PDA

View Full Version : *Official* The Long Ball Does It 7/25/2007 Postgame Thread

MCHSoxFan
07-25-2007, 10:39 PM
Plenty of offense from both teams. Unfortunately, the White Sox lost.

Also, what do you know. Jose was NOT good. AGAIN!! :angry::angry::angry:

A positive is Ryan.

alohafri
07-25-2007, 10:42 PM
This was like the Team Drudgery years of the early 2000s...lots of bombs, no pitching.

TomParrish79
Detroit just strung together hits when they needed them.

We'll get them next time

It's Time
61 games to go.:cool:

chisoxmike
07-25-2007, 10:43 PM
I love all the recent MSU and University of Michigan grads that live in Lincoln Park that make their way to the dangerous south side and act like they've never seen the Tigers play before.

MCHSoxFan
07-25-2007, 10:43 PM
Detroit just strung together hits when they needed them.

We'll get them next time

When you say next time, do you mean TOMORROW?!?! :?:

I sure HOPE so. I will be there.

Rockabilly
07-25-2007, 10:44 PM
Lets put JC in the bullpen.. I don't see any team trading for him

CLR01
07-25-2007, 10:45 PM

Will he pitch out of the bullpen? Isn't there a concession stand they could put him in?

JB98
Sheffield, Polanco and Rodriguez took the day off, and the Tigers scored 13 runs.

This was a pathetic display of pitching by the Chicago White Sox.

letsgosox1592
I totally agree and either have Gavin Floyd start or Charlie Haeger.

whitesoxfan
07-25-2007, 10:50 PM
Good luck trying to trade Contreras. No team is going to want his lame duck ass.

I haven't even been watching the games recently and yet I'm still frustrated as hell tonight.

MCHSoxFan

I would prefer to see Cahrlie Haeger. However, can AJ/Hall catch him for 6+ innings every start? I am not excited to see Gavin, however. Not impressed in what I have seen. Just wondering. Is Geo ready to pitch as a starter? Maybe Masset? I am not sure. Just some ideas.

letsgosox1592
Good luck trying to trade Contreras. No team is going to want his lame duck ass.

I haven't even been watching the games recently and yet I'm still frustrated as hell tonight.

Do you think hes worth a bucket of balls?!?!?!?

santo=dorf
07-25-2007, 10:51 PM
Do you think hes worth a bucket of balls?!?!?!?
How about Jack Wilson and his bad contract? :?:

kittle42
07-25-2007, 10:52 PM

Not the answer, and I do not understand why anyone here thinks he is. In my opinion, you leave Floyd in to see what he gives you over several starts. I am not optimistic.

letsgosox1592
07-25-2007, 10:53 PM
I would prefer to see Cahrlie Haeger. However, can AJ/Hall catch him for 6+ innings every start? I am not excited to see Gavin, however. Not impressed in what I have seen. Just wondering. Is Geo ready to pitch as a starter? Maybe Masset? I am not sure. Just some ideas.

They look messed up trying to catch a Knuckler and a lot of wild pitches and pass balls (We need Doug Mirabelli)

I think he still needs this year to mature and develop and he should compete for a spot maybe next year but for sure in 2009.

Might work, Didnt look bad at all in the start against the Cubs

soxinem1

I think Floyd has to start by default, at least for 5-6 turns. They have to see if he has what it takes, so take the pressure off, tell him he's going to get 5-6 starts, and go from there.

I wouldn't read much into the HR display tonght, the balls were jumping like they had helium in them.

Rockabilly
how come Lance Broadway has gotten a chance to start yet

letsgosox1592
07-25-2007, 10:54 PM
Not the answer, and I do not understand why anyone here thinks he is.

Just by the sucess rate of Tim Wakefield makes me want him to be a good one, he can eat up innings and can be unhittable. He could be use in so many ways and that what I like about him.

JB98
07-25-2007, 10:55 PM

His ERA is over four in Charlotte, and he's walking people left and right. He'd fit right in.

Floyd should be put in the rotation. If the Sox can't trade Contreras, they should put him in the bullpen. It's an automatic loss every time he pitches. We hit four HRs tonight and scored nine runs. We still couldn't bail his ass out.

letsgosox1592
07-25-2007, 10:56 PM

I wouldn't mind see him, but they would have to put him on the 40 man roster and who would they take off/DFA?

