PDA

View Full Version : Linebrink to Milwaukee

Mr. White Sox
07-25-2007, 05:15 PM
Per Rotoworld:
Brewers acquired righthanded pitcher Scott Linebrink from the San Diego Padres in exchange for minor league pitchers Joe Thatcher, Will Inman and Steve Garrison.

santo=dorf
07-25-2007, 05:21 PM
Holy crap. Three pitchers for half a season of a free agent to be reliever?!?!?:o:

:reinsy
"We need to cell, sorry, sell."

Rockabilly
07-25-2007, 05:22 PM
with Linebrink going to Milw that might free up Turnbow and a prospect to come to the Sox for Dye

Mr. White Sox
07-25-2007, 05:28 PM
with Linebrink going to Milw that might free up Turnbow and a prospect to come to the Sox for Dye

Yep. My previous wild speculation of Turnbow + Tony Gwinn Jr. for Dye makes a bit more sense now.

More Rotoworld:
It seems like a very high price to pay to get a setup man for 9 1/2 weeks. However, don't think for a second that both sides weren't also factoring in just how much the draft picks that Linebrink will bring at the end of the season are worth. Linebrink has struggled of late, and now that he's out of Petco, his tendency to give up homers will become a bigger problem. Still, he's durable and he'll induce fewer heart attacks than Derrick Turbnow. Besides improving the bullpen, this frees up Turnbow in case the Brewers want to use him to acquire a hitter (Jermaine Dye?).

oeo
07-25-2007, 05:35 PM
Holy crap. Three pitchers for half a season of a free agent to be reliever?!?!?:o:

Not to mention Linebrink has been awful lately. :dunno:

areilly
07-25-2007, 05:48 PM

Must be the Brewers' way of saying it's now or never for their playoff chances.

oeo
07-25-2007, 05:56 PM
Must be the Brewers' way of saying it's now or never for their playoff chances.

:?:

If they were a bunch of old guys, but that's a young team. They have the brightest future (along with the Pirates) in that division.

FedEx227
07-25-2007, 06:00 PM
2007 Minor League Stats

Joe Thatcher (L, 26 years old)
38 games, 3-1, 1.42 ERA, 38.0 IP, 30 H, 6 ER, 53 Ks, 9 BB, .213 OBA

Will Inman (R, 20 years old)
21 games, 5-8, 2.97 ERA (5.45 in SOU), 118.1 IP, 94 H, 39 ER, 140 Ks, 39 BB, .219 OBA

Steve Garrison (L, 21 years old)
20 games, 8-4, 3.44 ERA, 104.2 IP, 105 H, 40 ER, 74 Ks, 28 BB, .253 OBA

Not sure what to say about this trade. Inman looks like a hell of a pitcher and Thatcher not too bad himself. I guess it's all or nothing time for the Brewers, but these types of trades rarely work out, especially when they are 3 pitchers and even moreso when two are lefties.

areilly
07-25-2007, 06:01 PM
:?:

If they were a bunch of old guys, but that's a young team. They have the brightest future (along with the Pirates) in that division.

True, but there's another team in that division that might suddenly find itself under wild new ownership that can't wait to win (read: buy) a championship for the North Side of Chicago. It's possible the Milwaukee front office is betting that the time to win the NLC on talent and small-market money is growing short.

I could be wrong, and hopefully am. Go Brew Crew.

Mr. White Sox
07-25-2007, 06:03 PM
2007 Minor League Stats

21 games, 5-8, 2.97 ERA (5.45 in SOU), 118.1 IP, 94 H, 39 ER, 140 Ks, 39 BB, .219 OBA

Not sure what to say about this trade. Inman looks like a hell of a pitcher and Thatcher not too bad himself. I guess it's all or nothing time for the Brewers, but these types of trades rarely work out, especially when they are 3 pitchers and even moreso when two are lefties.

