PDA

View Full Version : Minor League Recap

Vsahajpal
04-05-2002, 03:08 AM
hopefully I can do this properly

Charlotte lost, but there were some promising performances

Jim Parque started and gave up just a run on 3 hits(solo HR), while striking out 5. Maybe I was too hard on him? I wouldn't put him in the rotation just yet, but he could definitely join the pen.

Joe Crede was 2-4 with a run scored.

Birm'm lost 8-7 to the devil rays AA affiliate. Miguel Olivo was 1-3 with a 2-run double off of uber-prospect Dewon Brazleton

Southpaw Dennis Ulacia went 5 innings and scattered 7 hits. He allowed 5 runs, but none were earned as the Barons committed 3 errors

Kannapolis lost 13-8
Tim Bittner was hammered, he gave 9 runs (6 earned) in 3 2/3 innings, on 7 hits

Chris Amador, arguably the fastest player in the system was 2-4 with 3 runs scored and 2 stolen bases.

Winston-Salem was off. The Warthogs open the 2002 season on Friday at Kinston.

:gulp:

Chisox_cali
04-05-2002, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
hopefully I can do this properly

Charlotte lost, but there were some promising performances

Jim Parque started and gave up just a run on 3 hits(solo HR), while striking out 5. Maybe I was too hard on him? I wouldn't put him in the rotation just yet, but he could definitely join the pen.

Joe Crede was 2-4 with a run scored.

Birm'm lost 8-7 to the devil rays AA affiliate. Miguel Olivo was 1-3 with a 2-run double off of uber-prospect Dewon Brazleton

Southpaw Dennis Ulacia went 5 innings and scattered 7 hits. He allowed 5 runs, but none were earned as the Barons committed 3 errors

Kannapolis lost 13-8
Tim Bittner was hammered, he gave 9 runs (6 earned) in 3 2/3 innings, on 7 hits

Chris Amador, arguably the fastest player in the system was 2-4 with 3 runs scored and 2 stolen bases.

Winston-Salem was off. The Warthogs open the 2002 season on Friday at Kinston.

:gulp:

Great Info as always Vic. Got one question though, where did or where would you play (in a perfect world) Harris and Hummel?

And don't say "In the Cubs System" That's not an answer :D:

Vsahajpal
04-05-2002, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali

Great Info as always Vic. Got one question though, where did or where would you play (in a perfect world) Harris and Hummel?

And don't say "In the Cubs System" That's not an answer :D:

I'd play Harris in cf and Hummel at 2b. I won't waiver from my previous opinion, Hummel (IMO) invoked memories of Jeff Kent sans le motobicyclette affaire.

He showed me quite a bit at the Arizona Fall League, and did nothing but hit during the spring. He played at SS tonight, and he certainly has the arm, and can range to his left really well, but I question his ability to range to the hole. The ball jumps off his bat, I'm not going out on a limb when I say he has 20+ HR potential and will play above-average at 2b.

Chisox_cali
04-05-2002, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal

I'd play Harris in cf and Hummel at 2b. I won't waiver from my previous opinion, Hummel (IMO) invoked memories of Jeff Kent sans le motobicyclette affaire.

He showed me quite a bit at the Arizona Fall League, and did nothing but hit during the spring. He played at SS tonight, and he certainly has the arm, and can range to his left really well, but I question his ability to range to the hole. The ball jumps off his bat, I'm not going out on a limb when I say he has 20+ HR potential and will play above-average at 2b.

I don't think there is much question that Hummel certainly has the bat, but I guess his D is in question the most, but it sounds like he'd be better than Ray Ray.

I've heard conflicting reports about Harris, first that he preferred the outfield, than that he preferred second base. I also hope he plays in the OF either left or center depending on where LTP plays when his foot heals. If those three can flourish in those positions I really think they can help the Sox in 2003, even though It may be hard to compete with a bunch of rookies but I'm probably getting ahead of myself...

Vsahajpal
04-05-2002, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali

I don't think there is much question that Hummel certainly has the bat, but I guess his D is in question the most, but it sounds like he'd be better than Ray Ray.

I've heard conflicting reports about Harris, first that he preferred the outfield, than that he preferred second base. I also hope he plays in the OF either left or center depending on where LTP plays when his foot heals. If those three can flourish in those positions I really think they can help the Sox in 2003, even though It may be hard to compete with a bunch of rookies but I'm probably getting ahead of myself...

That's my problem, who's questioning his defensive ability, and are they skeptical about his chances at SS? If its in-house, then why not move him to 2b? I'd say their motive is to either they sign Durham or keep Harris at 2b.

Harris just prefers playing, I'd say. His athletic prowess is fairly evident. I don't think he'd be best served playing in a corner OF slot, not only does he not have the bat, but don't you think his skills would be going to waste? I'm not sure if Williams knows it, perhaps he thinks he was just ridding himself of Singleton, but acquiring Harris was a damn good move. It allows Borchard (whom I believe could handle cf, anyways) to move back to a corner position, while upgrading the offesne and not losing much defensively (with Harris in cf, and batting leadoff presumably in 2003).

kermittheefrog
04-05-2002, 04:09 AM
Worth noting: Today the Knights had Hummel at short and Harris at second despite Borchard opening the season on the DL. Justin Baughman, who failed to make the team as a NRI out of spring training, played center. Harris and Hummel combined to go 0-9, Hummel drew a walk.

Ken Vining (remember him?!) gave up a homer to Timo Perez, what's that about? Guess that's why the Sox don't like him anymore.

Salad shooter Ryan Kohlmeier made an appearance, pitched 1.2 innings, allowed a run and struck out 3.

Hey Vic, where did you get your A-ball results? ESPN just has AAA and AA recaps and boxes. Neither BA nor minorleaguebaseball.com had results as of 30 seconds ago.

Randar68
04-05-2002, 08:51 AM
Thanks for picking it up to cover my arse. I can barely get scores to any game not having Chan Ho, Ichirom or Shinjo playing in it, let alone minor league games!

duke of dorwood
04-05-2002, 09:15 AM
Wonder if any of our "braintrust" was there watching Parque on the off day?