PDA

View Full Version : Stone in Sox booth with Hawk

Rockabilly
07-26-2007, 07:56 AM
Steve Stone will be doing 6 sox games in the tv booth with Hawk in aug because of DJ will be taking time off because of his wife having a baby..

Hopefully Stone and Hawk will be doing all of the Sox games next year

Over By There
07-26-2007, 08:07 AM
That should be an interesting dynamic. Strong personalities both.

veeter
07-26-2007, 08:11 AM
The Trib. also hinted that if Singleton's option isn't picked up, he could be with Farmer next year.

veeter
07-26-2007, 08:13 AM
That should be an interesting dynamic. Strong personalities both.I like the Yoda speak. :D:

Over By There
07-26-2007, 08:26 AM
I like the Yoda speak. :D:

A wordsmith, I am. :wink:

julio-cruz
07-26-2007, 08:48 AM
Stone's great. Not sure the booth is large enough for those two egos.:cool:
Anything at this point to counteract Hawk's "Big Fish" tales concerning his "illustrious" career. :tongue:

Frontman
07-26-2007, 08:50 AM
Stone's great. Not sure the booth is large enough for those two egos.:cool:
Anything at this point to counteract Hawk's "Big Fish" tales concerning his "illustrious" career. :tongue:

I'd prefer Stone with Singelton or Farmer, though. DJ is a good balance to Hawk.

We'll see what the future brings for this. I'm looking foward to those games, as I enjoyed the opening day broadcast he did with Singelton.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-26-2007, 08:52 AM
Stone adds instant credibility to any booth he works, be it radio or TV.

When he was on before, it was great listening to his insight...not from a Sox perspective, but a baseball perspective.

Imagine the "Remember When..." discussions Hawk will try to have with him while Steve is trying to focus on the game. I don't think 400 "boy, I tell ya's" can be stomached in one game.

I'd take Stone and DJ over Hawk and DJ anyday.

skobabe8
07-26-2007, 09:08 AM
Any chance on Dave Wills anytime soon???? :D:

October26
07-26-2007, 09:09 AM
I'm looking forward to hearing Steve Stone on the Sox broadcasts in August. I used to enjoy listening to him on his Score radio program until the Score became the all-Cubs all-the-time radio station around June 1st. I've pretty much turned off the Score except for listening during Sox games. There's way too much Cub love there for me right now.

soxfan80
07-26-2007, 09:12 AM
Any chance on Dave Wills anytime soon???? :D:No.

Dan Mega
07-26-2007, 09:14 AM
I'd take Stone over any of the announcers the Sox currently have.

Frontman
07-26-2007, 09:17 AM
I'm looking forward to hearing Steve Stone on the Sox broadcasts in August. I used to enjoy listening to him on his Score radio program until the Score became the all-Cubs all-the-time radio station around June 1st. I've pretty much turned off the Score except for listening during Sox games. There's way too much Cub love there for me right now.

Well, that's going to happen, as what is the point of talking about this season now? The Sox are done, so breaking down last night's game sadly doesn't have much merit.

slavko
07-26-2007, 09:21 AM
The Trib. also hinted that if Singleton's option isn't picked up, he could be with Farmer next year.

It definitely sounds like he's working himself into the job. If Farmer wants to dominate a partner the way he has tried to dominate Singleton, the pairing is not going to work. I'm not sure which pairing would be good for Stone, other than DJ or DW, each of whom has the ability to share the mic.

ZombieRob
07-26-2007, 09:21 AM
If Stone can handle being with the blithering ego maniac for the years he was with the Cubs ,he can handle Hawk with ease.

Lip Man 1
07-26-2007, 09:29 AM
Someone said the Tribune mentioned this, can you post the link?

I agree Stone would be a much welcomed addition in either the radio or TV booth.

Lip

HerzogVon
07-26-2007, 09:36 AM
Sounds like an excellent idea. Stone should be able to supply the sort of mental stimulus that can't help but make Hawk a better announcer.

I've always liked Steve, despite the fact that I hate the Cubs. :angry: His only drawback is that adnoidal voice, although it never hampered him in his days with Harry.

Lip Man 1
07-26-2007, 09:37 AM
Herzog:

Look at it this way...Stone is a former Sox pitcher.

That should make it easier for you.

Lip

nlentz88
07-26-2007, 09:38 AM
Someone said the Tribune mentioned this, can you post the link?

I agree Stone would be a much welcomed addition in either the radio or TV booth.

Lip

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/cs-26rowboldnamesjul26,1,2756010.story

WGN Morning News said Stone would be in the radio booth replacing Singleton while he tended to his pregnant wife. The linked story above says its DJ who has a pregnant wife and who will be replaced by Stone in the TV booth. Crazy morning news.

Chicken Dinner
07-26-2007, 10:15 AM
I wonder if Hawk will get to disappear for 4 innings when Stone is there?? :o:

Mr.1Dog
07-26-2007, 11:07 AM
Will Stone join in on the "YES!" with Hawk after the homerun?

BainesHOF
07-26-2007, 11:29 AM
Any chance on Dave Wills anytime soon???? :D:

Dave is a good guy, but he is where he belongs. Too many times he bordered on the unprofessional while with us.

HotelWhiteSox
07-26-2007, 11:36 AM
Cool. Trib article says the Aug 7-12 homestand is the likely date

chisoxfanatic
07-26-2007, 01:03 PM
That would be cool if Farmer wasn't shown the door. It would be great for someone to keep that nasty jagbag in check! What he has put Singleton through is inexcuseable!

Gavin
07-26-2007, 02:06 PM
I'd take Stone and DJ over Hawk and DJ anyday.

Seconded.

Bucky F. Dent
07-26-2007, 02:52 PM
Let me echo the sentiment that it would be great to have Stone one either the TV or radio broadcasts permanently.

Martinigirl
07-26-2007, 02:59 PM
I wouldn't mind Stone with Singleton. I like Singleton a lot more than Farmer. There is just something grating about Farmer's personality to me. He comes across as a crabby old man who thinks he knows it all.

Steelrod
07-26-2007, 04:47 PM
I would take Stone teamed up with any of our 4 present announcers.

JB98
07-26-2007, 04:57 PM
I'd prefer Stone with Singelton or Farmer, though. DJ is a good balance to Hawk.

I agree with this. DJ struggled at first, but he has become a competent announcer. I like Stone too, and I believe there is plenty of room for him in the Sox radio booth.

JB98
07-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Sounds like an excellent idea. Stone should be able to supply the sort of mental stimulus that can't help but make Hawk a better announcer.

I've always liked Steve, despite the fact that I hate the Cubs. :angry: His only drawback is that adnoidal voice, although it never hampered him in his days with Harry.

Stone has ties to both Chicago organizations, and I think he likes them both.

PatK
07-26-2007, 05:03 PM
Well, that's going to happen, as what is the point of talking about this season now? The Sox are done, so breaking down last night's game sadly doesn't have much merit.

Yes, but the Cubs were done much earlier last year and playing worse baseball and still got a lot of talk, despite that the defending World Series champs were still in it until late in the season.

That being said, I'd prefer DJ and Stoney over Hawk with DJ or Stone.

DJ does a good job when he's on national telecasts.

whitesoxfan
07-26-2007, 06:38 PM
I think Steve Stone is the best analyst in the game. I don't listen to 670 much, but I try my best to listen when he's on Boers and Bernstein and even Murph (:puking:). I do admit, I loved listening to him call Cubs games back when he was announcing there. I really hope that this eventually will become a full-time gig with him, either TV or radio. I'm so sick of the radio booth (both need to go IMO). Hawk and DJ haven't been much better this season as it has just become unlistenable on the TV end. I'm really looking forward to hearing Stone call some games for us.

wdelaney72
07-27-2007, 08:27 AM
I'd love to have Stone in the Sox booth (radio or TV)... alongside a PBP who actually is a trained, professional broadcaster... see Rooney, John or someone like him. I love Hawk, but he's better served as a color analyst as well.... and I think it's time he hung it up and spent more time golfing. I'm not a fan of Farmer, but as an analyst he's serviceable. For some reason, the Sox as on organization don't seem to respect the PBP role very well, otherwise they'd hire someone who is actually qualified.

TomBradley72
07-27-2007, 09:44 AM
Dave is a good guy, but he is where he belongs. Too many times he bordered on the unprofessional while with us.

:?:

tick53
07-28-2007, 09:01 AM
Having Stone in the booth with Hawk will be a refreshing change for us and Hawk. I'm not a big Stone fan and I can't understand his allegiance to the Cubs after they greased his skis to get rid of him but not having DJ around for a few days will be a pleasure.

BTW, since when does it take a week to have a baby?:?:

kaufsox
07-28-2007, 09:42 AM
From my pipe dream file: Stone and Rooney calling the Sox. I think Hawk will be a little, little more sedate with Stone in the booth. Perhaps he'll let the pitcher in the booth discuss the strike zone.

Brian26
07-28-2007, 10:32 AM
The White Sox right now have four broadcasters, three of which are capable of providing a decent broadcast whether you personally like them or not. The 4th guy needs to be replaced next year- and Stone would be a great option.

chisoxfanatic
07-28-2007, 11:36 AM
The White Sox right now have four broadcasters, three of which are capable of providing a decent broadcast whether you personally like them or not. The 4th guy needs to be replaced next year- and Stone would be a great option.
If you're talking about Ed Farmer, I couldn't agree with you more. :wink:

Brian26
07-28-2007, 03:58 PM

Not talking about Ed Farmer.

ilsox7
07-28-2007, 04:00 PM
Not talking about Ed Farmer.

Uh ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!:cool:

Brian26
07-28-2007, 04:12 PM
Uh ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!:cool:

Haha. Not talking about DJ either.

Martinigirl
07-28-2007, 04:14 PM

I agree with you :)

Brian26
So if Stone doesn't replace Farmer or DJ....

:hawk
"Where's he going to broadcast?"

:slowswing
"Gulp."

ilsox7
Haha. Not talking about DJ either.