It looks like a hell of a trade for San Diego, as they get three possible major-league pitchers for linebrink and the 1st and 2nd round draft picks (which have a less likely chance of making the big leagues, as the P's traded are all closer to the majors in talent-level).

oeo
07-25-2007, 06:08 PM
True, but there's another team in that division that might suddenly find itself under wild new ownership that can't wait to win (read: buy) a championship for the North Side of Chicago. It's possible the Milwaukee front office is betting that the time to win the NLC on talent and small-market money is growing short.

I could be wrong, and hopefully am. Go Brew Crew.

The Twins have won with 'small-market money' for years, now. The A's do the same thing. It's not about the money you spend (see: Yankees). If the Cubs spend anymore money, they're going to be handcuffed for years down the road. Alfonso Soriano isn't young, he'll probably start declining in a few years...that should be money well spent. Carlos Zambrano reminds me too much of Freddy Garcia...I think the pitches will catch up to him and he'll start losing velocity in 2 or 3 years; if they plan on going 6 years with him, that's risky.

letsgosox1592
07-25-2007, 06:33 PM
Yep. My previous wild speculation of Turnbow + Tony Gwinn Jr. for Dye makes a bit more sense now.

:

That would be awesome to get both of those guys for Dye, who is gone after this year.. So our outfield for 2008 would be Ryan Sweeney in right, Tony Gwinn Jr. in center and Jerry Owens in left

StillMissOzzie
07-25-2007, 06:47 PM
I hope that the Sox can strike a better deal for Dye than Derrick Turnbow. He's another Andy Sisco, IMHO.

SMO
:(:

JB98
07-25-2007, 06:48 PM
That would be awesome to get both of those guys for Dye, who is gone after this year.. So our outfield for 2008 would be Ryan Sweeney in right, Tony Gwinn Jr. in center and Jerry Owens in left

I'd prefer Sweeney in left, Gwynn in center and someone who can knock the damn ball out of the park in right.

champagne030
07-25-2007, 07:12 PM
I hope that the Sox can strike a better deal for Dye than Derrick Turnbow. He's another Andy Sisco, IMHO.

SMO

I'd prefer Carlos Villanueva to Turnbow......the Brewers probably would not.

UserNameBlank
07-25-2007, 07:20 PM
Great. An OF with a combined 10 HR/season power. If we're going to do that we might as well ship off everyone except Buehrle. At least then we can get some real prospects.

I love to watch a speedy team, but damn people, we play in Coors East. We should at least try to build a lineup with that in mind.

getonbckthr
07-25-2007, 08:11 PM
What is SD thinking? I understand 3 prospects for a FA to be RP however, you just helped a team who you might be competing with for a WC spot and in the playoffs.

RoobarbPie
07-25-2007, 08:24 PM
2007 Minor League Stats

When I was reading up on a Brewer board earlier this year, people were raving about Inman about as much as Gallardo. With 140 K's in 118 IP, I can see why. I applaud Milwaukee since their "going for it" this year, but Inman does seem like a player that you wouldn't give up in a rental deal like this...

peeonwrigley
07-25-2007, 10:06 PM
What is SD thinking? I understand 3 prospects for a FA to be RP however, you just helped a team who you might be competing with for a WC spot and in the playoffs.

Only thing I can think of is SD made this deal to make another deal. A team like the Sox has no use for a rental guy this year, and that was SD's best trading piece. Now they have solid pitching prospects that they can flip to acquire a hitter from a ****ty team that needs pitching help for the future (Dye from us, Teixiera from Texas).

y2j2785
07-25-2007, 10:54 PM
Only thing I can think of is SD made this deal to make another deal. A team like the Sox has no use for a rental guy this year, and that was SD's best trading piece. Now they have solid pitching prospects that they can flip to acquire a hitter from a ****ty team that needs pitching help for the future (Dye from us, Teixiera from Texas).

They dont need Teixera as they have no room for him as Adrian Gonzalez is their 1B. They might not even want another OF as they may think that Milton Bradley solved their 3rd OF spot.

thomas35forever
07-25-2007, 11:01 PM
Linebrink's struggled lately (I dropped him from my fantasy team in favor of Marte), but Milwaukee needs somebody in that bullpen to get them back on track.

soxinem1
07-25-2007, 11:03 PM
2007 Minor League Stats

I think this was a bold and gutsy move by Kevin Towers, but he had the depth to deal from. Plus Linebrink being a FA, you have to wonder how one can swing three pitchers for a middle/set up guy in his walk year.

