PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie says no trades

HotelWhiteSox
07-26-2007, 02:03 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070725sox,1,310721.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

There's also another article where it says Dye's first choice is stay with the Sox, I doubt that will happen though, and think it's a mistake if we don't trade him. There may not be interest, but there's not many names out there, and he has some power

chisoxfanatic
07-26-2007, 02:06 PM
So, let me get this straight. The bullpen is flawless, and it's okay to be having should-be minor leaguers starting for you every game, filling out at least 1/3 of your daily lineup?

Ozzie and KW, I don't get it!

downstairs
07-26-2007, 02:19 PM
So, let me get this straight. The bullpen is flawless, and it's okay to be having should-be minor leaguers starting for you every game, filling out at least 1/3 of your daily lineup?

Ozzie and KW, I don't get it!

Yeah, but they're loyal. That produces good grinders.

/teal?

voodoochile
07-26-2007, 02:36 PM
I don't think it has much to do with whether the current crop of relievers can get it done or not. I think it's more about realizing the Sox have a very very small chance to get back in the race and that means i's time to play the kids and find out which ones can be relied on next year so they know which holes to fill.

I imagine the Sox will soon move Podsednik if he can stay healthy and then expect to see Sweeney in LF sooner rather than later.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Sox re-signed Dye to play next year. I know he's personna non-grata around here, but he's been injured this season until recently and has proven to be a big contributer when healthy. I'd be pretty shocked if they don't at least try to bring him back.

Nellie_Fox
07-26-2007, 02:38 PM
If there are no moves made before the trading deadline, that doesn't mean that there won't be waiver deals done afterward, and it certainly doesn't mean they won't make deals/changes in the off-season. This isn't the last chance before next year.

chaerulez
07-26-2007, 03:14 PM
Also, if we don't trade Dye and Iguchi and they leave via free agency, we should still get compensation picks for them. I think at least one of them will be gone though, all this no trade talk is just posturing. I really want to see Jose go, but I don't know who is stupid enough to take his contract on.

BainesHOF
07-26-2007, 03:45 PM
Memo to Ozzie: You're not the GM.

TDog
07-26-2007, 04:11 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox don't make any trades before August. I don't expect them to make any big trades in any case. I expect the changes to the team to come in the off-season.

There appears to be little interest in Dye because he hasn't been hitting and seems to have been playing hurt all season. If a team makes a strong offer for him, the Sox will probably take it, but I expect Dye will finish the season with the Sox and won't get a lot of interest in the free-agent market because he is coming off a bad season. I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox re-sign him for less than the money talked about before the season.

I don't think there is much interest in the players people around here would like to deal. The Sox probably aren't going to find bullpen help right now. The bullpen will be rebuilt during the winter through small trades and minor free agent signings.

russ99
07-26-2007, 04:16 PM
Honestly, to me this means one thing:

radar
------
Kenny

:D:

I expect at least a couple of deals before the deadline. Dye is obviously not in future plans, and with demand ratcheting up, the return would be greater than the draft picks.

PhillipsBubba
07-26-2007, 04:24 PM
The last six weeks have shown Ozzie to be a bit of an air head. He's the one that began threatening the club with trades if they didn't play better, now he's dismissing the possibility of trades.

I doubt seriously if KW listens to him anyway.:?:

redsand22
07-26-2007, 04:24 PM
Honestly, to me this means one thing:

radar
------
Kenny

:D:

I expect at least a couple of deals before the deadline. Dye is obviously not in future plans, and with demand ratcheting up, the return would be greater than the draft picks.

I hope your right, the bullpen and outfield are in need of some changes.

HotelWhiteSox
07-26-2007, 04:44 PM
Memo to Ozzie: You're not the GM.

I have a feeling he has a good amount of input. I don't put anything into them, but I've heard rumors he plays a bigger role than Kenny in these sort of things

Madvora
07-26-2007, 04:45 PM
I guess it's not that big of a deal. It's not like we need someone to save our season. There's still plenty of time to deal in the off season. Maybe there's just no good offers right now. The only thing is the Dye situation. Who knows about that...
If we're set on getting rid of Contreras, I guarantee he'll look more enticing over the winter than he does now.

