PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is with all the Maggs hate?

Frontman
07-26-2007, 12:34 AM
Went to Wednesday's game. What the hell is going on with Sox fans booing Maggs like that? I know he plays for a division rival and all, but man; I hear some appreciation for him, but for him to get more boos than any sort of appreciation? Especially when he hasn't done much in the way of offense this series? I'll appreciate all he did on the Southside as a member of the Sox. I'll only boo him when he goes deep on us.

Reminded me of how Thome gets treated when the Sox visit Cleveland. Poor behavior.

JB98
07-26-2007, 12:37 AM
Went to Wednesday's game. What the hell is going on with Sox fans booing Maggs like that? I know he plays for a division rival and all, but man; I hear some appreciation for him, but for him to get more boos than any sort of appreciation? Especially when he hasn't done much in the way of offense this series? I'll appreciate all he did on the Southside as a member of the Sox. I'll only boo him when he goes deep on us.

Reminded me of how Thome gets treated when the Sox visit Cleveland. Poor behavior.

I'm indifferent about Magglio. He actually doesn't stir any emotion in me at all. I haven't been to any games in this series, but previously, I've neither booed nor cheered Ordonez in his returns to USCF as a member of the Tigers.

Martinigirl
07-26-2007, 12:37 AM
Last night he didn't get booed.

chisoxmike
07-26-2007, 12:38 AM
Eh, I could care less about Maggs. By Maggs walking, we won a title. We should be thanking him for taking Detroit's money. I don't really consider him a "great White Sox" by any means.

jabrch
07-26-2007, 12:38 AM

If Magglio would have been honest and forthright with the Sox, I'd have been OK with it. But he wasn't. He was dishonest to the fans (It isn't about money) and to the team (not allowing them to examine medical records). I know why the fans in Cleveland boo Thome. He was a jerk to them when he said one day that he wanted to be an Indian forever, then signed a big $ deal to go to Philly because Cleveland wouldn't give him that much. Don't feed me a crap sandwich and tell me it is caviar on toast.

Magglio deserves all the boos he gets from us.

oeo
07-26-2007, 01:10 AM
Turned down a fair offer to return, then later on would not let Sox doctors check out his knee. Afterwards he had some bad things to say.

And he has bad hair.

Nellie_Fox
07-26-2007, 01:11 AM
And he has bad hair.And THERE is the real issue.

MUsoxfan
07-26-2007, 01:16 AM
I won't boo him because as chisoxmike said, we most likely wouldn't have won the title with him.

WhiteSox5187
07-26-2007, 01:34 AM
If Magglio would have been honest and forthright with the Sox, I'd have been OK with it. But he wasn't. He was dishonest to the fans (It isn't about money) and to the team (not allowing them to examine medical records). I know why the fans in Cleveland boo Thome. He was a jerk to them when he said one day that he wanted to be an Indian forever, then signed a big $ deal to go to Philly because Cleveland wouldn't give him that much. Don't feed me a crap sandwich and tell me it is caviar on toast.

Magglio deserves all the boos he gets from us.
I think really Magglio absolutely bashing Ozzie and the Sox before his first visit to the Cell is really what pissed off Sox fans...and Boras, and turning down the offer and the whole knee thing. He really wore out his welcome here, but had he not ripped the Sox in the papers (and Ozzie especially) before he first came here, I don't think he would have been booed.

As for Thome in Cleveland, I think ahd he showed up in Cleveland with the Phillies he would not have been booed. But to show up with the arch-rival White Sox, I think that's what set the fans over the edge. It would have been like if Frank Thomas had showed up in a Twins uniform, or a Cubs uniform. Had Frank gone to the Cubs after '05, he would have been booed horribly upon coming back to the Cell.

WhiteSoxJunkie
07-26-2007, 01:39 AM
As for Thome in Cleveland, I think ahd he showed up in Cleveland with the Phillies he would not have been booed. But to show up with the arch-rival White Sox, I think that's what set the fans over the edge. It would have been like if Frank Thomas had showed up in a Twins uniform, or a Cubs uniform. Had Frank gone to the Cubs after '05, he would have been booed horribly upon coming back to the Cell.

He went to the Phillies as a free agent, meaning he chose to sign with the club. But he was traded to the White Sox, so it wasn't his choice.

Gavin
07-26-2007, 02:16 AM
He's a rival.
He's the league leader in hitting.
He has long hair that makes manly men shiver with fear.
And above all, what has he done for us lately?

That being said, I don't boo him...but I understand..

MUsoxfan
07-26-2007, 02:59 AM
He went to the Phillies as a free agent, meaning he chose to sign with the club. But he was traded to the White Sox, so it wasn't his choice.

