down the line, and his first jump was in the opposite direction. I don't think he looks that comfortable at 3B, and I realize that's mainly being spoiled by Crede.

I'd love a great utility guy who could help him there next season until Crede comes back, and then hopefully Fields can play some OF, or the Sox can make a decision on a trade.

WS in 05
07-26-2007, 05:20 PM

My eyes!!! My eyes!!!!!!

Huisj
07-26-2007, 05:31 PM

He didn't look that slow when he was running to first on his bunt in the 9th inning today. He got down the line pretty quick and made Minor panic after he bobbled the ball.

JungleJimR
07-26-2007, 05:47 PM
My point is that if Fields has some pretty good speed and is a basically sound baseball player and continues to show good hitting power, then LF could fit nicely with the problem of a low market valued Crede coming back next year and the Sox needing help in other areas.

russ99
07-26-2007, 06:10 PM
I don't see that being something the Sox would try unless Crede comes back next year, something I'm not sold on considering his health and contract status.

misty60481
07-26-2007, 07:23 PM
We sure could use both Credes and Fields bat in line-up, thats about 50-55 Hrs. If we keep Dye and put Pods in CF thats a pretty good outfield. We need all the runs we can score the way our relief pitching has been..

Daver
07-26-2007, 07:29 PM
We sure could use both Credes and Fields bat in line-up, thats about 50-55 Hrs. If we keep Dye and put Pods in CF thats a pretty good outfield. We need all the runs we can score the way our relief pitching has been..

No, that is a horrible outfield.

You have a marginal left fielder playing center, with a rag arm, an infielder with 0 outfield experience in left, and a right fielder with a declining arm and range.

lostfan
07-26-2007, 07:55 PM
Pods in CF would be an unmitigated disaster. That's probably the most important defensive position, even over SS IMO. And Pods's defense ranges between average and piss poor.

California Sox
07-26-2007, 08:22 PM
I'm not saying he'll be Ichiro out there but I believe Fields played left as a freshman at OSU. He's a good athlete. My prediction: No worse than Carlos or Pods (not that that's saying much).

I would try to keep Fields and Crede in the same lineup for a year. Especially if they're going to let Dye walk and replace him with Sweeney.

Grzegorz
07-26-2007, 09:48 PM
I'm not saying he'll be Ichiro out there but I believe Fields played left as a freshman at OSU. He's a good athlete. My prediction: No worse than Carlos or Pods (not that that's saying much).

I would try to keep Fields and Crede in the same lineup for a year. Especially if they're going to let Dye walk and replace him with Sweeney.

If Crede bounces back then he's at third. The question that needs to be sorted out is how to fit Pods (assuming he's still on the White Sox roster), Owens, and Fields into the outfield.

The answer is you can't. I can't see two of the three starting in the OF in 2008.

JorgeFabregas
07-26-2007, 10:09 PM
You obviously didn't see him torment Wakefield.