I know. Your Singleton hatred runs as deep as my DJ hatred. :D:

Brian26
07-28-2007, 04:15 PM

But does my Singleton hatred run as deep as your Bukvich hatred?

ilsox7
07-28-2007, 04:19 PM
But does my Singleton hatred run as deep as your Bukvich hatred?

Not even close. Words cannot describe my feelings about him.

chisoxfanatic
07-28-2007, 04:19 PM
But not as deep as my Farmer hatred! :cool:

ilsox7
07-28-2007, 04:20 PM
But not as deep as my Farmer hatred! :cool:

I don't like Ed Farmer either, but it very little to do with his broadcasting.

soxfan1965
07-28-2007, 09:15 PM
What he (Farmer) has put Singleton through is inexcuseable!

I wouldn't mind Stone with Singleton. I like Singleton a lot more than Farmer. There is just something grating about Farmer's personality to me. He comes across as a crabby old man who thinks he knows it all.

Agreed. Simple example: There was a very audible hot dog vendor yelling "hot dogs" constantly. Naturally the listening fans thought hot dogs too. Singleton asked Farmer if he ate hot dogs and Farmer said "no" period, shooting it down. Farmer could have used this as a segue into going to a Sox game and enjoying the hot dogs, especially on the dollar nights (if they still do this). In fairness to Farmer, it must be hard for him to make the transition from color to lead play-by-play. But often this is at Singleton's expense.

whitesoxfan
07-28-2007, 11:21 PM
I don't like Ed Farmer either, but it very little to do with his broadcasting.

I can't stand his broadcasting. Liked him as a color analyst with Rooney, but as a PBP guy, he is just flat out awful. I can't believe how far our broadcasters have fallen since the 05 season; went from the very top to the very bottom in the radio world.

Nellie_Fox
07-29-2007, 12:58 AM
For most games, radio (XM) is all I've got. I think Singleton has gotten better, and Farmer has gotten worse. And sometimes Farmer just completely leaves Singleton hanging out to dry when he tries to get some "banter" going. It's like he wants Singleton to look bad.

nasox
07-29-2007, 02:16 AM
I can't believe how far our broadcasters have fallen since the 05 season; went from the very top to the very bottom in the radio world.

Just like our baseball team.

To the guy who said Dave Wills was sometimes unprofessional: Explain yourself. With examples.

Grzegorz
07-29-2007, 05:34 AM
I'd love to see Stone calling games on the South Side for the Chicago White Sox.

MySoxAreClean
07-29-2007, 07:53 PM

PLease be true , I get even bored delivering the mail listening to Cris Sing

Frontman
07-29-2007, 08:05 PM
PLease be true , I get even bored delivering the mail listening to Cris Sing

You're a mail carrier too?

As far as Farmer, I can't say about anyone else's experience with him, but he was very nice to talk to last summer, just before the August Yankees season.

soxfan1983
07-30-2007, 04:05 PM
i cant wait for this!

downstairs
07-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Anyone got dates yet?

Or is it still up in the air because no one knows when the kid is going to be born?

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-30-2007, 04:40 PM
I think Melton would be a great Sox Broadcaster. He does a fantastic job (I think) on the postgame show. Now I don't know how that translates to broadcasting, but he's definitley proven he knows alot about baseball and the Sox.

Lip Man 1
07-30-2007, 05:15 PM
I agree and he has filled in on occasion doing radio work. He has a good strong voice and certainly knows the game...perhaps his 'honesty' scares off those who are making these decisions.

Lip

Martinigirl
07-30-2007, 05:28 PM
For most games, radio (XM) is all I've got. I think Singleton has gotten better, and Farmer has gotten worse. And sometimes Farmer just completely leaves Singleton hanging out to dry when he tries to get some "banter" going. It's like he wants Singleton to look bad.

I totally agree. He is just a jerk to Chris, who just seems to be trying to do his job. It is like Farmer is pissed Rooney is gone, and he is taking it out on the replacement.

paciorek1983
07-30-2007, 07:38 PM
I agree and he has filled in on occasion doing radio work. He has a good strong voice and certainly knows the game...perhaps his 'honesty' scares off those who are making these decisions.

Lip

Could it also be that Melton doesn't want that job? I don't know but quite a few times when he would be on the post-game show on radio, if the game went to late, he wasn't there. That, to me seems like someone who might be not have enough energy to stay up late. If that's the case, then I'd think traveling would get to him.:?:

paciorek1983
07-30-2007, 07:41 PM
I totally agree. He is just a jerk to Chris, who just seems to be trying to do his job. It is like Farmer is pissed Rooney is gone, and he is taking it out on the replacement.

If he's pissed. I think he's more pissed that they didn't hire Tommy John, and he's taking it out on Singleton. I'd rather they just get rid of singleton anyway, I don't think he's very good. I'd prefer someone else to do pbp and have Farmer as color. Just don't hire Dan Shulman!!!!!

TornLabrum
07-30-2007, 09:26 PM
If he's pissed. I think he's more pissed that they didn't hire Tommy John, and he's taking it out on Singleton. I'd rather they just get rid of singleton anyway, I don't think he's very good. I'd prefer someone else to do pbp and have Farmer as color. Just don't hire Dan Shulman!!!!!

You mean Dana Shulaman?

paciorek1983
07-30-2007, 10:31 PM
You mean Dana Shulaman?

Ah yeah, you know exactly what I mean!!:D:

Brian26
07-30-2007, 10:40 PM

Lip

I loved the experiment the Sox did in 1996 (it was only for one year) when they had Melton in the 3rd base camera well on the radio broadcasts. Farmer and Rooney would go down to him once an inning to get his comments on a close play.

wdelaney72
07-31-2007, 12:26 PM
Just like our baseball team.

To the guy who said Dave Wills was sometimes unprofessional: Explain yourself. With examples.

I didn't post that Dave was unprofessional, but I do agree with that comment.

Dave Wills made it no secret that he hated the Cubs and anything related to them. ON THE AIR, he would rip them, their fans, their ballpark. He constantly referred to them as "the other team". I understand not liking the Cubs, but when you are a paid, radio, professional, you should act like it. I know he was quite often provoked and harassed by Cub fans calling in the show, but that means nothing. I felt he was unprofessinoal and childish and should have chosen the high road when dealing with idiot callers, which is a shame because he has a great voice for radio and knew the game very well.

That being said, he'd still be an upgrade to Hawk, Farmer, DJ, or Singleton.

chisoxfanatic
07-31-2007, 12:59 PM

Dave Wills made it no secret that he hated the Cubs and anything related to them. ON THE AIR, he would rip them, their fans, their ballpark. He constantly referred to them as "the other team". I understand not liking the Cubs, but when you are a paid, radio, professional, you should act like it. I know he was quite often provoked and harassed by Cub fans calling in the show, but that means nothing. I felt he was unprofessinoal and childish and should have chosen the high road when dealing with idiot callers, which is a shame because he has a great voice for radio and knew the game very well.

The best thing about Dave was when he'd read the Cubs score, and they lost (which was the vast majority of the time), he'd pipe in the Brant Brown "Ohhhh, nooooo!" sound byte right after reading the score! I really miss him and hope he makes his way back up here again.

DannyCaterFan
07-31-2007, 03:38 PM
I think Melton would be a great Sox Broadcaster. He does a fantastic job (I think) on the postgame show. Now I don't know how that translates to broadcasting, but he's definitley proven he knows alot about baseball and the Sox.

I have a close friend that has a source close to Bill Melton. According to that source, Bill Melton is leaving after this season and retiring to California, so he can be with his family year round.

TornLabrum
07-31-2007, 05:12 PM

Let's see...he did that on the Sox flagship station on the Sox postgame show! Damn! How unprofessional can you get??????

The Critic
08-01-2007, 06:44 AM
Let's see...he did that on the Sox flagship station on the Sox postgame show! Damn! How unprofessional can you get??????
I know people here enjoyed Wills' remarks, but I did find it unprofessional.
I know if the Cubs postgame guy referred to the Sox as "that other team" and sarcastically called US Cellular Field "whatever they call that ballpark these days" the way Wills would sarcastically call Wrigley "the Shrine", some people here would burst a blood vessel complaining about it.
I'm not saying you shouldn't enjoy Wills' tweaking of the Cubs, but to say it's not unprofessional, even on a Sox postgame show, I just don't agree.

TornLabrum
08-01-2007, 09:35 AM
I know people here enjoyed Wills' remarks, but I did find it unprofessional.
I know if the Cubs postgame guy referred to the Sox as "that other team" and sarcastically called US Cellular Field "whatever they call that ballpark these days" the way Wills would sarcastically call Wrigley "the Shrine", some people here would burst a blood vessel complaining about it.
I'm not saying you shouldn't enjoy Wills' tweaking of the Cubs, but to say it's not unprofessional, even on a Sox postgame show, I just don't agree.

Well, since I don't listen to the Cubs postgame show, I really don't know - and certainly don't care - what they say. And if they knocked the Sox, I really wouldn't care. It's their flagship station on the team owned by the same company, and it's their postgame show.

Now if someone would do that on the WGN-TV or radio news, that would be unprofessional.

The Critic
08-01-2007, 11:03 AM
Well, since I don't listen to the Cubs postgame show, I really don't know - and certainly don't care - what they say. And if they knocked the Sox, I really wouldn't care. It's their flagship station on the team owned by the same company, and it's their postgame show.

Now if someone would do that on the WGN-TV or radio news, that would be unprofessional.

It's not a huge deal to me, but it strikes me as unprofessional, and I can't shake that.
The little sniping Wills did on the Sox broadcasts kind of flew in the face of the "Cubs fans care more about what the Sox do than Sox fans care about what the Cubs do" theory we Sox fans like to float out there.
Maybe I'm not "die-hard" enough, but I just don't see the problem with saying "Cubs" and "Wrigley Field" when you're reporting the out-of-town scores. It would seem to draw less attention to "the other team" to just say their name and blow past their score quickly.
Not losing any sleep over it, though.

wdelaney72
08-01-2007, 11:10 AM
Again, he was a paid professional. Flagship or not, I thought it was classless... and a shame because the guy does have talent.

paciorek1983
08-01-2007, 07:00 PM
I have a close friend that has a source close to Bill Melton. According to that source, Bill Melton is leaving after this season and retiring to California, so he can be with his family year round.