It was. He had a no-trade and accepted a trade to the Sox. Chicago is more or less home for him, so he took it with the knowledge that Howard was the Phillies' guy and it would be nice to play in his "hometown"

WhiteSox5187
07-26-2007, 03:17 AM
I know...I'm not saying that I think it's fair that he gets booed, I'm just saying that I think the shock of seeing him in a Sox uniform is WHY he gets booed. If he showed up in a Phillies uniform, I think he would have been cheered.

FedEx227
07-26-2007, 03:35 AM
I know...I'm not saying that I think it's fair that he gets booed, I'm just saying that I think the shock of seeing him in a Sox uniform is WHY he gets booed. If he showed up in a Phillies uniform, I think he would have been cheered.

Not sure about that. I think no matter where he would have went his first time back in Cleveland he would have been booed. They felt betrayed plain and simple.

munchman33
07-26-2007, 08:53 AM

:?:

You evidently missed a lot. Those situations are completely different. Magglio proved himself to be a piece of **** and an overall poor excuse for a human being. Thus the booing.

Over By There
07-26-2007, 09:11 AM
:?:

You evidently missed a lot. Those situations are completely different. Magglio proved himself to be a piece of **** and an overall poor excuse for a human being. Thus the booing.

What munch said. Were you not around while the Maggs era was coming to an end? He acted like a complete ass, torching every bridge he could.

Viva Medias B's
07-26-2007, 09:22 AM
I am indifferent to Magglio. I do neither cheer him nor jeer him. Previous posts outlined why his departure rubbed White Sox fans, including me, the wrong way. That does not mean I would not welcome him back someday, but I would want him to apologize specifically to us for his role in the departure beforehand.

RadioheadRocks
07-26-2007, 02:26 PM
Last night he didn't get booed.

Exactly, not that I condone that sort of thing but I'm pretty sure most of the booing last night went towards Contreras.

chaerulez
07-26-2007, 03:18 PM
I get the Maggilo booing, even though it's not something I would do. I understand people are still unhappy with the way he left the club. With that said, I still don't understand the crying when we booed Carl Everett. Everett left the club with some childish remarks. Yet we can't boo him because he was on a world series team? That I don't agree with. Carl Everett is well known to be a jackass anyway, so I hope all the people that boo Mags don't have a problem with people booing Everett.

WS in 05
07-26-2007, 05:39 PM
I'm indifferent about Magglio. He actually doesn't stir any emotion in me at all. I haven't been to any games in this series, but previously, I've neither booed nor cheered Ordonez in his returns to USCF as a member of the Tigers.

Eh, I could care less about Maggs. By Maggs walking, we won a title. We should be thanking him for taking Detroit's money. I don't really consider him a "great White Sox" by any means.

I agree compeletly with both of these comments. In a game last year I did no cheering nor no booing and like Mike has said without him we got a ring!!!!

Mercy!
07-26-2007, 06:08 PM
I will be forever grateful to Mags for allowing his hair to grow out to clown-like proportions. Last year I clapped like a child whenever I saw him and exclaimed, "Bozo"! It made me feel good.

I have been a little nervous this series because the hair looks merely greasy and stringy under his batting helmet and less Bozo-like. Perhaps instead of booing, those so inclined should throw some of those travel-sized bottles of shampoo into right field.

NSSoxFan
07-26-2007, 06:20 PM
I can care less about the selfish ****er.

southside rocks
07-26-2007, 06:27 PM
I was at the game this afternoon and Maggs didn't draw any boos to speak of ... there were some Tiggers fans near me down the LF line and they cheered when he was announced, but the Sox fans just cheered when he made outs.

I wish the guy all the best and I'm glad he's not on the Sox any longer, I much prefer the team the way Ozzie and Kenny have cast it since then.

Risk
07-26-2007, 06:34 PM
I wouldn't boo him. I just wouldn't respond to him. The way he acted before the 05' season was idiotic. After that, I viewed him like he doesn't exist.

Risk

downstairs
07-26-2007, 06:50 PM
If you're going to the game, save your boos for the guys who diserve it most... your 2007 Chicago White Sox.

getonbckthr
07-26-2007, 06:58 PM
If you're going to the game, save your boos for the guys who diserve it most... your 2007 Chicago White Sox.
But do they DESERVE it?

LongLiveFisk
07-26-2007, 07:14 PM
What munch said. Were you not around while the Maggs era was coming to an end? He acted like a complete ass, torching every bridge he could.

Bingo. I mean, I don't boo the guy personally but we was definitely a dick about things when he left. I don't know why some of these athletes can't just take the high road once in a while. So you think you did a lot for the White Sox? Well the White Sox did a lot for your career too, buddy. Remember that.