JB98
07-25-2007, 10:56 PM
Just by the sucess rate of Tim Wakefield makes me want him to be a good one, he can eat up innings and can be unhittable. He could be use in so many ways and that what I like about him.

Haeger has had a couple decent outings since his recall, but I've yet to see him be unhittable. Check his WHIP if you don't believe me. His strikeout total is very low as well.

letsgosox1592
07-25-2007, 10:57 PM
Haeger has had a couple decent outings since his recall, but I've yet to see him be unhittable. Check his WHIP if you don't believe me. His strikeout total is very low as well.

I never understood what WHIP is...What is it?

JB98
07-25-2007, 10:59 PM
I never understood what WHIP is...What is it?

Walks and hits per innings pitched.

Charlie's WHIP is 2.00, and he has only one strikeout in 10 IP.

HotelWhiteSox
07-25-2007, 11:00 PM
Jose is useless. I hate Haegar too, I was hoping the Sox would trade him when he put up some good numbers in the minors, when the value was high, I hate knuckleballers

SoxSpeed22
Contreras doesn't seem to have command of his pitches as he left a bunch of them over the middle of the plate for hits and missed the target often. Maybe a trade might be needed, but they won't get much for him.

letsgosox1592
Walks and hits per innings pitched.

Charlie's WHIP is 2.00, and he has only one strikeout in 10 IP.

OK...thank you

Frontman
07-25-2007, 11:02 PM
His ERA is over four in Charlotte, and he's walking people left and right. He'd fit right in.

Floyd should be put in the rotation. If the Sox can't trade Contreras, they should put him in the bullpen. It's an automatic loss every time he pitches. We hit four HRs tonight and scored nine runs. We still couldn't bail his ass out.

Agreed. The Sox in past games let Jose down by not even getting into the game, but he just kept putting the Sox in a jam, then today didn't even go 5 innings, forcing Ozzie into the pen, hence the loss. It's not fair to the rest of the team to keep trotting Jose out this year, he's finished.

Hell, he was finished in his so-called "incredible" run last year of how many starts without a loss. Problem with that stat is how many of those games were No Decision, as he was on the hook for the loss, only to have the bullpen/hitters get him off of it.

letsgosox1592
07-25-2007, 11:03 PM
Contreras doesn't seem to have command of his pitches as he left a bunch of them over the middle of the plate for hits and missed the target often. Maybe a trade might be needed, but they won't get much for him.
Used buck of balls for him

Patrick134
07-25-2007, 11:04 PM
Agreed. The Sox in past games let Jose down by not even getting into the game, but he just kept putting the Sox in a jam, then today didn't even go 5 innings, forcing Ozzie into the pen, hence the loss. It's not fair to the rest of the team to keep trotting Jose out this year, he's finished.

Hell, he was finished in his so-called "incredible" run last year of how many starts without a loss. Problem with that stat is how many of those games were No Decision, as he was on the hook for the loss, only to have the bullpen/hitters get him off of it.

I'm sure maybe he had a few sub par outings and was saved during the streak, but not many times. you can get no decisions plenty of times when you pitch well too.

Rockabilly
07-25-2007, 11:07 PM
I want to thank JC for the 05 season but he is done stick a fork in him

Frontman
07-25-2007, 11:08 PM
I'm sure maybe he had a few sub par outings and was saved during the streak, but not many times. you can get no decisions plenty of times when you pitch well too.

Oh, I'll admit he had some games in there that went ND that the defense/bats let HIM down, but quite a few times when DJ or Singelton 5 days later when he started again would make him sound like Cy freakin' Young, when I know that I caught his last start, he stunk, yet due to the Sox scoring enough to tie it/win it outright, got him off the hook.

Tragg
07-25-2007, 11:11 PM
Well, I think we need to "showcase" him 1 more time...nothing to lose. But if it's "no sale", put him in the pen for a while. That may settle him down.

Lost in all the needs is defense. We need to be strong up the middle...good SS, 2B and CF defense is a must to support the pitching, and it hasn't been there this year.

JB98
07-25-2007, 11:13 PM
Well, I think we need to "showcase" him 1 more time...nothing to lose. But if it's "no sale", put him in the pen for a while. That may settle him down.