I wonder who will get the post-game show gig.

If the pairing of Hawk and stone goes well, maybe they move DJ to the post-game. Or if the pairng doesn't go well, but they like , Stone, he gets the position or if Hawk is ready to slow down a bit maybe he'll do it?

Or maybe Kittle?

LongLiveFisk
08-01-2007, 09:58 PM
Cool. Trib article says the Aug 7-12 homestand is the likely date

Thanks for the info because I definitely want to check this out. Stone is a smart baseball man and as much as people like to rip Hawk, he does know his stuff pretty well too.

Definitely a lot of ego there, though....I agree with that! :D:

sircaffey1
08-02-2007, 11:24 AM
As long as Stoney stops in the GMs office for the next 10 years...

HITMEN OF 77
08-03-2007, 06:15 PM

I've also heard this as well. Sad but true.

Mohoney
08-03-2007, 06:48 PM
We were SOOOO spoiled by having John Rooney. I wish he would make a triumphant return to our TV booth.

I wholeheartedly agree with a Rooney-Stone pairing.

Brian26
08-03-2007, 07:55 PM
We were SOOOO spoiled by having John Rooney. I wish he would make a triumphant return to our TV booth.

I wholeheartedly agree with a Rooney-Stone pairing.

Amen. Although, I'm partial to Rooney on the radio because of his ability to paint a picture. The Rooney and Stone team would be sensational in any capacity though.

Steelrod
08-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Seems kinda strange considering that he doesn't live in California in the off season.

Brian26
08-03-2007, 08:00 PM
At this year's Soxfest, Melton talked about how much he enjoys living in Chicago now that his kids are grown up.

Bump34
08-03-2007, 08:21 PM
I thought Melty signed a 3 year deal before last season with Comcast...

Daver
08-03-2007, 08:24 PM
I thought Melty signed a 3 year deal before last season with Comcast...

You need to come save us from Chris Singleton, please.

Grzegorz
08-03-2007, 08:28 PM
The Rooney and Stone team would be sensational in any capacity though.

Though it would be a gift from the baseball gods, this pairing just will not happen.

Hitmen77
08-03-2007, 11:30 PM
does anyone know exactly which Sox games Stone will be doing?

blackcloud1956
08-04-2007, 07:09 AM
Anytime you can get DJ out of the booth is a win.

Anytime you could get Hawk & DJ out of the booth is a win/win.

Save McCuddy's
08-04-2007, 08:15 AM
I've also heard this as well. Sad but true.

Doesn't sound like another creepy dismissal of a dissenting voice. Guess Melty didn't learn from Whimpy that you can't critique the product if you hope to stay in the employ of the CWS.

Brian26
08-04-2007, 11:03 AM
Doesn't sound like another creepy dismissal of a dissenting voice. Guess Melty didn't learn from Whimpy that you can't critique the product if you hope to stay in the employ of the CWS.

Wrong.

HITMEN OF 77
08-04-2007, 12:16 PM

IMO Melty is leaving purely for retirement purposes and not being "forced" into retirement. I'm sure he will be at Soxfest still and a few other Charity events through the year.

HotelWhiteSox
08-08-2007, 04:04 PM
I enjoyed the broadcast last night, cool to see Stone with a Sox shirt, and listening to some quick sports radio, even Hawk critics giving their props, saying it sounded like these guys had a long standing chemistry.

I'm not going to be some Cub fan moron and put Stone on this pedestal and ask him to give me tomorrow's lottery numbers, but he usually gives a good broadcast, and doesn't seem to be too scared of being critical (shown in that one interview with Dusty on one broadcast).

Nothing against DJ, because he has definitely gotten better and has had to deal with some odd situations with a unique partner, but Stone is definitely a step above, so get busy more often DJ. You'd think Stone would also be more likely to keep Hawk in check, so even if you hate Hawk, you have to say Hawk/Stone is a suitable combo for the #3 market in the country, and it would be a nice change after the radio broadcast has turned into a joke.

soxinem1
08-08-2007, 04:17 PM
As I said in another thread, DJ may be the next Wally Pipp......

The only thing I didn't like was Hawk's continued attempts to feed Soney one of his patented 'Ass-kiss sandwich's'. There were at least three occasions where he made him out to be Cy Young (well, he did win the award...).

dagotony06
08-08-2007, 04:26 PM
I liked listening to Stone last night. I wish we had him all the time. But he would never last with this Org. because he speaks his mind and is critical of players and coaches, which I think is a good thing.

jdm2662
08-08-2007, 04:34 PM
I thought Stone did a good job. Hawk actually sounded better. Hawk called a decent game with Stone in the booth. Did I just say I was able to handle Hawk??? :o:

Foulke You
08-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Hawk and Stone had much better chemistry than I thought they would have together. The broadcast was much smoother than normal and Hawk seemed definitely on his game last night as well. Perhaps having an analyst like Stone kept Hawk on his toes more?

I agree with HotelWhiteSox, I'm not a Stone worshiper like a lot of Cub fans are. I think he is an excellent baseball analyst with a sometimes grating voice. He does bring something positive to the broadcasts though and I wouldn't be against having him around full time since he seemed to work pretty well with Hawk.

jsg-07
08-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Definately enjoyed him last night. I think the two of them would be good together all the time but I actually dont have anything against DJ. But I do agree that Stone seemed to keep Hawk on his toes a bit..

Im I crazy or did anyone pick up on the fact in the 11 minute pre-game that Hawk was studdering a bit and actually seemed a little nervous??

JGarlandrules20
08-08-2007, 05:10 PM
It was kind of awkward at first, maybe I just had to get used to it, but they sounded pretty good together. I really like the insight Stone brings, he seems to know his stuff for each team.

I seem to recall a moment like this which made me laugh:
Hawk - "Get foul!! Get fo--"
Stone- "It's foul."

Max Power
08-08-2007, 06:01 PM
I thought they sounded great together. Stone provided some really good incites during the game (ex. Richar keeping his glove on a runner who had stolen second, even though the ball went into the outfield). I probably like DJ more than the average Sox fan, but I would be all for bringing Stone on full time.

soxfan1983
08-08-2007, 06:04 PM
they sounded amazing last night. get rid of DJ and sign stoney long term!!!

Hawk - "DJ..... HE GONE"

tick53
08-08-2007, 06:21 PM
I'm not a Steve Stone fan by any stretch of the imagination but at least he gives an analysis of the game. It gave last nights game a new dynamic. If Stone would ever take the job, I would say OK. I do respect his baseball knowledge and it gave Hawk something else to talk about. DJ as I've said before brings little to the table.

Congrat on his new child though!:smile: Baby Tatum Jackson..

Noneck
08-08-2007, 06:30 PM
It gave last nights game a new dynamic.

Yes it did, By having Stone there it made Harrelson earn his salary by finally doing a full games announcing, it's been awhile since hes done that.

soxinem1
08-08-2007, 06:34 PM
Yes it did, By having Stone there it made Harrelson earn his salary by finally doing a full games announcing, it's been awhile since hes done that.

It's been awhile since I've heard Hawk in the 6th or 7th innings.......

oeo
08-08-2007, 06:39 PM
It was kind of awkward at first, maybe I just had to get used to it, but they sounded pretty good together. I really like the insight Stone brings, he seems to know his stuff for each team.

I agree, I thought they sounded awkward at first. There were still some awkward moments as the game went on, as well. I think DJ/Black Jack sounded like a better tandem, but we'll see the rest of the week.

And something tells me Hawk/Stone wouldn't work long term...the two would end up clashing. DJ is the perfect partner for Hawk because he sucks up to him, and goes along with all the weird crap Hawk does.

I'm not saying changes shouldn't be made, but as long as Hawk is here, I don't think any changes are going to happen. DJ will be here at least as long as Hawk is, probably longer as he'll be with the organization for some time (unless he gets a job elsewhere).

tick53
08-08-2007, 06:45 PM
I enjoyed the broadcast last night, cool to see Stone with a Sox shirt, and listening to some quick sports radio, even Hawk critics giving their props, saying it sounded like these guys had a long standing chemistry.

I'm not going to be some Cub fan moron and put Stone on this pedestal and ask him to give me tomorrow's lottery numbers, but he usually gives a good broadcast, and doesn't seem to be too scared of being critical (shown in that one interview with Dusty on one broadcast).

Nothing against DJ, because he has definitely gotten better and has had to deal with some odd situations with a unique partner, but Stone is definitely a step above, so get busy more often DJ. You'd think Stone would also be more likely to keep Hawk in check, so even if you hate Hawk, you have to say Hawk/Stone is a suitable combo for the #3 market in the country, and it would be a nice change after the radio broadcast has turned into a joke.

Very refreshing! Old Hawk will be worn out by the time DJ returns.:D:

Noneck
08-08-2007, 07:04 PM
This week is going to wear out Harrelson, working full games hasnt been his cup of tea in a while.

ND_Sox_Fan
08-08-2007, 07:46 PM
I didn't get the Sox feed last night, so I didn't get a chance to listen, but tonight has been great so far. I am really enjoying it. One of the best parts about Stone in the booth is his knowledge of players on other teams - especially Cleveland tonight.

flo-B-flo
08-08-2007, 08:30 PM
I thought Stone did a good job. Hawk actually sounded better. Hawk called a decent game with Stone in the booth. It's happening again tonight. Hawk seems to be on his toes. Maybe Stone does makes him better.

WSox597
08-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Perhaps DJ can move to the radio booth and replace one of those two? Either one.

Stone would be a nice addition to the broadcast team. It does need to be shaken up, to say the least.

South Side Irish
08-08-2007, 08:42 PM
I don't understand why some of you are bashing Cub fans for liking Stone. Stone is a great, great analyst. He's usually correct in his predictions, brings interesting insight to the game, and has credible playing experience to back him up. Unlike DJ. Or Singleton. He does his job: describes what is happening that the casual baseball fan might not recognize or know. He works well with Hawk, and if Hawk doesn't like having to actually work, then daggummit, grab some bench Harrelson. Go golf in South Bend. Stone is so much more interesting to listen to, and I'll take him over Hawk anyday.