As far as the stats by the players SD aquired, just look at Dewon Day's stats in AA this year and tell me if that tells the whole story....

FedEx227
07-26-2007, 02:35 AM
I think this was a bold and gutsy move by Kevin Towers, but he had the depth to deal from. Plus Linebrink being a FA, you have to wonder how one can swing three pitchers for a middle/set up guy in his walk year.

As far as the stats by the players SD aquired, just look at Dewon Day's stats in AA this year and tell me if that tells the whole story....

Well of course it doesn't, but the stats are worth noting. It also depends on how you look at them. Thatcher by first glance may appear to be the better of the 3, but when you look at how dominating Inman has been 140 Ks in 20 games, you'll allow for a bit of an ERA hike.

Minor league stats are impossible to really take with a grain of salt because you never know the conditions. Could one guy be working on a curve ball all season? If so, he might be prone to giving up more runs, more walks, etc. Is a guy ready and just going through the motions? Possibly.

So it's obviously not a tell-all, but it's really all we have at this point.

russ99
07-26-2007, 09:40 AM
2007 Minor League Stats

Inman was the real return here, the other two are throw-ins (Thatchers' a bit too old to be a true prospect despite his good numbers this season) who may or may not develop into major league pitchers.

I'm surprised the Sox didn't try to swing a similar offer (1 blue chipper + 2 secondary arms) with their surplus of minor-league starters.

At least this sets the market at a less-than-insane level for other relievers at the deadline, and hopefully the Sox can grab one.

southside rocks
07-26-2007, 10:02 AM

SMO

I feel the same. Every time I've seen Turnbow pitch, he's blown up -- he seems to have control issues? H'mmm, there's quite enough of that going on in the Sox bullpen already!

I'd really like to see the Sox get a veteran reliever, and I don't know who ... just not another guy who's 20-something and who has a good arm but is liable to walk four batters in any given outing. That ****'s gotten really old.

Foulke You
07-26-2007, 12:31 PM
I feel the same. Every time I've seen Turnbow pitch, he's blown up -- he seems to have control issues? H'mmm, there's quite enough of that going on in the Sox bullpen already!

I'd really like to see the Sox get a veteran reliever, and I don't know who ... just not another guy who's 20-something and who has a good arm but is liable to walk four batters in any given outing. That ****'s gotten really old.
Well, I can see why the Sox would be intrigued by Turnbow. The guy has one of the most explosive fastballs in all of baseball. If there is a 50% chance that Cooper and the coaching staff could correct his flaws, it might be worth taking a risk on him because arms like Turnbow's don't grow on trees. We would only be parting with 2 months of Jermaine Dye for him too.

That being said, I can see why Sox fans would cringe a bit at the deal given that strong arms like Aardsma and Sisco blew up in our face this season. However, Turnbow's arm is better than both of those guys and might be worth a look.

chisoxmike
07-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Well, I can see why the Sox would be intrigued by Turnbow. The guy has one of the most explosive fastballs in all of baseball. If there is a 50% chance that Cooper and the coaching staff could correct his flaws, it might be worth taking a risk on him because arms like Turnbow's don't grow on trees.

I believe this is what Williams said to try and convince Sox fans at SoxFest that Andrew Sisco and David Aardsma would make the 2007 bullpen a "lockdown bullpen."

ComiskeyBrewer
07-28-2007, 03:38 PM
When I was reading up on a Brewer board earlier this year, people were raving about Inman about as much as Gallardo. With 140 K's in 118 IP, I can see why. I applaud Milwaukee since their "going for it" this year, but Inman does seem like a player that you wouldn't give up in a rental deal like this...

Inman has also struggled really badly since making the Jump to AA(as many scouts predicted he would). Brewers might have traded a bit too much for him, but if he walks, they get a nice comp pick.