And FWIW, I'm glad I don't have to hear that dumb "OEO, Magglio" cheer anymore. :cool:

PS. And your hair sucks, Magglio.

WSox597
07-27-2007, 07:51 AM
Whatever his perceived failings when leaving, he is a hell of a ballplayer. He did well when he was healthy, and I wouldn't mind seeing him playing in the Sox outfield again. He's an excellent hitter, and plays the field well.

Didn't he get hurt in the first place running into Willie Harris? I seem to remember them in a collision.

Frank Thomas wasn't exactly Mr. Congeniality when he was here, or when he left, and some people think he walks on water. I guess it's a matter of perspective.

davenicholson
07-27-2007, 10:01 AM
And FWIW, I'm glad I don't have to hear that dumb "OEO, Magglio" cheer anymore. :cool:

Very well put, Long. For that reason alone, we should all be eternally grateful and able to tolerate anything related to Ordonez' leaving.

Chicken Dinner
07-27-2007, 10:43 AM
Switching agents to Scott Boras didn't help anything either.

soxfan80
07-27-2007, 11:18 AM
IF Maggs signed the Sox offer of 4 years/48 million(even after he went to austria), Joe Borchard would have been your starting Right Fielder in 2005.

No way this team could have won with Borchard's lack of production when it mattered.

upperdeckusc
07-28-2007, 10:45 AM
I think really Magglio absolutely bashing Ozzie and the Sox before his first visit to the Cell is really what pissed off Sox fans...and Boras, and turning down the offer and the whole knee thing. He really wore out his welcome here, but had he not ripped the Sox in the papers (and Ozzie especially) before he first came here, I don't think he would have been booed.

i know some bad things were said, but can anyone dig up any links to where maggs ripped on the sox/ozzie?? i wouldnt mind reading up on that since i dont know all the details about what happened and what was said. thanks in advance:gulp:

tick53
07-28-2007, 11:19 AM
Hawk said the other night that it was OK to boo Magglio, but *****ed about Thome being booed in Cleveland. Hawk has become a contradiction in terms.

HerzogVon
07-28-2007, 11:25 AM
Frank Thomas wasn't exactly Mr. Congeniality when he was here, or when he left, and some people think he walks on water. I guess it's a matter of perspective.

Comparing Maggs to Frank just won't wash. Maggs wanted out, Frank wanted to stay.

Frank should have been allowed to finish his career in the silver and black, but a personality clash wouldn't allow it. It was Kenny's arrogance that drove Frank out, whereas Maggs pretty much hung himself. No, the situations are hardly comparable; particularly when you figure in Frank's many years of loyal service.

Of course, Kenny is regarded on WSI as a do-no-wrong genius who always knows best. Just how many more years of floundering by this franchise it will take before the faithful finally open their eyes is a question yet to be answered.

dickallen15
07-28-2007, 11:55 AM
Switching agents to Scott Boras didn't help anything either.
Then how come people like Jon Danks? Maggs did the White Sox a favor not signing the contract. It worked out perfectly for both parties actually. Maggs got more money and is playing on a good ballclub and the Sox won it all. There really weren't many boos for him at the park this year. I think that has blown over.

dickallen15
07-28-2007, 11:55 AM

Comparing Maggs to Frank just won't wash. Maggs wanted out, Frank wanted to stay.

Frank should have been allowed to finish his career in the silver and black, but a personality clash wouldn't allow it. It was Kenny's arrogance that drove Frank out, whereas Maggs pretty much hung himself. No, the situations are hardly comparable; particularly when you figure in Frank's many years of loyal service.

Of course, Kenny is regarded on WSI as a do-no-wrong genius who always knows best. Just how many more years of floundering by this franchise it will take before the faithful finally open their eyes is a question yet to be answered.[/quote]
Frank Thomas was booed while wearing a White Sox uniform. I don't recall that ever happening to Magglio.

HerzogVon
07-28-2007, 12:30 PM

Of course, Kenny is regarded on WSI as a do-no-wrong genius who always knows best. Just how many more years of floundering by this franchise it will take before the faithful finally open their eyes is a question yet to be answered.
Frank Thomas was booed while wearing a White Sox uniform. I don't recall that ever happening to Magglio.[/QUOTE]

Oh, screw it! Let the mods sort it out....

Now, it's been turned around again!

NOTE: I - ( Herzog Von ) - am the guy who likes Frank and despises Kenny. Is that clear as mud?

Hang on just a dang moment! What's in the quote box did not belong to me. The rest of it was mine, OK? ( For some reason, the quote feature is not functioning at the moment. ) Hope this doesn't add to the confusion.