He's not scheduled to start again before the non-waiver deadline.

Of course, the way he's pitching, it probably wouldn't be too hard to put him through waivers.

Huisj
07-25-2007, 11:13 PM
I love all the recent MSU and University of Michigan grads that live in Lincoln Park that make their way to the dangerous south side and act like they've never seen the Tigers play before.

Ha, they probably haven't seen them play before. Nobody here gave a crap about them until last year when they got good (which I guess is understandable because they had been quite pathetic for a long time before that). But it does get pretty annoying here when I constantly overhear snippets of conversations here and there where people have so many facts wrong because they didn't pay any attention to baseball until last June.

TheCommander
07-25-2007, 11:17 PM
When you say next time, do you mean TOMORROW?!?! :?:

I sure HOPE so. I will be there.

Oh good,so somebody else can rush to start the postgame thread! :wink:

Tragg
07-25-2007, 11:18 PM
He's not scheduled to start again before the non-waiver deadline.

Of course, the way he's pitching, it probably wouldn't be too hard to put him through waivers.
True. And at this point, Kenny would do a dance if he were claimed.

JB98
07-25-2007, 11:22 PM
True. And at this point, Kenny would do a dance if he were claimed.

His next start would be July 31, but I think the trade deadline is in the afternoon some time.

At any rate, that start would be at Yankee Stadium. I'm sure Jose will shut that lineup down.

chisox77
07-25-2007, 11:24 PM
It sure looks like JC may not have another streak of good pitching in him. But there are no easy answers right now. I do not envy KW's position.

:?:

letsgosox1592
07-25-2007, 11:25 PM
His next start would be July 31, but I think the trade deadline is in the afternoon some time.

At any rate, that start would be at Yankee Stadium. I'm sure Jose will shut that lineup down.
I'm pretty sure that 3 eastern time is when the trade deadline ends.

Frontman
07-25-2007, 11:30 PM
It sure looks like JC may not have another streak of good pitching in him. But there are no easy answers right now. I do not envy KW's position.

If Jose was a horse, the Sox have ridden him as far as he can take them. Time for him to go to the glue factory.

dagotony06
07-25-2007, 11:31 PM

He has no one to blame but himself!!

itsnotrequired
07-25-2007, 11:35 PM
If Jose was a horse, the Sox have ridden him as far as he can take them. Time for him to go to the glue factory.

"That horse better win, or we're taking a trip to the glue factory...and he won't get to come."

When will people learn that taking ilsox7 to a game is a sure way to lose?

Sig update time...

Brian26
07-26-2007, 12:11 AM
Curtis Granderson is fun to watch on the bases. I knew he was going to score on that hit to right centerfield as soon as it left the bat, and he made it look easy.

WhiteSox5187
07-26-2007, 12:30 AM
I'm done with Jose...no one is going to take him...sadly I think ya gotta keep putting him out there for a bit hope he can get a couple of good starts (kinda like Freddy did last year) towards the end of the season and maybe move him the off season. I mean, he really can't keep pitching this bad all year, can he???

As for Haeger, ya know, I really like the idea of a knuckleballer out of the bullpen. Not sure why. He's looked great some outtings and looked like **** other ones, I think he's as good as anyone else out there (except Jenks) so I say let's leave him in the bullpen and see what he does. We're just playing for .500 now and truth be told, I don't think that's beyond the realm of possibility.

Gavin
07-26-2007, 01:04 AM
Honestly... what did you people expect out of a JC start? He took a 3-0 lead and ran it to ****. Who the **** do you have to yell at to shake some sense into the common knowledge that JC has zero stuff? Do you trust him with a lead? Should Ozzie?

When would have you pulled him? Would you have pulled him when Ozzie did?

Frater Perdurabo
07-26-2007, 06:34 AM
When would have you pulled him?

I wouldn't have had him start in the first place. :tongue:

The Immigrant
07-26-2007, 08:02 AM
It sure looks like JC may not have another streak of good pitching in him.