WMVP was talking about Stoney becoming a full-time Sox guy, but actually mentioned that doing radio with Farmer was more likely, considering Singleton has been around a lot shorter than DJ, thus Jerry is less loyal to him. I don't know if I'd like two analysts like Farmer and Stone in the booth together. They're both cut from the same cloth, with Stone being a little more informative, and Farmer being more enthusiastic sounding. Maybe Chris Rongey can get in the booth. You've got to have somebody actually do quality Play by Play on the radio, something the Sox have lacked the last two years.

Jurr
08-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Stone's awesome. Keep him around. :bandance:

LongLiveFisk
08-08-2007, 09:41 PM
So when Hawk yells, "You can put it on the board...YES!!", does Stone join in on the "YES!!"? :tongue:

BV2005
08-08-2007, 10:09 PM

great idea, I hope the Sox make it happen

MySoxAreClean
08-08-2007, 10:50 PM
I preffer to get STONED over Dj anytime

thedudeabides
08-08-2007, 11:06 PM
It's great to actually here things that are going on in the game like where the defense is aligned and how a pitchers move to first is. It beats hearing stories about guys I've never heard of repeated over and over.

I wish they could bring him on board full time.

Madscout
08-08-2007, 11:09 PM
I have to agree with South Side Irish...Stone is great. I remember hearing him with Harry when I was a kid, and I don't think another pair of announcers have come close to that tandum in a long time. Gotta love a guy who calls an organization out on its bull and keeps a level head. He would be a great addition to the organization, and I think he would add to the respectablity of our broadcasts, putting us far ahead of the other announcers in town in the mind of everyone, even cub fans.

HotelWhiteSox
08-08-2007, 11:16 PM
I agree the ass kissing factor is the annoying part, but that'll wear out. Hawk definitely has a different attitude though. That Stone pregame comment about "Asdrubal" being as common as Jon in the DR was funny, but I could just sense if DJ said that, all you'd hear from Hawk is silence. Same thing for Hawk when Robin did a broadcast. He doesn't change his style, but it's like he 'gets up' for those broadcasts

It'd be interesting long term though. The love fest would wear off, and there's no doubt they'd disagree, it'd be interesting to hear

I don't understand why some of you are bashing Cub fans for liking Stone. Stone is a great, great analyst. He's usually correct in his predictions, brings interesting insight to the game, and has credible playing experience to back him up. Unlike DJ. Or Singleton. He does his job: describes what is happening that the casual baseball fan might not recognize or know. He works well with Hawk, and if Hawk doesn't like having to actually work, then daggummit, grab some bench Harrelson. Go golf in South Bend. Stone is so much more interesting to listen to, and I'll take him over Hawk anyday.

WMVP was talking about Stoney becoming a full-time Sox guy, but actually mentioned that doing radio with Farmer was more likely, considering Singleton has been around a lot shorter than DJ, thus Jerry is less loyal to him. I don't know if I'd like two analysts like Farmer and Stone in the booth together. They're both cut from the same cloth, with Stone being a little more informative, and Farmer being more enthusiastic sounding. Maybe Chris Rongey can get in the booth. You've got to have somebody actually do quality Play by Play on the radio, something the Sox have lacked the last two years.

I don't mind them liking him, but some of them put these insane expectations of him, to the point of wanting him as the manager or GM

flo-B-flo
08-08-2007, 11:29 PM
Called It!!!!!!!!!!

kitekrazy
08-08-2007, 11:32 PM

I'd rather put him deep in the organization where he can assess talent.

WhiteSoxRich
08-08-2007, 11:53 PM
This week is going to wear out Harrelson, working full games hasnt been his cup of tea in awhile.

It was great not having Hawk disappear the last 2 broadcasts...it would be great to keep Stoney!!

chisox77
08-09-2007, 12:51 AM
After a week of Steve Stone, we're going to be spoiled.

:cool:

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-09-2007, 01:03 AM
So when Hawk yells, "You can put it on the board...YES!!", does Stone join in on the "YES!!"? :tongue:

Actually, no he doesnt, and its hilarious to hear Hawk go "YEESS??!?!" Alone. The tone in the "YES!" Is sorta like.."Oh ****, no-ones joining in i better Cut it short!"

whitesoxfan
08-09-2007, 03:17 AM
Stone has just been a blast to listen to the last two nights. I'm about as interested in watching a Sox game right now as I would be if they were in the thick of a playoff spot. He sounds so fluid and he has really made Hawk better which has made it a great listen. Please, Sox management; keep this booth full-time next year and move DJ to the radio booth.

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-09-2007, 07:15 AM
And a quote from a WSI poster to boot. :bandance: Too bad Sleaze-ak wrote it.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/503340,CST-SPT-stone09.article

Jollyroger2
08-09-2007, 08:29 AM
Stone has just been a blast to listen to the last two nights. I'm about as interested in watching a Sox game right now as I would be if they were in the thick of a playoff spot. He sounds so fluid and he has really made Hawk better which has made it a great listen. Please, Sox management; keep this booth full-time next year and move DJ to the radio booth.

Agree 10000%.

Fenway
08-09-2007, 09:14 AM
Stone was great last night. Move DJ to radio, give Singleton the boot and sign Stone.

salty99
08-09-2007, 09:15 AM
and does anyone else notice that Hawk doesn't disappear as much with Stone there

rdivaldi
08-09-2007, 09:17 AM
And a quote from a WSI poster to boot.

To which I will again voice my concern and displeasure with columnists quoting this website without the expressed permission of the poster. Sure it was a harmless quote, but what stops them from putting in a crazy one?

No likey....

wdelaney72
08-09-2007, 09:40 AM

This is exactly why I think there's gonig to be some kind of change for next year with either the TV or radio teams. Uncle Jerry and the organization are smart enough to know that this is EXACTLY the type of reaction they'd get for having Stoney in the booth. There's been plenty of opporuntities over the last few years for fill-in work and Stone has never been invited. All of the sudden this year Stoney fills in.

balke
08-09-2007, 09:44 AM
Its really interesting to hear these two guys together. They have a passion for the game and they come from different sides of baseball. Stone is really good at keeping the pace moving. He doesn't let Hawk trail off on as many stories, and the game goes by so much faster.

HawkDJ
08-09-2007, 09:50 AM
Actually, no he doesnt, and its hilarious to hear Hawk go "YEESS??!?!" Alone. The tone in the "YES!" Is sorta like.."Oh ****, no-ones joining in i better Cut it short!"

Wimpy never joined in did he?

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-09-2007, 09:55 AM
Stone was great last night. Move DJ to radio, give Singleton the boot and sign Stone.

Sounds like a winner to me. I would LOVE that.

BeviBall!
08-09-2007, 10:17 AM
Stone has been amazing and Hawk has gone from intolerable to somewhat pleasuring to listen to. It's a treat for the ears to be sure.

How bad is the first game with DJ back going to sound?

Fenway
08-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Wimpy never joined in did he?

Oh yes he did...I have him on tape from 1990 at the old park

A.T. Money
08-09-2007, 10:29 AM
Hawk was calling Steve Stone "Stone Pony" last night. Pretty funny...not sure if Stone likes it though.

Noneck
08-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Stone is broadcasting the games like he would a espn game. Hes not acting like a cheerleader just an analyst. I'm sure he doesn't want to burn any bridge on the northside by being perceived as a Sox fan now. He wants to get into a booth again but I think he'd prefer the northside because it gets more national exposure.

Walker29
08-09-2007, 11:22 AM
I've listened to the replay of Uribe's HR call on whitesox.com. Anybody out there able to decipher what Stoney says. It was either drowned out by crowd noise or more likely not spoken directly into the mike...and they call him a professional broadcaster.

BainesHOF
08-09-2007, 11:32 AM
I've listened to the replay of Uribe's HR call on whitesox.com. Anybody out there able to decipher what Stoney says. It was either drowned out by crowd noise or more likely not spoken directly into the mike...and they call him a professional broadcaster.

Stone said: "Thank you. It was time to go. That's just the way it is."

Strange. Very strange.

I don't see why everyone is going ga-ga over Stone. His analysis is dull, he's a master of the obvious, he has diarrhea of the mouth and his voice is monotone.

Walker29
08-09-2007, 12:21 PM
I'm not saying its better...just different...and a fresh diversion from Hawk being overtly condescending towards DJ and/or DJ delivering such classics as "Jermaine Dye wants a taste of that sno-cone...nummy nummy nummy!"

thomas35forever
08-09-2007, 12:25 PM
I liked Stoney's answer to the guy who asked how you get a job in a team's front office: "It's really easy. Have your dad buy a team." Very clever. Yes, it would be nice if Stone was in the booth with Hawk full-time, but that's not the case unfortunately.

DannyCaterFan
08-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Stone is broadcasting the games like he would a espn game. Hes not acting like a cheerleader just an analyst. I'm sure he doesn't want to burn any bridge on the northside by being perceived as a Sox fan now. He wants to get into a booth again but I think he'd prefer the northside because it gets more national exposure.

I thought he showed a rooting interest in the Sox all through the broadcast. Steve even wore a White Sox shirt! I really enjoyed the game last night, and I think the chemistry between Hawk and Steve Stone was excellent. great to have an ex-pitcher in the booth with an ex-outfielder. Hey Brooks Boyer, let's make this happen full time next season.

chisoxwschamps05
08-09-2007, 12:52 PM
I'm not saying its better...just different...and a fresh diversion from Hawk being overtly condescending towards DJ and/or DJ delivering such classics as "Jermaine Dye wants a taste of that sno-cone...nummy nummy nummy!"
That's probably my favorite DJ quote of all time!! I think that Stone and Hawk are better together than I expected, and I enjoy it better than Hawk and DJ.

JermaineDye05
08-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Stone has done pretty good in his first few games. Of the people who have replaced either Hawk or DJ in the booth, I have to say Stone and Black Jack have been the best.