HerzogVon
07-28-2007, 12:32 PM
Never mind. Apparently "Professor Backwards" is now in charge of the boards. SHEESH! :mad:

caracascat
07-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Give the guy his due. He was a great player when he was here. A piece of human being is Albert Belle or Jamie Navarro. He is better than that. I wish him well as I wish any old Sox player that doesn't play for the Cubs

Palehose Pete
07-28-2007, 12:50 PM
Doesn't anyone remember Maggs saying how it hurt him to watch the Sox win it all in '05? So much so that he said that he couldn't even watch the WS games?

Maggs went for the money, pure and simple, when he went to the Tigers despite saying that he did it because the Tigers were an up and coming team that was serious about winning, implying that the Sox weren't serious about about winning.

Maggs has his $$$ and his family's financial future is safe.

Here's to not caring whether he ever gets a ring. :gulp:

WSox597
07-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by HerzogVon:Of course, Kenny is regarded on WSI as a do-no-wrong genius who always knows best

I don't belong to that particular click, either.

I've never been a Thomas fan, but that is due to his personality. I've never said he wasn't a good hitter. His surly attitude is what soured me on him.

He could have owned Chicago if he had 1/10th the personality of Michael Jordan or even Ernie Banks. But no, he had to constantly whine about every little perceived slight. The media doesn't respect me, the management doesn't respect me, ad nauseum.

Frankly, no pun intended, I was glad when he left. Add to his sparkling personality, all the injuries he had the last few years he was here, and it was addition by subtraction.

I'm in the minority with this opinion, but I'm okay with that. I still like Mags Ordonez as a player, even though he messed up with the way it was all handled back then. I don't know the man personally, of course, but he is a hell of a ballplayer.

The Sox don't win the WS though, with him limping around or Borchard in RF, that is the truth. And they also don't win the WS with Thomas as the injured DH. That's the truth also.

FarWestChicago
07-28-2007, 07:16 PM
( For some reason, the quote feature is not functioning at the moment. )There is nothing wrong with the quote feature. It's working fine. This is a case of user error.

PKalltheway
07-28-2007, 09:08 PM
i know some bad things were said, but can anyone dig up any links to where maggs ripped on the sox/ozzie?? i wouldnt mind reading up on that since i dont know all the details about what happened and what was said. thanks in advance:gulp:

Here's what Maggs said: "We never clicked, even when we played together," Ordoņez said. "I don't consider him my friend. I have nothing to say. I don't want to see him or talk to him. He's my enemy.

"If he comes to me and wants to apologize, I wouldn't accept it." Here's a link if you want to look at more of the article: http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0424alplugger0424.html (http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0424alplugger0424.html)

Here's what Ozzie said back to Maggs (it's a doozy too!):tongue:: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozzie_Guillen#Magglio_Ordo.C3.B1ez (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozzie_Guillen#Magglio_Ordo.C3.B1ez)

mccoydp
07-28-2007, 10:04 PM
Maggs left on bad terms, but, man, I sure did (and still do) enjoy watching the man hit.

StillMissOzzie
07-29-2007, 01:14 AM
Hawk said the other night that it was OK to boo Magglio, but *****ed about Thome being booed in Cleveland. Hawk has become a contradiction in terms.

I think that the Sox winning the World Series made it a little easier to forget about Maggs and the bad terms he departed on. He means nothing to me now.

As for Thome, I wonder...did the Phillies ever play any interleague games against the Tribe when Thome was with them? I understand the Indian fans spewing some venom toward Thome, but maybe they didn't get the chance to properly vent when he was with the Phils, but you'd think that he's been gone long enough for them to just let it rest.

SMO
:gulp:

Frontman
07-29-2007, 09:24 AM
I think that the Sox winning the World Series made it a little easier to forget about Maggs and the bad terms he departed on. He means nothing to me now.

As for Thome, I wonder...did the Phillies ever play any interleague games against the Tribe when Thome was with them? I understand the Indian fans spewing some venom toward Thome, but maybe they didn't get the chance to properly vent when he was with the Phils, but you'd think that he's been gone long enough for them to just let it rest.

SMO
:gulp:

That was my point. Also, its been almost two years since Maggs departed us, and we won the WS with his leaving; so that's why I didn't get booing him. Because at the end of the day, Jermaine Dye in right brought us a WS championship.

dickallen15
07-29-2007, 09:32 AM
Ozzie didn't exactly leave on the best terms either.

kevin57
07-30-2007, 09:51 PM
I hear radio windbags saying that if the Sox hadn't jettisoned Mags and Rowand, we'd have a spectacular outfield right now.

That opinion could be torn apart a dozen ways, but lest anyone pine for Mag's BA this year, I recall his having torrid years at the plate during the regular season, and sucking, really, really sucking in the post-season. Nuf said.