The velocity is there, which is encouraging. He just has no command of that forkball that won us the World Series in 2005 and he's leaving his fastball over the middle of the plate. He stinks right now, but I'm not convinced he's done. Once the trade deadline passes put him on the DL with "arm fatigue" or some other imaginary ailment and let him sort things out. If he's any better when he returns we can try to move him in the offseason, otherwise we better pray he's not this bad next year (and the one after that) :o:.

Law11
07-26-2007, 08:25 AM
I wouldn't have had him start in the first place. :tongue:

DJ said something to that effect last night.. hawks response..."who you gonna put in?".. DJ just kinda of laughed at the response basically saying with the laugh yeh I know we have nobody..

palehozenychicty
07-26-2007, 08:32 AM
The velocity is there, which is encouraging. He just has no command of that forkball that won us the World Series in 2005 and he's leaving his fastball over the middle of the plate. He stinks right now, but I'm not convinced he's done. Once the trade deadline passes put him on the DL with "arm fatigue" or some other imaginary ailment and let him sort things out. If he's any better when he returns we can try to move him in the offseason, otherwise we better pray he's not this bad next year (and the one after that) :o:.

Contreras will not be in a White Sox uni next year. It just can't happen.

MeteorsSox4367
07-26-2007, 08:58 AM
Sheffield, Polanco and Rodriguez took the day off, and the Tigers scored 13 runs.

This was a pathetic display of pitching by the Chicago White Sox.

You are correct, sir. It was bad enough to be sitting around a good amount of Tigers fans in the upper tank, but watching Contreras give up leads and pitch like crap against Detroit's JV just plain sucks.

And who the hell is this is Ryan Raburn? Mercy.

ElevenUp
07-26-2007, 09:10 AM
Contreras will not be in a White Sox uni next year. It just can't happen.

He'll be fine. We just need El Duque to call him and give him the old "pitch like a Cuban" speech.

Lip Man 1
07-26-2007, 09:31 AM
Has anyone else noticed that in the past seven games, the Sox have allowed 61 runs?

SIXTY ONE RUNS!

Thatís almost nine runs a game!

If I had the Ďultimate powerí the only pitchers currently on the big league roster or in Charlotte, who would be on the team next season would be Buehrle, Garland, Vazquez, Danks, Thornton and Jenks.

Thatís it.

Iíd do everything that I could to trade everyone else, getting anything back that I could, and if that didnít work out, simply release them.

I donít think itís because Don Cooper is a bad pitching coach, I think itís simply that these guys are that bad, period.

Lip

DaBearsSoxBulls3
07-26-2007, 10:45 AM
Honestly... what did you people expect out of a JC start? He took a 3-0 lead and ran it to ****. Who the **** do you have to yell at to shake some sense into the common knowledge that JC has zero stuff? Do you trust him with a lead? Should Ozzie?

When would have you pulled him? Would you have pulled him when Ozzie did?

Top 5th, 2 outs, 2 on, Sox lead 7-6, Granderson up. Jose had nothing left. Logan was ready in the 'pen for a lefty/lefty situation but Ozzie wanted to see if Jose could get the out and be in line for the win....how stupid was that decision????

Gavin
07-26-2007, 11:52 AM
Top 5th, 2 outs, 2 on, Sox lead 7-6, Granderson up. Jose had nothing left. Logan was ready in the 'pen for a lefty/lefty situation but Ozzie wanted to see if Jose could get the out and be in line for the win....how stupid was that decision????

Ozzieball sells tickets.... to Tigers fans.

soxrme
07-26-2007, 11:54 AM
He has been doing this all year, Logan should have been brought in!

Huisj
07-26-2007, 11:54 AM

He also seems to be back to his terribly slow deliberate pace where the game seems to stop forever between pitches. When he was on a roll in '05, didn't they say part of it was that he worked on picking up the pace a little and working quicker so he could get a rhythm going? What happened to that?

oeo
07-26-2007, 12:28 PM

I don't think he 'has zero stuff.' It's where he's placing the ball, and what he's throwing that's killing him; not to mention the wildness.

Gavin
07-26-2007, 12:32 PM
I don't think he 'has zero stuff.' It's where he's placing the ball, and what he's throwing that's killing him; not to mention the wildness.

You're giving the man way to much credit by saying he's "placing" anything.

spiffie
07-26-2007, 12:38 PM
So other than the inability to throw the ball where he wants it to go he's all over this pitching thing?