Lip Man 1
08-09-2007, 01:04 PM
This is an excerpt from an interview I did last week with a reporter/columnist from the Tribune. PHG has it and will release it at the appropriate time:

ML: Steve Stone is a name tossed out a lot by fans concerning the possibility of him joining the Sox broadcast team in the future. Chris Singleton’s deal is up after the season. Could Stone be a replacement? Or is his situation in the wake of what happened with the Cubs and his honesty in calling a game ‘red flags’ to the Sox organization?
-----
"There’s a possibility... although he won’t come cheap. Considering the way the season has gone, hiring Stone would be a real off season publicity boost."

"Concerning his situation with the Cubs, I think that was something that Dusty Baker let get out of control. And I’ve never considered Steve at any time a ‘ripper’ like some other members of the media. He’s just calling the game and adding insight."

Lip

Marqhead
08-09-2007, 01:05 PM
Stone has done pretty good in his first few games. Of the people who have replaced either Hawk or DJ in the booth, I have to say Stone and Black Jack have been the best.

I remember when The Pope subbed in for a few games in Toronto 2 years ago, he was awful. Blackjack was pretty good. I've only heard a little bit of Stoney but I've liked him in the past and I think he teams up well with Hawk.

Hawks ridiculous catch phrases and homerism, Stoney's down to Earth analysis and knowledge of the game.

I enjoy it.

XOS THW
08-09-2007, 02:52 PM
Personally i having really enjoyed listening to Steve Stone during the games!

SoxxoS
08-09-2007, 03:27 PM
I'm not saying its better...just different..!"

Different and much, much better than OH-OH Darrin Jackson. Sad but true, DJ is awful.

Lip Man 1
08-09-2007, 05:15 PM
I was in touch with a member of the front office this afternoon and just one person's opinion, but they had high praises for the work Stone has done. They also mentioned how the chemistry is very good between Stone and Hawk and they got the impression that both men enjoyed working with each other.

If the two sides can agree on the money I think there's a decent chance you see Stone in some broadcast capacity next season with the club...it could be on radio, on TV or if the Bill Melton rumors are true perhaps as pre and post game analyst.

Lip

paciorek1983
08-09-2007, 05:18 PM
I thought he showed a rooting interest in the Sox all through the broadcast. Steve even wore a White Sox shirt! I really enjoyed the game last night, and I think the chemistry between Hawk and Steve Stone was excellent. great to have an ex-pitcher in the booth with an ex-outfielder. Hey Brooks Boyer, let's make this happen full time next season.

With Melton retiring, maybe DJ could be the replacement on comcast post-game.

Frontman
08-09-2007, 05:37 PM
I like all four of our broadcasters currently. However, Stone is much more polished and complished over DJ and Singelton, and in some ways even better than Farmer. If I got a choice, I would put Stone on the TV side of things, and slide DJ over to the radio, to work with Chris and Farmer. When Chris and DJ worked together, they had a lot better chemistry compared to Farmer/Singelton. Maybe a 3 person team would work better there.

Or, don't renew Chris' contract (as much as I like the guy) and have it be Farmer and DJ on the radio.

Either way, this week is going to go by too quickly for my liking, as I've really enjoyed Stone. He's got whit, but he also knows how to break down situations and work well as an analyist.

ndgt10
08-09-2007, 05:41 PM
I miss DJ. I hope they sign him to a 10 year extension.

Frankfan4life
08-09-2007, 06:06 PM
Wow!!! Where are we going to put the statue of Steve Stone?

All of this SS love is driving me crazy. I agree that he is a very knowledgeable announcer but I also like the announcers we already have. I don't see any reason to dump anybody.

Fenway
08-09-2007, 09:21 PM
Wow!!! Where are we going to put the statue of Steve Stone?

All of this SS love is driving me crazy. I agree that he is a very knowledgeable announcer but I also like the announcers we already have. I don't see any reason to dump anybody.

The telecast is 1000% better with Stone as he can keep Hawk in check. Stone doing play by play now and Hawk color and it works.

ilsox7
08-09-2007, 09:25 PM
The telecast is 1000% better with Stone as he can keep Hawk in check. Stone doing play by play now and Hawk color and it works.

It is truly amazing how much better the broadcast is. White Sox executives cannot ignore this fact.

chisoxfanatic
08-09-2007, 09:35 PM
To be honest with you, I don't want anyone "keeping Hawk in check." The thing I like most about Hawk is that he shares the exact same emotions towards this team that most of us fans have. It's quite nice to listen to him every night I'm not at the game. Frankly, broadcasts that are completely objective are super boring to me. I'm glad Hawk is Totally Biased.

Kogs35
08-09-2007, 10:06 PM
interesting artical in tomorow's trib from teddy greenstein about hawk,stone and the future

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-070809teddy,1,6759612.column?coll=cs-columnists

ilsox7
08-09-2007, 10:33 PM
Considering we know the Sox will not completely clean house of their broadcast teams, I think the most logical thing to do is say goodbye to Chris, move DJ to the radio, and pair up Stone and Hawk. At least then the TV broadcast would be a million times better.

Lip Man 1
08-09-2007, 10:33 PM
Franklin:

You haven't listed much to Farmer and Singleton have you?

Put Stone in the radio booth as play by play (he basically did it the final years that Harry Caray was still around) and move Farmer back to analyst which is where he belongs.

Lip

soxinem1
08-09-2007, 10:35 PM
interesting artical in tomorow's trib from teddy greenstein about hawk,stone and the future

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-070809teddy,1,6759612.column?coll=cs-columnists

I find the Farmer/DJ combo, as proposed in this article, to be little improved over the present set up of Farmer/Singleton. Besides, other teams would take him for TV if the Sox try to demote him.

On radio, it's Farmer doing PBP thats the problem, I don't care who he is teamed with.

There's no denying Stone sounds natural with Hawk. I just wonder if Stone thinks he could tolerate Hawk for a full season. I don't believe he will.

Interesting note: The article notes Stone being a possible cub partner, but when they showed some kid at the game tonight with a cub hat and shirt on, Stone noted he was wearing the wrong team's stuff to the park.

HotelWhiteSox
08-09-2007, 10:41 PM
One angle, is Stone even interested for working full time for a team? We don't know if he wants to do it for a whole season and keep up with the traveling.

If he does though, yes, the Sox should sign him ASAP and worry about the rest later

Noneck
08-09-2007, 10:57 PM
How soon you all forget. We had one of the best play by play guys 2 years ago and lost him. Why? $$$$ Thats why. Why do you suddenly think the Sox are going to pay Stone? I see the only way Stone being hired if they lose either Harrelson or Farmer.

ilsox7
08-09-2007, 10:59 PM
How soon you all forget. We had one of the best play by guys 2 years ago and lost him. Why? $$$$ Thats why. Why do you suddenly think the Sox are going to pay Stone? I see the only way Stone being hired if they lose either Harrelson or Farmer.

From what I've heard, most folks in the know said Rooney left b/c he wanted to go back to St. Louis. When I talked to him, he seemed to infer the same thing.

Noneck
08-09-2007, 11:03 PM
From what I've heard, most folks in the know said Rooney left b/c he wanted to go back to St. Louis. When I talked to him, he seemed to infer the same thing.

Ok , but hiring a total raw bone rookie to take his place after a championship year? That decision had to be based on money.

ilsox7
08-09-2007, 11:08 PM
Ok , but hiring a total raw bone rookie to take his place after a championship year? That decision had to be based on money.

Maybe. Maybe not. I really don't know as I don't follow the radio stuff much at all. I just know I heard about people saying Rooney was pretty much gone anyways and then when I mentioned it to him, he seemed to infer the same.

MeteorsSox4367
08-09-2007, 11:13 PM
I've always enjoyed listening to Stone and he hasn't disappointed in these games in DJ's absence. In Wednesday night's game, there was an instance in which Stone said that one of the Indians would ground out to short if thrown a slider away.

Next pitch, slider away, grounder to Uribe. The man knows the game well and communicates his knowledge to hardcore baseball geeks like myself.

Stone doesn't have to rely on bad cliches (DJ loves "thought process") to establish a point.

That said, DJ is better than Singleton. As others have suggested, move DJ to radio and hire Stone as the TV analyst.

Slats
08-10-2007, 12:52 AM
The thing about Stone is that even though he's got all that Cub background... The guy is one of the most intelligent analysts in the game. He understands where the pitchers and the hitters are coming from... on an individual basis.... He never ceases to amaze me with the most trival of fact about a player that applies to what is happening on the field at that exact moment... Compared to DJ... Well there is no comparison ... D=J, I like you, you're a nice guy but Stone is light years ahead of you in the booth...

Fenway
08-10-2007, 09:09 AM
It is truly amazing how much better the broadcast is. White Sox executives cannot ignore this fact.

I really wonder who down on 35th St decides who the announcers are. (JR?)

Radio is a disaster and I am pretty certain the suits at WSCR know this but are powerless to fix it. The White Sox pick the announcers and may very well pay them as well instead of the station.

Farmer should never have been made lead announcer. I still remember tuning to XM during the 4th game of the Series when it was scoreless late and Farmer had all the excitement in his voice that made it sound like a spring training game in March.

here in Boston fans are revolting over how Larry Lucchino has screwed up the announcers here. He fired Jerry Trupiano and replaced him with TWO announcers. Dave O'Brien is great but can only do about 60 games as he works for ESPN as well. But Glenn Geffner is AWFUL. Geffner did radio in San Diego when Lucchino ran things there and then came to Boston to be the PR man. The announcers in Pawtucket are better than this clown. The fans DESPISE him.

GAWD I miss Trup ( classic call ) http://www.geocities.com/soshtable/trupe.wav (http://www.geocities.com/soshtable/trupe.wav)

a sample
38Cliches.com: Who Does Glenn Geffner Work For? (http://38cliches.blogspot.com/2007/08/who-does-glenn-geffner-work-for.html)Since Dave O'Brien has been hijacked by Barr* B*nds' inability to hit a home run, Glenn "Goodbye" Geffner is our constant companion. ...