Flight #24
07-26-2007, 04:54 PM
FWLIW, Iguchi won't get comp picks because his contract states that if the Sox don't resign him, they can't offer arbitration. Thus if they're not going to resign him they should take anything they can get at the deadline.

Dye, however should get class A compensation. And if he won't then the Sox will get him on a relatively cheap deal (since I don't see him getting a raise in arb and it would be a 1-year deal anyway if he accepts arb).

Contreras on the other hand you probably have to give away at this point, which means it's in Kenny's interest to hold onto him and hope he can turn things around down the stretch and up his value for an offseason trade. Of course, if Garland is dealt, they may end up keeping Jose regardless.

Tragg
07-26-2007, 08:25 PM
This team with these players is 10 below .500. Hopefully Williams, not Guillen, is making the personnel decisions.

The Sox have a gigantic hole in CF; perhaps SS, LF and RF as well.

We need changes, whether at 7/31 or later. But some of these players won't bring anything if not traded by 7/31.

JB98
07-26-2007, 08:28 PM
Ozzie also said today:

“We are going to do something different here, and obviously, there’s going to be new blood,” Guillen said.

Don't put any stock in anything Ozzie says. He says whatever comes to mind at that particular moment. Ask him the same question five minutes later, and he'll say something else.

Madscout
07-27-2007, 02:57 PM
Besides the new blood in the BP, I'd like to see them get rid of the idea that we have to have a DH that doesn't play the field ever. I love Thome, but speed never slumps. We can use that DH spot to get some guys ABs and to rest our injury prone vets.

RockJock07
07-27-2007, 04:19 PM
I think KW knows what he's doing but if he doesn't do something before next week that's more he has to do in an already very important off-season. His plate is going to be very full and now is the time to get rid of guys like Dye, Contreras, Uribe, and maybe Tadahito.

I'm not going to be mad if no trades end up happening but i'm gonna be very uneasy about it.

Paulwny
07-27-2007, 04:33 PM
One thing everyone should keep in mind, it takes two to tango.
KW's probably been working on possible deals however some GM's may feel his asking price for certain players is too high and he may feel other GM's aren't offering enough. It's easy to say make a trade, it's much harder finalizing a deal.

07-27-2007, 04:41 PM
Iguchi Traded :smile:

santo=dorf
07-27-2007, 04:57 PM
Ozzie also said Ugeth Urbina was an innocent man.

aryzner
07-27-2007, 05:00 PM
So much for that.

jenn2080
07-27-2007, 05:10 PM
Lies

JB98
07-27-2007, 05:20 PM
Ozzie also said today:

“We are going to do something different here, and obviously, there’s going to be new blood,” Guillen said.

Don't put any stock in anything Ozzie says. He says whatever comes to mind at that particular moment. Ask him the same question five minutes later, and he'll say something else.

I told ya. :D:

Frater Perdurabo
07-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Is Torn going to declare this thread moot? :D:

MCHSoxFan
07-27-2007, 05:42 PM
NO TEADES? HELLO OZZIE. WHAT THE HECK JUST HAPPEND!!!! :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

The Dude
07-27-2007, 05:50 PM
NO TEADES? HELLO OZZIE. WHAT THE HECK JUST HAPPEND!!!! :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

What are teades? And what the heck just happened with this post?:?:

MCHSoxFan
07-27-2007, 05:53 PM
What are teades? And what the heck just happened with this post?:?:

Okay, TRADES!!! :angry::angry::angry:

Iguch just got TRADED!!! :angry::angry:

TornLabrum
07-27-2007, 06:10 PM
In answer to a previous question: Yes, this thread is now officially moot.

Frater Perdurabo
07-27-2007, 06:13 PM
In answer to a previous question: Yes, this thread is now officially moot.

Whew. I was beginning to get concerned. :D:

ThomesHomie
07-27-2007, 08:48 PM
So that lasted about 22 hours.