Glen Geffner Continues His Assault on Red Sox Fans - Sports Blog ... (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/07/04/glen-geffner-continues-his-assault-on-red-sox-fans/)Way Back! in March, I wrote this post to vent my disgust at the new booth-mates of Joe Castiglione during Red Sox radio broadcasts -

Pragerblog » Blog Archive » Glenn Geffner (http://www.michaelprager.com/blog/?p=193)And, I think, Glenn Geffner is the rest of that imperfect solution. Again, this is based on something I think I read, that he has been employed in team PR, ...

TV is a mess as well. Jerry Remy is out of control pushing his website the remyreport.com (http://www.theremyreport.com)and play by play man Don Orsillo is sounding more like Sean McDonough every game. Fans want McDonough back desperatly but it won't happen because Lucchino still seeths at Sean's attack on him on WFAN after his father (Will McDonough )died.

Will's wake was "strange" as it was held at the Fleet Center and you wouldn't believe the flowers. The Red Sox sent a simple floral display but right next to it was what George Steinbrenner sent ( it was huge )Sean McDonough was upset about it.

Hitmen77
08-10-2007, 09:21 AM

I find it strange that a columnist in a major newspaper is quoting posts from WSI. So, I suppose reporters don't bother actually talking to fans anymore to get their reaction to a certain event.

I wonder how often the local media reads the post on this site.

whitem0nkey
08-10-2007, 09:26 AM
who would be the right person to email with the white sox, a quick line or 2 about how much I enjoyed the broadcast and would love Steve in the booth next year? brooks?

Fenway
08-10-2007, 09:31 AM
who would be the right person to email with the white sox, a quick line or 2 about how much I enjoyed the broadcast and would love Steve in the booth next year? brooks?

bboyer@chisox.com

also emails here would not hurt
Comcast SportsNet
350 N. Orleans Street
Suite S1-100
Chicago, IL 60654
Telephone: 312-222-6000
csnchicagowebsite@comcastsportsnet.com (csnchicagowebsite@comcastsportsnet.com)

Fenway
08-10-2007, 09:49 AM

I know Gammons not only reads this site, he has posted ( and I will not out him )

Ron Mexico
08-10-2007, 11:10 AM
I know Gammons not only reads this site, he has posted ( and I will not out him )

I'm guessing Otis :D:

Lip Man 1
08-10-2007, 12:10 PM
I know of at least five members of the mainstream media who read this site, four of whom have posted comments in the past.

Fenway this may help answer your question of who hires / pays announcers. It's from a Tribune reporter/columnist and will be released by PHG.

ML: After 2005 John Rooney left the Sox radio booth after eighteen seasons. There was a lot of speculation about why he left, the contract issues, wondering if it was the Sox or WSCR that wouldn’t come up with the money, his desire to return to St. Louis. Can you clear anything up on his situation?
---
"I think with John it was a lot of attraction to return to his hometown. As far as the money situation I think the White Sox were the one’s that had some issues with his salary request but I can’t say that with 100% accuracy."

ML: Chris Singleton was hired basically to replace John with Ed Farmer sliding over to do play by play. Singleton had very limited media experience and there are a number of fans who post at White Sox Interactive that he and Farmer simply can’t be listened to. Those fans feel they are that bad. What can you tell us about how Singleton got the job?
---
"I was surprised when I heard it was going to Singleton, everything I heard said it was going to be Tommy John. I think the Sox wanted a fresh face."

ML: Who made the decision to hire Chris, WSCR radio or the White Sox?
---
"I think it was a collaborative effort with the White Sox having more influence in the decision."

Lip

Fenway
08-10-2007, 12:34 PM
Anybody know how Sox games do rating wise on WSCR?

BTW Bob Ryan loves Ed Farmer

Each team's entire home schedule is on an XM channel. Through this experience, I have become a huge fan of San Diego announcer Ted Leitner and White Sox announcer Ed Farmer, each wonderful in a totally different way.

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/bob_ryan_blog/2007/06/the_amazing_mr.html

34 Inch Stick
08-10-2007, 01:06 PM

Is that a feather I feel tickeling my rear end?

oeo
08-10-2007, 01:56 PM

So "Gammons Peter" really is Peter Gammons...and he thought he could get away with it by rearranging the names.

Fenway
08-10-2007, 02:12 PM
So "Gammons Peter" really is Peter Gammons...and he thought he could get away with it by rearranging the names.

He uses names of obsure ball players

downstairs
08-10-2007, 03:05 PM

Oh, I will then!

He goes by "Horsemaster Fred."

Sorry, Peter, your secret is over now!

thedudeabides
08-10-2007, 03:36 PM

Well, this should be a fun game watching everyone try and guess. :D:

Soxzilla
08-10-2007, 05:23 PM
Oh, I will then!

I haven't posted here much in the past couple years. But I just had to chime in and say it's good to see the love for "Horsemaster Fred" hasn't died.

slavko
08-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Well....if the Melton spot is open and Singleton's available......problem solved. No one goes hungry.

Daver
08-10-2007, 08:26 PM
I find it strange that a columnist in a major newspaper is quoting posts from WSI. So, I suppose reporters don't bother actually talking to fans anymore to get their reaction to a certain event.

I have helped the local media find fans for local TV shows, commercials, and articles. Wilkes was on TV twice.

I have helped local media write stories about the Sox, and their minor league system.

I have helped national media with stories on the Sox after 10/26/2005, as well as interviews on the radio.

WSI has earned a reputation of being a place where knowledgeable, articulate fans tend to post their opinions, and we strenuously enforce our rules to keep it that way.

And for those interested, the media count in members is over a hundred.

Dan Mega
08-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Oh, I will then!

Lets all call a dog :rolling:

Brian26
08-10-2007, 08:41 PM
It's fascinating to listen to Harrelson let Stone do play by play in the middle innings. If this team were to stick, I'd prefer Harrelson to stick to pbp, with Stone in his natural position of doing analysis. I can see how someone might claim that Hawk can be a good color man with his numerous stories and antedotes, but Stone's pbp is a bit too dry for me.

TheCommander
08-10-2007, 08:43 PM
It's fascinating to listen to Harrelson let Stone do play by play in the middle innings. If this team were to stick, I'd prefer Harrelson to stick to pbp, with Stone in his natural position of doing analysis. I can see how someone might claim that Hawk can be a good color man with his numerous stories and antedotes, but Stone's pbp is a bit too dry for me.

I agree that Hawk should stick with the PBP but when he was with Drysdale I enjoyed his color commentating. Nice childhood memory. :D:

Brian26
08-10-2007, 08:53 PM
I agree that Hawk should stick with the PBP but when he was with Drysdale I enjoyed his color commentating. Nice childhood memory. :D:

Double-D was PHENOMENAL on pbp though. It seems like so long ago and for such a short time, but he had a nice six year run here before he went to the Dodgers. Wish he was still alive ...he was awesome.

HotelWhiteSox
08-10-2007, 08:55 PM
Anybody know how Sox games do rating wise on WSCR?

BTW Bob Ryan loves Ed Farmer

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/bob_ryan_blog/2007/06/the_amazing_mr.html

I don't know how the games do, but I think it helps the station. I know I try to listen more to am670 sometimes to try and win tickets and what not. Boers and Bernstein now easily beat MJH, while Mike North finally beat Mike and Mike in this past period (for the first time in years)

just fair
08-10-2007, 09:00 PM
Maybe it's just me but Steve Stone sounds like he may have had a few drinks before tonight's broadcast. Timing's off, pauses a little long. I still like him though.

Brian26
08-10-2007, 09:17 PM
Maybe it's just me but Steve Stone sounds like he may have had a few drinks before tonight's broadcast. Timing's off, pauses a little long. I still like him though.

It's just you.

just fair
08-10-2007, 09:37 PM
It's just you.

Well, OK. You sound pretty sure. Say hello for me when you see him again.

Brian26
08-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Well, OK. You sound pretty sure. Say hello for me when you see him again.

I'm 100% sure that you're making wild, random, and ignorant accusations against a guy that has shown nothing but class and professionalism throughout his career. I'm sure Stone is not inebriated on the air tonight.

Don't take it personally.

Lip Man 1
08-10-2007, 11:46 PM
Daver:

I'm shocked it is so high, there must be a number of out of market / national folks as well.

Any idea how many have actually posted something?

Lip

RowanDye
08-10-2007, 11:59 PM
I just want to put in my 2 cents on the topic of this thread.

Steve Stone has been a refreshing and interesting voice in the booth.

Stone, coupled with some better play from the Sox of late, has even brought some better announcing out of Hawk.

I personally don't have a problem with DJ, but the the Hawk/DJ pairing gets really old, really fast when the Sox are losing.

I don't see the Sox paying extra for Steve Stone next year, but I would welcome him in any capacity.

esbrechtel
08-11-2007, 12:04 AM
Am I the only one who feels that during games Stoney seems too monotone? I love his analyzation but it would not hurt him to show a little excitement...

JorgeFabregas
08-11-2007, 12:10 AM
So no one heard him say "Javy Lopez deserves the win tonight" right before Bobby was about to face Jose Lopez? A national broadcaster would be tarred and feathered around here for that.

Nellie_Fox
08-11-2007, 12:40 AM
Am I the only one who feels that during games Stoney seems too monotone? I love his analyzation but it would not hurt him to show a little excitement...I believe the word you were looking for is analysis.

tacosalbarojas
08-11-2007, 01:44 AM
Double-D was PHENOMENAL on pbp though. It seems like so long ago and for such a short time, but he had a nice six year run here before he went to the Dodgers. Wish he was still alive ...he was awesome.
He was the perfect partner for Hawk...60s era guy, pitcher so he gave the flip side of things, and he certainly wasn't going to be intimidated by Hawk. Hmmm, this sounds an awful lot like someone we've been listening to the past few days.

Grzegorz
08-11-2007, 04:51 AM
WSI has earned a reputation of being a place where knowledgeable, articulate fans tend to post their opinions, and we strenuously enforce our rules to keep it that way.

I love this site, I am glad I was told about its existence. It is one, of the few that I can count on my hand , that I visit AT LEAST once if not many more times a day regardless of the season.

"and we strenuously enforce our rules to keep it that way"

You know, I value order and discipline quite highly. The point above is what keeps this site as good as any and better than most.

miker
08-11-2007, 11:19 AM

They're everywhere...just like lawyers! -- "What do you call 100 sports reporters at the bottom of the ocean? A good start."

soxinem1
08-11-2007, 01:42 PM

http://www.nlfan.com/fargo/cards/bittiger98.jpg

'Am I really Peter gammons, or are you?'

balke
08-11-2007, 01:56 PM
I have helped the local media find fans for local TV shows, commercials, and articles. Wilkes was on TV twice.

I have helped local media write stories about the Sox, and their minor league system.

I have helped national media with stories on the Sox after 10/26/2005, as well as interviews on the radio.

I believe it. Its the best place to get runaway rumors, to feel the fans viewpoint of the team out, and to condense all the sources for sox info into one place. You've got an entire nation of Sox fans posting new developements and rumors as soon as they see them.

Plus, the site is run well and a wide array of idiots are booted. I wouldn't be surprised if a thread about Stone that popped up when he first left the Cubs, that implied he might come to the Sox led to the Sox bringing him in now to feel out fan reaction. A lot of people were clammoring for him to show up in the Sox booth when the opportunity first presented itself. He is the perfect person to put in there with Hawk, IMO.

Hawk needs someone who can talk science and rhythm of baseball with him, and to keep him from having to trail off on a story for 5 minutes that goes nowhere. I love the combo.

Frontman
08-11-2007, 04:03 PM

A legit hundred media folks come here for information about the White Sox fanbase? That is very cool.

I'm surprised though that folks would question someone coming here for information? Don't sell yourself (or the group of us) short.

Why would a website forum be any less of a place to get information than going into a local Bridgeport tavern after a game and interviewing folks there? So, we go by nicknames instead of our real names? Like bars don't have guys using nicknames!

All of Daver's points and comments above illustrate just how great of a site this is to talk Sox, baseball, sports, and the occasional "Parking Lot" type topic.

This has been a great site to visit, and a heck of a site to learn about the Sox and baseball in general.

And like I said during the Buehrle contract/trade talks. It never hurts to tell the franchise what we want. If the Sox brass are smart, they pay attention to us here, just as much as the reporters do. Heck, just by talking about it here and some of us emailing Brooks, we saw changes in the way the Sox handle the evening games with Nancy not playing. (Yeah, even though its "canned" I love hearin' us sing "Na Na Na Na" to get a pitcher off the mound.)

So, proud to be a WSI active member, and if anyone is listening?

We want Steve Stone to stay around. Radio or TV, it wouldn't matter. If Steve would like to go back to doing daily broadcasts of Sox baseball; I know I'd love it.

Later,

Tim "Frontman" Scallon (Hey, you never know. I might get my name in the papers!) :wink:

Frater Perdurabo
08-11-2007, 04:14 PM
:tomatoaward: :tomatoaward:

harwar
08-11-2007, 05:03 PM
Its a pure pleasure to listen to one as intelligent and articulate as Stoney is on the air.
I think that teamed with the right person,he is,far and away,the best color guy in the game today.
I wonder how interested that he would be in working with Hawk,who is,in my opinion,becoming an embaressment.
There are times when Hawk pretty much ignores the game and gets so rapped up in his story that he kind of,wakes from a dream,when something unexpected and exciting happens on the field.
I love Hawk for living and dying with every pitch,and his catch phrases are quoted both on and off the air,far and wide in America,but at some point he needs to step back and cinch it up and hunker down or just go grab some bench.

Frater Perdurabo
08-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Tonight is the first time I've been able to see a game with Hawk and Stone in the booth.

What a breath of fresh air. No disrespect to DJ, but Stone is so good that he makes Hawk better.

I also know DJ tends to do better when he's paired with someone else. I'm not sure how good he'd be with Farmer doing PBP, though.

It's a shame Rooney's gone. It would be nice if they could bring back Wayne Hagin or Dave Wills for radio PBP.

Lip Man 1
08-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Front:

I know that while Kenny does not view this site (or any other site as far as I know) there are others in the organization who do.

Lip

Frontman
08-11-2007, 08:08 PM
Front:

I know that while Kenny does not view this site (or any other site as far as I know) there are others in the organization who do.

Lip

My point of the Buehrle contract time was that we all had concerns as fans, and as fans we discussed it here. We started hearing chants at ballgames, in part due to our discussions here.

While I'm sure Kenny has enough sleepless nights, so he doesn't need to be online reading our commentary; I'm sure he does listen to people within the organization who do read our comments. He might not (nor should he) base any decision just on fan opinion; I'm sure he takes into consideration all information he has presented to him before making a decision.

I know Brooks Boyer is aware of WSI, and since his department would obviously deal directly with the fanbase, probably "lurks" or has his people lurk here to read up on what the fans are saying about promotions/events/park conditions/etc.

Tragg
08-11-2007, 10:01 PM
I thought Stone with Hawk was great...Hawk even sounds better with Stone.

Frontman
08-11-2007, 11:25 PM
I thought Stone with Hawk was great...Hawk even sounds better with Stone.

I agree with Laurence Holmes comments on WSCR today about that. I think Hawk brought his "A" game as to not be outdone by Stone.

Nellie_Fox
08-12-2007, 12:46 AM
Today was the first SuperStation game with Hawk and Stone. I was prepared to not like Stone; a knee-jerk reaction to a perceived "Cubness." I was wrong. It was one of the best called games in years.

Could it be that Hawk becomes a different guy when working with a partner whose MLB credentials exceed his own? He and Drysdale were terrific. Stone has a Cy Young award under his belt. Just sayin'.

Frater Perdurabo
08-12-2007, 07:12 AM
Today was the first SuperStation game with Hawk and Stone. I was prepared to not like Stone; a knee-jerk reaction to a perceived "Cubness." I was wrong. It was one of the best called games in years.

Could it be that Hawk becomes a different guy when working with a partner whose MLB credentials exceed his own? He and Drysdale were terrific. Stone has a Cy Young award under his belt. Just sayin'.

I agree. Stone brought out the best in Hawk. Unlike DJ, he also didn't have the annoying habit of brown-nosing Hawk when asking him a question. (I'm not saying that DJ is bad, but often when DJ asks Hawk a question, he phrases it is such a way to go out of his way to point out that Hawk played with and against many great players.

I'm all for showing resepct, but DJ seems awed by Hawk's experience and personality, and Hawk sometimes comes across as mildly condescending toward DJ. This interplay leads the TV viewer to conclude that there is a definite pecking order in the booth.

With Stone, there's none of that. It's obvious they respect each other as former players and broadcasters, and the conversation flows smoothly and naturally.

I also like hearing Stone's "pitcher's" point of view. He brings insight that Hawk and DJ, as former hitters, just don't have.

ZombieRob
08-12-2007, 08:31 AM
I see alot of Stone love in here and rightfully so.But I have heard D.J for years and can't believe the ripping this guy is getting.Of course he has to hold back with Hawk.Hawk like Harry Carey can get people fired rather quick.See Josh Lewin and Wimpy who both got raw deals because of two complete tools.When D.J is on Fox ,he's a completely diffrent color man.Articulate and well spoken.If the Sox do replace him with Stone (which I doubt,since the new Cub owners are sure to take a run at him)Then do it because they want to upgrade and have a diffrent format in the booth.But not because D.J sucks, which he really doesn't.

Grzegorz
08-12-2007, 08:37 AM
I do not have a problem with DJ. If Hawk has "the power of life and death" over other announcers then I'd have to question who gave him such authority.

Hawk is not even in the same plane as Stone when it comes to PBP or Color. I'd love to see Stone broadcast for the White Sox.

ZombieRob
08-12-2007, 08:42 AM
I do not have a problem with DJ. If Hawk has "the power of life and death" over other announcers then I'd have to question who gave him such authority.

Hawk is not even in the same plane as Stone when it comes to PBP or Color. I'd love to see Stone broadcast for the White Sox.
IMO id liek to keep it were they are,just two guys taking about the game as it goes on .each has chimed in on play calling ,and Stone actually challenges Hawk with some tough questions.Hawk isn't going to fire on Stone or bBully him like he does D.J and with Wimpy.Its a nice mutual respect.

Noneck
08-12-2007, 09:45 AM

I'm glad you got by the "Cubness". You have to give any guy with "Sox Blood" in him a shot, even if he has cubs intestinal discharge in him also.

BeefyD
08-12-2007, 12:06 PM
After this week, my vote is for Stone/Hawk. However, if this isn't going to happen, can we at least get Stone/Singleton for the radio? Farmer's bitterness gets old REAL quick.

JermaineDye05
08-12-2007, 12:20 PM
After this week, my vote is for Stone/Hawk. However, if this isn't going to happen, can we at least get Stone/Singleton for the radio? Farmer's bitterness gets old REAL quick.

I don't think it's going to happen, Hawk stated he's really enjoyed the time with Stone that he's been great but make no mistake about it, DJ is his partner.

Lip Man 1
08-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Jermaine:

Bottom line, Hawk will have a say...but it's not his decision. Period.

Like I said a front office person I was in contact with gushed over Stone's ability and the way the two seem to have the chemistry needed.

Personally I can't see how the Sox can't make Stone an offer, given that Singleton from everything I've heard, will not have his deal renewed next month.

Lip

Bobby Thigpen
08-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Stone needs to stay for as long as he wants. He was great this weak and made a bad product enjoyable to watch.

Hawk and Stone in 08!

UserNameBlank
08-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Jermaine:

Bottom line, Hawk will have a say...but it's not his decision. Period.

Like I said a front office person I was in contact with gushed over Stone's ability and the way the two seem to have the chemistry needed.

Personally I can't see how the Sox can't make Stone an offer, given that Singleton from everything I've heard, will not have his deal renewed next month.

Lip
I hope you're right and the Sox do make Stone an offer. I like DJ and everything but I just think Hawk and DJ are a bad match. They are waaaaay too conversational and DJ, I guess out of respect to Hawk, lets Hawk ramble on for too long too often. Stone meanwhile will keep the focus on the game, which keeps Hawk's stories short and to the point. I think the two are a very good match and make each other better.

On DJ, I think he could make a good PBP man over the radio. He's always been pretty good doing games with other partners, and I think he could get better, but I don't know how well he'd fit in with Farmer. I'd love to see Blackjack join on permanently but I believe he's said before that broadcasting may become an option later on after his kids are grown up.

In the meantime, I'd like to see DJ do PBP on the radio and the Sox bring in a pitcher, specifically someone from DJ's era which he could relate to better, to do commentary. I'd like to see someone new brought in who doesn't have DJ's experience who could learn alongside DJ. Basically, I'd want someone who "knows his role and shuts his mouth" when he should. If DJ took over PBP with Farmer as his partner I could see Farmer constantly interrupting and/or talking over DJ in order to fit in his pointless rants about food and golf.

soxinem1
08-12-2007, 07:32 PM
If DJ took over PBP with Farmer as his partner I could see Farmer constantly interrupting and/or talking over DJ in order to fit in his pointless rants about food and golf.

Don't forget Notre Dame Football and St. Rita High School's entire sports program too!:smile:

Nellie_Fox
08-13-2007, 12:28 AM
Don't forget Notre Dame Football and St. Rita High School's entire sports program too!:smile:And he has to mention pretty much any town in southern California that any player has any connection to.

soxinem1
08-13-2007, 12:15 PM
And he has to mention pretty much any town in southern California that any player has any connection to.

I think he does a better job trying to balance himself as a native Chicagoan and current Californian than he does calling games.

DannyCaterFan
08-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Talk about career suicide ! DJ should never have taken that week off, but I'm glad he did. The difference in the booth was amazing!

Tragg
08-13-2007, 05:31 PM
I agree with Laurence Holmes comments on WSCR today about that. I think Hawk brought his "A" game as to not be outdone by Stone.
I guess that's a big possibility. Regardless, it worked.

DJ's pretty good though.
Never heard Singleton
Didn't care for Farmer much when he worked with Rooney.

Brian26
08-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Hawk is not even in the same plane as Stone when it comes to PBP or Color.

No, Hawk is a much better pbp man than Stone. Hawk can call a big play. I imagine Stone's homerun call would be worse than DJ's.

MarySwiss
08-13-2007, 07:42 PM
Pardon me while I swim against the tide. Although I thought Stone did a good job as a fill-in for DJ, IMO, that's all he was. Knowledgeable about baseball, yes Steve is, but boring as hell. (again IMO)

I think DJ complements Hawk nicely. They have a good rhythm. Stone and Hawk had a good rhythm as well, but no better.

billcissell
08-14-2007, 05:05 PM
I learned more in the last week listening to the "Stone Pony" work with Hawk than I did listening to DJ and Hawk ramble on all year long. Great back and forth banter about the "inside" game of baseball. It was both interesting and refreshing in what has been a very trying year for all White Sox fans. I would love to get Stone back for more work in the booth, be it tv or radio.

I believe DJ rejoins Hawk tonight. From a personality standpoint I like Darrin Jackson. I think he works hard, has a pleasant delivery and complements the Hawk very well.

But when it comes to pure insight and revelations, Stone is in a league by himself. Plus, Stone seems to command respect from the Hawk. I'm not sure DJ gets that kind of treatment from his partner.

UserNameBlank
08-14-2007, 05:15 PM
I learned more in the last week listening to the "Stone Pony" work with Hawk than I did listening to DJ and Hawk ramble on all year long. Great back and forth banter about the "inside" game of baseball. It was both interesting and refreshing in what has been a very trying year for all White Sox fans. I would love to get Stone back for more work in the booth, be it tv or radio.

I believe DJ rejoins Hawk tonight. From a personality standpoint I like Darrin Jackson. I think he works hard, has a pleasant delivery and complements the Hawk very well.

But when it comes to pure insight and revelations, Stone is in a league by himself. Plus, Stone seems to command respect from the Hawk. I'm not sure DJ gets that kind of treatment from his partner.
Totally agree with all of this.

Stone adds insight and calls pitches and plays before they happen. I like DJ but he and Hawk more or less only analyze after something happens.

I also think Hawk seems more respectful to Stone because Stone was a pitcher, and a good one at that. Hitters think differently than pitchers do, Hawk and DJ were both hitters, and Hawk was a better hitter than DJ. Stone just adds a different dimension. I'd add that DJ worked better with Blackjack than anyone else for the same reason, even though it was for a short period of time. Plus I think it helps that Hawk and Stone weren't very far apart as far as their eras are concerned so they naturally would have more in common, just like DJ and Blackjack were from the same era and would naturally have more in common.

Anyway, like I said in another post, ideally for me would be Hawk and Stone in the TV booth and DJ and Blackjack on the radio. That would make me a very happy Sox fan.

Mercy!
08-14-2007, 05:59 PM
...Hawk and DJ were both hitters, and Hawk was a better hitter than DJ...:?:

UserNameBlank
08-14-2007, 06:12 PM
:?:
Hawk's stats (http://www.baseball-reference.com/h/harreke01.shtml) vs. DJ's stats (http://www.baseball-reference.com/j/jacksda03.shtml)

TheCommander
08-14-2007, 10:33 PM
Boy do I miss Steve Stone! :whiner:

Mercy!
08-15-2007, 12:48 PM
Hawk's stats (http://www.baseball-reference.com/h/harreke01.shtml) vs. DJ's stats (http://www.baseball-reference.com/j/jacksda03.shtml)Yes, that was my point. It's like claiming that someone is the World's Tallest Midget.

Nellie_Fox
08-16-2007, 12:02 AM
World's Tallest Midget.Seriously, this is a WSI cliché that has been more than run into the ground.

Besides, while I'm no PC expert, isn't "midget" considered to be an offensive term?

kitekrazy
08-16-2007, 02:14 PM
Seriously, this is a WSI cliché that has been more than run into the ground.

Besides, while I'm no PC expert, isn't "midget" considered to be an offensive term?

Would you rather be called a midget or a dwarf?

kitekrazy
08-16-2007, 02:17 PM
I could do without Hawk. My ears have gotten tired of hearing him. I wonder though if it has to do with the team. If the team sucks maybe we assume the announcers suck.

Mercy!
08-16-2007, 02:43 PM
Would you rather be called a midget or a dwarf?
In the future, I propose we use the more sensitive expression, World's Tallest Hypoplastic Dwarf.

jdm2662
08-16-2007, 03:30 PM
I could do without Hawk. My ears have gotten tired of hearing him. I wonder though if it has to do with the team. If the team sucks maybe we assume the announcers suck.

Not really. I was getting tired of Hawk in 2005. I was at least able to turn down the radio to listen to Rooney. I don't have that option anymore... He was much better in the booth when Stone was there, that's for sure. He actually called most of the game. :o:

MeteorsSox4367
08-16-2007, 03:59 PM
Some years ago, DJ lived in a condo building in the South Loop that also happened to employ my brother as its engineer. One day, he asked DJ if he would sign some baseball cards for me. DJ signed them and returned them with his best wishes.

DJ's a great guy, but the difference between he and Stone in the booth is incredible. Stone provides insight and correctly predicts things before they take place. DJ talks about guys "swinging the heck out of the bat."

Please put Stone in the TV booth and DJ in the radio booth with someone.

Nellie_Fox
08-17-2007, 12:10 AM
In the future, I propose we use the more sensitive expression, World's Tallest Hypoplastic Dwarf.How about just dropping the clichés altogether?

Polack
08-17-2007, 08:58 AM
Actually, I much prefer Black Jack McDowell to Stone. I was surprised to hear that a Cub announcer was allowed in the booth.

Nellie_Fox
08-18-2007, 12:53 AM
Actually, I much prefer Black Jack McDowell to Stone. I was surprised to hear that a Cub announcer was allowed in the booth.McDowell did nothing but plug his wife's baby clothes business. I didn't think he brought much of anything to the table. Stone brought some serious analysis.

Of course, living outside the area, I only got one game from each of them, so my sample size is limited.

soxinem1
08-18-2007, 09:34 AM
Right now, Sox broadcasting as a whole on both radio and TV very much matches the team on the field: the combinations and matches do not work.

Even though Singleton has improved a bunch this year, he and Farmer as a broadcast team just stink.

Singleton should be moved to the Comcast pre- and post-game show, and Stone or Tommy John should be added to the broadcast team.

If any of you have not heard TJ in a broadcast, he is really good. Why they didn't get him originally instead of Singleton is baffling.

Then they can do three inning changeovers between radio and TV. The only problem with this is that I find it highly unlikely that Stone would go for this.

I'll bet there is some great minor league announcer out there that would be a great addition. Getting someone hungry for the big time, just like the team on the field, might be the best shot in the arm the entire broadcast needs.

thedudeabides
08-18-2007, 09:37 AM
McDowell did nothing but plug his wife's baby clothes business. I didn't think he brought much of anything to the table. Stone brought some serious analysis.

Of course, living outside the area, I only got one game from each of them, so my sample size is limited.

Stone did bring great analysis, and you can tell his preparation was fantastic. Theres no doubt he did his homework on the Sox players and staff, which I'm sure he's familiar with, but also the opposing teams players and staffs. He knew opposing hitters and pitchers strengths and weaknesses. It's one of the reasons he appears so great at predicting so many outcomes. He'll call a groundball to second because he knows the hitters weakness is low and away and the pitcher is going to exploit that when he's ahead in the count.

That's the difference between Stone and Hawk and DJ. I think Hawk and DJ have just become lazy. They rely on rehashing stories form their playing days instead of doing their homework. They are always babbling on about some game nobody remembers instead of telling us why a team is in the particular defensive alignment and what may come out of it.

Not that I'm trying to compare any of our announcers to Vin Scully, but it's also what makes Vin so great. There's no doubt he's at the ballpark early talking to players and coaches. He has an interesting story about everyone who takes the field. Whether it's about their approach or their background.

I just wish we would hear more about the game that's going on instead of ramblings about old players most people have never heard of. With Stone in the booth you got more of that.